Edmund Fitzgerald November 10,1975

W. Kevin Vicklund

Post by W. Kevin Vicklund »

If'n yer in Michigan, you can pretty much listen all day long on the radio if you jump stations. Must be a law or sumthin' that you gotta play Gordon Lightfoot once an hour on every radio station.
John Thomas8

Post by John Thomas8 »

Gordon has literally 70 years of music he's written. Saw him live 3-4 years ago, still has the passion.
northland10
Verified: ✅ I'm me.

Post by northland10 »

W. Kevin Vicklund wrote: Thu Nov 10, 2022 8:15 pm If'n yer in Michigan, you can pretty much listen all day long on the radio if you jump stations. Must be a law or sumthin' that you gotta play Gordon Lightfoot once an hour on every radio station.
Since I no longer live in Michigan, I made up for it by playing the video above once an hour. Well, maybe not quite that much, but still, many times. I even wound it into choir rehearsals by mentioning to them, don't pronounce your R's like that. Most had recently listened to it, and knew what I was talking about and cringed at the r's on the recording (I have taught them well).

I love the song. I grew up with it and it has stuck with me.
101010 :towel:
Chilidog

Post by Chilidog »

Why am I hungry for a Pasty?
northland10

Post by northland10 »

Chilidog wrote: Thu Nov 10, 2022 11:02 pm Why am I hungry for a Pasty?
:lol:
W. Kevin Vicklund

GODDAMMIT CHILIDOG :evilmonkey:

:drool:
W. Kevin Vicklund

My father was a Yooper. Pasties were a regular menu item on weekends I stayed with him.
Foggy
Dick Tater
Verified: as seen on qvc zombie apocalypse

Post by Foggy »

In 2015, on my big adventure Out West, I took my boys to the most authentic looking pasty shop I could find on the Upper Peninsula, and we had a delicious lunch.

Whereas, my only previous experience with pasties was the other kind, that young ladies wear on their areolas. :oopsy:
🎶 We went for a ride,
We got outside,
The sand was hot,
She wanted to dance ... 🎶
realist

Post by realist »

John Thomas8 wrote: Thu Nov 10, 2022 8:53 pm Gordon has literally 70 years of music he's written. Saw him live 3-4 years ago, still has the passion.
The princess and I saw him 5 years ago. Really good show and he still had pretty good pipes.
Image X 4
Image X 32
lunaluz

Post by lunaluz »

Another year rolls on, may the crew rest in peace and we always remember them. May the families have comfort and peace. Gordon Lightfoot immortalized them and may he rest in peace.
pipistrelle

Post by pipistrelle »

Watch until end.

chancery
Verified:

Post by chancery »

Over four decades ago I saw a good performance of Benjamin Britten' s Noye's Fludde at a church in New York City. I was unprepared for the climactic point, when, with the whole (large) cast on "stage," swaying to and fro as the ark was tossed by the storm, suddenly everyone, including the audience, sang "Eternal Father Strong To Save." Not a dry eye in the house, and the emotional impact is still a visceral memory.
Suranis

Post by Suranis »

A pretty good video on Lake Superiour, and the Fitz (as they call it in the Video).

Hic sunt dracones
Slim Cognito
Verified:

Post by Slim Cognito »

pipistrelle wrote: Fri Nov 10, 2023 10:43 am Watch until end.

That song gets me every time. Many, many many years ago I was married to a fellow in a band. Whenever a guitar player broke a string, the lead singer would sing The Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald acapella to fill time. There was never a dry eye in the house.
My Crested Yorkie, Gilda and her amazing hair.

ImageImageImage x4
Reality Check
Verified: ✅ Curmudgeon

Post by Reality Check »

My in laws lived in Elk Rapids near Traverse City. There was a little hole in the wall place that made them for take out, with gravy of course. Yum.
pipistrelle

Post by pipistrelle »

Gordon makes an appearance.

qbawl

Post by qbawl »

Reality Check wrote: Fri Nov 10, 2023 4:12 pm
My in laws lived in Elk Rapids near Traverse City. There was a little hole in the wall place that made them for take out, with gravy of course. Yum.
Interesting! My in laws also lived near Elk Rapids in a little area called Inwood Harbor. We would often have breakfast at a little place called 'Harbor Cafe'.
Reality Check
Verified: ✅ Curmudgeon

Post by Reality Check »

qbawl wrote: Fri Nov 10, 2023 6:22 pm :snippity: Interesting! My in laws also lived near Elk Rapids in a little area called Inwood Harbor. We would often have breakfast at a little place called 'Harbor Cafe'.
I don't recall Inwood Harbor but I digress. Actually Mrs. RC's grandparents bought 60 acres on Elk Lake back in the 1930's. Her grandfather was an MD in Chicago at the time. The property was on the east side of the lake near Torch River Bridge. They had a log cabin built from materials entirely from the property. It was made from cedar logs and even the sand for the concrete was from the property. They had a cherry orchard that covered about 1/3 of the land. After her grandparents passed and the cabin went to her parents we used it every year for vacations. I know a lot of people from the Detroit area bought property and had places up along Elk Lake.
northland10

Post by northland10 »

qbawl wrote: Fri Nov 10, 2023 6:22 pm
Reality Check wrote: Fri Nov 10, 2023 4:12 pm
Interesting! My in laws also lived near Elk Rapids in a little area called Inwood Harbor. We would often have breakfast at a little place called 'Harbor Cafe'.
Elk Rapids was usually just a small town I passed on my way to Petoskey or Charlevoix (or the team our school was playing in football or basketball), but I do recall going to some choir director meetings in Elk Rapids, possibly at a place named Pearl's. It was an attempt to get at least a closer to centrally located spot for a group that spanned from Cheboygan to Frankfort (yet reduce the complaining for Traverse City folks who objected to having to travel outside of Traverse City).

