CPAC Conferences

Trying to make sense of a crazy world, with limited success mostly
neonzx
Verified: 🤩✅✅✅✅✅🤩

Re: CPAC Conference 2021

Post by neonzx »

orlylicious wrote: Sun Feb 28, 2021 11:46 pm orlylicious
Yo, bro.. I think I have to stick with Whitney. cause, ya know... yeah.
pipistrelle

Post by pipistrelle »

I hadn’t listened through before so I didn’t hear how off key she was getting. Who is she?

Someone came up with #NoKeyLeftBehind
Luke
Location: @orly_licious With Pete Buttigieg and the other "open and defiant homosexuals" --Bryan Fischer AFA

Post by Luke »

There are at least three keys :lol: Nobody seems to want to identify her :( but told the Schlepps they MUST have her back at CPAC 2022!

:lol:
Bryan Alston 7 hours ago (edited)
I ain't ever heard anybody start off the national anthem with a diminished triad 😂😂 You knew it was gonna be trouble then! That opening triad, and her key all throughout was about as stable as their party is right now...sweet mercy!
Lt Root Beer of the Mighty 699th. Fogbow 💙s titular Mama June in Fogbow's Favourite Show™ Mama June: From Not To Hot! Fogbow's Theme Song™ Edith Massey's "I Got The Evidence!" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C5jDHZd0JAg
neonzx

Post by neonzx »

That is hard to do for anyone because it is off-key as written, even if you do it proper. But she tortured it.
pipistrelle

Post by pipistrelle »

All keys matter

Sung in the key of Q
Luke
Location: @orly_licious With Pete Buttigieg and the other "open and defiant homosexuals" --Bryan Fischer AFA

Post by Luke »

Found her! She's from Florida. National Anthem: Sailor Sabol

Here's her YouTube channel, not much there. https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCP8CG2 ... e7igrHI3wA
She rants about Splash Mountain* and explains Song of the South (although she's never seen it :roll: )

"I've been in politics for a very very long time... I'm 18" (for realz)

Destroying Splash Mountain = Destroying America (a rant)
3,765 views•Jun 26, 2020

Here she is singing WICKED (oy!)

And with that range, how could she not pass up Memory from CATS? She didn't! After this beauty, no wonder they picked her for CPAC.

Comments on the official video:

clara bone clara bone 5 hours ago
My husband just heard this and said, "Is she a deaf person, maybe?"

Jeffrey Rasch Jeffrey Rasch 7 hours ago
Trump voters will go to their graves insisting she was on pitch the whole time.

sankayej 7 hours ago
Holding a note for an overextended period of time will not result in that note magically finding its correct key😬😖

Wally 6 hours ago
This is the worst music performance I’ve heard in my entire 60 years of life, and I’m a trained classical musician. You should be ashamed for supporting this cult of hypocrisy

Andriy Lassowsky 22 hours ago
The key of F# major needs a hug after this...

[Lt. Root Beer via :lol: ] Robert Woodford 6 hours ago
"Oer the land...."
-oh no
"Of the"
-don't do it
"FreEEeeeeEeeEEEeeee..."
-OH MY GOD
"EeeeeeeeeEEEEEeeEeEE"
dead
"EeeeeeeeeeeEEEEEEEEEE"

And our favorite:

Allie Faulkner 11 hours ago
this is what happens when you defund the arts

Splash Mountain — one of Disney’s most popular but problematic rides — will be “completely reimagined,” the company announced on Thursday.

The log flume ride — which is based on the controversial 1946 film “Song of the South” — isn’t going anywhere. Instead, it will be rethemed to star the characters from the 2009 animated film, “The Princess and the Frog,” which features Disney’s first Black princess.

Splash Mountain has been a mainstay at Disney parks since its creation in 1989. The new changes to the ride will be implemented at Disneyland park in California and Magic Kingdom park in Florida.

The move comes amid fans urging Disney to retheme Splash Mountain because of the racial stereotypes from the film it is based upon. “Song of the South” — which is best known for the song “Zip-a-Dee-Doo-Dah” — has long been criticized for its stereotypical and offensive portrayals of African Americans as well as a romanticized view of the antebellum South.
Lt Root Beer of the Mighty 699th. Fogbow 💙s titular Mama June in Fogbow's Favourite Show™ Mama June: From Not To Hot! Fogbow's Theme Song™ Edith Massey's "I Got The Evidence!" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C5jDHZd0JAg
Talks2Eagles2

Post by Talks2Eagles2 »

Perhaps Donny Jr. Has aged so much over 5.5 years is less due to the purported cocaine injesting and more due to 5 years of being ridden hard & put away wet by his purportedly nymphomaniac girlfriend? :? :idea:
raison de arizona
Verified: ✔️ he/him/his

Post by raison de arizona »

This guy counted nine key changes... and follows them all on keyboard. Fun vid.
https://vm.tiktok.com/ZMejsXHK1/
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
Luke

Post by Luke »

:lol: Nine key changes, this disaster has made us laugh more than in a long time. It's soooo CPAC and GOP.

