CPAC Conferences

Trying to make sense of a crazy world, with limited success mostly
Tiredretiredlawyer
Verified: ✅🐴🐎🦄🌻5000 posts and counting

CPAC Conferences

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer »

https://www.dailykos.com/stories/2023/2 ... -big-bucks
Sexual misconduct lawsuit doesn't sound like CPAC head Matt Schlapp's only problem

Apparently sexual misconduct isn’t Matt Schlapp’s only liability as the head of the Conservative Political Action Conference. Far-right Republicans closed ranks around Schlapp last fall after a former staffer on Herschel Walker’s Senate campaign accused Schlapp of having "groped" and "fondled" his crotch. But now, complaints are leaking out about Schlapp’s leadership of CPAC, The Washington Post reports.

More than half of CPAC's staff members have left since 2021. A former employee has complained to the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission, saying she was fired in retaliation for her complaints about a coworker’s sexist and racist comments. Meanwhile, Schlapp and his wife Mercedes are raking in hundreds of thousands of dollars a year, a departure from the past when chair of CPAC was a volunteer role. That changed as Schlapp’s lobbying income dropped from its Trump-era highs and he seemingly decided to augment it through CPAC.

Employees also told the Post that Schlapp was relying heavily for social media and communications work on a 25-year-old contractor with little experience who has misrepresented his own background.

Regina Bratton, the former employee who complained to the EEOC and plans to sue, is a Black woman who complained to the Schlapps that one of her subordinates, a white man, had told her he didn’t like “working for or with women” and that CPAC was “not an affirmative action employer.” He was apparently not disciplined, but Bratton alleges she was fired in retaliation for complaining.

Matt Schlapp may have identified with that man, though, since the Post reports that years ago, Schlapp was the subject of an investigation into an alleged anti-gay remark he made while working as a lobbyist at Koch Industries. Schlapp left his job after that investigation, which, two people told the Post, included allegations that he retaliated against people he thought had reported his comment. So offensive remarks and retaliation appear to be kind of his thing.

Schlapp is waging a war against the Walker staffer, who is anonymously suing Schlapp for $9.4 million for battery and defamation. The defamation included Mercedes Schlapp describing her husband’s accuser as a “troubled individual” who had been “fired from multiple jobs,” while a Republican fundraiser has described the accuser as a “scam artist.”

While he waited until after the Georgia runoff to come forward with his story, the staffer told nine people about the groping at the time, including six family members and friends and three officials on the Walker Senate campaign. He also showed reporters a text from himself to Schlapp, saying “I did want to say I was uncomfortable with what happened last night,” to which Schlapp responded not with surprise but a text asking the staffer to call him, three attempted phone calls, and another text reading “If you could see it in your heart to call me at end of day. I would appreciate it.”

Although top Republicans have defended Schlapp from that allegation, for some reason or other, CPAC ticket sales aren’t doing so well, the Post reports. Maybe it’s competition from other Republican events. Maybe CPAC raised its ticket prices too high to be sustainable, forcing it now to offer discounts and giveaways. Or maybe, quietly, Schlapp’s power is receding. Whatever the case, working at CPAC does not currently sound like a good long-term bet for any Republican staffer. Particularly those who don’t want Schlapp to grab their junk and pummel it at length. Because you know if he did that brazenly—and the accuser has enough documentation to be convincing—it’s likely he’s done it many other times.
"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.
Ben-Prime
Verified: ✅MamaSaysI'mBonaFide

CPAC Conferences

Post by Ben-Prime »

Kendra wrote: Wed Mar 01, 2023 9:16 pm
Many call him the “Donald Trump” of South America. Here at #CPAC, we call him a friend. Join
@jairbolsonaro
March 1-4 in Washington DC 🇺🇸🇧🇷
Me: ....

Still Me, after a moment's recovery: CPAC, I don't think that's the compliment you think it is.
But the sunshine aye shall light the sky,
As round and round we run;
And the truth shall ever come uppermost,
And justice shall be done.

- Charles Mackay, "Eternal Justice"
Kendra

CPAC Conferences

Post by Kendra »

:notlistening:
Tiredretiredlawyer
Verified: ✅🐴🐎🦄🌻5000 posts and counting

CPAC Conferences

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer »

My eyes! My eyes! Brain bleach!! STAT!!!!!!
"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.
Kendra

CPAC Conferences

Post by Kendra »

Aaron is tweeting clips for us this morning :bighug:
Phoenix520
Verified:

CPAC Conferences

Post by Phoenix520 »

Wherz MsGraham? We don’t see him much since Herschel Walker almost fatally mortified the US by becoming a Senator.
Kendra

CPAC Conferences

Post by Kendra »

Kendra

CPAC Conferences

Post by Kendra »

While Guilfoyle interviews Sarah Palin in the background, Junior hypes his interview with “All-American Badass” Jim Jordan at CPAC.
Suranis

CPAC Conferences

Post by Suranis »

Wow, He does not look high as a kite, for once.

This was in the replies, so usual cautions about accuracy

Hic sunt dracones
raison de arizona
Verified: ✔️ he/him/his

CPAC Conferences

Post by raison de arizona »

Kari Lake has a prime time CPAC speech tonight. They are expecting her to get a rock star welcome. It will won't be interesting to hear what she has to say complain about.
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
Kendra

CPAC Conferences

Post by Kendra »

Ashli Babbitt’s mother gets a standing ovation at CPAC.
Kendra

CPAC Conferences

Post by Kendra »

my CPAC day 2 thread begins here
Mr brolin
Verified: ✅ as vaguely humanoid

CPAC Conferences

Post by Mr brolin »

Ben-Prime wrote: Thu Mar 02, 2023 12:48 am
Kendra wrote: Wed Mar 01, 2023 9:16 pm
Many call him the “Donald Trump” of South America. Here at #CPAC, we call him a friend. Join
@jairbolsonaro
March 1-4 in Washington DC 🇺🇸🇧🇷
Me: ....

Still Me, after a moment's recovery: CPAC, I don't think that's the compliment you think it is.
Shouldn't this be

Volkonski
Verified:

CPAC Conferences

Post by Volkonski »

Ron Filipkowski 🇺🇦
@ronfilipkowski@bird.makeup
From the big names skipping it to the ghost-town venue, this year’s CPAC is an unmitigated disaster. Turns out MAGA-cult kryptonite is an event organizer who grabs a dude’s junk.
“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
Gregg

CPAC Conferences

Post by Gregg »

It could be that it seems like they have Nazipalooza every other week anymore.
Supreme Commander, Imperial Illuminati Air Force
:dog:

You don't have to consent, but I'm gonna tase you anyway.
pipistrelle

CPAC Conferences

Post by pipistrelle »

Gregg wrote: Fri Mar 03, 2023 5:51 pm It could be that it seems like they have Nazipalooza every other week anymore.
Another one for the lexicon.
Kendra

CPAC Conferences

Post by Kendra »

Steve Bannon’s daughter announces at CPAC that they now have Bannon fan merch for sale.
Kendra

CPAC Conferences

Post by Kendra »

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/politi ... -rcna73311
Nick Fuentes, the antisemitic white nationalist provocateur who dined with former President Donald Trump last year, was "removed" from the premises of the Conservative Political Action Conference in Maryland, the chair of the group that stages the event said Friday.

“We removed Nick Fuentes from his attempt to attend our conference. His hateful racist rhetoric and actions are not consistent with the mission of CPAC," Matt Schlapp said in a statement posted on Instagram.

“We are pleased that our conference welcomes a wide array of conservative perspectives from people of different backgrounds, but we are concerned about the rise in antisemitic rhetoric (or Jew hatred) in our country and around the globe, whether it be in the corridors of power and academia or through the online rantings of bigots like Fuentes,” Schlapp said.

Fuentes responded to the statement in a post on the social media site Telegram, where he appeared to mock Schlapp's legal troubles, saying, "Ah yes we all know CPAC is reserved for sexual gropers."
Kendra

CPAC Conferences

Post by Kendra »

Guilfoyle is now at CPAC selling gold and silver. She says to stop doing business with woke companies that hate you, and to go to ‘KimsMetals’ to invest for your retirement.
AndyinPA
Verified:

CPAC Conferences

Post by AndyinPA »

:vomit:
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
neonzx
Verified: 🤩✅✅✅✅✅🤩

CPAC Conferences

Post by neonzx »

Kendra wrote: Fri Mar 03, 2023 8:44 pm https://twitter.com/RonFilipkowski/stat ... 8234020874
Guilfoyle is now at CPAC selling gold and silver. She says to stop doing business with woke companies that hate you, and to go to ‘KimsMetals’ to invest for your retirement.
It's just an affiliate link to GoldCo. The same company Hannity and other right-wing personalities push and get paid to do so.
Patagoniagirl

CPAC Conferences

Post by Patagoniagirl »

Volkonski wrote: Fri Mar 03, 2023 3:54 pm Ron Filipkowski 🇺🇦
@ronfilipkowski@bird.makeup
From the big names skipping it to the ghost-town venue, this year’s CPAC is an unmitigated disaster. Turns out MAGA-cult kryptonite is an event organizer who grabs a dude’s junk.

Oh, Volky! Bahahahaha!
Dr. Ken

CPAC Conferences

Post by Dr. Ken »

There's always another grift.
ImageImagePhilly Boondoggle
RTH10260
Verified: ✔️ Eurobot

CPAC Conferences

Post by RTH10260 »

Donald Trump Jr. Sinks To Another Sickening New Low At CPAC

Lee Moran
Sat, March 4, 2023 at 9:35 AM GMT+1

Donald Trump Jr. repeated his cruel line of attack on Sen. John Fetterman (D-Pa.) during his speech at the Conservative Political Action Conference in Maryland on Friday.

The eldest son of former President Donald Trump again described Fetterman as a “vegetable,” echoing an ugly comment he made to far-right Rep. Marjorie Taylor Greene (R-Ga.) during a February episode of his podcast.

Following a stroke last year, Fetterman has an auditory processing disorder. He is currently in hospital receiving treatment for clinical depression.

To the CPAC audience, Trump Jr. dismissed accusations that he was being ableist ― then sank even further when he suggested:

“I’d love for John Fetterman to have like good gainful employment. Maybe he could be like a bag guy at like a grocery store or … but like, is it unreasonable for me to expect, as a citizen of the United States of America, to have a United States senator have basic cognitive function?”

Someone in the auditorium shouted: “Look at the president.”

“Well, you make a solid point, sir,” the Trump scion responded. “Why should a United States senator be held to a different standard than the president of the United States himself? So we have to fix all of that. Right?”

https://www.yahoo.com/news/donald-trump ... 00037.html
(original: HuffPost)
jemcanada2

CPAC Conferences

Post by jemcanada2 »

One of the clips of tfg that angers me the most is where he was imitating and mocking the disabled reporter. They got all defensive and denied he was imitating the reporter like he’s so above that. Obviously tfg and his horrible spawn aren’t above mocking the disabled. :mad: :mad:

Return to “Current Politics”