North Rawly and North Cackilacki, as seen by a SoCal exile

Tell us about yourself. But only things you want us to know.
Foggy
Dick Tater
Verified: as seen on qvc zombie apocalypse

Post by Foggy »

Well, well, well. (My dad always said, "Three wells make a river.")

Google Fiber showed up yesterday for the third time, and for the third time I assplained to the team leader that 1) they were not to cut the AT&T cable, and 2) they had told me twice already that they were going to mark where the AT&T cable is before they started working, but nobody had marked it, and 3) if he could bury the Google cable without cutting the AT&T cable, he would continue dealing with me, but if'n he cut the AT&T cable, he would have to deal with ol' Wifehorn, because she needs that cable.

And the only reason she had me take the lead on this is that she's still so mad about Spectrum (the former Time-Warner) cutting the AT&T cable when they tried it. Anybody cuts her cable again, and SNAP! She will bite their head clean off. Don't cut her cable, OK?

And the dude told me he could do it and he had some way to find where the AT&T cable is, and by gum he got it done. Google Fiber optic cable and AT&T fiber optic cable, we have it all. :biggrin:

But they'll come back in a few days to actually connect the Google one.

I have a t-shirt that I got from Google Fiber, it's a map of North Carolina with little Googy color dots over Raleigh, and it says, "Fiber is coming."

That shirt is at least 8 years old, but they finally got here. :smoking:
The more I learn about this planet, the more improbable it all seems. :confuzzled:
Slim Cognito
Verified:

Post by Slim Cognito »

I've never met Wifehorn, well, I've never met Foggy either, but I really really want to. She sounds like my kind of people.

I just reread that. I'd like to make it clear that I'd like to meet both of you. I hope that didn't come across as a snub.
My Crested Yorkie, Gilda and her amazing hair.

ImageImageImage x4
Foggy
Dick Tater

Post by Foggy »

No, I understand completely, and I agree. You can't really get to know me until you see me with my wife.

Our children left home last summer, and we're empty nesters now, and we are getting more, umm ... I think integrated might be a good word. In the sense that we each have our areas of responsibility, and we coordinate effortlessly, but we're still just a couple of weird loudmouth best friends, too also.

Her office is downstairs and mine is upstairs, so we spend the day hollerin' at each other. Yes, we have computers and could chat, or even have a streaming video app. Yes, I could easily install an intercom system so we wouldn't have to yell at each other all day. What fun would that be? No thank you very much. We do a lot of communication. 8-)

And then we walk two miles every day, and have wonderful conversations on the North Raleigh Greenway. This week they're releasing a lot of water into the river from the lake upstream, the water level is really high, and the high school kids are jumping off the train bridge, forty feet above the river. Awesomeness. And the whole world is exploding with color and new life.

But anything needs to be done around this place, we're like a well-oiled machine. Snake removal from the garage? I got it. Find a place to stay in Hilton Head that's walking distance from the beach? She's got that one, and she found an excellent and affordable place that we will see in August.

We're a team built on love and competence, and I hope that doesn't change any time soon. But my friends here understand how fragile we all are, and how quickly our lifestyle could be destroyed. There are several people here who were part of a team just like ours, but suddenly the team was gone, and I can't even imagine how hard it must be to adjust and keep going, one foot in front of the other.

If anything happened to my wife, I would have to use the example of my dad to get through it. My dad lost his wife and his only brother, who was his best friend, in the same month, July 2005. He's been alone for 18 years now, except for children, grandchildren, and now a couple of great-grandchildren. But basically, everyone he ever knew who was about his age is now dead and gone.

And it's interesting, because for more than fifty years, you could say the same about my dad as I said about myself above, that you wouldn't really know him until you saw him with my mom. My mom was a mean ass, violent alcoholic and I didn't like her none at all, but by gum he never stopped loving her and they actually were a functional team when they were together .. well, at least until the Sun set and she started drinking.

She could drink me under the table any time. My god, that woman could drink. And I inherited the alcoholic gene, and it has had an enormous impact on my life in a negative way, but I am fighting it every day. She drank herself to death when she was just 3 years older than I am today, and I hope to live a little longer than 3 more years.

But anyway, yeah. For more than fifty years, my parents were an integrated team, so you couldn't really know one of them separately, and then for 18 years one of them hasn't been around, and I got to know my dad just for himself.

I like him better without my mom around, but don't tell him. :talktothehand: :shh:
Edit: When I was about 8 years old, one morning my mom hadn't got up yet and my dad was at sea for several months so she was my only parent, so I went to see why she wasn't awake, and she had a big bandage completely around her head.

After my siblings and I had gone to bed, she had drunkenly stumbled into a lamp and fell along with the lamp, and she got a scalp wound, and she had already driven herself to the hospital in the middle of the night, leaving her children asleep, and got it stitched up. Then she drove home to sleep it off. I had to get us all ready for school without her help that day.

My mom. :|

Well, she had her good points, too also. ;)
The more I learn about this planet, the more improbable it all seems. :confuzzled:
Foggy
Dick Tater

Post by Foggy »

Went to Durham Bulls baseball park today with ol' Wifehorn, attending an insurance event. No, not that company, the big one!

Hit the bull, win a steak! Hit the grass, win a salad!
hit_the_bull.jpg
hit_the_bull.jpg (171.49 KiB) Viewed 161 times
Foggy
Dick Tater

Post by Foggy »

sklupcher.jpg
sklupcher.jpg (88.82 KiB) Viewed 161 times
northland10
Verified: ✅ I'm me.

Post by northland10 »

Foggy wrote: Tue Apr 25, 2023 8:08 am And the dude told me he could do it and he had some way to find where the AT&T cable is, and by gum he got it done. Google Fiber optic cable and AT&T fiber optic cable, we have it all. :biggrin:
I remember watching the Ameritech (originally a Ma Bell part of AT&T that was split off and later became part of SBC, which re-became, without CAPS, at&t.. where was I.. oh yeah) looking for issues with their wires at the camp I was working for. They would put some device on one end of the line so they could track the signal on the buried cables with some tool they could just swing back and forth over the ground, above the buried cable.

I don't know if Google needed to attach a device or if they were able to use something that would detect both metallic items and the electrical signals in the cable.

If Spectrum is anything like Comcast, they use third-party contractors that are not well known for their diligence in following proper processes and not cutting other underground cables.
101010 :towel:
Foggy
Dick Tater

Post by Foggy »

Yes, well ever since we got Google Fiber, everything has worked flawlessly and fast.

And they gave me a "mesh" range extender which is the latest technology for extending my wifi signal so my sons don't complain about laggy internet speeds.

I had horrible experiences with Spectrum (the former Time Warner Cable), which spends enormous amounts on advertising to get me back, but virtually nothing on training their techs. One in fifteen really knew what they were doing.

But my experience with AT&T was only bad, not horrible. I didn't have anywhere near as many problems with the service, and they were pretty responsive with good quality techs.

And now with Google Fiber, I have had zero problems, so I have no idea how responsive they are when something goes horribly wrong. In a perfect world, I will never find out.

I thought ol' Wifehorn wouldn't be able to live with only streaming Tee Vee, but she signed up for YouTube TV and Netflix (since long ago) and she's happy with her TV choices.

Return to “Introduce Yourself”