Spring forward.
To delete this message, click the X at top right.

Media Moves

RTH10260
Verified: ✔️ Eurobot

Re: Media Moves

Post by RTH10260 »

Volkonski wrote: Wed Jul 07, 2021 10:44 am USA Today is putting up a paywall.
NYT reports it:
USA Today will make readers pay for its website, joining other top news outlets.

By Marc Tracy
July 7, 2021, 5:02 a.m. ET

When USA Today was introduced nearly 40 years ago, its short articles, copious charts and detailed weather coverage were disdained by the staid newspaper industry, which nonetheless quickly found itself copying many of the upstart’s novel features.

But on Wednesday, USA Today announced it was playing catch-up with its contemporaries, becoming the final major national daily to require readers to pay to read news online.

In a note to readers published Wednesday online and in the print edition, two executives at Gannett, the newspaper chain that owns USA Today, laid out their pitch.

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/07/07/busi ... ywall.html
p0rtia

Post by p0rtia »

https://ckarchive.com/b/k0umh6h0wo69

Tomorrow Will Be Worse: The Agony and Ecstasy of the Trump Reporters, After the Fall of Trump
In the weeks before the 2020 election, when it was becoming pretty clear even to the most superstitious and traumatized Democrat that Joe Biden was headed for victory, the journalists of #thistown began to worry. People you’ve likely read or heard of or watched were concerned about what a Trump loss would mean for their career. That was the talk of the town. Sure, Donald Trump had been a disaster for the country, but what would they do after he left the White House?

Trump had been the biggest story they had ever covered—and, most likely, would ever cover again. A whole generation of young reporters had cut their teeth and established their reputations chronicling Trump. Many of the women translating Trump to the bewildered country became mini celebrities of the resistance. Some of the men became martyrs—and then leaned all the way in. The older folks made millions writing books that brimmed with sensational and unexpected revelations, like how Trump was an ignorant racist who presided over a violently dysfunctional White House. (Shocking, I know.)

Some were relieved for the country’s sake. “I’m not of the camp that misses Trump,” said the broadcast reporter. “I understand the sentiment, but you also have to step back and look at what happened on January 6. This isn’t a fun game that we’re playing on Twitter, it’s serious. It’s bigger than you and your career.”

But many feel a yawning sense of emptiness and disappointment at what the ebbing Trump tide left behind. “I think everyone probably misses the ease of it, having so many willing leakers,” said the young White House reporter. “It made you think that you were better than you were. It made you think you were a really good reporter, but really, are you? I think we had an inflated sense of our abilities and it was all a fraud. Now everyone is exposed and everyone is dogshit. Where are the great stories? They don’t exist. I can’t remember the last time I read a great story that really revealed something about the Biden White House.”
Azastan
Verified:

Post by Azastan »

p0rtia wrote: Sat Jul 10, 2021 9:37 am https://ckarchive.com/b/k0umh6h0wo69
I can’t remember the last time I read a great story that really revealed something about the Biden White House.”

Sorry to hear that the Biden White House does not have the same high class employees as The Former Guy's White House.
Tiredretiredlawyer
Verified: ✅🐴🐎🦄🌻5000 posts and counting

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer »

Where are the great stories? They don’t exist. I can’t remember the last time I read a great story that really revealed something about the Biden White House.”
What that reporter means is "I can’t remember the last time I read a great story that really revealed something negative, corrupt, or scandalous about the Biden White House.”
"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.
Frater I*I
Verified: ✅Verified Devilish Hyena

Post by Frater I*I »

I know, it's shocking that when you have an adult running the show the drama seems to be nil...
"He sewed his eyes shut because he is afraid to see, He tries to tell me what I put inside of me
He's got the answers to ease my curiosity, He dreamed a god up and called it Christianity"

Trent Reznor
p0rtia

Post by p0rtia »

The WH press prefers to deal with seditious liars, incompetents, and fools.

As I like to say: The media are part of the goddam problem.
zekeb
Occupation: Stable genius. One who tosses horseshit with a pitchfork and never misses the spreader.

Post by zekeb »

p0rtia wrote: Sat Jul 10, 2021 11:09 am The WH press prefers to deal with seditious liars, incompetents, and fools.

