Spring forward.
To delete this message, click the X at top right.

Arizona behaving badly and otherwise

raison de arizona
Verified: ✔️ he/him/his

Post by raison de arizona »

How’s that go? If you have one MAGA Republican and nine moderate Republicans sitting at a table, you’ve got ten Illinois Nazis. Something like that.
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
Slim Cognito
Verified:

Post by Slim Cognito »

change approved.jpg
change approved.jpg (172.38 KiB) Viewed 893 times
Pup Dennis in training to be a guide dog & given to a deserving vet. Thx! ImageImageImage x4
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

https://www.washingtonpost.com/health/2 ... v-funding/
Tennessee has rejected millions of dollars from the federal government for HIV/AIDS prevention — a move that public health experts worry will politicize the response to the disease and has the potential to destabilize decades of progress in getting the epidemic under control.

The controversy, which critics say was triggered by questions about the inclusion of transgender and abortion rights groups, is the latest example of Republican pushback against federal leadership and oversight that has resulted in clashes in areas that once had bipartisan support.

“This is something that is dangerous,” said Greg Millett, director of public policy for Amfar, a leading AIDS nonprofit, and a former senior policy adviser in the White House Office of National AIDS Policy until 2014. “This is part of a larger backlash against public health we’ve been seeing in our country the past few years.”
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
raison de arizona

Just what we need, polio, measles, mumps…
RLC of Arizona @RLCAZ wrote: The RLCAZ Supports HB2316

Sponsored by @RJ4arizona, HB2316 would nullify the federal government’s authority to mandate the COVID-19 vaccine in AZ. The bill also repeals the government’s ability to mandate the COVID-19 vaccine in government run healthcare institutions. 🧵 1/2
AZ Representative Rachel Jones @RJ4arizona wrote: I'm actually amending it to include ALL vaccines!
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

Take these idiots to an old cemetery. Show them all the babies and young children in them. They probably still wouldn't have a clue.
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

AndyinPA wrote: Sat Jan 28, 2023 11:49 am Take these idiots to an old cemetery. Show them all the babies and young children in them. They probably still wouldn't have a clue.
Also the young mothers buried with their new born children. I recall noting that in older cemeteries in New England where I grew up.
“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
RTH10260
Verified: ✔️ Eurobot

Post by RTH10260 »

Republican secretary of state’s first act in office: withdrawing Alabama from voter-registration organization

Published: Jan. 28, 2023 at 9:30 a.m. ET
By Associated PressFollow

The nonprofit Electronic Registration Information Center links 32 states and the District of Columbia. It has of late been a target of right-wing ire and conspiracy theories.

MONTGOMERY, Ala. (AP) — Alabama’s new secretary of state has announced the state’s withdrawal from a 32-state voter-registration partnership, a data-sharing effort that was designed to maintain accurate voter rolls but has sometimes become the target of right-wing ire and conspiracy theories.

A day after being sworn in on Jan. 17, Secretary of State Wes Allen sent a letter to the Electronic Registration Information Center, a nonprofit linking 32 states and the District of Columbia, saying the state will no longer participate in the sharing of voter registration data.

“I made a promise to the people of Alabama that ending our state’s relationship with the ERIC organization would be my first official act as Secretary of State,” Allen said in a statement. The letter said that Alabama would immediately cease transmitting data.

The Republican, who had pledged during his campaign to withdraw from ERIC, cited privacy concerns for the decision.

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/repub ... 1674857591
Phoenix520
Verified:

Post by Phoenix520 »

Maybe states should restrict the rights of unvaccinated folks to travel across their state lines. I can just see the headlines:
Arizona Measles carriers stopped just in time at the state line”

I remember when a volleyball tournament held in a white Oceanside suburb refused to let the teams from Arizona come after there was a Hanta virus outbreak in the Four Corners area.
humblescribe
Verified:

Post by humblescribe »

Phoenix520 wrote: Sat Jan 28, 2023 2:14 pm Maybe states should restrict the rights of unvaccinated folks to travel across their state lines. I can just see the headlines:
Arizona Measles carriers stopped just in time at the state line”

I remember when a volleyball tournament held in a white Oceanside suburb refused to let the teams from Arizona come after there was a Hanta virus outbreak in the Four Corners area.
We do have all those agricultural inspection stations near the state lines with OR, NV, and AZ. We could just require proof of vaccination upon entry into California and have the ag folks turn the unvaccinated away.

(I do know of and have used many roads and highways that are so remote that there are no ag inspection stations. :mrgreen: )
"Some cause happiness wherever they go; others whenever they go." O. Wilde
bob

Post by bob »

Image ImageImage
northland10
Verified: ✅ I'm me.

Post by northland10 »

Volkonski wrote: Sat Jan 28, 2023 12:01 pm
AndyinPA wrote: Sat Jan 28, 2023 11:49 am Take these idiots to an old cemetery. Show them all the babies and young children in them. They probably still wouldn't have a clue.
Also the young mothers buried with their new born children. I recall noting that in older cemeteries in New England where I grew up.
Besides the obvious "stick it to the leftists," which drives their current beliefs, there is another thing behind the right on this. Many on the right feel that disease and death is weakness and/or punishment. If you get a disease, it is because you are weak or deserve it or both.

Survival of the fittest, but vaccines make weak and unfit live longer. They do not believe the state should involve itself in helping those "beat the odds." Pull yourself up by your own bootstraps, even if you don't have boots.

