Happy Thanksgiving!! 🦃

Luke
Location: @orly_licious With Pete Buttigieg and the other "open and defiant homosexuals" --Bryan Fischer AFA

Happy Thanksgiving!! 🦃

Post by Luke »

Happy Thanksgiving!! 🦃 :dog:

This has been a rough year for many of us, but wanted to thank everybody here for making it brighter and a hell of a lot funnier! I'm thankful for you. Cases of Turkey Pup-Peroni for all the pups!

Here's an opinion column by Dana Milbank in WaPo that resonated, it's so true and highlights all the positive news that has happened in 2021. Still confident that Americans are going to keep Democrats in the House and Senate next year; look at these accomplishments by Democrats vs. the bankrupt GOP's cheering for failure and disaster. Understand there are bumps, but this Thanksgiving wanted to share a positive, optimistic message. :bighug:

Opinion: Be thankful that sanity has returned to America — for now
Yesterday at 5:15 p.m. EST

Did you see what President Biden tweeted?

(Probably not, because they were earnest missives about booster shots and preschool access.)

Did you hear about the latest chaos at the White House?

(Doubtful, because turnover is low.)

Can you believe he insulted the chancellor of Germany and shoved the prime minister of Montenegro?

(No, because we all know Biden never has and never would.)

In this season of thanksgiving, let us be grateful that some measure of calm and sanity has returned to the White House. The United States, at least for now, has a stable, functioning government. The president is not making everything about himself, nor creating chaos for its own sake.

The stock market is higher than it ever was under President Donald Trump; the S&P 500 has hit more than 50 record highs so far in 2021.

Fully 5.6 million new jobs have been created in Biden’s first nine months, a record pace for a new president, and unemployment is down to 4.6 percent from an estimated 10 percent.

Wages for American workers have increased this year at the fastest rate in more than two decades. Economic growth for 2021 is on course to hit a healthy 5 percent.

Life is returning to normal after the pandemic, as the country finally overcomes a delay worsened by right-wing resistance to vaccination and prevention.

Biden has managed to secure broadband Internet and better roads, bridges, electric power and drinking water for all Americans. Despite fierce Republican opposition, he is within striking distance of securing better child-care assistance, free prekindergarten and lower drug prices, as well as requiring the ultra-rich to pay more in taxes.

Just as important is what isn’t happening. By this time in Trump’s first year, he had: praised the “very fine people” marching among violent neo-Nazis in Charlottesville; fired the FBI director for investigating his national security adviser; replaced his national security adviser, chief of staff, press secretary, communications director, chief strategist, secretary of homeland security and secretary of health and human services; ripped up treaties and threatened to pull out of NATO; threatened nuclear war on Twitter; attempted to impose what aides called a “Muslim ban” and disparaged a “so-called judge” who objected; belittled U.S. intelligence and shared sensitive Israeli intelligence with Russia; sabotaged Obamacare; falsely claimed his predecessor had tapped his phone lines; embraced Stalin’s phrase “enemy of the people” to describe the free press; exposed the “dreamers” to deportation; stood by a Senate candidate accused of sexually assaulting a minor; tossed paper towels (but not the needed aid) at hurricane-ravaged Puerto Rico; continued nonsense claims about a “deep state”; insulted hundreds of people in often vulgar and misspelled tweets; made more than 1,600 false or suspect statements; and, yes, shoved the prime minister of Montenegro before a photo op and insulted German Chancellor Angela Merkel.

Of course, those misled by the Fox News/GOP dezinformatsiya campaign have a different view of Biden’s record. Crisis on the border! (Border crossings have surged to record levels, as one would expect in a booming economy, but so have border arrests.) Crime! (Homicides continue to rise, but at a slower pace than in Trump’s final year, and they remain well below 1990s levels.) Inflation! (As the Financial Times reported this week, it’s a “global trend” that is expected to ease next year and is “nowhere near the levels reached in the 1970s and 1980s.”)

After excoriating the Biden administration for leaving behind Afghan allies, Republicans are now fomenting opposition to resettling the refugees who did escape. After Republicans complained for years about a “jobless recovery” under President Barack Obama, House Republican leader Kevin McCarthy literally complained that there are now too many “help wanted” signs.

Unfortunately, this asymmetric warfare plays to Biden’s disadvantage. He’s going about the dull, plodding business of governing. The other side is fabricating crises and sabotaging progress. Biden’s popular support inevitably takes a hit.

On Monday, for example, Biden renominated Republican Jerome Powell — a Trump appointee — for a second term as chair of the Federal Reserve. He did this to promote stability, even though Powell may not be as accommodating with monetary policy as Democrats would like before next year’s midterm elections.

But as Biden puts the national interest over partisan considerations, his Republican counterparts are doing the opposite. Sen. Rick Scott of Florida, who is overseeing Senate Republicans’ 2022 campaign, is cheering for economic disaster. “You can see what’s going to happen next. We’re going to continue to have inflation, and then interest rates will go up,” he told the Wall Street Journal. “This is a gold mine for us.”

