Spring forward.
To delete this message, click the X at top right.

Media Moves

AndyinPA
Verified:

Re: Media Moves

Post by AndyinPA »

:yikes:
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
Tiredretiredlawyer
Verified: ✅🐴🐎🦄🌻5000 posts and counting

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer »

Tequila won't work. This requires many bottles of champagne!!!!!!!
"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.
Phoenix520
Verified:

Post by Phoenix520 »

Better yet, a sudden power outage and uncharged devices!
Tiredretiredlawyer
Verified: ✅🐴🐎🦄🌻5000 posts and counting

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer »

Phoenix520 wrote: Fri Apr 01, 2022 2:40 pm Better yet, a sudden power outage and uncharged devices!
Perfect ambiance as long as the champagne is on ice!
"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.
Kriselda Gray
Verified:

Post by Kriselda Gray »

Phoenix520 wrote: Fri Apr 01, 2022 2:40 pm Better yet, a sudden power outage and uncharged devices!
:like:
Kendra

Post by Kendra »

https://www.msn.com/en-us/entertainment ... 428d26133b
Nicolle Wallace and Michael Schmidt officially tied the knot.

Wallace, 50, and Schmidt, 38, wed last Saturday, a spokesperson for MSNBC confirms with PEOPLE. Page Six was the first to report the news.

Wallace was seen wearing what appeared to be a wedding band on her ring finger during Monday's episode of MSNBC's Deadline: White House.

The newlyweds met on Wallace's show and started dating in March 2019, according to Page Six.

The former View co-host was previously married to Mark Wallace, the US Ambassador to the United Nations, from 2005 to 2019. The exes co-parent son Liam.
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

I knew they had been dating for a while, and just saw today that they had married. I didn't realize how recently it was. Thanks.
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

Rachel's back. Nice to see her again, but very mixed feelings on her return. For the rest of April, she will be on Monday through Thursday; next month, her program will be weekly. :(

I knew when she signed her new contract, things were going to change. I wasn't expecting quite that much change.
Kendra

Post by Kendra »

https://www.axios.com/discovery-cnn-plu ... b5095.html
Warner Bros. Discovery has suspended all external marketing spend for CNN+ and has laid off CNN's longtime chief financial officer as it weighs what to do with the subscription streaming service moving forward, five sources tell Axios.

Why it matters: Inside CNN, executives think the launch has been successful. Discovery executives disagree.

CNN+ has roughly 150,000 subscribers so far.

Warner Bros. Discovery wants to eventually build one giant service around HBO Max.

New leadership has replaced CNN CFO Brad Ferrer with Neil Chugani, Discovery's current CFO for streaming and international, as part of a broader finance team restructuring.

Other high-level positions at WarnerMedia across different business functions are likely to be eliminated to cut costs and streamline leadership in coming weeks.

What to watch: Sources say a plan is being considered to replace Chris Cuomo's 9:00pm EST primetime slot with a live newscast, instead of personality-driven perspective programming.
Suranis

Post by Suranis »

This is no Testicle Microwaving and wrestling... but its still kinda weird.

Hic sunt dracones
Frater I*I
Verified: ✅Verified Devilish Hyena

Post by Frater I*I »

Suranis wrote: Wed Apr 20, 2022 6:59 pm This is no Testicle Microwaving and wrestling... but its still kinda weird.

Agreed...
"He sewed his eyes shut because he is afraid to see, He tries to tell me what I put inside of me
He's got the answers to ease my curiosity, He dreamed a god up and called it Christianity"

Trent Reznor
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

https://www.mediaite.com/tv/breaking-cn ... ree-weeks/
Warner Bros. Discovery is shutting down CNN+ just three weeks after its launch, Mediaite has learned.

The ambitious streaming service, conceived under former CNN president Jeff Zucker, was launched at the end of April with a massive marketing budget and a roster of high-profile hosts — including Chris Wallace, who was poached from Fox News — producing original content.

But reports that CNN+ was struggling to attract an audience dogged the service, which came under scrutiny from executives at Warner Bros. Discovery, the new parent company of CNN.

Despite CNN executives maintaining that the CNN+ launch was a success, the network suspended the service’s marketing spending and laid off its chief financial officer earlier this week. The New York Times first reported on Thursday that the service will completely cease operations on April 30. CNN confirmed the news with its own report shortly after.

