Spring forward.
To delete this message, click the X at top right.

Suicide

Suranis

Suicide

Post by Suranis »

Thought a general suicide topic might be helpful

This is something my brother Mark is involved in. There's several people shown in photos at the article (read the whole lot) but he isnt one of the people shown. He has some stories.

http://limerickvoice.com/news/an-evenin ... er-angels/
Sounds and symbols mean different things in different places. In Dublin, the sound of a helicopter can signal a thermal imaging sweep for illegal grow houses in the drugs trade. Across Irish motorways, the same sound may be a sign of a collision and a note to drivers to expect heavy traffic. To the people of Limerick, the whirring of a helicopter’s rotor blades overhead can often mean someone’s in the river.

Over the last decade, Limerick city has almost consistently had the highest suicide rates in Ireland. The city maintained the grim title exclusively from 2012 to 2016.

In 2014, the average suicide rate in Ireland per 100,000 people was 11. In Limerick it was 27.1. In 2019, the Irish average was 8.5. In Limerick, 16.7.

These figures represent the city alone. A separate tally is kept for the rest of the county.

One group that’s been working tirelessly to help fight these worrying figures is Limerick Suicide Watch (LSW).

Limerick Suicide Watch

Limerick Suicide Watch was founded in 2016 in response to the growing suicide crisis in the city. Its members can be seen four nights a week patrolling the banks of the Shannon in the early hours of the morning dressed in bright orange.

Since its foundation, the group has clocked up more than 800 ‘interventions’ – its term for providing aid and assistance to those contemplating, and often attempting, suicide.

Between May 2020 and May 2021, the team clocked up 87 interventions alone.

To date, LSW is believed to have directly saved more than 180 lives. Its team of more than 70 volunteers patrol Limerick’s quays a collective 5,540 hours each year.

In a single night, over four-hour shifts that regularly run far longer than their allotted time, LSW volunteers will walk more than 10 kilometres searching the quays and banks of the Shannon for signs of people in distress or worse.

Limerick Voice reporter Adam Leahy took to the streets with the Limerick Suicide Watch team, shadowing its members on patrol on a cold, rainy night in the Treaty City.
Hic sunt dracones
Chilidog

Suicide

Post by Chilidog »

My family is devastated right now.

My son's girlfriend killed herself this morning.

I don't know what to say or do.
AndyinPA
Verified:

Suicide

Post by AndyinPA »

I'm so sorry. :bighug:
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
Tiredretiredlawyer
Verified: ✅🐴🐎🦄🌻5000 posts and counting

Suicide

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer »

:bighug:

I dealt with a clinical depression about 28 years ago. The psychic pain was severe enough I could understand the desire to commit suicide.
"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.
neonzx
Verified: 🤩✅✅✅✅✅🤩

Suicide

Post by neonzx »

Chilidog wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2024 5:26 pm My family is devastated right now.

SAY very little and DO just by sitting with him. Let your son show you what he needs as he navigates this trauma.
sad-cafe

Suicide

Post by sad-cafe »

OMG

How old is your son?

So sorry
pipistrelle

Suicide

Post by pipistrelle »

:brokenheart:
p0rtia

Suicide

Post by p0rtia »

OMG --> :heart:
p0rtia

Suicide

Post by p0rtia »

neonzx wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2024 5:39 pm

SAY very little and DO just by sitting with him. Let your son show you what he needs as he navigates this trauma.
:yeahthat:
Volkonski
Verified:

Suicide

Post by Volkonski »

My brother's best friend in high school and college committed suicide during his junior year in college.

That was fifty years ago and I still don't know what I should have done or said.
“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
Annrc
Verified:

Suicide

Post by Annrc »

:bighug: Chilidog. As a survivor of family suicide, I would say to make him feel totally accepted with no blame placed on anyone. After my father did himself in, we, as his young children were made to feel unacceptable by other children in the neighborhood, not good enough. So sad. My heart goes out to your son and to you.
bill_g
Verified: ✅ Checked Republic ✓ ᵛᵉʳᶦᶠᶦᵉᵈ

Suicide

Post by bill_g »

neonzx wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2024 5:39 pm

Excellent advice.