Economic pain for millions is a “gold mine” for Republicans? I’m thankful that, for the moment, people like this are not running the country.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions ... nksgiving/

Lt Root Beer of the Mighty 699th. Fogbow 💙s titular Mama June in Fogbow's Favourite Show™ Mama June: From Not To Hot! Fogbow's Theme Song™ Edith Massey's "I Got The Evidence!" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C5jDHZd0JAg
bill_g
Verified: ✅ Checked Republic ✓ ᵛᵉʳᶦᶠᶦᵉᵈ

Re: Happy Thanksgiving!! 🦃

Post by bill_g »

I have just the dessert for TFG. Enjoy!

Estiveo
Verified:

Post by Estiveo »

Estiveoshot_20211124_073320.jpg
Image Image Image Image
Kendra

Post by Kendra »

That's a big bird!

Happy Thanksgiving all.
MN-Skeptic

Post by MN-Skeptic »

It's a classic -

zekeb
Occupation: Stable genius. One who tosses horseshit with a pitchfork and never misses the spreader.
Verified: ✅Of course

Post by zekeb »

That one was a classic, for sure.
Largo al factotum.
jez
Verified: ✅ Medicated

Post by jez »

Happy Thanksgiving everyone!

It will be a very quiet eve here at Casa de la Jez. Roomie is visiting her parental units and sibling, so it's just me, the dog, and the cats. Nice and quiet. Might have a turkey sammich.
“What is better ? to be born good or to overcome your evil nature through great effort ?”

~Paarthurnax
Luke
Location: @orly_licious With Pete Buttigieg and the other "open and defiant homosexuals" --Bryan Fischer AFA

Post by Luke »

Happy Thanksgiving, Jez! Enjoy.

SNL has been doing some funny work this season. Here's a Target Thanksgiving ad -- the opposite of the quiet TDay :lol:

Lt Root Beer of the Mighty 699th. Fogbow 💙s titular Mama June in Fogbow's Favourite Show™ Mama June: From Not To Hot! Fogbow's Theme Song™ Edith Massey's "I Got The Evidence!" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C5jDHZd0JAg
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

Happy Thanksgiving!

So far today our daughter made onion and mushroom gravy, Mrs. V is making mashed turnips and soon I will make oyster stuffing. :biggrin:
“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
bill_g

Post by bill_g »

Food prepped and packed in crockware for reheating tomorrow. The bird yielded nearly a gallon of great stock. So, we will have gravy aplenty.
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

Happy Thanksgiving, One and All!

Have been busy for days preparing. SIL is bringing some vegan food for his family, but I make as much vegan friendly as I can. Not the turkey, of course, but I have a field roast for them. I made mac and cheese for the granddaughter, and will bake it tomorrow. I'll probably be making corn tacos for the grandson. Aren't holidays fun? :lol:

Now onto the :hoover:
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
jemcanada2

Post by jemcanada2 »

But but, Thanksgiving was last month! :batting: :batting:

Happy Thanksgiving to my Fogbow fambly!
MsDaisy
Verified:

Post by MsDaisy »

Happy Turkey day! I’m 64, which means I get Medicare next May! (YAY) And I just realized that this would be the first Thanksgiving in all my years that I will be all alone for the Holiday. We were supposed to go to the cousin’s house in Philly for the holiday, but my son and his wife both got covid. I couldn’t leave here with them both sick. If something terrible happened and I wasn’t here I’d never forgive myself. They’re isolated with the grandkids who are not sick at all thankfully, and I sent MrD on to the cousins house with a lattice top apple pie and without me. So here I sit all alone. I don’t actually care as much about the holiday as I do about my son and DIL being okay, but this is a first! Luckily we have face time and I will be face timed in at the dinner table tomorrow :thumbsup:

Happy Turkey day y'all :oldlady:
Lani

Post by Lani »

My plan for Thanksgiving was to turn off the alarm clock & sleep in as long as I want. :daydreaming:

I didn't plan to have a fancy meal, but now I'll be eating dinner (via Zoom) with son, his partner and a friend (a Honolulu real estate agent & political ally of son). Fortunately, I bought a Costco baked chicken this week - close enough to turkey. I'll make cranberry sauce and steam some asparagus. Mostly we'll be talking about my move next year.

Enjoy your day! :thumbsup: :bighug:
Image You can't wait until life isn't hard anymore before you decide to be happy.
Foggy
Dick Tater
Verified: as seen on qvc zombie apocalypse

Post by Foggy »

I've had some T'giving horror stories, which I won't share, except to say it's sometimes not great. Tomorrow, however, will be nice. Just me and my fambly, I'm cooking the bird and we'll have a variety of sides, we're pretty sure we have everything we need, and we're spending a nice day together as a fambly. It really doesn't get any better than that, for us.
The more I learn about this planet, the more improbable it all seems. :confuzzled:
Phoenix520
Verified:

Post by Phoenix520 »

Both the mr and I have reason to dread Thanksgiving but we don’t. His mom passed ON a Thanksgiving Day and my mom made her DNR plans known on a Thanksgiving.

This will be our first without Ash. He never missed it. He loved to eat, loved to talk food and recipes. 😍 He was gratifying to cook for.

