Spring forward.
To delete this message, click the X at top right.

Black Friday: Completely Annoying

John Thomas8

Black Friday: Completely Annoying

Post by John Thomas8 »

Had to venture out today, but just to the grocery store. Wish I had stuck to Instacart, even the grocery was overrun with stupid shoppers.

As is my in-box: every single company I've purchased something from sent me a BF with their sale information. Even Wayne Root is having a sale.

Ugh.
MN-Skeptic

Re: Black Friday: Completely Annoying

Post by MN-Skeptic »

I like how Google Maps can show you how busy a store is at the moment. By the way, to see that, find the business on Google Maps, click on it, scroll down on the information about that business and you will see the following:
Busy Target.jpg
Busy Target.jpg (10.88 KiB) Viewed 1588 times
I'll go to the grocery store later, but I'm keeping away from the Christmas shopping destinations today. That shopping can wait.
tek

Post by tek »

Did not venture out shopping today, but ms.tek and daughter.tek did. Have not gotten the spending report as of yet.

Sainsmart is taunting me with a black friday email deal on a desktop CNC, but I haven't decided I'm ready to pull the trigger.. I did get some good info, though, from son-in-law.tek who is visiting.. and who is a mechanical design engineer..
noblepa

Post by noblepa »

Once, about ten years ago, my wife wanted a new flat screen tv. Target advertised a big Black Friday sale with a good deal on such tvs.

This was back when you had to actually go to the store on Black Friday.

So, I got up at 4:00am and drove to the store, only to find that there are already several hundred people standing in line to enter the store at 7:00am (or was it 6:00?). I bit the bullet and waited in the rain.

When I finally got in, about a half hour after the store opened, I saw many shoppers with two or three of the tvs in their shopping cart. Of course, there were none left. I don't think I bought anything. That was my first and last foray into a store on Black Friday.

NEVER again. Now, I don't even leave the house on Black Friday.
jez
Verified: ✅ Medicated

Post by jez »

I used to work as a Holiday hire at a (high priced) kitchen store at a mall in Plano for a couple of years. Usually on a Black Friday. I go nowhere near stores between Thanksgiving and New Years if I can help it.
“What is better ? to be born good or to overcome your evil nature through great effort ?”

~Paarthurnax
Foggy
Dick Tater
Verified: as seen on qvc zombie apocalypse

Post by Foggy »

I spent a day - I kid you not - as a pet store Santa Claus. For a charity, a good friend of ours worked there. Fun day. :biggrin:
Out from under. :thumbsup:
Dr. Ken

Post by Dr. Ken »

My brother was bothering me to go out to the store today so we ventured to target. Luckily it wasn't that bad and there weren't too many people there
ImageImagePhilly Boondoggle
Lani

Post by Lani »

I have to go to the mall to pick up some packages. Not happy about that!
Image You can't wait until life isn't hard anymore before you decide to be happy.
northland10
Verified: ✅ I'm me.

Post by northland10 »

I avoid going to retail places and even grocery stores on Black Friday. I just don't usually even go out though today, I had a funeral to play for so I did that and then stayed and practiced for a while.

I avoid the mall area from end of November until end of December.
Edit: Should anyone wonde why this weekend, it was because it had been delayed do to COVID restrictions (she pases on November 2020) and the family wanted to find a time family members could attend. I did find out today it was a COVID death but she was in a nursing home and 97 along with no vax yet.
101010 :towel:
poplove
Verified: ✅💚💙💜☮️💐🌈⚽️✅

Post by poplove »

:lol: :lol:
Attachments
D76B6225-A3D1-4D46-8DFB-DE06CDE03CF7.jpeg
D76B6225-A3D1-4D46-8DFB-DE06CDE03CF7.jpeg (81.52 KiB) Viewed 1497 times
3F375A51-2470-463A-8FE3-616D6EF23938.jpeg
3F375A51-2470-463A-8FE3-616D6EF23938.jpeg (153.69 KiB) Viewed 1497 times
tek

Post by tek »

Today begin the "Last chance for Black Friday deals!" emails.
John Thomas8

Post by John Thomas8 »

Yes, they have. I've gotten 40 since midnight.
Shizzle Popped
Verified:

Post by Shizzle Popped »

I've started getting the Early Cyber Monday emails.

While all the shoppers were fighting over off off brand TVs and Harbor Freight quality tools at Walmart I drove home from my Dad's house. I had very light traffic on a highway that's normally busy all the time. It made for a fairly pleasant drive home.
"Let us tenderly and kindly cherish, therefore, the means of knowledge. Let us dare to read, think, speak, and write."
John Adams
bill_g
Verified: ✅ Checked Republic ✓ ᵛᵉʳᶦᶠᶦᵉᵈ

Post by bill_g »

MN-Skeptic wrote: Fri Nov 26, 2021 3:58 pm I like how Google Maps can show you how busy a store is at the moment. By the way, to see that, find the business on Google Maps, click on it, scroll down on the information about that business and you will see the following:

Busy Target.jpg

I'll go to the grocery store later, but I'm keeping away from the Christmas shopping destinations today. That shopping can wait.
Thanks. I had no idea they could do that, but it makes sense. This is a good use of data aggregation just like their real time traffic maps.
Uninformed

Post by Uninformed »

poplove wrote: Fri Nov 26, 2021 8:15 pm:lol: :lol:
Off topic. You trend-setter.

“Recorder set to be eclipsed by soaring popularity of ukulele in school music classes”:
https://inews.co.uk/news/recorder-popul ... es-1322332

“A survey of music teachers teaching whole class ensembles found that 15 per cent used the ukelele in 2020 – a fifteen-fold increase from the 1 per cent recorded in 2014”
If you can't lie to yourself, who can you lie to?
poplove

Post by poplove »

Uninformed wrote: Sun Nov 28, 2021 8:18 pm
poplove wrote: Fri Nov 26, 2021 8:15 pm:lol: :lol:
Off topic. You trend-setter.

“Recorder set to be eclipsed by soaring popularity of ukulele in school music classes”:
https://inews.co.uk/news/recorder-popul ... es-1322332

“A survey of music teachers teaching whole class ensembles found that 15 per cent used the ukelele in 2020 – a fifteen-fold increase from the 1 per cent recorded in 2014”
Off Topic
Oh, yeah! :thumbsup: There are many programs to get ukuleles into schools. Kala has a program that selects interested elementary school teachers and they give everyone in the class a beginner ukulele, which are Makala dolphins or sharks. (I have bought dolphins for my nieces and grandkids in their favorite colors.) I like ukes better because you can play and sing at the same time. Much more fun than blowing a fancy whistle. But learning to play any instrument is good, no matter what age. BTW, I will be an assistant ukulele instructor in February for a beginner class of retirees through our local university, UNLV. :dance:
Lani

Post by Lani »

Off Topic
If you don't learn to play ukulele as a child here, all the senior centers provide classes. No way to escape it....
Image You can't wait until life isn't hard anymore before you decide to be happy.
Suranis

Post by Suranis »

Off Topic
Hic sunt dracones
poplove

Post by poplove »

Suranis wrote: Mon Nov 29, 2021 3:20 am
Off Topic
(UOGB video)
Off Topic
Thanks, Suranis! That video is from 2000. Unfortunately, Kitty Lux, the short haired woman on the right, passed away several years ago. I have attended to two of their concerts and one workshop. We all stayed at the same motel in Palm Desert Calif in 2015. Ate breakfast with some of them. Super nice folks. They have added a few more members in recent years and George doesn't tour much anymore.

Return to “Economy”