Notice the facial reactions of all the musicians in the clips, they simply can't believe it. It's so wrong. Her parents must be huge donors to CPAC or she'ssleeping with somebody, there's just no way she was picked on merit (if they watched the Wicked and Cats clips, they would have known). This is going to follow Sailor for a lifetime, they've destroyed her.

Jack Coen
I've discovered a fabulous new ear-training exercise: accompany the CPAC girl's rendition of the national anthem with one hand and use the pitch wheel on my keyboard to tune with the other hand.

Eric Morrison
Delaware State House of Representatives and works at Private Sector
I’d heard some pretty awful things about the national anthem performed at CPAC. The entertainer in me is still here, so I thought I’d watch it and make a video of my reaction.
I hope you enjoy my video a lot more than I enjoyed that performance….

"She bottomed out... oh girl" "This is what happens when you can't get with the gays and get Gaga"

Joe Rocco
It's not all that ironic what a train wreck this National Anthem is at CPAC since they're all so tone deaf to begin with. This...is my new jam.

CPAC 2021 National Anthem playthrough, in the keys of G major, F# major, and F major

F# Major! It's killing us.
Daniel Chilton
How we spent our Sunday night: Giving the recent CPAC 2021 national anthem the Rachmaninoff treatment. Arrangement by Rachmaninoff, melody and harmony adjusted for the singer!

Charlie Kramer
I took the CPAC anthem and chopped it up into 93 individual notes. Then I randomly sampled them and played them in groups of up to 5 at a time. I think it sounds pretty good! Like some kind of avant-garde opera. I’ll make something interesting out of this.
If anyone’s interested to fiddle with this I’ll post the samples and code online.

CPAC 2021 National Anthem Harmonized (with transcription to follow along)

Botched National Anthem FIXED - CPAC 2021 "Music Producer Heroically Tunes Botched Anthem" (full orchestra)

This was my reaction when I first heard it (if you saw the Broadway Musicals topic, you know we've been watching glorious, incredible performances today), Chris nails it "no... no no no... no no no...oh my god..." :lol:

Lisa Mandelkorn
Chris DiStefano , my favorite collaborator, trying to follow the CPAC national anthem on the keys while hearing it for the first time.

neonzx

Post by neonzx »

orlylicious wrote: Mon Mar 01, 2021 2:08 am :lol: Nine key changes, this disaster has made us laugh more than in a long time. It's soooo CPAC and GOP.
"...That's what happens when you can't get the gays and Gaga." :lol:

I can't sing but I understand how hard that song is to do.
Luke

Post by Luke »

:lol:

Well Neon, the hard part is the wide range (12 notes, octave and a half). Sailor stumbled in the first 16 measures :lol:

Here are the traps to avoid. She should have sought this out.

Here''s an excellent technical discussion.

And as a bonus, this is another Vox Earworm that is brilliantly explained, it discussed Coltrane's Giant Steps -- including it because it discusses the Circle of Fifths and once you understand it, you'll see why Sailor was so discordant and ridiculous. :P

Roseanne has been dethroned?

Well, Sailor is our takeaway from CPAC and that's fabulous. Did anything else happen there? :lol:
neonzx

Post by neonzx »

orlylicious wrote: Mon Mar 01, 2021 3:08 am :lol:

Well Neon, the hard part is the wide range (12 notes, octave and a half). Sailor stumbled in the first 16 measures :lol: :
This was all good intel/info -- until you tossed in Roseanne . :wagfinger:
Mr brolin
Verified: ✅ as vaguely humanoid

Post by Mr brolin »

I have never understood how "The Star Bangled Banner" got to be the national anthem......

