Spring forward.
To delete this message, click the X at top right.

Wrongly Convicted

RTH10260
Verified: ✔️ Eurobot

Wrongly Convicted

Post by RTH10260 »

Exonerated Man Who Spent 37 Years in Prison Denied Compensation for Wrongful Conviction

BY JUSTIN KLAWANS
ON 11/4/21 AT 11:18 PM EDT

AFlorida man who was wrongfully convicted of rape and murder has been denied compensation for the 37 years he spent in prison.

Robert Duboise, 55, was released from prison in August 2020 after being behind bars since 1985.

However, Duboise had previously been to prison for non-violent offenses, and according to Florida state law, anyone applying for prison compensation is required to have a clean record.

Since his release from prison, Duboise has been appealing to various Florida politicians to try and have this law waived. His story caught the attention of state Senator Jeff Brandes, who has filed legislation that would allow Duboise to bypass the law.

"An incredible story...we've taken a portion of their lives as a state then they should be compensated for that wrongful conviction," Brandes stated.

Florida state law sets compensation for wrongful convictions at $50,000 per year served, meaning Duboise would receive a total of $1.85 million in damages.

Beyond financial compensation, Brandes' legislation would also provide Duboise with 120 hours of free education at a state or trade school.

https://www.newsweek.com/exonerated-man ... on-1646195
Tiredretiredlawyer
Verified: ✅🐴🐎🦄🌻5000 posts and counting

Re: Wrongly Convicted

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer »

https://blackchronicle.com/man-sues-her ... of-murder/
Man sues Hertz for not producing a receipt that cleared him of murder

A Michigan man who spent almost 5 years in custody is suing Hertz for failing to provide in a well timed method a receipt that might have proved his innocence lengthy earlier than he was convicted of homicide. The proof from the automotive rental firm was lastly obtained in 2018, resulting in Herbert Alford’s exoneration in Ingham County final 12 months.

Alford filed a lawsuit in opposition to Hertz on Tuesday, though the case will probably be slowed by the corporate’s chapter reorganization. He’s searching for monetary compensation.

Hertz stated it is “deeply saddened” about what occurred to Alford.

“Whereas we have been unable to seek out the historic rental document from 2011 when it was requested in 2015, we continued our good religion efforts to find it,” spokeswoman Lauren Luster stated Wednesday. “With advances in knowledge search within the years following, we have been in a position to find the rental document in 2018 and promptly offered it.”

The Hertz receipt confirmed Alford was renting a automotive at a Lansing-area airport across the time that Adams was shot, White stated. He was killed in a Lansing neighborhood 20 minutes away from the airport.
Please note the unusual choice of words in this article.
"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.
Reddog

Post by Reddog »

Yes, almost like google translation
Estiveo
Verified:

Post by Estiveo »

Not only is that article strangely worded, it's written like it's a current story when it's almost a year old.

Here's an ABC News version from May, 2021:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/abcnews.go ... d=76476841
Image Image Image Image
roadscholar

Post by roadscholar »

Yes, interesting that “good faith effort” is rendered “good religion effort.”

Almost certainly a translation that choked on the idiom.
The bitterest truth is more wholesome than the sweetest lie.
pipistrelle

Post by pipistrelle »

roadscholar wrote: Thu Mar 31, 2022 9:44 pm Yes, interesting that “good faith effort” is rendered “good religion effort.”

I read years ago that many online articles that appear to be by local reporters are outsourced to people from other countries who are paid a pittance. Demand for “content,” etc. Wonder if that’s still the case.
jemcanada2

Post by jemcanada2 »

The title of this thread made me think of a very sad case of a wrongful conviction in Canada, David Milgaard.

There’s a strange coincidence that makes this case stand out. A nurse was murdered in Saskatoon, Saskatchewan in 1969. 3 teenage “hippies” had arrived at the house of a friend to pick him up for a road trip. The police charged one of the teenagers with the murder and he was wrongly convicted. DNA evidence decades later cleared Milgaard, and indicated that Larry Fisher was the actual murderer. Here’s the coincidence. Fisher was renting the basement apartment at Milgaard’s friend’s house, which explained why some of the forensic evidence led back to where Milgaard had been.

https://www.innocencecanada.com/exonera ... -milgaard/
keith
Occupation: Retired Computer Systems Analyst Project Manager Super Coder
Verified: ✅lunatic

Post by keith »

pipistrelle wrote: Fri Apr 01, 2022 10:43 am
roadscholar wrote: Thu Mar 31, 2022 9:44 pm Yes, interesting that “good faith effort” is rendered “good religion effort.”

I read years ago that many online articles that appear to be by local reporters are outsourced to people from other countries who are paid a pittance. Demand for “content,” etc. Wonder if that’s still the case.
Yes that is irritating, I agree. But I find it even more irritating when a site uses voice to text and publishes the result without reading it. PoliticusUSA does this a lot.

They once rendered Jen Psaki talking about the old railroad 'link and pin' coupler as "Lincoln pin'. It took me 20 minutes to figure out what she actually said. They do it ll the time, that's just the one I remember most.

I really wish they would hire a proof reader.
Has everybody heard about the bird?
Kriselda Gray
Verified:

Post by Kriselda Gray »

keith wrote: Sun Apr 03, 2022 9:09 pm Yes that is irritating, I agree. But I find it even more irritating when a site uses voice to text and publishes the result without reading it. PoliticusUSA does this a lot.
I don't know if they're still as bad as they used to be since I stopped using them as a resource a long time ago, but I noticed that they frequently gave stories misleading headlines. Most often, they'd exaggerate how big of a deal something was, and often I found that I had to actually check the story elsewhere to understand what really happened. (I realized they were exaggerating when I came across stories there that I'd already read from other sources I generally consider to be reasonably reliable and noticed the discrepancies between the other source and PoliticusUSA.) Nowadays, if I see their name associated with a story, I don't even bother reading their account and go looking for info on it somewhere else.
keith
Occupation: Retired Computer Systems Analyst Project Manager Super Coder
Verified: ✅lunatic

Post by keith »

Kriselda Gray wrote: Sun Apr 03, 2022 11:16 pm
keith wrote: Sun Apr 03, 2022 9:09 pm Yes that is irritating, I agree. But I find it even more irritating when a site uses voice to text and publishes the result without reading it. PoliticusUSA does this a lot.
I don't know if they're still as bad as they used to be since I stopped using them as a resource a long time ago, but I noticed that they frequently gave stories misleading headlines. Most often, they'd exaggerate how big of a deal something was, and often I found that I had to actually check the story elsewhere to understand what really happened. (I realized they were exaggerating when I came across stories there that I'd already read from other sources I generally consider to be reasonably reliable and noticed the discrepancies between the other source and PoliticusUSA.) Nowadays, if I see their name associated with a story, I don't even bother reading their account and go looking for info on it somewhere else.
Yes, I agree about the headlines, but they have improved a bit recently. I look upon their headlines as a bit of an in-joke.

I suspect they had maybe 5 or 6 'templates' that they randomly chose from. They probably have 15 or 20 now-a-days. :lol:
Has everybody heard about the bird?
Kriselda Gray
Verified:

Post by Kriselda Gray »

keith wrote: Sun Apr 03, 2022 11:34 pm Yes, I agree about the headlines, but they have improved a bit recently. I look upon their headlines as a bit of an in-joke.

I suspect they had maybe 5 or 6 'templates' that they randomly chose from. They probably have 15 or 20 now-a-days. :lol:
Well, that's something at least :mrgreen:

Return to “Law and Lawsuits”