SAY I'm here
DO listening
MsDaisy 2
Occupation: Retired Medic and a Grandma (AKA Moppie) until I die
Verified:

Suicide

Post by MsDaisy 2 »

Off Topic
Suranis wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 7:21 am Thought a general suicide topic might be helpful

This is something my brother Mark is involved in.
:snippity:
:oldlady: I don't think I knew you had a brother or else my demented brain just forgot. Is he anywhere near as tall as you? I do remember that the top of my 5'4" head came just about up to your arm pit.
Suranis

Suicide

Post by Suranis »

MsDaisy 2 wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2024 6:27 pm
Off Topic

:oldlady: I don't think I knew you had a brother or else my demented brain just forgot. Is he anywhere near as tall as you? I do remember that the top of my 5'4" head came just about up to your arm pit.
Off Topic
This is a photo of Mark and I with my Brother in law at a wedding a few years back.

Wedding.jpg
Wedding.jpg (69.95 KiB) Viewed 491 times
Hic sunt dracones
sad-cafe

Suicide

Post by sad-cafe »

I have to admit- in my 57 long years the thought has crossed my mind a time or two, but I am a coward
bill_g
Verified: ✅ Checked Republic ✓ ᵛᵉʳᶦᶠᶦᵉᵈ

Suicide

Post by bill_g »

Suranis wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2024 7:08 pm
MsDaisy 2 wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2024 6:27 pm
Off Topic

Off Topic
This is a photo of Mark and I with my Brother in law at a wedding a few years back.

Wedding.jpg
Good picture.

And you're the OP. So, it's only OT if you say so.
jez
Verified: ✅ Medicated

Suicide

Post by jez »

sad-cafe wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2024 7:20 pm I have to admit- in my 57 long years the thought has crossed my mind a time or two, but I am a coward
It's something I struggle with on an almost daily basis. And yes, I see a therapist and it does help. As for your son... as other's have said, when he wants to talk about it, reassure him it is not his fault. There is nothing he could have done.

Some attempts are a cry for help and (for lack of a better term) half-hearted. They don't really mean it, or are too scared to actually self-delete, but they need to find a way to tell someone they are hurting. It's when someone that has been severely depressed in the past suddenly seems at peace with themselves that you should begin to worry. That means the decision has been made to get it right this time.

For myself, I'm too tired to live or die, so I do my best to find things that make me want to continue on this mudball. My dog is a really big portion of it.

Chili, just be there for him to cry, rage, yell, blame himself, blame her, blame the color of the leaves. Then let him know he is loved and it's not his fault. Sometimes the psychic pain of being alive is just too much for some.

:brokenheart: :brokenheart: :bighug: :bighug:
“What is better ? to be born good or to overcome your evil nature through great effort ?”

~Paarthurnax
AndyinPA
Verified:

Suicide

Post by AndyinPA »

"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
June bug

Suicide

Post by June bug »

So, so sorry, Chili. ❤️ All you can do is just be there for him with all the love I know you have for him. Peace to you all. ❤️
Fiascoist

Suicide

Post by Fiascoist »

raison de arizona
Verified: ✔️ he/him/his

Suicide

Post by raison de arizona »

So sorry to hear this, :bighug:
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
Chilidog

Suicide

Post by Chilidog »

sad-cafe wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2024 5:44 pm

OMG

How old is your son?

So sorry
He's 25, she was 24.

She was dealing with a lot of stress from dropping out of a grad school program that was unsuited for her.

She was in therapy, and there were no outward signs. Everyone thought vthat she vturned vthe corner on that part if her life and was moving on.
p0rtia

Suicide

Post by p0rtia »

Heartbreaking. :brokenheart:
Foggy
Dick Tater
Verified: as seen on qvc zombie apocalypse

Suicide

Post by Foggy »

Oh, Chilidog. I am so, so sorry. I have no words.
Out from under. :thumbsup:
roadscholar

Suicide

Post by roadscholar »

Oh man. Sad day. :cantlook:
The bitterest truth is more wholesome than the sweetest lie.

Return to “Foreign Countries and Culture”