Earthquakes and/or Volcanoes

John Thomas8

Post by John Thomas8 »

He's interesting and I love the on site stuff he does. Points out neat features that I would miss.
RVInit

Post by RVInit »

There's a lot of things that need to change. One specifically? Police brutality.
--Colin Kaepernick
RVInit

Post by RVInit »

Short report of the incident. The missing man wasn't actually seen falling into the crack, but he is missing and his tools were found in the crack. Apparently the crack is up to 100 feet deep.

https://grapevine.is/news/2024/01/10/se ... grindavik/
There's a lot of things that need to change. One specifically? Police brutality.
--Colin Kaepernick
RVInit

Post by RVInit »

--Colin Kaepernick
much ado

Post by much ado »

Eruptions started again in Iceland about 2:58 am EST.

Live video on YT. You have to view it on YT and press "play" arrow to start it.

RVInit

Post by RVInit »

Shawn Willsey has the drone going on his live feed. Depending on what time you open this you may need to adjust where you start on the timer. He didn't start the drone until further into his live stream, and the live is still going, so I don't have a time start where the drone starts, sorry about that.
Edit: He just said he's been streaming for about an hour. So, if you watch this after the stream ends you can fast forward to somewhere short of the hour mark if you just want to see the part where the drone footage starts. He uses a company that provides drones all over the world and you can set up in advance to be able to pilot a drone in an area of interest. They supply someone to be ready to take over the controls in case of some kind of technical glitch so the drone doesn't crash and burn because of being operated from somewhere on the other side of the world. Pretty cool.
--Colin Kaepernick
RTH10260
Verified: ✔️ Eurobot

Post by RTH10260 »

Great to follow. I was able to view the presentation at approx -2h15mins from the time of posting this, where a fresh fissure just opened up a few meters/feets from the first house of the hamlet. In the extension of the existing outpreak and working its way back towards the main outbreak.
RVInit

Post by RVInit »

RTH10260 wrote: Sun Jan 14, 2024 9:17 am Great to follow. I was able to view the presentation at approx -2h15mins from the time of posting this, where a fresh fissure just opened up a few meters/feets from the first house of the hamlet. In the extension of the existing outpreak and working its way back towards the main outbreak.
Yes, that was amazing. It started with an outpouring of gases and a smallish plume of lava and then grew in real time as the drone was flying. I feel really bad for the homeowners on the edge of that little town. :(
--Colin Kaepernick
RVInit

Post by RVInit »

Here is a great live feed from BBC. Shit. Lava from the fissure that opened up while I was watching live has now reached homes. Damn.

https://www.bbc.com/news/live/world-eur ... n=BBCS_BBC
--Colin Kaepernick
p0rtia

Post by p0rtia »

Tx :bighug: :o
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

Volcano erupts in Iceland, flowing lava reaches fishing town

https://www.reuters.com/world/europe/vo ... 024-01-14/
A volcano erupted in southwest Iceland on Sunday, with molten lava flows reaching the outskirts of a small fishing town by midafternoon, setting some houses alight, although the town was evacuated earlier and no people were in danger, authorities said.

Fountains of molten rock and smoke spewed from fissures in the ground across a wide area stretching to the town of Grindavik, where at least one house had caught fire, live video published by daily Morgunbladid showed.

"No lives are in danger, although infrastructure may be under threat," Iceland's President Gudni Johannesson said on social media site X, adding there had been no interruptions to flights.

The eruption began early on Sunday north of the town, which just hours before had been evacuated for the second time since November over fears that an outbreak was imminent amid a swarm of seismic activity, authorities said.

Authorities built barriers of earth and rock in recent weeks to try to prevent lava from reaching Grindavik, some 40 km (25 miles) southwest of the capital Reykjavik, but the latest eruption have penetrated the town's defences.

The nearby geothermal spa Blue Lagoon had closed on Sunday, it said on its website.
“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
RVInit

Post by RVInit »

This is kind of interesting. It's nighttime in Iceland and apparently there are lots of drones in the sky, so this guy is being careful. But he's showing the work crews that are desperately building more walls. The first one is working pretty well, as far as lave is not getting past it. It's just that it couldn't protect Grindavik because fissures opened up on the other side of the wall. According to geologists in Iceland, the magma is flowing into the reservoirs (I'm sure I'm not using the right terminology, sorry about that) so those lava fissures have plenty of magma food to keep these flows going for a long time apparently.

The work crews are amazing. Working in the dark and almost surrounding by lava!

--Colin Kaepernick
RVInit

Post by RVInit »

I just found that Shawn Willsey is back online.

