Spring forward.
To delete this message, click the X at top right.

Media Moves

Tiredretiredlawyer
Verified: ✅🐴🐎🦄🌻5000 posts and counting

Re: Media Moves

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer »

https://www.msn.com/en-us/entertainment ... uxbndlbing
Symone Sanders joins MSNBC as a weekend host

Sanders, 32, most recently served as chief spokesperson and senior advisor for Vice President Kamala Harris. She left that post last month.

Beginning this spring, the Nebraska native will be a Washington, D.C.-based weekend host on the NBCUniversal-owned outlet. She will have a program on MSNBC's streaming channel the Choice, which is available on Peacock.

Sanders, who gained national recognition as chief spokesperson for Sen. Bernie Sanders' 2016 presidential campaign, is the latest former politico to cycle into a cable news career.
"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.
RVInit

Post by RVInit »

There's a lot of things that need to change. One specifically? Police brutality.
--Colin Kaepernick
Kendra

Post by Kendra »

Kendra

Post by Kendra »

~some personal news~

Really excited to be joining the incredible
@NBCNews
team, where I’ll continue covering DOJ et al. (including the sprawling Jan. 6 investigation).
Kendra

Post by Kendra »

NEW: Robert Costa is leaving The Washington Post for CBS News.
Kendra

Post by Kendra »

Confirmed — and "Morning Joe" is expanding to the 9am ET hour to cover Ruhle's current time slot
tek

Post by tek »

Just what the world needs: more Morning Joe :sick:
Kendra

Post by Kendra »

Will they just repeat the second hour in the fourth like they do the first hour in the third hour? :roll:
p0rtia

Post by p0rtia »

Kendra wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 6:40 am
Confirmed — and "Morning Joe" is expanding to the 9am ET hour to cover Ruhle's current time slot
Read this with mixed emotions. Ruhle is, IMHO, a mixed bag. I've heard her do thoughtful and context-based reporting and interviewing, and I've heard her ask the stupid shallow questions based on rw talking points A LOT.

I'm willing to accept that a lot of the cheesy, shallow crap is due to a second rate staff writing fourth rate questions because of resource constraints. I'm hopeful that with a nighttime production team, she will up her game and shine.
filly

Post by filly »

I quit watching The 11th Hour because I can’t stand Peter Baker,
RVInit

Post by RVInit »

Can we do Chuck Todd now? I really want to wake up one morning and find out he's been cancelled.
There's a lot of things that need to change. One specifically? Police brutality.
--Colin Kaepernick
p0rtia

Post by p0rtia »

:yeahthat:

:daydreaming:
Luke
Location: @orly_licious With Pete Buttigieg and the other "open and defiant homosexuals" --Bryan Fischer AFA

Post by Luke »

I was involved in early parts of Warner Bros, first when Time & Warner merged, then when Time bought Turner, then when online provider CompuServe went through a transaction with WorldCom (whose CEO, Bernie Ebbers, subsequently went to jail), where the network assets of CompuServe went to WorldCom and the content went to AOL. Then the infamous AOL Time Warner deal happened. Still in touch with Steve Case, who created AOL, and Bob Pittman, who was the CEO (he's still a big name in the industry). So then AOL Time Warner was a disaster as predicted, the Warners folks just couldn't believe they were listed 2nd to some transitory online thing. By 2009, Time Warner spun off AOL. In 2015, Verizon bought AOL (which has been a disaster). As we told all these guys IN THE 90S, Telcos should NOT create CONTENT. Geez. But no, AT&T couldn't help themselves and bought Time Warner, then spun off Time. Now here we go again, AT&T spins off WarnerMedia to Discovery.

Bugs Bunny and Foghorn Leghorn's heads are spinning, they are confused af! Stop selling them!! :lol:
1989: Time Inc. and Warner Communications agree to merge, creating the largest media and entertainment conglomerate in the world.

1995: Time Warner agrees to buy Turner Broadcasting System for $9.6 billion, bringing together brands such as CNN, TBS, HBO, Time, Sports Illustrated and Warner Bros.

2000: America Online agrees to purchase Time Warner for $165 billion in what would be the biggest merger in history. The company is renamed AOL Time Warner.

