Spring forward.
To delete this message, click the X at top right.

2022 Pennsylvania Senate race

MN-Skeptic

Post by MN-Skeptic »

MN-Skeptic wrote: Sat Oct 22, 2022 10:27 am My niece has the form of synesthesia in which she perceives numbers as having colors. I find it odd that it’s common enough to have its own name. Brains can be strange things!
That niece's sister can remember anything that's happened on any day she was a member of. For example - she's 24 years old - if you ask her what happened on Christmas 2008, when she was 10 years old, she will remember who was gathered together for that day, what they wore, what was served for the meal, what day of the week it was, etc.

[Oops, this is getting to be a thread jack. But it is showing how common brain oddities are but how functional people are with them.]
Kendra

Post by Kendra »

U.S. Senate Announcement: I am polling around 3% which places Democracy at risk. In the interest of protecting the United States I am dropping out of the U.S Senate Race in PA. I fully endorse John Fetterman. The Democrats must win. PA must be Blue. It has been an honor running.
Kriselda Gray
Verified:

Post by Kriselda Gray »

Very cool of him!
neonzx
Verified: 🤩✅✅✅✅✅🤩

Post by neonzx »

p0rtia

Post by p0rtia »

Oy. Fetterman is pretty awful. Worse, the awful seems to be a repeated inability to answer the questions without repeating set pieces.
Dr. Ken

Post by Dr. Ken »

p0rtia wrote: Tue Oct 25, 2022 8:30 pm Oy. Fetterman is pretty awful. Worse, the awful seems to be a repeated inability to answer the questions without repeating set pieces.
Yeah it's clear the stroke affected him. He has to think out his answered but he's on a timer so he's trying to rush through them. Oz is a fast talker who just keeps talking.
ImageImagePhilly Boondoggle
Dr. Ken

Post by Dr. Ken »

Dr. Ken

Post by Dr. Ken »

neonzx
Verified: 🤩✅✅✅✅✅🤩

Post by neonzx »

Yes, that is what women need facing such a decision. The counsel/advice of local political leaders.
Lani

Post by Lani »

Disabled Community Calls Out Ableism In Coverage Of John Fetterman Following Stroke
https://www.huffpost.com/entry/john-fet ... f89f545ec9

Long article. Media focuses on a disability, something we all will experience, rather than on Fetterman's plans and policies.
NBC News has been criticized for its handling of the segment, which experts say focused far too much on Fetterman’s disability and his need for closed captioning, rather than on the content of the interview itself.

The segment began with an introduction by anchor Lester Holt, who told viewers it was “not your typical candidate interview.” Burns then said that “in small talk before the interview, without captioning, it wasn’t clear [Fetterman] was understanding our conversation.”
Requesting reasonable accommodations such as closed captions is legal under the Americans with Disabilities Act. But Burns treated Fetterman’s normal accommodations for an auditory processing issue as a “gotcha,” said Cara Reedy, director of the Disabled Journalists Association.

“I just find it upsetting that a journalist didn’t take time to research auditory processing disorders before interviewing,” Reedy told HuffPost. “That seems like she was unprepared based on her and probably other people in the newsroom’s biases. Who approved that framing? She didn’t make these decisions on her own.”
Blahovec said that when people use perceived medical conditions and disabilities to cast doubt on whether a candidate should serve in office, it detracts from what people should be focusing on: ideas and policies. For example, Fetterman has expressed support for a national law that would effectively reinstate the Roe v. Wade Supreme Court ruling that was overruled in June.
Image You can't wait until life isn't hard anymore before you decide to be happy.
Suranis

Post by Suranis »

"Abelism." Feck sake. Look I'm disabled myself, but pretending that saying disabled people might not be able to do things healthy people do is not being discriminatory, its a goddam fact.

If Fetterman knew he was slow in speaking he should never have agreed to a debate. Oz spent years on TV, he built up the skill to blather constant streams of fast bullshit and look good. There was no way Fetterman could have come away looking good from a debate.

