Media Moves

AndyinPA
Verified:

Media Moves

Post by AndyinPA »

Nicole Wallace is back this afternoon.
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
p0rtia

Media Moves

Post by p0rtia »

:bunny: :bunny: :bunny:

Kudus to Alicia M. She done good. Kept the show largely focused on analysis on the big issues,
RTH10260
Verified: ✔️ Eurobot

Media Moves

Post by RTH10260 »

‘We have a real impact’: oldest Black college newspaper in US turns 100
Howard University’s the Hilltop chronicles one of the US’s most storied HBCUs and is helping a new generation of journalists navigate institutional racism

David Smith in Washington
Sun 3 Mar 2024 14.00 CET

“Malcolm X, one of the most evasive and non-specific individuals I’ve ever met (with his objectives and radical plans he would have to be), is perhaps one of the most clever artists of appealing to the emotions that I’ve ever seen. Bayard Rustin was ‘not’ in my estimation a fair match for Mr X. (Dr Martin Luther King would have been.)”

So begins an account of a debate between the civil rights leaders Malcolm X and Bayard Rustin that took place at Howard University in Washington. Along with a visit by the British anti-apartheid activist Trevor Huddleston, a student theatre production of Rashomon and an advert for Lucky Strike cigarettes, it is part of the mix in a 1961 issue of the Hilltop, the oldest Black collegiate newspaper in America.

The paper known as the student voice of Howard University has just turned 100. It held a gala celebration in February at the National Press Club in Washington with the Hilltop alumni Isabel Wilkerson, author of The Warmth of Other Suns and Caste. It was a moment to reflect on the paper’s standing as chronicler of one of America’s most storied Historically Black Colleges and Universities (HBCUs) and, in an election year, its role in helping a new generation navigate a racially divided nation.

Howard University was established on a hilltop in Washington by an act of Congress in 1867, soon after the civil war, creating opportunities for generations of Black intellectuals, lawyers, doctors and other professionals barred from attending predominantly white universities. Student Zora Neale Hurston, later a writer and anthropologist, co-founded the Hilltop in 1924.

Zora Neale Hurston (1903-1960) studied anthropology under the scholar Franz Boas. Photograph: Historical/Corbis/Getty Images
A dip into the archives shows that the first edition, which sold for 5 cents, reported that “enthusiasm ran high” for a speech by the Black separatist Marcus Garvey. Later issues find King delivering a lecture to 3,500 people and taking questions about Black power and, in 1989, around 3,000 students staging a huge protest over multiple grievances with backing from Jesse Jackson.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/202 ... 100-impact
Kendra

Media Moves

Post by Kendra »

https://www.newscaststudio.com/2024/02/ ... s-preview/

:snippity:
As expected, “CNN This Morning,” formerly known as “Early Start” with anchor Kasie Hunt becomes two hours and airs from 5 to 7 a.m. eastern.

“CNN NewsCentral” with John Berman, Kate Bolduan and Sara Sidner takes over from 7 to 10 a.m.

At 10 a.m., “CNN Newsroom with Jim Acosta” is scheduled to debut. Acosta previously indicated his show would debut Feb. 26 after exiting his weekend anchor spot.

The 11 a.m. hour is being filled with a program called “CNN Newsroom with Wolf Blitzer.” This was slot is eventually slated to be anchored by Pamela Brown, who is out on family leave. Plans call for it to switch to the name “The Bulletin with Pamela Brown” when she returns. Her return date has not been established yet.
:snippity:

I was wondering about the additional hour for Blitzer, happy to hear that's only temporary. Pamela Brown is great, I'll never forget that *spanking* she gave to then new rep Madison Cawthorne. IIRC, he didn't even realize what she did to him :boxing:
Volkonski
Verified:

Media Moves

Post by Volkonski »

Rupert Murdoch pulls Fox News-style channel off the air in UK after failing to build an audience

https://www.cnn.com/2024/03/05/media/ru ... index.html
Rupert Murdoch is pulling the plug on the television broadcast of his right-wing UK outlet TalkTV, a blow to the media mogul who launched the opinion-focused venture just two years ago with an aim of replicating the success of Fox News in the UK.

In a memo to staff on Tuesday obtained by CNN, Scott Taunton, TalkTV’s president of broadcasting, said that the network will shutter its linear television broadcast in the summer and move to an online-only operation, focusing on streaming platforms.

“While linear TV has been a good marketing and awareness window for Talk, we now need to focus our investment on where the eyeballs are and where the revenues are in growth. In order to be successful, we need to prioritise being where the audiences are, rather than asking them to come to find us down the channel guide,” he said.

After building a global newspaper empire and witnessing the ratings and profits success of the right-wing Fox News Channel in the US, Murdoch sought to break into the UK television business, replicating the opinion-driven talk format. But the outlet, which launched in 2022 with a roster of high-profile hosts, struggled to build an audience, failing to rival established centrist news outlets like the BBC and Sky News.

“A large proportion of our live viewing is already through streaming on televisions and we intend to continue to grow this. Clips will continue to be shared through social media,” Taunton said. “There is no doubt over Talk’s future as an audio and video channel, it just won’t be distributed on linear.”
“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
AndyinPA
Verified:

Media Moves

Post by AndyinPA »

https://thehill.com/homenews/media/4549 ... ntributor/
Ronna McDaniel, the former head of the Republican National Committee (RNC), will join NBC News as a contributor.