The right-wing "Christians" oddly follow this belief. In their very superficial reading of scripture, they think that if you cannot create the requisite magic healing your faith is weak and you are in sin, so it is your fault.
101010 :towel:
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

northland10 wrote: Sat Jan 28, 2023 3:23 pm
Besides the obvious "stick it to the leftists," which drives their current beliefs, there is another thing behind the right on this. Many on the right feel that disease and death is weakness and/or punishment. If you get a disease, it is because you are weak or deserve it or both.

Survival of the fittest, but vaccines make weak and unfit live longer. They do not believe the state should involve itself in helping those "beat the odds." Pull yourself up by your own bootstraps, even if you don't have boots.

The right-wing "Christians" oddly follow this belief. In their very superficial reading of scripture, they think that if you cannot create the requisite magic healing your faith is weak and you are in sin, so it is your fault.
Calvinists?
sad-cafe

Post by sad-cafe »

tey do nor give a rip tet got theirs
northland10
Verified: ✅ I'm me.

Post by northland10 »

AndyinPA wrote: Sat Jan 28, 2023 3:26 pm
northland10 wrote: Sat Jan 28, 2023 3:23 pm

Calvinists?
Yeah, I would generally agree there is much of that in early Calvinism, but many Calivist-derived denominations have recovered (Presbyterians, UCC, some Dutch Reformed, and the more Calvinist theological end of the Episcopal Church). Even the ones with a more conservative bent won't go so far as to reject vaccines. The rejections are likely from those newer evangelical offshoots that think Christian Reformed Church (CRC), Presbyterian Church in America (PCA), Southern Baptist Convention (SBC), and the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod (WELS) have all gone woke.

In fairness, CRC, while conservative, is far closer to the middle than the WELS, but I was looking for one of the larger conservative Reformed traditions. Interestingly enough, while many of these were offshoots who separated from other traditions that were not conservative enough, they spawned others who left them because they were not conservative enough. Communion based on a litmus test always ends up driving further divides. The GOP appears to be in the middle of this now.
101010 :towel:
raison de arizona

The anti-living bill.
Gregg

Post by Gregg »

I would dare say you could stretch that definition to include trailer parks.
Supreme Commander, Imperial Illuminati Air Force
:dog:

You don't have to consent, but I'm gonna tase you anyway.
keith
Occupation: Retired Computer Systems Analyst Project Manager Super Coder
Verified: ✅lunatic

Post by keith »

Gregg wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 2:01 am I would dare say you could stretch that definition to include trailer parks.
Hell, you could stretch it to mean a bricks and mortar housing development.
Has everybody heard about the bird?
humblescribe
Verified:

Post by humblescribe »

I've been known on occasion to pull over when I am tired and take a 2-3 hour snooze in my car. Then perhaps grabbing a sandwich or something else to eat that is in the ice chest. Might even brush my teeth discreetly. Guess I won't be doing that in Arizona any more.
"Some cause happiness wherever they go; others whenever they go." O. Wilde
raison de arizona

Proposed bill would penalize Flagstaff for high minimum wage

State lawmakers are moving to penalize cities financially that have a minimum wage higher than the rest of the state.

Senate Bill 1108 was proposed by Republican Sen. Wendy Rogers of Flagstaff. It would allow employers in any city with a wage that’s more than the state minimum to claim a 10% credit for the difference. The state would also deduct that claim from the city’s share of state revenue.

The bill targets cities like Flagstaff and Tucson that have higher voter-approved minimum wages.

Opponents say the bill undermines the will of voters, who voted to approve the minimum wage hike.

The measure passed the Senate Finance Committee on a party-line vote and awaits full chamber action.
https://www.knau.org/knau-and-arizona-n ... nimum-wage
raison de arizona

https://twitter.com/AbrahamHamadeh/stat ... 6998653952
Abe Hamadeh @AbrahamHamadeh wrote: Maricopa County is the biggest threat to democracy.
:roll:
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

:mad:

Cruelty and punishment. That's all the republican party has.
raison de arizona

Another day, another crazy bill.
Reva @GIRLEMPOWER wrote: GOP legislators in Arizona are asking for another sound strike just as the theater/arts industry begins to recover from COVID. They seek to make “singing and dancing while wearing makeup” a punishable offense. No more school plays. No more Rocky Horror Picture Show or karaoke…
Alejandra Caraballo @Esqueer_ wrote: A new intro'd bill in Arizona would criminalize drag in presence of a minor as a felony punishable by up to 15 years in prison and a requirement to register as a sex offender. The bill defines drag as just singing and dancing while wearing make-up.

https://legiscan.com/AZ/text/SB1698/2023
As usual these bigots aim to target one community but legal ramifications are ultimately far reaching. They feign ignorance as these cases work their way through the courts and the cost to Arizona remains high. If performers start avoiding our state they are directly to blame.
Jim

Post by Jim »

It's pathetic that these fools would lock up one of the greatest comedians in our country's history. Why do they hate Milton Berle so much? Seeing him in drag when I was a child had absolutely no affect on me and made him millions.
raison de arizona

Lock. Him. Up.
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

And not just Milton Berle. Red Skelton, Curly Howard, Jack Benny, Alistair Sim, Ray Bolger, Tom Hanks, Robin Williams, Patrick Swayze and many others performed dressed as women.
“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace

Return to “Earthlings Behaving”