And I hate to be THAT GUY again but its pretty clear what Oz meant. He means that medical treatment needs to have laws regulating it. So ya, Lawmakers DO have a place in the system of medical care. That's not, in any way, an extreme position. But people online are issuing fake screams, waving their arms, and running around in circles as though he suggested people should slice their flesh off to make bacon sandwiches. The perennial Truffle brains of the internet are just howling for clicks, and cant get any nuance.
Hic sunt dracones
W. Kevin Vicklund

Post by W. Kevin Vicklund »

I want to go on the record that, unlike Suranis, I do not believe my local politicians should be able to dictate whether or not people can be treated for a broken arm.
Suranis

Post by Suranis »

Enjoy your Unregulated Broken Arm treatment equipment. :roll:
Hic sunt dracones
Dr. Ken

Post by Dr. Ken »

Suranis wrote: Wed Oct 26, 2022 10:19 am Enjoy your Unregulated Broken Arm treatment equipment. :roll:
Except he wasn't talking about general medical treatment. He specifically mentioned what his abortion position was.
Kriselda Gray
Verified:

Post by Kriselda Gray »

W. Kevin Vicklund wrote: Wed Oct 26, 2022 10:09 am I want to go on the record that, unlike Suranis, I do not believe my local politicians should be able to dictate whether or not people can be treated for a broken arm.
Agreed. As far as I'm concerned, the only role the government has in health care is to ensure at a bare minimum that it's available to all without fear of discrimintion and that it is safe. They have no place in deciding what kinds of procedures are permitted unless a procedure is inherently unsafe for the actual patient (which, in the case of a pregnant woman, is the *woman*.)

As far as "ableism" is concerned, there's a big difference between acknowledging that disabled people might not be able to do everything an able-bodied person can, and people being prevented from doing things they CAN do (including things they may need *reasonable* accommodation to do) solely because they're disabled. Unfortunately that still happens far too often and needs to be called out when it does.
raison de arizona
Verified: ✔️ he/him/his

Post by raison de arizona »

Suranis wrote: Wed Oct 26, 2022 10:19 am Enjoy your Unregulated Broken Arm treatment equipment. :roll:
That isn't exactly the issue. The issue would be, say my religion doesn't believe in treating broken arms, that they should heal naturally as God intended. Should I as an elected politician be able to pass a law that no one else can have broken arms treated either?
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
Slim Cognito
Verified:

Post by Slim Cognito »

It's been said above, but the only health care decision local politicians should be making for their constituents is that they have affordable access to it. Full. Stop.
Pup Dennis in training to be a guide dog & given to a deserving vet. Thx! ImageImageImage x4
keith
Occupation: Retired Computer Systems Analyst Project Manager Super Coder
Verified: ✅lunatic

Post by keith »

W. Kevin Vicklund wrote: Wed Oct 26, 2022 10:09 am I want to go on the record that, unlike Suranis, I do not believe my local politicians should be able to dictate whether or not people can be treated for a broken arm.
:yeahthat:

And I would like to go on the record that, unlike Suranis, i do not believe that "less able" is "less healthy".
Has everybody heard about the bird?
SuzieC
Verified:

Post by SuzieC »

Suranis wrote: Wed Oct 26, 2022 9:12 am But people online The perennial Truffle brains of the internet are just howling for clicks, and cant get any nuance.
By people online, and perennial Truffle brains of the Internet, of course you mean women, who cannot understand the nuance of a constitutional right ripped away from them after 50 years. All they care about is clicks, as opposed to forcible unwanted birth.
sugar magnolia

Post by sugar magnolia »

SuzieC wrote: Wed Oct 26, 2022 6:37 pm
Suranis wrote: Wed Oct 26, 2022 9:12 am But people online The perennial Truffle brains of the internet are just howling for clicks, and cant get any nuance.
By people online, and perennial Truffle brains of the Internet, of course you mean women, who cannot understand the nuance of a constitutional right ripped away from them after 50 years. All they care about is clicks, as opposed to forcible unwanted birth.
And life-threatening danger to those forced into that unwanted birth at the risk of the mother. The only nuance involved is "are you the mother?" and if the answer is no, then go away.
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

https://www.washingtonpost.com/election ... -research/
In May 2003, Mehmet Oz was the senior author on a study that explored a hot topic at the time: Whether heart bypass surgery conducted with the aid of a heart-lung machine impaired a patient’s cognitive function more than surgery conducted without the machine.
Congressional districts have changed. Find yours for the 2022 midterm elections.

