Spring forward.
To delete this message, click the X at top right.

2022 Pennsylvania Senate race

raison de arizona
Verified: ✔️ he/him/his

Re: 2022 Pennsylvania Senate race

Post by raison de arizona »

sugar magnolia wrote: Mon Aug 15, 2022 5:12 pm
Looks like a 12 year old who signed up for the free Canva trial made that ad.
No kidding, Oz is really, really bad at this.

He should pack up and go home.

To New Jersey.
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
Slim Cognito
Verified:

Post by Slim Cognito »

Did Rick "Medicare Fraud" Scott pocket the dough?
Pup Dennis in training to be a guide dog & given to a deserving vet. Thx! ImageImageImage x4
Luke
Location: @orly_licious With Pete Buttigieg and the other "open and defiant homosexuals" --Bryan Fischer AFA

Post by Luke »

Matt Walsh and Kyle Becker are two of the lowest, nastiest guys out there.

Kyle sure has respect for those MAGAts.
Kyle Becker @kylenabecker 3h
Replying to @MattWalshBlog
this is how Dr. Oz thinks he can connect with lower class MAGA deplorables: circus style graphics worthy of a Monty Python sketch

Lt Root Beer of the Mighty 699th. Fogbow 💙s titular Mama June in Fogbow's Favourite Show™ Mama June: From Not To Hot! Fogbow's Theme Song™ Edith Massey's "I Got The Evidence!" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C5jDHZd0JAg
much ado

Post by much ado »

Volkonski wrote: Mon Aug 15, 2022 5:27 pm
Perhaps it's because you fuckers have finally grifted your RWNJs to their limit. They are not a limitless source of money.

So sad.
pipistrelle

Post by pipistrelle »

But this is a fantastic ad.

He gets the name of the store wrong (it's either Redner's or Wegman's-I can't tell which) but he says "Wegner's"?

Crudités? The family calls them "veggies and dip." The dip is usually creamy, like ranch, not guacamole or salsa.

Many viewers suggested it's easy and cheaper to make your own guacamole and salsa.

Tequila???

Also, why is a millionaire complaining about food prices? For crudités?

If he were a Pennsylvanian, he'd complain about the prices for staples.

How are vegetable prices tied to Joe Biden?

This ad did not go over well.

Speculation he's trying to lose as a tax write-off?
RTH10260
Verified: ✔️ Eurobot

Post by RTH10260 »

Paying a premium for picking from the "Farm Fresh" section?

Maybe check where Mom and Pop need to shop to feed their kids?
sugar magnolia

Post by sugar magnolia »

He's shopping at the wrong place. I just checked our Kroger prices and the same stuff is about $14. And who puts raw asparagus on a veggie tray?
sugar magnolia

Post by sugar magnolia »

RTH10260 wrote: Tue Aug 16, 2022 6:42 am Paying a premium for picking from the "Farm Fresh" section?

Maybe check where Mom and Pop need to shop to feed their kids?
Actually, the loose veggie prices are usually lower than the pre-packaged raw veggies. You can get the convenience packaged already chopped stuff for a premium price.
Luke
Location: @orly_licious With Pete Buttigieg and the other "open and defiant homosexuals" --Bryan Fischer AFA

Post by Luke »

That's so funny y'all are talking about this... Phil Bump (who is doing some great great writing at WaPo) just did a story on this. Oz should be THRILLED... Salsa prices are down! :lol:
Good news for crudité lovers in Pennsylvania: Salsa prices have dropped
Analysis by Philip Bump National correspondent August 15, 2022 at 5:11 p.m. EDT

Look, running for office is not easy. It can seem easy, particularly to celebrity outsiders: It's just a popularity contest, right? But as so many have learned before, there’s an element to it that transcends mere popularity. The margin of error granted famous people is erased, and little oddities can become big embarrassments. Which brings us to this video, first posted by the campaign of Republican Senate candidate Mehmet Oz in April but that went viral for largely inexplicable reasons Monday. In the video, Oz is shown shopping at a grocery store. He says the store is “Wegner’s,” which doesn’t exist. He seems to be thinking of Wegman’s, a chain that originated in Upstate New York and has moved down the Eastern Seaboard into Pennsylvania and, well, New Jersey. But he is actually in a store called “Redner’s,” which is only found in the state Oz hopes to represent in the U.S. Senate. It doesn’t get much less awkward. In a weird echo of Barack Obama’s infamous line from Iowa in 2007 — “Anybody gone into Whole Foods lately and see what they charge for arugula?” — Oz declared that he was at the Whatever-It’s-Called store because his wife wanted to serve crudité. (That’s what wealthy people call veggies-and-dip.)

