Spring forward.
To delete this message, click the X at top right.

2022 Pennsylvania Senate race

AndyinPA
Verified:

Re: U.S. Senate - Pennsylvania

Post by AndyinPA »

I wonder if AG Josh Shapiro can go after Oz for this. :?:
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
sugar magnolia

Post by sugar magnolia »

AndyinPA wrote: Thu May 05, 2022 3:11 pm I wonder if AG Josh Shapiro can go after Oz for this. :?:
Is what he did illegal? My daughter in Brazil votes in all the state and federal elections in the US.
Phoenix520
Verified:

Post by Phoenix520 »

Yabbut your daughter isn’t running for office in Brazil.
Atticus Finch

Post by Atticus Finch »

Well there goes the Armenian American votes.
You don't need religion to have morals. If you can't determine right from wrong then you lack empathy, not religion.
p0rtia

Post by p0rtia »

sugar magnolia wrote: Thu May 05, 2022 3:18 pm
AndyinPA wrote: Thu May 05, 2022 3:11 pm I wonder if AG Josh Shapiro can go after Oz for this. :?:
Is what he did illegal? My daughter in Brazil votes in all the state and federal elections in the US.
No, not illegal. Two issues: 1) A major turn off for voters. Can only speak for the northeast, but not voting / voting in another country has traditionally been a deal breaker for candidates. 2) National security. Twitter says he will not pass a security vetting as someone who is not only a citizen of another country, but someone who votes in another country.
sugar magnolia

Post by sugar magnolia »

p0rtia wrote: Thu May 05, 2022 4:31 pm
sugar magnolia wrote: Thu May 05, 2022 3:18 pm
No, not illegal. Two issues: 1) A major turn off for voters. Can only speak for the northeast, but not voting / voting in another country has traditionally been a deal breaker for candidates. 2) National security. Twitter says he will not pass a security vetting as someone who is not only a citizen of another country, but someone who votes in another country.
I understand the optics but was curious what the AG had to do with it.
bob

Post by bob »

p0rtia wrote: Thu May 05, 2022 4:31 pmTwitter says he will not pass a security vetting as someone who is not only a citizen of another country, but someone who votes in another country.
Members of Congress do not require, nor do they receive, a security clearance.
Image ImageImage
p0rtia

Post by p0rtia »

bob wrote: Thu May 05, 2022 6:47 pm
p0rtia wrote: Thu May 05, 2022 4:31 pmTwitter says he will not pass a security vetting as someone who is not only a citizen of another country, but someone who votes in another country.
Members of Congress do not require, nor do they receive, a security clearance.
I think the implication was that he would not be able to receive security briefings from Intel Agencies. I'll see if I can find the reference!
raison de arizona
Verified: ✔️ he/him/his

Post by raison de arizona »

From the ABC article posted on the previous page:
Elected officials are not subjected to the same level of scrutiny as civilians who seek security clearances for sensitive government work; once sworn-in, lawmakers are granted access to classified information, unless the executive branch denies them certain information.

But the background check process for civilians can also "provide a framework for analyzing whether someone is trustworthy or not," according to Kel McClanahan, the executive director of National Security Counselors, a nonprofit public interest law firm. And for McClanahan, voting in another country's election would set off a "giant, flashing red light."
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
raison de arizona

It sounds like Dr. Oz is not going to get a good reception at the upcoming Klan Trump rally.
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
p0rtia

Post by p0rtia »

This was the tweet I saw. I got nothing else.

AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

At the very least, wouldn't it limit the committees he could serve on?
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
raison de arizona

AndyinPA wrote: Thu May 05, 2022 7:28 pm At the very least, wouldn't it limit the committees he could serve on?
The way I understand it, he would automatically gain access to classified material as a CongressCritter once sworn in unless the Executive branch blocked it. But I dunno.
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

For the rally tomorrow, the weather is supposed to be atrocious. I've been there a number of times. It's on top of a hill, very exposed to lightning, with little inside, covered space. There are barn buildings, but none of them are huge, and they are scattered around.
bob

Post by bob »

AndyinPA wrote: Thu May 05, 2022 7:28 pm At the very least, wouldn't it limit the committees he could serve on?
Not necessarily; committee assignments are per party leadership, and leadership may want him on a particular committee, notwithstanding (or because of) the publicity it'll create.

The executive branch can always withhold information. It could even create a neutral-sounding rule (e.g., "access to this information is limited to those with security clearances") that is, in actuality, meant to block only one person's access.

But, again, voting in a foreign election does not automatically prevent anything for federal elected officials; at best, it may create pause with those who hold sensitive information.
Image ImageImage
Kendra

Post by Kendra »

I’m reading a lot on right-wing social media that Mehmet Oz is going to be booed at the Trump rally tomorrow, and the crowd intends to show Trump how unhappy they are with the endorsement by booing when he mentions Oz’s name.
Dave from down under

Post by Dave from down under »

:dance: now that would be fun...

I hope they do.. and I hope there will be video of Donnie's face as it happens.
Frater I*I
Verified: ✅Verified Devilish Hyena

Post by Frater I*I »

AndyinPA wrote: Thu May 05, 2022 7:43 pm For the rally tomorrow, the weather is supposed to be atrocious. I've been there a number of times. It's on top of a hill, very exposed to lightning, with little inside, covered space. There are barn buildings, but none of them are huge, and they are scattered around.
ZEUS!!!! I beg of you!!! RID ME OF THESE TRAITORS!!!!
"He sewed his eyes shut because he is afraid to see, He tries to tell me what I put inside of me
He's got the answers to ease my curiosity, He dreamed a god up and called it Christianity"

Trent Reznor
Kendra

Post by Kendra »

On the day of Trump’s rally in PA to support Mehmet Oz, Mike Pompeo is holding a presser to say that Oz poses a threat to national security.
tek

Post by tek »

Well, Pompeo certainly knows about being a national security risk...
raison de arizona

tfg can't rally in the rain, the muskrat on his head will get muffed.
Zachary Petrizzo @ZTPetrizzo wrote: Rain is currently coming down at the Trump rally in Greensburg, Pennsylvania, with the forecast predicting the storm will not be stopping anytime soon.
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

It's supposed to rain through tomorrow. It's been rainy and gloomy all day here. It will be a muddy mess there tonight.
raison de arizona

AndyinPA wrote: Fri May 06, 2022 5:09 pm It's supposed to rain through tomorrow. It's been rainy and gloomy all day here. It will be a muddy mess there tonight.
Looks delightful already.

The RWNJ accounts are all posting unflattering (to other RWNJs) videos of Oz (support for Roe, support for masking, etc.) in advance of his appearance. If it happens. Anyway, I doubt it will be pretty between the tfg True Believers of everything he says and those that differ on OZ. Should be a rollicking fun good time!
raison de arizona

Word is that the crowd is pretty sparse and rather wet.
pipistrelle

Post by pipistrelle »

raison de arizona wrote: Fri May 06, 2022 6:47 pm Word is that the crowd is pretty sparse and rather wet.
Population of the county is close to 355,000. It has been losing population since the 1990s. These folks think tfg loves and understands them. I suspect he’s not welcome in many places but knows he’s welcome here. It will be the usual self-pity fest. Maybe they relate.

Return to “U.S. Senate”