First Person Cured of Type 1 Diabetes

Lani

First Person Cured of Type 1 Diabetes

Post by Lani »

This is in the email NYT briefing this morning. (I don't have access to the full article, so no linkee.)
Brian Shelton may be the first person cured of Type 1 diabetes. Diabetes experts were astonished but urged caution.

Shelton was the first patient to receive an infusion of lab-grown cells that produce insulin. Now his body automatically controls its insulin and blood sugar levels. The study is continuing, but the results so far have given experts hope for the 1.5 million Americans living with the disease.

“It’s a whole new life,” Shelton said. “It’s like a miracle.”
ETA: I found the full article, and it's amazing. https://www.yahoo.com/news/cure-type-1- ... 17186.html
Image You can't wait until life isn't hard anymore before you decide to be happy.
Azastan
Verified:

Re: First Person Cured of Type 1 Diabetes

Post by Azastan »

Too bad for the anti-vaxxers that the cure's been made with embryonic stem cells.
Slim Cognito
Verified:

Post by Slim Cognito »

If this pans out, it's huge! :clap:
My Crested Yorkie, Gilda and her amazing hair.

ImageImageImage x4
MN-Skeptic

Post by MN-Skeptic »

Having a sister with Type I diabetes, I'm thrilled with results like this. At age 66, she'll probably die before it becomes available. But, hopefully it will help thousands of others.

A couple of paragraphs, too, from that article:
Like patients who get pancreas transplants, Mr. Shelton has to take drugs that suppress his immune system. He says they cause him no side effects, and he finds them far less onerous or risky than constantly monitoring his blood sugar and taking insulin. He will have to continue taking them to prevent his body from rejecting the infused cells.

But Dr. John Buse, a diabetes expert at the University of North Carolina who has no connection to Vertex, said the immunosuppression gives him pause. “We need to carefully evaluate the trade-off between the burdens of diabetes and the potential complications from immunosuppressive medications.”
Lani

Post by Lani »

Azastan wrote: Sun Nov 28, 2021 8:42 am Too bad for the anti-vaxxers that the cure's been made with embryonic stem cells.
They seem to be fine with tylenol, ibuprofen and monoclonal treatment.
Image You can't wait until life isn't hard anymore before you decide to be happy.
Azastan
Verified:

Post by Azastan »

Lani wrote: Sun Nov 28, 2021 12:01 pm
Azastan wrote: Sun Nov 28, 2021 8:42 am Too bad for the anti-vaxxers that the cure's been made with embryonic stem cells.
They seem to be fine with tylenol, ibuprofen and monoclonal treatment.
They do a lot of tap dancing around those.

Much harder to dance around this, although I am sure that they will if they could afford the treatment.

Return to “Science”