So he walks over and starts grabbing vegetable-ish things: broccoli at $1.99, carrots at $3.99, asparagus (is that a component of crudité?) at $3.99, guacamole (??) for $3.99 and salsa (???) at $5.99. He marvels at the accumulated costs. “That’s $20 for crudité!” He calls it “outrageous” — and says that Pennsylvanians have “Joe Biden to thank for this.” As the person who reposted the video was prompted to ask, the whole thing seems like an obvious political misfire. He wants to demonstrate how prices have increased, obviously, but he picks a bizarre subset of grocery items to evaluate. How many voters have been frustrated because premade guacamole may cost more? Or because the bunch of asparagus they used to buy is now pricier? Why not evaluate, like, milk? What’s particularly interesting about this, though, is how those prices have — and haven’t — changed. As it turns out, in the four months since Oz appears to have filmed that video, costs for this odd crudité-Mexican-snacks shopping-list have actually gone down.

PRODUCT
APRIL
NOW
Broccoli
$1.99
$1.99
Asparagus
$3.99
$3.99
Carrots
$3.99
$3.99
Guacamole
$3.99
$3.99
Salsa
$5.99
$4.99
Total
$19.95
$18.95
(You can see the prices at Redner’s website: broccoli, asparagus, carrots, guacamole and salsa. I chose to price the products at the Bensalem store because it is closest to the New Jersey border. Ahem.) The decrease is only a dollar, but still. “There must be a salsa shortage!” Oz quipped at the product’s price. Well, apparently that shortage is over.

Of course, we probably wouldn’t expect to see big price drops (or gains) over just four months. The good news is that since the internet stores copies of pretty much everything, I was able to find Redner’s circulars from two years before that included prices for broccoli, asparagus and guacamole. In April 2020, the guacamole that Oz selected was on sale, two for $5. So that price has increased by $1.50 — but of course, we’re comparing a buy-one-get-one-free sale price with the regular price. In another circular from the same month, we see broccoli was 70 cents cheaper — and asparagus exactly the same. You’ll note that those vegetables are identified as organic. It’s possible then that we are comparing pesticide-riddled apples with organic-fresh oranges. But Redner’s website doesn’t identify any separate organic versions of the products.

There is no question that prices have risen, certainly. In fact, we can look at the Bureau of Labor Statistics’ Producer Price Index to track how commodity prices have changed. Since January 2021, for example, the index for broccoli has increased by 19 percent — but then, it rose 63 percent during Trump’s administration. The index for carrots has risen about 7 percent, compared to 15 percent under Trump. Asparagus has actually risen more quickly under Biden, measured in April or May of 2017, 2021 and 2022. It’s just that the example Oz uses here is pretty obviously not the best one. Of the five items he selected to include, broccoli actually gets the most search interest in Pennsylvania. But Pennsylvanians are about twice as interested in apples (the fruit, not the computers) and three times as interested in milk. As a guy with family in the Pittsburgh area, I could have offered better suggestions: How have prices for black and yellow scarves changed? Blue and white face paint? Tattoos in green and silver? How about giant, furry, bug-eyed orange heads? Gotta talk to people about the things they care about. Celebrity worries about asparagus simply aren’t going to cut it.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics ... p_politics

Great going, Dr. Oz! That secret Democratic plan with Oprah is working like magic! ;) :smoking: :P
Lt Root Beer of the Mighty 699th. Fogbow 💙s titular Mama June in Fogbow's Favourite Show™ Mama June: From Not To Hot! Fogbow's Theme Song™ Edith Massey's "I Got The Evidence!" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C5jDHZd0JAg
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

I saw that last night. It was hilarious!
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

Local asparagus season was over weeks ago.