As I like to say: The media are part of the goddam problem.
The Media is treating trump's lawsuits against twitter, Facebook, et al as if these are legitimate lawsuits. Fodder for the RWNJs. Fodder for the fence sitters. Fodder for those who believe the press when they, themselves, don't know how things work. When these suits are dismissed The Media will barely say a word, if they say anything.
Il factotum
Kendra

Post by Kendra »

Some personal news, as they say — thank you to all of the viewers, reporters, lawmakers and everyone else who’s gotten up extra early to help make ⁦
@WayTooEarly
⁩ better. I loved doing this show. More soon! #WayTooEarly
filly

Post by filly »

I read she’s going to CNN to work on digital media.
Kendra

Post by Kendra »

filly wrote: Fri Jul 16, 2021 3:56 pm I read she’s going to CNN to work on digital media.
And, you're spot on.

https://thehill.com/homenews/media/5636 ... arDEHIfPQA
Kasie Hunt is headed to CNN as the network aims to expand and promote its streaming platforms, according to a new report.

Hunt, who announced last week that she was leaving NBC, was offered an annual salary of between $1 million and $1.5 million, a source told Variety, a figure executives at NBC reportedly felt they could not match.

After working as a Capitol Hill correspondent, fill-in anchor, analyst and host for the network for nearly a decade, Hunt announced she was leaving during Friday's edition of her daytime talk program on MSNBC, "Way Too Early."
filly

Post by filly »

Kendra wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 7:30 pm
filly wrote: Fri Jul 16, 2021 3:56 pm I read she’s going to CNN to work on digital media.
And, you're spot on.

https://thehill.com/homenews/media/5636 ... arDEHIfPQA
Kasie Hunt is headed to CNN as the network aims to expand and promote its streaming platforms, according to a new report.

Hunt, who announced last week that she was leaving NBC, was offered an annual salary of between $1 million and $1.5 million, a source told Variety, a figure executives at NBC reportedly felt they could not match.

After working as a Capitol Hill correspondent, fill-in anchor, analyst and host for the network for nearly a decade, Hunt announced she was leaving during Friday's edition of her daytime talk program on MSNBC, "Way Too Early."
New platform will be CNN+”
p0rtia

Post by p0rtia »

She will fit right in.

I wish MSNBC could have negotiated to get Brianna Keiler in return. :oldlady:
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

:yeahthat:
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
Kendra

Post by Kendra »

I hadn't heard of CNN+ yet. https://edition.cnn.com/2021/07/19/medi ... index.html
CNN is hiring hundreds of people and developing dozens of programs for a subscription streaming service that will launch early next year.

The new venture, called CNN+, was formally announced on Monday morning. It will exist side by side with CNN's existing television networks and will feature eight to twelve hours of live programming a day.

Jeff Zucker, the chairman of WarnerMedia News and Sports and president of CNN Worldwide, portrayed CNN+ as the evolution of video news and the start of a new era for the company.

"CNN invented cable news in 1980, defined online news in 1995 and now is taking an important step in expanding what news can be by launching a direct-to-consumer streaming subscription service in 2022," Zucker said in a statement.

The executive in charge of CNN+, chief digital officer Andrew Morse, said "this is the most important launch for CNN since Ted Turner launched the network in June of 1980."

That's because it is an urgent bid to keep up with changing consumer demands.
filly

Post by filly »

Too many streaming services. Too many reporters/authors with their own paid "newsletters." We just cut the cord up here near the Arctic and watch tv on the Hulu app. Is working out well for us. Already have Neflix and Amazon Prime and that's all we are willing to pay for streaming content. Enough is enough!
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

:yeahthat:

I haven't cut the cable yet, but I'm working towards it. But I'm also feeling as if there are just too many streaming services out there.
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
filly

Post by filly »

AndyinPA wrote: Tue Jul 20, 2021 10:38 am :yeahthat:

I haven't cut the cable yet, but I'm working towards it. But I'm also feeling as if there are just too many streaming services out there.
Just do it. There are adjustments to be made in your viewing habits, but they really are minor. Look for a live TV service that carries the channels you watch most. I chose Hulu but my son has Youtube and he loves it. The channel guides are remarkably clumsy for tech companies, but other than that the reception is great and I am happy to have the ugly cable boxes gone from my home.
Tiredretiredlawyer
Verified: ✅🐴🐎🦄🌻5000 posts and counting

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer »

https://www.wweek.com/news/state/2021/0 ... -governor/
New York Times Columnist Nicholas Kristof Is Exploring a Run for Oregon Governor
Kristof, a two-time Pulitzer winner, grew up on a Yamhill County farm.