--Colin Kaepernick
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

At this time of the year, it's almost always nighttime in Iceland. ;)
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
RVInit

Post by RVInit »

AndyinPA wrote: Sun Jan 14, 2024 3:21 pm At this time of the year, it's almost always nighttime in Iceland. ;)
:lol: There is that. But they did have a bit of sunlight during some of the drone footage, not sure how many hours per day though.
--Colin Kaepernick
much ado

Post by much ado »

RVInit wrote: Sun Jan 14, 2024 4:07 pm
AndyinPA wrote: Sun Jan 14, 2024 3:21 pm At this time of the year, it's almost always nighttime in Iceland. ;)
:lol: There is that. But they did have a bit of sunlight during some of the drone footage, not sure how many hours per day though.
Was just checking it. Today, a little under 5 hours 25 minutes from sunrise to sunset.
RVInit

Post by RVInit »

much ado wrote: Sun Jan 14, 2024 4:27 pm
RVInit wrote: Sun Jan 14, 2024 4:07 pm
Was just checking it. Today, a little under 5 hours 25 minutes from sunrise to sunset.
:thumbsup: :lol: I got curious myself. This page is helpful and you can see year round the length of day. A little less than 5.5 hours is a very short day indeed!

https://www.worlddata.info/europe/icela ... r%20months.
--Colin Kaepernick
Dr. Ken

Post by Dr. Ken »

This makes me really sad. I was there in 2022 in that town. It's a pretty popular area where the blue lagoon is located.
ImageImagePhilly Boondoggle
RVInit

Post by RVInit »

Dr. Ken wrote: Sun Jan 14, 2024 6:57 pm This makes me really sad. I was there in 2022 in that town. It's a pretty popular area where the blue lagoon is located.
Yeah, it's heartbreaking to see that fissure that opened up so close to that little town and then the lava has flowed down to the houses. The latest drones that were able to fly over showed that three homes have been overtaken so far. But that lava is still flowing and now I believe it's pretty much down hill into the center of the town, so I am afraid by the time the sun rises we are going to see more homes lost. The flow does seem to be going through an area where there is a large open space between different sections of homes, but there are still going to be homes in the path.

Here is a short outtake that Shawn Willsey made from this morning's 3 hour feed. This outtake shows the part where the NatureEye drone was flying and they noticed this fissure opening up.

The comments he made about the footage being "beautiful" were followed by him stating how sorry he is to see that fissure so close to the town. But those comments get cut off as this is just a shortened out take from the while thing. I just wanted to mention that because I think it's important to note that in this shortened out take it might seem like he has little care for what is about to happen when he says "beautiful" , but I can assure you as I watched the while thing that this short clip doesn't show the true character of his entire commentary. He expressed real concern for the town and the people and talked about how those people raised families in those homes.

--Colin Kaepernick
RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 »

The second fissure next to the village is producing much lava and destroying a neighbourhood

RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 »

relative quiet now

RVInit

Post by RVInit »

Shawn Willsey was back online today and he piloted one of the NatureEye drones to look at the big fissure and then the smaller one that destroyed three homes in Grindavik. Very little activity is still apparent. Some outgassing, one medium sided fountain in the "big" fissure. The smaller fissure that damaged the homes has just a very small glowing area and very small areas of outgassing.

The berms that were built to divert the lava to flow around the outside of Grindavik did the job pretty well, it's just that a small part of the main fissure was on the Grindavik side of the berm and then the smaller fissure opened up right next to the town. I was watching a different drone this morning and saw that the lava flow on the north side of the berm is almost right up to the top of the berm. But it did it's job. If all that lava had been allowed to just flow it would very likely have been right downhill to the town and way more homes would have been lost and lava covering lots of homes and streets in the town.

Just a side note, I heard the story of the very first home that was lost. The family that owns it had not even moved in yet. They were doing some of the building themselves and it was a labor of love for the past two years. They had hoped to move in on Christmas day. So, they had not even moved in yet. Nobody mentioned if they had gotten around to furnishing it in preparation for moving in, so not sure if they only lost the home or if they lost a home full of furnishings and possibly things like photos and other sentimental items. Either way, how awful that is for this family and the two other families that lost their homes as well. I haven't heard any stories about the other two families and homes.

--Colin Kaepernick
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2024/ ... nd-volcano
A daring operation is being launched to rescue more than 200 sheep left to their fate by farmers after a volcanic eruption near the evacuated Icelandic town of Grindavik.

With molten lava setting homes ablaze and the ground surface cracking, rescue teams are seeking to bring out an estimated 270 animals from their fields and pens.

The animals, who have not been fed or watered for days, had not initially been designated a priority. Animal welfare campaigners raised the alarm after seeing footage of expensive machinery being taken from the danger area rather than the sheep.

One farmer had persuaded rescuers to help him evacuate 30 sheep at the edge of the town on Monday evening but a further estimated 270 are stranded in more dangerous locations.
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 »

Grindavik, Iceland Lava Field: Jan 17 Livestream and Drone Flight with Geologist Shawn Willsey

Shawn Willsey
Streamed live 4 hours ago

Join geology professor Shawn Willsey on a Jan 17 drone flight over the new lava field in Grindavik, Iceland. Afterwards, we cover the latest data, news, and Q&A with viewers.

RVInit

Post by RVInit »

How did a worker and his compactor fall into a "crack"? Silki's video has many photos from inside the town and you can see the various sinkholes, fissures, and cracks. Some photos also show workers inside sinkholes probably evaluating and trying to figure out if and how to repair. Some of the repair work previously accomplished is already damaged. This really doesn't look good. I think some really hard decisions and agonizing are on the plate for the residents, it's really an awful situation. I have often wondered what is in store for people in parts of California that are on a fault line.

--Colin Kaepernick

Return to “Science”