Does Oz eat that imported Mexican asparagus?
“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
W. Kevin Vicklund

Post by W. Kevin Vicklund »

Oh, this spot was filmed in April, it just took a while to go viral.
Dr. Ken

Post by Dr. Ken »

Someone made a parody account on twitter
ImageImagePhilly Boondoggle
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

I bet half or more of people watching have no idea what a crudités is.
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
Kendra

Post by Kendra »

AndyinPA wrote: Tue Aug 16, 2022 1:45 pm I bet half or more of people watching have no idea what a crudité is.
I don't believe I've ever heard it, or seen it in a book (and I've read a lot of books).
humblescribe
Verified:

Post by humblescribe »

All right.

Let's assume this was filmed in April.

Broccoli is more than likely from the Central Coast or Ventura and Monterey Counties, California.

The bag of carrots is Grimmway Farms. Headquartered in Bakersfield, California. Most of their carrot land is in California. They do grow carrots in the Florida Panhandle and in Colorado. (Grimmway Farms is the global leader in carrots.) But April is probably too early for harvest for both Colorado and Florida.

The asparagus is more than likely to have come from the San Joaquin/Sacramento River delta. They grow a ton of asparagus there, and April is chock in the middle of harvest season.

The avocado is probably from cold storage--either grown in Mexico or California. Too early for 2022 crop.

The salsa is not the large-scale commercial salsas like Pace. I'm not sure of the manufacturer, but those smaller containers are always more expensive.

Anyway, fuel prices rose considerably back then. And he appears to be in an upscale grocery store, not a Piggly Wiggly or Wal-Mart. (no disrespect.)

Pennsylvania is not a hot bed of seasonal vegetable crops, grown in commercial quantities and sold locally--especially in April when some parts are still experiencing frosts.

This guy is a tool. He should stick with peddling his nostrums and potions.
"Some cause happiness wherever they go; others whenever they go." O. Wilde
Luke

Post by Luke »

:lol: The Reply just posted:

W. Kevin Vicklund

Frankly, the only thing that seemed high priced (given the quantities) was possibly the salsa. Granted, I'm allergic to everything featured, so I don't have a strong sense of what those items typically cost, but fresh veggies are expensive.
raison de arizona
Verified: ✔️ he/him/his

Post by raison de arizona »

“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
Chilidog

Post by Chilidog »

Hilarious

Slim Cognito
Verified:

Post by Slim Cognito »

People are so clever.
Pup Dennis in training to be a guide dog & given to a deserving vet. Thx! ImageImageImage x4
New Turtle

Post by New Turtle »

W. Kevin Vicklund wrote: Tue Aug 16, 2022 3:26 pm Frankly, the only thing that seemed high priced (given the quantities) was possibly the salsa. Granted, I'm allergic to everything featured, so I don't have a strong sense of what those items typically cost, but fresh veggies are expensive.
The cheaper mass-produced salsa is in the aisle with the chips. If it's in the produce section in the cooler, probably uses little or no preservatives (AKA salt), and that shelf space costs more.
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

New Turtle wrote: Tue Aug 16, 2022 7:49 pm
W. Kevin Vicklund wrote: Tue Aug 16, 2022 3:26 pm Frankly, the only thing that seemed high priced (given the quantities) was possibly the salsa. Granted, I'm allergic to everything featured, so I don't have a strong sense of what those items typically cost, but fresh veggies are expensive.
The cheaper mass-produced salsa is in the aisle with the chips. If it's in the produce section in the cooler, probably uses little or no preservatives (AKA salt), and that shelf space costs more.
Yep! You better be ready to eat it all up pretty quickly.
W. Kevin Vicklund

On relistening, I realized that he said six dollars for the salsa, not seven, so not far off from what I would have guessed. I can have the preprocessed salsa on occasion, because processing, but the fresh stuff is no bueno :vomit:

Return to “U.S. Senate”