“Chris Licht, the incoming president of CNN, called an all-hands meeting among CNN+ staffers for noon on Thursday to share the news,” the Times reported.
Mrich

Post by Mrich »

I wonder how they spent their "massive marketing budget"? The only way I knew about it was Anderson Cooper mentioned it on Late Night with Colbert.
MN-Skeptic

Post by MN-Skeptic »

Well, so much for my lifetime discounted $2/month subscription!
Kendra

Post by Kendra »

MN-Skeptic wrote: Thu Apr 21, 2022 1:29 pm Well, so much for my lifetime discounted $2/month subscription!
Me too. I haven't got real hooked on it yet, but I was enjoying Kasie Hunt back on TV.
Phoenix520
Verified:

Post by Phoenix520 »

A month? That’s not enough time to tell. Morons.
Kriselda Gray
Verified:

Post by Kriselda Gray »

I'm wondering if this was something the old ownership felt really strongly about and the new ownership wasn't behind it, so they took the first excuse they had to kill it?
Kendra

Post by Kendra »

Kriselda Gray wrote: Thu Apr 21, 2022 2:17 pm I'm wondering if this was something the old ownership felt really strongly about and the new ownership wasn't behind it, so they took the first excuse they had to kill it?
https://www.cnn.com/2022/04/21/media/cn ... index.html
CNN+, the streaming service that was hyped as one of the most significant developments in the history of CNN, will shut down on April 30, just one month after it launched.

CNN+ customers “will receive prorated refunds of subscription fees,” the company said.

The decision was made by new management after CNN’s former parent company, WarnerMedia, merged with Discovery to form Warner Bros. Discovery earlier this month.

The prior management team’s vision for CNN+ runs counter to Warner Bros. Discovery CEO David Zaslav’s plan to house all of the company’s brands under one streaming service. Some CNN+ programming may eventually live on through that service. Other programming will shift to CNN’s main television network.
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

https://www.msn.com/en-us/tv/news/msnbc ... ar-AAWleuH
MSNBC continues to take heat on the heels of Rachel Maddow announcing she would significantly cut her on-air schedule to focus on other projects, leaving the progressive cable news outlet without a reliable replacement for its cash cow.

Puck senior media correspondent and co-founder Dylan Byers scolded NBC Universal in a scathing Friday night piece headlined, "The Maddow Iceberg," which explored what’s going on at MSNBC and why leadership doesn’t seem to have a plan to replace its biggest star. Byers, a former NBC News media reporter, pointed out his old employer's recent piece on why Americans procrastinate on filing their taxes had a glass-house feel to it.

:snippity:

"Maddow isn’t just MSNBC’s biggest star—she is prime time. MSNBC relied on her as its sole ratings powerhouse because it had no remotely comparable talents, and because [NBCUniversal C.E.O. Jeff] Shell & Co. either believed the network couldn’t afford to lose her or because they didn’t want to be seen as the ones responsible for losing her," Byers wrote.

"The overwhelming consensus in the building was that MSNBC had no bench—no heir apparent who could be groomed to take Maddow’s place and deliver comparable ratings. All of which is to say that Shell and his deputies Cesar Conde and Rashida Jones had about 200 days to come up with a post-Maddow strategy: a bold new hire to anchor the primetime lineup, or at least an internal promotion that, coupled with the right marketing strategy, might signal the next iteration of the avowedly liberal cable news network," Byers wrote. "And yet, here we are."

MSNBC does not have a replacement for Maddow, and instead will use a rotating panel of guest hosts to anchor what Byers called the "bland, talent-less title" of MSNBC Prime four days a week when Maddow is busy with other ventures.
She should have just quit. I understand why she wanted to get away from the grind of the five-day-a-week (often four) program, and I don't blame her for that, but this is not helping anyone. I doubt I will watch when she's not there. I already am tired of all the guest hosts. I didn't watch it while she was gone. I like Ali Velshi well enough, but he was just covering the war, which I am purposely not watching wall to wall.
Lani

Post by Lani »

I switched to CNN. I switched because there was too much MSNBC opinions vs facts.
Image You can't wait until life isn't hard anymore before you decide to be happy.
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

I've been watching more of CNN, too, but in general have cut back all news.
Phoenix520
Verified:

Post by Phoenix520 »

I discovered Rachel on Air America, and was thrilled when she landed the MSNBC gig. I’ll follow her to the next place, wherever that is.

What about what’shername, the former Republican? Nicole Wallace?
p0rtia

Post by p0rtia »

Phoenix520 wrote: Sun Apr 24, 2022 6:22 pm I discovered Rachel on Air America, and was thrilled when she landed the MSNBC gig. I’ll follow her to the next place, wherever that is.

She is simply the best. She's the only one out there who day in and day out rings the fascism alarm bell. She calls a lie a lie. Her contempt for and horror of the neo-Republicans are that much deeper because she knows so many of them. Her panels are the best for anyone interested in the fall of democracy.
Kriselda Gray
Verified:

Post by Kriselda Gray »

p0rtia wrote: Sun Apr 24, 2022 6:32 pm
Phoenix520 wrote: Sun Apr 24, 2022 6:22 pm I discovered Rachel on Air America, and was thrilled when she landed the MSNBC gig. I’ll follow her to the next place, wherever that is.

She is simply the best. She's the only one out there who day in and day out rings the fascism alarm bell. She calls a lie a lie. Her contempt for and horror of the neo-Republicans are that much deeper because she knows so many of them. Her panels are the best for anyone interested in the fall of democracy.
Oh, yes, Nicole is great!
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

I like both Nicole and Rachel. I wonder how Jen will do?

Return to “U.S. Culture and Media”