McDaniel will appear on “Meet The Press” this Sunday, giving her first interview since resigning as head of the RNC earlier this year.

McDaniel is expected to be featured as part of election coverage on NBC and on the network’s sister cable channel, MSNBC.

“It couldn’t be a more important moment to have a voice like Ronna’s on the team,” Carrie Budoff Brown, who leads political coverage at NBC, wrote in a memo shared with The New York Times.

These people always land on their feet. :brickwallsmall:
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
June bug

Media Moves

Post by June bug »

That story could have been cross-posted in “The Media are the Goddam Problem”. :mad:
AndyinPA
Verified:

Media Moves

Post by AndyinPA »

June bug wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2024 1:07 pm That story could have been cross-posted in “The Media are the Goddam Problem”. :mad:
I agree. https://thefogbow.com/forum/viewtopic.p ... 71#p252871
June bug

Media Moves

Post by June bug »

:thumbsup: Thanks, Andy!
bob

Media Moves

Post by bob »

Ronna McDaniel, the former head of the Republican National Committee (RNC), will join NBC News as a contributor.
The bird site is having a field day with this, e.g.:

Image ImageImage
AndyinPA
Verified:

Media Moves

Post by AndyinPA »

https://www.mediaite.com/media/ronna-mc ... ws-report/
Former RNC chair Ronna McDaniel may have inked a deal to appear as a political analyst on NBC News, but she is not welcome on sister network MSNBC, a new report revealed.

According to The Wall Street Journal, MSNBC president Rashida Jones “has no plans to have McDaniel on the channel,” citing “people familiar” with the controversy.

Turmoil has reportedly enveloped the left-leaning MSNBC newsroom following Friday’s announcement that McDaniel had been hired as an on-air contributor for NBC News. The Journal reported that there has been “internal backlash” over the hire — adding that “a number of MSNBC anchors and producers have voiced concern about McDaniel’s ties to former President Donald Trump and the RNC’s role in his efforts to challenge the 2020 election results.”
Cross-posted at The Media are the Goddamned Problem.
MN-Skeptic

Media Moves

Post by MN-Skeptic »

Aaron Rupar
@atrupar

Ronna's NBC tenure lasted less than a Scaramucci

Dylan Byers
@DylanByers

SCOOP @PuckNews: NBC NEWS plans to drop ex RNC-chair Ronna McDaniel as a paid contributor following on-air revolt from NBC/MSNBC talent. Execs are deliberating over details; announcement pending. Meanwhile, McDaniel is seeking legal representation.

Full details, scoops & backstory in next edition of In The Room. Subscribe here: https://puck.news/newsletters/in-the-room/
northland10
Verified: ✅ I'm me.

Media Moves

Post by northland10 »

So now our measurements are:

A Ronna
A Scaramucci
A Truss
A McCarthy

There is probably room for a Richardson (i.e. Elliot Richardson) between a Truss and a McCarthy.
101010 :towel:
p0rtia

Media Moves

Post by p0rtia »

And I barely had time to take the lettuce head out of the fridge. Darn.
Kendra

Media Moves

Post by Kendra »

Forgot to mention I watched a bit of Fox yesterday. Brett Baer (sp?) Had Britt Hume in to talk about it. Some grumbling about the MSNBC hosts complaining about it because there's nothing wrong with getting opposing opinions. Completely blew past mentioning the shenanigans with fake elections and describing J6 as political discourse.
pipistrelle

Media Moves

Post by pipistrelle »

northland10 wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 2:07 pm So now our measurements are:

A Ronna
A Scaramucci
A Truss
A McCarthy

There is probably room for a Richardson (i.e. Elliot Richardson) between a Truss and a McCarthy.
George Conway provided the Imperial measurement in Trusses.
p0rtia

Media Moves

Post by p0rtia »

Kendra wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 5:01 pm Forgot to mention I watched a bit of Fox yesterday. Brett Baer (sp?) Had Britt Hume in to talk about it. Some grumbling about the MSNBC hosts complaining about it because there's nothing wrong with getting opposing opinions. Completely blew past mentioning the shenanigans with fake elections and describing J6 as political discourse.
On Earth 2, there was no insurrection, there was no coup attempt, there were no violent MAGAs at the Capitol, there were no fake electors, there was widespread fraud in the 2020 election, and above all, there were no GOP officials, elected or otherwise, who did anything more questionable that trying to answer the Valid Questions of voters.

If you just accept the above, everything they say makes sense.

(Okay, not everything; the Magic White Buses that, was it Biggs? conjured up are an outlier.
Lani

Media Moves

Post by Lani »

I'm so happy Ronna McDaniel was thrown out of MSNBC! BTW, who hired her?
Image You can't wait until life isn't hard anymore before you decide to be happy.
Volkonski
Verified:

Media Moves

Post by Volkonski »

Hope this is an April Fool but fear it is real. :(
George Takei :verified: 🏳️‍🌈🖖🏽
@georgetakei@universeodon.com
They say every good thing comes to an end, so it’s with a poignant bittersweetness that I have decided to announce my retirement from social media. But you can still keep in touch with me at my substack!

I want to thank all the fans for being so loyal, engaged and hilarious over all these years. It’s truly been an honor of a lifetime to gain and keep such an amazing following. See you over at the stack.
“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
John Thomas8

Media Moves

Post by John Thomas8 »

In sportsball media news, this is the equivalent of Mr, Obama joining Alex Smith's show:

Return to “U.S. Culture and Media”