It’s been a rough couple of years for our family. This year is going to be a good one.

Happy Thanksgiving, Fogbow Family :bighug: :bighug: Enjoy!
Lani

Post by Lani »

Well, damn. Biden tried to spoil Thanksgiving! I put in an order with Target for drive in pick up, including a can of cranberry sauce. Almost immediately it was cancelled. So I ordered a can of lumpy cranberry sauce. Several minutes later it was cancelled. But wait - Target had frozen cranberries! Order Accepted!

When I drove in for my groceries, I was told that I wasn't getting any cranberries :crying: So I was a big girl and decided to make gravy instead. That'll show Biden!

On the way home, I decided to pull over to a very old, very local kine grocery store to pick up fresh, meaty dog bones for Ted. And OMG, it had fresh cranberries! It's never sold them before, and only 2 bags were left. I snatched one immediately. Take that, Biden! :boxing:

BTW, the sauce recipe on the bag includes orange juice & a squirt of lime juice. Does anyone else add that to the sauce? Cranberries are tart, and I'm inclined to not add tart juices. Comments? Opinions?
Image You can't wait until life isn't hard anymore before you decide to be happy.
scirreeve

Post by scirreeve »

Last year it was just me and Mrs. Reeve and Mrs. Reeve's Mom. Tomorrow we have all 3 kids over with their families (and Mrs. Reeve's Mama). Most are triple vaxxed except the 9 and 11 yo grandkids were single vaxxed last week and have to wait til next week to get their next shot and the 2yo who can't be vaxxed yet, 2nd kid hasn't had the 3rd shot cuz he got a break through infection even though being double vaxxed so isn't eligible for a 3rd shot yet. Other than that all vaxxed and should be a fun day. We shall see how it goes. 2nd kid who got the break through infection is militant about mask wearing so we will be doing that except while eating. Happy Thanksgiving everyone!
Estiveo
Verified:

Post by Estiveo »

Orange juice & orange zest are a must in cranberry relish, & I prefer just a touch of lemon juice to lime; the lime can make it a little bitter to my taste.
Image Image Image Image
MN-Skeptic

Post by MN-Skeptic »

I give thanks this Thanksgiving for a safe and effective vaccine!

I'll be driving down to my brother's, about an hour south. Besides their four daughters (ages 18-25), my SIL's mother will be there. Just a great group of people. Good food, good company. Last weekend was their annual Lefse Day where SIL, their daughters, and any friends who want to, pitch in and spend the day making lefse. (Step 1: Boil 40 pounds of potatoes. :shock: ) So... fresh lefse for tomorrow!

Have a great Thanksgiving, everyone, and drive safely!
sugar magnolia

Post by sugar magnolia »

Just finished 2 pans of spinach Madeleine. One for my brother and his wife, one for my parents. We're not actually eating with either of them, just picking up plates to bring home. I have my fingers crossed that my energy holds out for a few more hours and I can go myself rather than just send my husband. This is my "lost week" after chemo and I have no idea from one minute to the next if I can even get out of bed, much less get dressed and go some place. My friends have been dropping so much food off this week I've had to freeze half of it, so the to-go plates aren't really necessary. It's more an excuse for us to at least touch base with family today.

I'm thankful my treatment is going as well as it is, and that I have an incredible support system of friends, medical professionals and family behind me, cheering me on and propping me up when needed.
Uninformed

Post by Uninformed »

Best wishes Sugar Magnolia. I hope Thanksgiving is the point at which things start getting better for you. :bighug:

and…

To all you colonial traitors, Happy Thanksgiving to you and your families and loved ones.
If you can't lie to yourself, who can you lie to?
Slim Cognito
Verified:

Post by Slim Cognito »

thanksgiving-memes-to-stuff-your-face-with-in-preparatio_026.jpg
thanksgiving-memes-to-stuff-your-face-with-in-preparatio_026.jpg (170.68 KiB) Viewed 4030 times
My Crested Yorkie, Gilda and her amazing hair.

ImageImageImage x4
tek

Post by tek »

turkey_temp.jpg
turkey_temp.jpg (42.42 KiB) Viewed 4027 times
bill_g

Post by bill_g »

@lani - citrus are flavor modulators. Cranberries can be a bit randy on the tongue. Orange juice and rind can tame that. OTOH, the recipe reflects one person's taste. YMMV.

I managed to find real Ocean Spray Cran-jelly this year. Amazing. Since we make so much jelly and jam each year, if I hadn't found the canned jelly, we would have an alt selection to choose from.

And speaking of cranberries, in the adult beverage department, you can tame an aggressive cabernet sauvignon or shiraz with cranberry juice. My personal favorite is 1/3 cab, 1/3 juice, 1/3 water. I use Ocean Spray Light 50. They sweeten with fruit juices, not sugar. Cuts calories in half - hence the name - and their flavor profiles help round out the wine. So, if you have a red wine that is a bit too dry or tart, besides cooking with it, consider blending it with a red juice. The wine will pull towards the dry side, the water offsets the sweetness, and the juice restores fruitiness.

Return to “General Stuff”