I miss NW lower Michigan again.
qbawl

Post by qbawl »

Reality Check wrote: Fri Nov 10, 2023 7:30 pm
qbawl wrote: Fri Nov 10, 2023 6:22 pm :snippity: Interesting! My in laws also lived near Elk Rapids in a little area called Inwood Harbor. We would often have breakfast at a little place called 'Harbor Cafe'.
I don't recall Inwood Harbor but I digress. Actually Mrs. RC's grandparents bought 60 acres on Elk Lake back in the 1930's. Her grandfather was an MD in Chicago at the time. The property was on the east side of the lake near Torch River Bridge. They had a log cabin built from materials entirely from the property. It was made from cedar logs and even the sand for the concrete was from the property. They had a cherry orchard that covered about 1/3 of the land. After her grandparents passed and the cabin went to her parents we used it every year for vacations. I know a lot of people from the Detroit area bought property and had places up along Elk Lake.
Inwood Harbor was just a collection of about 20 - 30 houses around a dredged out harbor with a short dredged channel to the bay. Most people had a dock and there was a boat ramp at one end. It was north on 72 (iirc) actually better reached along the beach road from the harbor in Elk Rapids that passes the state(?) beach on the bay. We would usually visit in mid August during the meteor showers. Loved to throw sleeping bags on the bow of the boat (tied up @ the dock) and watch the showers on a clear night.
pipistrelle

Post by pipistrelle »

For Frater: The Marines were represented by an Iwo Jima survivor, Ransom Cundy.

https://ssedmundfitzgerald.org/ransom-e-cundy
Frater I*I
Verified: ✅Verified Devilish Hyena

Post by Frater I*I »

pipistrelle wrote: Fri Nov 10, 2023 10:18 pm For Frater: The Marines were represented by an Iwo Jima survivor, Ransom Cundy.

Survived Iwo Jima, just to be taken by the lakes, the sea is a harsh mistress whom has no mercy...

Hence why I will never get on a boat ever again, yous guys can enjoy your cruise ship and such, but if there is a meetup on one, count me out...
"He sewed his eyes shut because he is afraid to see, He tries to tell me what I put inside of me
He's got the answers to ease my curiosity, He dreamed a god up and called it Christianity"

Trent Reznor
pipistrelle

Post by pipistrelle »

Edmund Fitzgerald memorialized with 31 rings of its bell at Great Lakes Maritime Academy
TRAVERSE CITY — A solemn ceremony was held at the Great Lakes Maritime Academy in Traverse City on Friday.

It’s been 48 years since the tragic sinking of the Edmund Fitzgerald. On Nov. 10, the bell recovered from the ship was rung 31 times: 29 for the lives lost that day back in 1975 on Lake Superior, once for all lives lost at sea, and once for singer Gordon Lightfoot, who wrote the ballad of the ship’s sinking and who passed away earlier this year.
pipistrelle

Post by pipistrelle »

Frater I*I wrote: Fri Nov 10, 2023 11:03 pm
pipistrelle wrote: Fri Nov 10, 2023 10:18 pm For Frater: The Marines were represented by an Iwo Jima survivor, Ransom Cundy.

Survived Iwo Jima, just to be taken by the lakes, the sea is a harsh mistress whom has no mercy...

Hence why I will never get on a boat ever again, yous guys can enjoy your cruise ship and such, but if there is a meetup on one, count me out...
I think this about a lot of WWII veterans who came to worse ends than they deserved stateside.

Superior is an inland sea.
The surface area of Lake Superior (31,700 square miles or 82,170 square kilometers) is greater than the combined areas of Vermont, Massachusetts, Rhode Island, Connecticut, and New Hampshire.
When I've been there I've been told how it is treated with respect by everyone who goes out on it, at least if they're smart. Anyone who goes out in less than a sea kayak is asking for trouble.

If you take the ferry to Isle Royale, it stops at a "wreck" buoy marking the wreckage of the SS America, parts of which are visible in the clear water.

It's estimated there are at least 6,000 shipwrecks in the Great Lakes.

Lake Michigan drowns the most swimmers due to riptides. IIRC it has something to do with the parallel north/south shores.

And if Superior doesn't get you, mass wasting at Pictured Rocks could.
northland10

Post by northland10 »

pipistrelle wrote: Sat Nov 11, 2023 12:49 pm Lake Michigan drowns the most swimmers due to riptides. IIRC it has something to do with the parallel north/south shores.

And if Superior doesn't get you, mass wasting at Pictured Rocks could.
You may be right about the reason for the riptides, but Lake Michigan may be higher for drownings also because of opportunity.

1. There are some major and larger minor metropolitan areas along Lake Michigan.

2. Many people who live in said metropolitan areas get out of town by just driving up one side or another of the lake and spend time being Fudgies (tourists in northern lower Michigan who come up and by fudge) and FIPs (Fucking Illinois People - Chicago area tourists on the lower part of Lake Michigan in Michigan).

3. Lake Michigan is a better swimming lake. Lake Superior is really cold any time of year. It also is not well known for its soft sandy beaches. It does have the best skipping stones.

Return to “General Stuff”