In general, an anthem is

Easy to sing by even the most tone deaf
Easy to memorize
Should be easy to whistle
Is easily recognizable especially when butchered
Fairly simple in word construction
Fairly simple in melodic construction
Small groups of scales that flow up an/or down not jarring sudden steps

Even anthems without words (such as the Bahrain national anthem) should just reasonably flow

TSSB fails at most of these IMHO
Uninformed

Post by Uninformed »

Reminded me of when my voice (partially) broke and I got kicked out of the choir.
If you can't lie to yourself, who can you lie to?
sugar magnolia

Post by sugar magnolia »

Songs in the Q of Life.
p0rtia

Post by p0rtia »

pipistrelle wrote: Mon Mar 01, 2021 12:02 am All keys matter

Sung in the key of Q
:clap:

Luke

Post by Luke »

👍

Since we've gone this far, here are a few more resources. Unclear whether Sailor digested these before her bravura performance.

Remember we talked about Coltrane's Giant Steps -- this video examines Coltrane Fractals. Hang on to your seat for this. The reason for including it is to illustrate why and how our ears hear what they do. When Sailor changes keys every few notes, she's doing what Coltrane did -- but in a completely wrong way. :lol: That's why musicians are fascinated with Sailor; with Kevon's arrangement above, if she had been trying for this it might have been interesting.

Adam Neely
1.25M subscribers
What do 200k notes in 6 seconds sound like? No, the result isn’t Black Midi - it’s way cooler than that. if you use the right math, you can create recursive melodies that rely upon the fact that your ears are incredible sophisticated judges of frequency ratios.
1,003,184 views•Jul 3, 2017

There's a stanza of racist bigotry, Frances Scott Key was a slave owner and includes this:
And where is that band who so vauntingly swore,
That the havoc of war and the battle’s confusion
A home and a Country should leave us no more?
Their blood has wash’d out their foul footstep’s pollution.
No refuge could save the hireling and slave
From the terror of flight or the gloom of the grave,
And the star-spangled banner in triumph doth wave
O’er the land of the free and the home of the brave.
The Root breaks it down:

Here's how it happened:

The Story of the US National Anthem (and How it Became Part of the National Pastime)

Here's the original song, The Anacreontic Song—18c. Source Tune for U.S. National Anthem. British source tune from 1779.

Top 10 Star Spangled Banner FAILS -- If she's lucky, Sailor will replace one of these and be famous.

(Might spin this into a topic, it's an interesting reference topic.)
Suranis

Post by Suranis »

We have to include this guy... whoever he is.

Hic sunt dracones
Azastan
Verified:

Post by Azastan »

Now that I am done reading about TSSB, I want to know if this person knows Bristol Palin?
bill_g
Verified: ✅ Checked Republic ✓ ᵛᵉʳᶦᶠᶦᵉᵈ

Post by bill_g »

So, how tall is that stupid golden idol statue of Bart Simpson Trump? It looks like it is only three feet tall.
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

One of America's most famous musician immigrants, Igor Stravinsky, rewrote the anthem to make it easier to sing.

After the first performance of this by the Boston Symphony conducted by Stravinsky himself in 1944 the police showed up to prevent a second performance. Really.

Stravinsky's version is far superior to the CPAC 2021 version. Perhaps the Orlando police should look into this. ;)
“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
raison de arizona
Verified: ✔️ he/him/his

Post by raison de arizona »

bill_g wrote: Mon Mar 01, 2021 8:56 am So, how tall is that stupid golden idol statue of Bart Simpson Trump? It looks like it is only three feet tall.
Dunno, but reports say somewhere over six feet.
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
Kendra

Post by Kendra »

Still waking up, but do I see someone's name spelled wrong??
raicha

Post by raicha »

I'm not digging the piling on Sailor. She's young, maybe 20, and it's apparent that she was encouraged to pursue the musical theatre thing. I've watched her YouTube covers. No, those aren't perfect, but she does have talent that could be shaped if she decided to continue with singing and acting.

She was poorly served by CPAC in allowing her to do the anthem without accompaniment. It's tough enough when you are young, have no real professional experience, and are shot through with nerves. The least they could have done for her was run a backing track. Not saying she would have nailed it, but it would have been hella better.

The blowback on this feels very bullying to me. YMMV.
neonzx

Post by neonzx »

raicha wrote: Mon Mar 01, 2021 1:27 pm She was poorly served by CPAC in allowing her to do the anthem without accompaniment. It's tough enough when you are young, have no real professional experience, and are shot through with nerves. The least they could have done for her was run a backing track. Not saying she would have nailed it, but it would have been hella better.

The blowback on this feels very bullying to me. YMMV.
As I said upthread, this is a hard song. I'm not making fun of her -- I'm laughing at the CPAC organizers for obviously not auditioning her. (or maybe she just volunteered and it wasn't a paid gig?)
I agree, a backing musical accompaniment would have helped her.

Return to “Current Politics”