Oz’s research was scheduled to lead off the scientific session of the 83rd annual American Association for Thoracic Surgery (AATS) conference, according to a program from the event, where physicians in that specialty convene to discuss developments in their field. But Oz was forced to withdraw his work and was banned from presenting research to the organization for the next two years, according to seven people familiar with the events, whose account of his ban was confirmed by the Oz campaign. Oz is now the Republican nominee for U.S. Senate in Pennsylvania.

He was also prohibited from publishing his work in the society’s medical journal for the same period of time, according to the people familiar with the events, four of whom recalled details of the controversy on the record. Three others spoke on the condition of anonymity to more openly discuss a sensitive subject that reflects on Oz’s reputation. Some of Oz’s 15 co-authors on the abstract did not respond to requests for comment. The Oz campaign did not respond to questions about the journal.
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
RTH10260
Verified: ✔️ Eurobot

Post by RTH10260 »

tsk tsk tsk ... where there is smoke...

an Oz'ian dumpster fire
MN-Skeptic

Post by MN-Skeptic »

Dr. Oz's Research Supervisor Declined His Request to Deny That His Studies Killed Puppies
In early October, Jezebel reported that medical research led by Pennsylvania Republican Senate nominee Dr. Mehmet Oz resulted in the deaths of 31 pigs, 661 rabbits and rodents, and 329 dogs, including an entire litter of puppies—as well as horrific torture before their deaths. Oz’s team at Columbia University published 75 studies between 1989 and 2010 that relied on data from experiments on 1,027 live animal subjects. Oz was the principal investigator on those studies, meaning he was in charge of them.

According to new reporting from the Washington Post, Oz called his former supervisor—Columbia’s chief of cardiac surgery, Eric Rose—about three weeks ago and asked him to publicly state that Oz wasn’t responsible for the alleged mistreatment of animals. Rose declined to do so, telling the Post it felt like the candidate was asking for a political favor.

Rose disclosed to the Post that his relationship with Oz “soured” about three years ago and that he opposes Oz’s political views and has contributed $165 to the campaign of the Democratic nominee, Lt. Gov. John Fetterman.

Oz campaign spokesperson Brittany Yanick confirmed that Oz made the call. “Oz reached out to Dr. Rose along with several other doctors to ask for their assistance in setting the record straight.” She added, “Doctors from his time at Columbia offered words of support, and some put their support in writing.”

This detail was buried in a damning Post report that Oz had to withdraw a study that he was set to present at a 2003 academic conference and was banned from presenting any other research to that organization for two years. The group, American Association for Thoracic Surgery (AATS), also banned him from publishing research in its medical journal during that time period.
That's the entire article although there are embedded links which I did not include. Go to the article above if you want to see those links.
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/202 ... -candidate
Mehmet Oz, the Republican candidate for US Senate in Pennsylvania, risked mockery on Monday by giving the impression he believes the state, which is landlocked, has an Atlantic coastline.

“Pennsylvania is way is too important,” the celebrity doctor told the Fox News host Sean Hannity.

“And listen, this is important, we do not have a Republican senator north of North Carolina on the Atlantic coast, until you get to Maine, if I don’t hold this seat. There’s been a Republican senator in Pennsylvania most of my life, I’m gonna keep one here as well.”

:snippity: .

Philadelphia, the biggest city in Pennsylvania, is home to a huge and thriving port. But its shipping hub sits on the Delaware River, which empties into the Atlantic miles downstream between Delaware and New Jersey.

Oz’s Democratic opponent, John Fetterman, has already made hay on the campaign trail by pointing out that Oz has stronger ties to neighboring New Jersey than to Pennsylvania.
As the article states, Pennsylvania does not have any Atlantic coastline. The Delaware River is a tidal river, but that's not the same as being on the coast. Oz should have at least done a little homework before he ran.
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
tek

Post by tek »

There's a state that's between Pennsylvania and the Atlantic coast. I can't remember that state's name right now, but it will come to me..

:batting:

Return to “U.S. Senate”