Spring forward.
To delete this message, click the X at top right.

Arizona behaving badly and otherwise

Slim Cognito
Verified:

Post by Slim Cognito »

I grew up watching Benny Hill and Monty Python.
Pup Dennis in training to be a guide dog & given to a deserving vet. Thx! ImageImageImage x4
RTH10260
Verified: ✔️ Eurobot

Post by RTH10260 »

“singing and dancing while wearing makeup”

The former guy will need to skip the massive rallies in AZ or appear without orange makeup

AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

:splat:
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
Frater I*I
Verified: ✅Verified Devilish Hyena

Post by Frater I*I »

AndyinPA wrote: Thu Feb 02, 2023 12:26 pm :mad:

Cruelty and punishment. That's all the republican party has.
Ever had in my opinion...
"He sewed his eyes shut because he is afraid to see, He tries to tell me what I put inside of me
He's got the answers to ease my curiosity, He dreamed a god up and called it Christianity"

Trent Reznor
raison de arizona
Verified: ✔️ he/him/his

Post by raison de arizona »

Volkonski wrote: Thu Feb 02, 2023 4:35 pm And not just Milton Berle. Red Skelton, Curly Howard, Jack Benny, Alistair Sim, Ray Bolger, Tom Hanks, Robin Williams, Patrick Swayze and many others performed dressed as women.
Julia Andrews. Barbra Streisand. Gwyneth Paltrow. Flipping it around, still would be illegal.
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
bill_g
Verified: ✅ Checked Republic ✓ ᵛᵉʳᶦᶠᶦᵉᵈ

Post by bill_g »

raison de arizona wrote: Thu Feb 02, 2023 2:35 pm Another day, another crazy bill.
https: //twitter.com/GIRLEMPOWER/status/1621201421583659008
If SB1698 requires dressing in clothing matching your gender assigned at birth, does it make cowgirls in Wranglers illegal? How about Scotsmen in kilts?

neonzx
Verified: 🤩✅✅✅✅✅🤩

Post by neonzx »

Please will one of the late night comedy hosts come out on stage in drag to perform their monologue and explain this bill SB1698 to us. :kiss:

(come on, you just know the writers are thinking on this)
neeneko

Post by neeneko »

bill_g wrote: Fri Feb 03, 2023 10:51 am
raison de arizona wrote: Thu Feb 02, 2023 2:35 pm Another day, another crazy bill.
https: //twitter.com/GIRLEMPOWER/status/1621201421583659008
If SB1698 requires dressing in clothing matching your gender assigned at birth, does it make cowgirls in Wranglers illegal? How about Scotsmen in kilts?

If this becomes law, I hope someone does a test case where a woman is arrested for wearing pants.
northland10
Verified: ✅ I'm me.

Post by northland10 »

Well, seeing that Hobbs is Governor, passing the law may be harder, and I am not sure there is enough real crazy to do an override.
101010 :towel:
Phoenix520
Verified:

Post by Phoenix520 »

This is purely performative. Stupid, too.

I’m long past letting anyone tell me how I may dress.
noblepa

Post by noblepa »

northland10 wrote: Fri Feb 03, 2023 2:19 pm Well, seeing that Hobbs is Governor, passing the law may be harder, and I am not sure there is enough real crazy to do an override.
I don't know the details of the proposed law and IANAL, but I don't see how it survives the first lawsuit arguing that it violates the 1st Amendment.

I predict that, IF (a very big if) it becomes law, the following will happen:

1. Someone will file a lawsuit asking that the law be declared unconstitutional, probably the day after it passes.

2. The judge grants an injunction, preventing the law from going into effect.

3. The trial results in the law being declared unconstitutional

4. The proponents appeal the decision.

5. The appeals court upholds the lower court decision

(at this point, the proponents may lose interest and move on to the next shiny thing)

6. The proponents file a request for certiorari with SCOTUS.

7. SCOTUS declines to hear the case, meaning the law never takes effect.

I further predict that all this will happen in a period of less than six months, which is lightning speed when dealing with an issue that is appealed to SCOTUS.
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

This is one of the stupidest things I've ever heard, and I would have said I'd heard a lot. :eek:
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
bill_g

Post by bill_g »

Phoenix520 wrote: Fri Feb 03, 2023 2:31 pm This is purely performative. Stupid, too.