2003: Time Warner sells its Warner Music division for about $2.6 billion.

2009: The company spins off Time Warner Cable.

2009: Time Warner spins off AOL, unwinding one of the most ill-fated marriages in the history of the media and technology business.

2014: Time Warner splits its Time Inc. magazine division into a separate public company.

2015: Verizon Communications announces a $4.4 billion deal for AOL.

2015: Charter Communications agrees to acquire Time Warner Cable for $64.6 billion.

October 2016: AT&T agrees to buy Time Warner for about $85.4 billion.

November 2017: The Meredith Corporation agrees to purchase Time Inc. in an all-cash transaction valued at nearly $2 billion.

June 2018: AT&T closes its acquisition of Time Warner.
AT&T to spin off WarnerMedia in $43 billion Discovery media merger, cuts dividend
PUBLISHED TUE, FEB 1 20226:41 AM ESTUPDATED 14 MIN AGO
Alex Sherman

KEY POINTS
AT&T said on Tuesday it will spin off WarnerMedia in a $43 billion transaction to merge its media properties with Discovery.
AT&T shareholders will own 71% of the new Warner Bros. Discovery company and will receive 0.24 shares of Warner Bros. Discovery for each AT&T share they own.
AT&T will pay a dividend of $1.11 per share, down from $2.08 per share.
In this article

AT&T said on Tuesday it will spin off WarnerMedia in a $43 billion transaction to merge its media properties with Discovery and also cut its dividend by nearly half. AT&T shareholders will own 71% of the new Warner Bros. Discovery company and will receive 0.24 shares of Warner Bros. Discovery for each AT&T share they own. AT&T will have 7.2 billion diluted shares outstanding after the transaction closes. AT&T shares were down about 4% Tuesday morning. AT&T will pay a dividend of $1.11 per share, down from $2.08 per share. This is at the lower end of an $8 billion to $9 billion range AT&T had forecast earlier.

The deal to unwind AT&T’s $85 billion purchase of Time Warner was announced early last year, but some financial details were not disclosed until Tuesday. AT&T reiterated its expectation the spin will close in the second quarter of 2022. AT&T had contemplated a split-off, rather than a spin, of WarnerMedia. In that scenario, shareholders would have the option to exchange AT&T shares for stock in WarnerMedia-Discovery. Stankey told CNBC last week a spin would avoid “leakage” in value because it’s tax free. “To execute a split, especially one of this size, it would require some value leakage to execute that and actually get the shares placed,” said Stankey last week. “I’m not sure I’m really a big fan of that value leakage dynamic right now and being second guessed on it.”

Spinning WarnerMedia allows AT&T to focus its capital expenditure on building out its wireless network rather than spending on entertainment content to compete with Netflix, Disney and other streaming services. AT&T anticipates spending about $20 billion in capital expenditures this year to invest more heavily into fiber to the home broadband internet services and expanding its 5G wireless footprint. The transaction will also help reduce AT&T’s heavy debt load. It ended the fourth quarter with net debt of $156.2 billion, giving it a net debt to adjusted EBITDA ratio of about 3.22 times. AT&T said it expected the debt ratio to drop to 2.5 times by the end of 2023 and that it would consider share buybacks if the ratio is reduced further.

Warner Bros Discovery will be playing catch up to larger streaming video rival Netflix even though WarnerMedia’s HBO Max grew faster in the United States in the fourth quarter, ending the year with 74 million subscribers. Netflix has more than 222 million global subscribers. Disney’s financial results due next week will provide another gauge of the vitality of the streaming business as Wall Street questions if the industry-wide reorganization to focus on streaming video will pay off long term. That will help guide how investors value Warner Bros Discovery, which will trade under the ticker WBD.
https://www.cnbc.com/2022/02/01/att-to- ... erger.html
Lt Root Beer of the Mighty 699th. Fogbow 💙s titular Mama June in Fogbow's Favourite Show™ Mama June: From Not To Hot! Fogbow's Theme Song™ Edith Massey's "I Got The Evidence!" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C5jDHZd0JAg
Tiredretiredlawyer
Verified: ✅🐴🐎🦄🌻5000 posts and counting

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer »

Rachel Maddow is taking a leave of absence beginning February 8.