In recent days, a poll includes Kristof’s name and asks voters how they would feel about a journalist who grew up on a farm running for office. The poll also includes other Democratic hopefuls. Kristof was raised on a sheep and cherry farm in Yamhill County, about an hour southwest of Portland.

Contacted about the poll, Kristof says his friends are attempting to recruit him.

“All I know for sure is that we need someone with leadership and vision so that folks from all over the state can come together to get us back on track,” he adds.

He declined to say when he moved back to Oregon. For at least two years, he has been visiting his family farm in Yamhill, removing the cherry orchard to make way for cider apples.

Kristof, 62, who attended Harvard and was a Rhodes scholar at Oxford, is perhaps best known for his columns on international human rights abuses, including sex trafficking, sweat shops and child marriage. He won an international reporting Pulitzer in 1990 (along with his his wife, Sheryl WuDunn) for covering the Tiananmen Square protests in China, then another Pulitzer for commentary in 2006 for columns on genocide in Darfur.
"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.
Kendra

Post by Kendra »

https://nationalzero.com/2021/08/02/and ... nt-claims/
Judge Andrew Napolitano, at one point discussed as a potential Donald Trump nominee to the United States Supreme Court, has been fired from Fox News after a sexual harassment lawsuit was filed on Monday, AdWeek reports.

John Fawcett, a production assistant at Fox Business, claimed that Napolitano sexually harassed him in 2019 in an elevator the two were riding in. Fawcett reported the incident to the human resources department of the network but, he claims, executives didn’t take any action. The 27-year-old Fawcett alleges that Napolitano sexually harassed many men at the network.

Fawcett, who worked on Larry Kudlow’s show after staying with the network when Lou Dobbs was fired, also alleges that Kudlow made racist and sexist remarks during production meetings, and Fox News executive let him slide.

Fox News released a statement to Adweek: “Upon first learning of John Fawcett’s allegations against Judge Andrew Napolitano, Fox News Media immediately investigated the claims and addressed the matter with both parties. The network and Judge Napolitano have since parted ways. We take all allegations of misconduct seriously, are committed to providing a safe, transparent, and collaborative workplace environment for all our employees and took immediate, appropriate action. Furthermore, the additional allegations laid out in this claim are completely baseless and nothing more than a desperate attempt at a payday by trying the case in the court of public opinion as the complaint does not meet the standards of the law. We will defend the matter vigorously in court.
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

Oh noes!

Brandi Buchman
@Brandi_Buchman
Some personal news: I was laid off from Courthouse News. Not for performance but over a dispute re: my compensation. I enjoyed my time here covering the White House, Congress and the courts at such a critical juncture in history. So, if seeking a DC beat reporter, DMs are open!
“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
Kendra

Post by Kendra »

https://www.thedailybeast.com/rachel-ma ... ving-msnbc
Rachel Maddow has been MSNBC’s most high-profile on-air personality for more than a decade, long embodying the network’s liberal ethos and raking in an obsessive following for her nightly primetime broadcast.

But when MSNBC viewers tune in next year, she may not be there.

According to six people familiar with the situation, Maddow, 48, is seriously considering leaving the network when her contract ends early next year as negotiations drag on and the temptation to take her brand elsewhere or start her own lucrative media company has grown.
p0rtia

Post by p0rtia »

Move on, Rachel. Life is short.

Maddow was must listen radio back in the day on Air America (or whatever it was on XM--the name changed every year). Wherever she goes, she'll be great.
Kendra

Post by Kendra »

p0rtia wrote: Thu Aug 12, 2021 5:15 pm Move on, Rachel. Life is short.

Maddow was must listen radio back in the day on Air America (or whatever it was on XM--the name changed every year). Wherever she goes, she'll be great.
I agree, it's time to cut back, have a life and smell the roses.
Estiveo
Verified:

Post by Estiveo »

Image Image Image Image
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

I was with her either way. I'm glad to hear she's taking on some other NBC projects, too, though.

Return to “U.S. Culture and Media”