Spring forward.
To delete this message, click the X at top right.

Media Moves

Tiredretiredlawyer
Verified: ✅🐴🐎🦄🌻5000 posts and counting

Re: Media Moves

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer »

So glad to hear CNN is getting back to its roots! :biggrin:
"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

Lani wrote: Sat Mar 05, 2022 1:38 am MSNBC was my go-to station, but I've been drifting away for awhile. I was going back and forth between MSNBC to CNN, but now my preferred channel is CNN.
When I was watching a little more, I had changed to CNN completely during the day.
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
Kendra

Post by Kendra »

I'm 99% CNN now. I'll turn on Nicole Wallace on weekdays, and I do like Alex Witt on weekends, but that's it. CNN IMHO is rocking on the Ukraine news.
p0rtia

Post by p0rtia »

Kendra wrote: Sat Mar 05, 2022 11:25 am I'm 99% CNN now. I'll turn on Nicole Wallace on weekdays, and I do like Alex Witt on weekends, but that's it. CNN IMHO is rocking on the Ukraine news.
Same (with the accent on Nicole Wallace).

I turned on Jonathan Capehart for ten seconds this morning, only to be told that the green corridor agreement to get civilians out of Mariopul (sp) had fallen through (again), with each side blaming the other for the failure.

Fucking assholes. If I ever needed proof that the fucking media's base state to hide their ignorance and greed is "both sides do it"... well I don't need it any more.

Seriously. Now and forever, when you equate the veracity of the abused with the abuser, you are normalizing, amplifying, giving power to the abuser.
Tiredretiredlawyer

p0rtia wrote: Sun Mar 06, 2022 2:36 pm
Seriously. Now and forever, when you equate the veracity of the abused with the abuser, you are normalizing, amplifying, giving power to the abuser.
YES!!!!!!!!
"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.
Luke
Location: @orly_licious With Pete Buttigieg and the other "open and defiant homosexuals" --Bryan Fischer AFA

Post by Luke »

More on my previous post about CNN:
CNN’S FUTURE, PT. 1: OUT OF THE FOXHOLE
New CNN honcho Chris Licht doesn’t actually start until May, but ever the savvy “operator” he has already begun backchanneling with key figures, including agents and reporters, and, according to two insiders familiar with the matter, making it known to Fox News that he is working towards a cease-fire on his network’s aggressive coverage of them. On Sunday, there were notably no mentions of Fox News on CNN’s marquee media show, Reliable Sources, hosted by Brian Stelter, who last year penned a New York Times Best Seller titled Hoax: Donald Trump, Fox News and the Dangerous Distortion of Truth. In recent years, CNN has become known for its forceful coverage of Fox News and its partisan talking heads who’ve played enormous roles in influencing former President Donald Trump and the right-wing media ecosystem that supports him. In turn, Fox News has returned the favor, often attacking CNN stars—sometimes with potshots about their physical appearances.

CNN’S FUTURE, PT. 2: RETURN TO ‘HARD NEWS’
Last week, The Washington Post reported that Licht intends to push CNN away from a Trump-era “resistance” tone and back to a style often described as “hard news.” But Licht may have his work cut out for him when he officially takes over on the Monday after the White House Correspondents’ Dinner, seeing as some of the network’s loudest voices have leaned heavily into the heated rhetoric that dominated the past few years. According to two people familiar with the situation, the former Late Show boss (who has been described to Source Material as an intense “social climber” by several people who’ve watched his star rise over the years) will work to tone down the often opinionated and emotional reporting from stars like Jim Acosta, Brianna Keilar, and especially Don Lemon, who currently hosts the network’s ratings-deficient 10 p.m. to midnight programming. The Russian invasion of Ukraine has demonstrated CNN’s prowess—rivaled only by that of the BBC—for hard-news-gathering during major news events. Under Licht, expect to see more boots-on-the-ground reporting and fewer partisan panels with talking heads like former Trump staffer Alyssa Farah.

CNN’S FUTURE, PT. 3: WALLACE IN PRIMETIME?
In addition to fixing their morning show, where ratings have plummeted, and deciding what to do with a bloated CNN+, due to launch later this month, Licht faces a tough challenge in filling the primetime hour once occupied by Cuomo. Former Fox News anchor Chris Wallace is one name being floated internally to take the key 9 p.m. slot. (Javier De Diego, currently the supervising producer on The Lead with Jake Tapper, will become exec producer of Wallace’s CNN+ show, it was announced on Monday). But Licht may look externally to make a splashy new hire. One name that continues to pop up is Brian Williams, who revived his career at MSNBC before exiting last year and is looking for one final act, according to two people familiar with his thinking. It would be quite the comeback for Williams who has always had his sights set on a nighttime talk show—and who better to orchestrate such a move than Licht, who reworked Stephen Colbert’s show and took it to first place in the late-night ratings.
https://www.thedailybeast.com/cnns-new- ... h-fox-news
Lt Root Beer of the Mighty 699th. Fogbow 💙s titular Mama June in Fogbow's Favourite Show™ Mama June: From Not To Hot! Fogbow's Theme Song™ Edith Massey's "I Got The Evidence!" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C5jDHZd0JAg
Tiredretiredlawyer

https://collider.com/the-residence-seri ... s-netflix/
'The Residence': Netflix Announces Murder-Mystery Series from 'Scandal' Creator Shonda Rhimes

This marks Rhimes' first return to political drama since 'Scandal' ended in 2018.

Fans of writer and producer Shonda Rhimes will have another series to add to their watch list! Netflix has announced that the streaming service has ordered the series The Residence, which Rhimes is set to executive produce.

The series is described as being a murder-mystery set in the White House. It will be based on the 2015 book The Residence: Inside the Private World of the White House by Kate Andersen Brower, and the season will consist of eight episodes. According to Variety, the series will also feature an eccentric detective, though there's no word yet on casting for the role.

Rhimes will executive produce the series through her Shondaland production company. She is well-known for creating ABC's medical drama Grey's Anatomy. The long-running series was recently renewed for a nineteenth season in January. Rhimes' other recent work includes Inventing Anna and Bridgerton for Netflix. Paul William Davies will be the showrunner for The Residence. Davies and Rhimes have collaborated several times in the past, with her producing his series For the People, which ran from 2018-2019 on ABC. Davies was also a writer for Rhimes' previous hit political drama Scandal, which ran from 2012-2018 on ABC. Similar to The Residence, Scandal was set in Washington D.C. and followed people who worked in the White House. In addition to being the showrunner, Davies will also be an executive producer. Betsy Beers is also set to be an executive producer for the series.
Kendra

Post by Kendra »

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics ... hp&pc=U531
Former anchor Chris Cuomo has filed an arbitration claim seeking $125 million from CNN, according to a new report.

Attorneys for Cuomo wrote that he had "been damaged in countless ways" due to the network "unceremoniously" firing him late last year.

"Cuomo has had his journalistic integrity unjustifiably smeared, making it difficult if not impossible for Cuomo to find similar work in the future and damaging him in amounts exceeding $125 million, which includes not only the remaining salary owed under the Agreement, but future wages lost as a result of CNN's efforts to destroy his reputation in violation of the Agreement," the filing reads, according to Deadline.com. "Cuomo now seeks to recover the full measure of his damages against Turner and CNN."
raison de arizona
Verified: ✔️ he/him/his

Post by raison de arizona »

Kendra wrote: Wed Mar 16, 2022 2:34 pm https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics ... hp&pc=U531
Former anchor Chris Cuomo has filed an arbitration claim seeking $125 million from CNN, according to a new report.

Attorneys for Cuomo wrote that he had "been damaged in countless ways" due to the network "unceremoniously" firing him late last year.

"Cuomo has had his journalistic integrity unjustifiably smeared, making it difficult if not impossible for Cuomo to find similar work in the future and damaging him in amounts exceeding $125 million, which includes not only the remaining salary owed under the Agreement, but future wages lost as a result of CNN's efforts to destroy his reputation in violation of the Agreement," the filing reads, according to Deadline.com. "Cuomo now seeks to recover the full measure of his damages against Turner and CNN."
IMO opinion it is one thing for him to have offered advice to Andrew Cuomo's staff, but it is entirely another thing for him to have used his position to get inside information regarding his brother's accusers to pass on. Allegedly. :faint:
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
RTH10260
Verified: ✔️ Eurobot

Post by RTH10260 »

Lost future wages, is that something when one gets dumped for reasons?
Kendra

Post by Kendra »

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics ... d=msedgntp

:snippity:
"As long as CNN's ratings would not be hurt, Zucker and Gollust were more than willing to overlook major transgressions by CNN personalities such as Don Lemon and Jake Tapper, or even to engage in blatant misconduct themselves," the filing said.

Cuomo specifically called out Lemon, with whom he used to share a close relationship.

The brief cites one specific incident in November 2021, where Lemon apparently warned "Empire" actor Jussie Smollett that Chicago police didn't believe his false accusations of a hate crime.

"Intervening in the ongoing investigation by texting Smollett was an inexcusable breach of ethics," the filing argued. "Yet CNN did nothing. Lemon was not disciplined in any way."

The filing also cited a 2020 Fox News article that claimed Tapper had "repeatedly urged Congressional candidate Sean Parnell not to run against Rep. Conor Lamb, but to run in a 'safer,' more heavily Republican district."
:snippity:
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
Kendra

Post by Kendra »

Mick Mulvaney lied to us for four years to advance the cause of authoritarianism, and now we're supposed to take seriously his analysis of Biden's economic policies? Hardest of hard passes.
:brickwallsmall: :brickwallsmall: :brickwallsmall:

Who at CBS thought this was a good idea?
MN-Skeptic

Post by MN-Skeptic »

CNN+ (aka CNN Plus)'s streaming video service has started up. For the next month you can sign up for $2.99/month for life.

I signed up.

I already subscribe to Netflix, Disney, etc. I'm not great at actually watching these streaming video services, but I like that they're there for when I finally get in the mood to watch them. One of these days.
MN-Skeptic

Post by MN-Skeptic »

Well, that was interesting. I came home from shopping to find a message from the credit card fraud division wanting me to confirm a recent purchase. I called them back, and it was the $2.99 for CNN+. I wonder if that got triggered because a lot of folks were signing up today and so there were all of these small charges.
Kendra

Post by Kendra »

MN-Skeptic wrote: Tue Mar 29, 2022 1:34 pm CNN+ (aka CNN Plus)'s streaming video service has started up. For the next month you can sign up for $2.99/month for life.

I signed up.

I already subscribe to Netflix, Disney, etc. I'm not great at actually watching these streaming video services, but I like that they're there for when I finally get in the mood to watch them. One of these days.
Are you having trouble watching it? I signed up and sometimes the website is easy to navigate and find shows, then today it's not letting me watch anything but Monday's Kasie Hunt show, Reliable Sources and Lisa Ling (that I don't want to watch). The search options don't work. I've tried it in Edge and Chrome browsers and the browser for my Fire tablet. Nothing. :mad:
Edit: OK, so I updated the CNN app on my Fire tablet and phone, and now I can see/watch all the shows on those devices. Tried updating MS Edge browser and rebooting the PC, no luck.
Kendra

Post by Kendra »

https://www.msn.com/en-us/tv/news/fox-n ... f961071fa9
NEW YORK (AP) — Fox News Channel says it has hired Caitlyn Jenner as a contributor, with her first appearance set for Thursday on Sean Hannity's program.

Jenner, the former Olympic decathlete, ran an unsuccessful campaign for California governor last year. The network said she'll offer commentary and analysis across various Fox News Media platforms.

“Caitlyn's story is an inspiration to us all,” said Suzanne Scott, Fox News Media CEO. “She is a trailblazer in the LGBTQ+ community and her illustrious career spans a variety of fields that will be a tremendous asset for our audience.”

Jenner won the Olympic gold medal in the decathlon in 1976. She later came out as a transgender and identifies as a female.

She said in a statement she was “humbled by this unique opportunity” to speak directly to Fox's audience.
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

:sick:

Her politics are fine for faux noise; her gender identity not so much.
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
pipistrelle

Post by pipistrelle »

Wouldn’t Renee Richards have been an actual trailblazer?
MN-Skeptic

Post by MN-Skeptic »

Kendra wrote: Thu Mar 31, 2022 1:13 pm
MN-Skeptic wrote: Tue Mar 29, 2022 1:34 pm CNN+ (aka CNN Plus)'s streaming video service has started up. For the next month you can sign up for $2.99/month for life.

I signed up.

Are you having trouble watching it? I signed up and sometimes the website is easy to navigate and find shows, then today it's not letting me watch anything but Monday's Kasie Hunt show, Reliable Sources and Lisa Ling (that I don't want to watch). The search options don't work. I've tried it in Edge and Chrome browsers and the browser for my Fire tablet. Nothing. :mad:
Edit: OK, so I updated the CNN app on my Fire tablet and phone, and now I can see/watch all the shows on those devices. Tried updating MS Edge browser and rebooting the PC, no luck.
I’m great at signing up. Not so great at actually watching. It’s just on my to-do list at the moment.
Kendra

Post by Kendra »

I’m great at signing up. Not so great at actually watching. It’s just on my to-do list at the moment.
:lol: Same here, but I did want to listen to some while I'm at work. I really liked the first episode of Kasie Hunt's new show, and want to see more. It's nice seeing the host and guests having a longer discussion on a single topic vs. the shorter cable version and then commercial break and then another topic/panel.
MN-Skeptic

Post by MN-Skeptic »

I figure that CNN will get the bugs worked out fairly quickly.
Phoenix520
Verified:

Post by Phoenix520 »

Who at CBS thought this was a good idea?
They believe the Republicans will take Congress in 22 and they’re positioning themselves for “access”. Yup, that’s what they said.
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

They have done this before. Always with the Republicans.
Kendra

Post by Kendra »

Time to break out the tequila to get through this lineup. Some nights are much worse than others in this job.

Return to “U.S. Culture and Media”