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/rachel-m ... cbfa20f134
Rachel Maddow Taking Break From MSNBC Show
During her time away from the show, Maddow will be focused on a podcast and on executive producing "Bag Man," a movie directed by Ben Stiller.
"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

I'm hoping they will have just one person covering her program while she's gone. I get tired of the surprise fill-in hosts all the time. I'm not surprised by this. I'm sure it was a part of her new contract. She was looking for freedom to do more things, and I don't blame her. (I thought she said Thursday was her last night, but I could have heard wrong.)
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
RTH10260
Verified: ✔️ Eurobot

Post by RTH10260 »

"AT&T to spin off WarnerMedia in $43 billion"

And the trillionaire and FL man did not want to expand his own media empire :?: :think: :confuzzled:

:lol:
northland10
Verified: ✅ I'm me.

Post by northland10 »

Regarding the WarnerMedia move... surprised, I am not. You'd think that CEOs of not content-creating companies would see the history and realize that buying a media creation company becomes a drag that later leadership decides to dump (Gulf and Western, Transamerica, GE, etc). Places like Disney I imagine have it better because their model and history is based on being a studio first.
101010 :towel:
Uninformed

Post by Uninformed »

May not be the correct thread.

“CNN's Jeff Zucker resigns over undisclosed relationship”:
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-60236190

“CNN president Jeff Zucker has resigned from the network after failing to disclose a romantic relationship with a senior executive.
The 56-year-old Mr Zucker said in a memo to colleagues that he was "wrong" to not report the relationship as required.
The relationship was discovered during an investigation into the conduct of fired CNN anchor Chris Cuomo.”
If you can't lie to yourself, who can you lie to?
Kendra

Post by Kendra »

Can't find a link yet, but Anderson Cooper just announced a new addition to the family - another baby! He's taking time off and handed his show off to John Berman. Congrats to the new parents. :lovestruck:
MN-Skeptic

Post by MN-Skeptic »

AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

:thumbsup:
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/stephanie- ... -rcna13773
Veteran anchor and reporter Stephanie Ruhle will be the new host of MSNBC's "The 11th Hour," while the cable network's "Morning Joe" is set to expand to an additional fourth hour, the network's president announced Thursday.

Ruhle, now the host of “MSNBC Live with Stephanie Ruhle” at 9 a.m. ET, will take the 11 p.m. seat formerly held by Brian Williams, who signed off in December.

Before she joined MSNBC in 2016, Ruhle had worked at Bloomberg Television, Bloomberg News, Deutsche Bank and Credit Suisse.
Luke
Location: @orly_licious With Pete Buttigieg and the other "open and defiant homosexuals" --Bryan Fischer AFA

Post by Luke »

Morning Joe is like 50% filler, would have cut it to 90 minutes vs adding an hour. :lol: MSNBC needs to go back to more news, and maybe targeted to a younger audience. Young people are far more aware of news than we give them credit for and they are a top demo to reach. I was around at the creation of MSNBC, my buddy Jim Kinsella was the MS guy reporting to Bill Gates, and Merrill Brown was the NBC side (roughly). It was designed to bring technology to NBC News. It's turned into a mess with a few diamonds. They have a reckoning coming too also.

But my post is really about CNN. Mentioned previously we don't have cable (COVID casualty as well as repetitive news fatigue) but can listen through Tune In on the tablet or Echo. We've been listening to CNN's Ukraine coverage and have been impressed. Jeff Zucker is a clown, he bears huge responsibility for the rise of DL2XIT by covering him obsessively when he was running, and making CNN look ridiculous by covering every rumor about him in office. To be fair(er) to Jeff, he wasn't really a news guy, he's an entertainment guy. Anyway, the good news is that getting out of AT&T (another ridiculous move, will never forgive them for creating/funding OAN and other anti-American networks) means CNN gets a reset.
CNN’s up-to-the-minute coverage of the war has won praise from Discovery executives in recent days. “I’ve been watching a lot of CNN,” Zaslav [CEO of Discovery] said on an investor call on Thursday. While other news channels have people “sitting behind desks and giving their opinion about what’s going on,” he said, CNN is “on the ground with journalists in bulletproof vests and helmets that are doing what journalists do best, which is fight to tell the truth in dangerous places. So that we all can be safe and we can assess what’s going on.”
Chris Licht is a really good guy. While he's been showrunning Colbert's show, he's a news guy. While his CBS deal is until April, for us, changes are already showing at CNN and it couldn't happen soon enough. Another reason CNN is getting back to its roots is evil John Malone, the Grandpa of Cable. John was heavily involved with the Discovery deal and made it a priority that CNN covered news. The ratio of opinion was wildly out of whack. Clearly they were trying to copy Fox News' opinion network, but that only works for a small number of people. If you look at Fox News' ratings, it's like 80+ are 55+, it's a babysitter. CNN can do better than that.

Anyway, here's Chris' book --
What do you learn when your brain goes pop?

Chris Licht had always been ambitious. When he was only nine years old, he tracked down an NBC correspondent while on vacation to solicit advice for a career in television. At eleven, he began filming himself as he delivered the news. And by the time he was thirty-five, he landed his dream job: a fast-paced, demanding spot at the helm of MSNBC’s Morning Joe—one of the most popular shows on cable TV. He had become a real-life Jerry Maguire: hard-charging, obsessively competitive, and willing to sacrifice anything to get it done. He felt invincible. Then one day Chris heard a pop in his head, followed by a whoosh of blood and crippling pain. Doctors at the ER said he had suffered a near-deadly brain hemorrhage. Chris’s life had almost been cut short, and he had eight long days in a hospital bed to think about it.

What I Learned When I Almost Died tells the story of what happened next.

What I Learned When I Almost Died
How a Maniac TV Producer Put Down His BlackBerry and Started to Live His Life
ISBN:9781451627688, 1451627688
Page count: 176 Published: May 24, 2011 Format: Ebook Publisher:Simon & Schuster
Author:Chris Licht
27 pages are in Google Books: https://www.google.com/books/edition/Wh ... jD0C?hl=en

We've recommended it to Broward Public Library's Overdrive (the audiobook, but they don't have either version). I have a copy from Chris (he shared it on Facebook when he wrote it) but think many would appreciate it. (I got to know Chris when he was with KNBC in LA, he's a few years younger than me.)
Chris Licht, named new head of CNN, is expected to restore hard-news sensibility
The CBS executive, who also co-created ‘Morning Joe,’ is tasked with helping the network overcome a recent series of controversies
https://www.washingtonpost.com/media/20 ... nn-zucker/
We're rooting for CNN to come back and be the news source it always was meant to be. We think CNN+ is a dopey idea. These news networks need to make content MORE available, not put it behind firewalls. News is the ultimate "low shelflife product" and any exec who thinks limiting access is good should be fired. Let's see what happens to CNN+.

(This concludes my media lecture for today :P I gave a similar talk on Monday via Zoom to Yale students, where my Dad was a prof for many years. I love doing those classes, I learn as much from the kids as they do from the info.)
Lt Root Beer of the Mighty 699th. Fogbow 💙s titular Mama June in Fogbow's Favourite Show™ Mama June: From Not To Hot! Fogbow's Theme Song™ Edith Massey's "I Got The Evidence!" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C5jDHZd0JAg
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

They are expanding Morning Joe to four hours when Stephanie Rhule takes over the 11 PM hour. When Brian Williams left, I was hoping they would just go back to a re-run of Chris Hayes at 11 PM. Williams slowly grew on me, and I like Stephanie Rhule, but by 11 PM, I have had way more than my fill of talking heads. Actually, before that. I also like McDonnell, but I'm burned out on whatever is passing for news by that time, too. Last night, I didn't make it through Rachel Maddow's program.

I can tell some here are following the war blow by blow, but I've never been able to do that. I'm definitely watching less since the war started. That's just me. I read the threads here, and I catch a little of the news, enough that I understand what's going on, but I don't want or need to know the minute-by-minute breakdown. I appreciate those of you who do. I just can't.
Lani

Post by Lani »

MSNBC was my go-to station, but I've been drifting away for awhile. I was going back and forth between MSNBC to CNN, but now my preferred channel is CNN.
Image You can't wait until life isn't hard anymore before you decide to be happy.

Return to “U.S. Culture and Media”