I’m long past letting anyone tell me how I may dress.
Me, myself, personally think I would rock a prairie dress, but they can keep the damn bonnet.
noblepa

Post by noblepa »

raison de arizona wrote: Thu Feb 02, 2023 5:42 pm
Volkonski wrote: Thu Feb 02, 2023 4:35 pm And not just Milton Berle. Red Skelton, Curly Howard, Jack Benny, Alistair Sim, Ray Bolger, Tom Hanks, Robin Williams, Patrick Swayze and many others performed dressed as women.
Julia Andrews. Barbra Streisand. Gwyneth Paltrow. Flipping it around, still would be illegal.
One of the funniest movies ever made, "Some Like It Hot", had Tony Curtis and Jack Lemmon spending most of the movie dressed as women, to avoid a 1930's mob hit.
Kendra

Post by Kendra »

noblepa wrote: Fri Feb 03, 2023 8:01 pm
One of the funniest movies ever made, "Some Like It Hot", had Tony Curtis and Jack Lemmon spending most of the movie dressed as women, to avoid a 1930's mob hit.
:bighug: :thumbsup:
Kriselda Gray
Verified:

Post by Kriselda Gray »

My high school did The Taming of the Shrew, and we were staging it as a play within a play. I was one of the companions of the nobleman being entertained, and had to wear clothing that in Shakespeare's time would have only been worn by men, have my boobs strapped down with an ace bandage and had makeup on that implied a bit of 5 o'clock shadow. We had a few bits during the play that could be called skits where we talked with the nobleman. Sounds like I could have been in big trouble for that...
northland10

Post by northland10 »

Carol Haney's in trouble

roadscholar

Post by roadscholar »

Kendra wrote: Fri Feb 03, 2023 8:25 pm
noblepa wrote: Fri Feb 03, 2023 8:01 pm

:bighug: :thumbsup:
"We can't get married!"

"Why not?"

"Because... [taking off wig] I'm a man!"

"Nobody's perfect."
The bitterest truth is more wholesome than the sweetest lie.
Kriselda Gray
Verified:

Post by Kriselda Gray »

bill_g wrote: Fri Feb 03, 2023 10:51 am If SB1698 requires dressing in clothing matching your gender assigned at birth, does it make cowgirls in Wranglers illegal? How about Scotsmen in kilts?
As I read it, it wouldn't do that.

Just to be clear, I agree this is a stupid and dangerous bill and I think it goes too far. That said, though, I don't think it's as bad as some are making it out to be.

From what I can see, it requires that a person do several things: dress in clothing AND makeup AND "other physical markers" (whatever that means) that are opposite of their gender at birth AND exaggerate "gender signifiers and roles" AND they have to sing, dance, do a monologue or participate in a skit in order to entertain someone. It takes all of those elements to break the law.

So a cowgirl wearing jeans or a man wearing a skirt or dress with falsies and beauty makeup - as long as neither of them are doing so in an exaggerated manner while doing a performance - should not have any legal trouble.

Yes, that's still too much restriction, but talking like women in pants or men in dresses who are just out walking down the street or what have you are going to be tossed in the clinker doesn't help anything.

It gives gay haters another chance to claim we're getting hysterical because someone's trying to mess with the precious gays and their agenda again, or that we're trying to make trans people seem more like victims. It also gets the rwnjs get all giddy about us being "snowflakes" and them "owning the libs." We don't need to give any of them those openings.

As for kilts, those are men's clothes - I mean, that's who's traditionally worn them, so a guy in a kilt isn't dressing in opposite gender clothing. Oh, there we go - have a drag troupe wear kilts during their performances... Anyway...
Suranis

Post by Suranis »

In addition to Kilts being male apparel, Catholic Priests wear a Soutane or Cassock. Monks of various religions wear Robes of various types. Just because something are not trousers does not mean it's for Women.
Hic sunt dracones
keith
Occupation: Retired Computer Systems Analyst Project Manager Super Coder
Verified: ✅lunatic

Post by keith »

Dustin Hoffman won an Oscar for playing a woman.

Also Australian Barry Humphries AO CBE played his alter ego Dame Edna Everidge for over 40 years. He has two other long time alter egos: the male characters Sir Les Patterson (a boozy Australian cultural attaché: dishevelled, uncouth, lecherous and coarse) and Sandy Stone (an elderly Australian man, either single or married with a daughter who died as a child).

Humphries has been married 4 times and has 4 children.

Edit: I just switched the video below from Parkinson interviewing Dame Edna (with Judy Dench and Sharon Osborne) to Dame Edna interviewing IVANA TRUMP! OMG. Keep watching to see Dame Edna interviewing k.d. lang and Ivana trying to get as far away from them as possible!

Has everybody heard about the bird?
bill_g

Post by bill_g »

northland10

Post by northland10 »

Suranis wrote: Sat Feb 04, 2023 2:19 am In addition to Kilts being male apparel, Catholic Priests wear a Soutane or Cassock. Monks of various religions wear Robes of various types. Just because something are not trousers does not mean it's for Women.
Not just priests but even those troublesome musicians (for the non-liturgical, the cassock is the black robe under the white organist cotta).
Screenshot_20230204_112414.jpg
Screenshot_20230204_112414.jpg (51.36 KiB) Viewed 403 times
Granted, I was groomed. In 7th grade, I was wearing a robe, surplice, AND make-up and was running around and singing on stage until Scarpia, wearing makeup and breeches, walked in and sang angrily at us.
Foggy
Dick Tater
Verified: as seen on qvc zombie apocalypse

Post by Foggy »

OMG you must have needed years of therapy. :eek: :lol:
Out from under. :thumbsup:
Suranis

Post by Suranis »

You don't wanna see pics of what _I_ looked like in that get up.. :cantlook: