Back to the movie theaters ...

Foggy
Dick Tater
Verified: as seen on qvc zombie apocalypse

Back to the movie theaters ...

Post by Foggy »

Number One Son and I are going to see Dune today. I've had three jabs, I feel safe. He's only had two but he's a strapping young man and we'll sit away from other people.
The more I learn about this planet, the more improbable it all seems. :confuzzled:
John Thomas8

Re: Back to the movie theaters ...

Post by John Thomas8 »

Been to three since the first of September. The first two the theater was less than half full, no problems. Then we went to the "opening night" of Eternals, many more crowded and not so comfortable.
northland10
Verified: ✅ I'm me.

Post by northland10 »

Foggy wrote: Sun Nov 07, 2021 12:08 pm Number One Son and I are going to see Dune today. I've had three jabs, I feel safe. He's only had two but he's a strapping young man and we'll sit away from other people.
I thought about watching it in the theater like you are supposed to (and I can see why IMAX would be preferred) but I chickened out. I did not go to theaters hardly ever before COVID. Ironically, one of my few trips there was a month before the lockdown.

I am taking a bunch of days off over the next 2 months so maybe I will try it still, or at least see Wes Anderson's which I is obviously not on HBO Max like Dune.

I did finally get the book as I have been meaning to read it for a long time.
101010 :towel:
RVInit

Post by RVInit »

I love movies and I really miss going to movie theaters. But, given where I live I think I'm safer just to stay at home and watch movies on a smaller screen. :(
There's a lot of things that need to change. One specifically? Police brutality.
--Colin Kaepernick
filly

Post by filly »

RVInit wrote: Sun Nov 07, 2021 1:51 pm I love movies and I really miss going to movie theaters. But, given where I live I think I'm safer just to stay at home and watch movies on a smaller screen. :(
:yeahthat:

We are fortunate enough to have some nice tee vees so the experience isn't that lessened. Mr. Filly hasn't been a fan of going to the movies in a long time anyway and I totally get that.
Phoenix520
Verified:

Post by Phoenix520 »

We debated - Bond or Dune? - and decided Bond would be less crowded. We were right :thumbsup: We were two out of maybe a dozen.

I want to see* Dune on an IMAX screen.

* See may be too strong a word ;)
Foggy
Dick Tater

Post by Foggy »

Nobody told me until it ended. Then my son leans over and says, "That was Part 1."

OK, that explains why it's over and we're only halfway through the book. :doh:
The more I learn about this planet, the more improbable it all seems. :confuzzled:
John Thomas8

Post by John Thomas8 »

There's a thing about going back to the theater: what's worth watching?

Ya, it's like music, my favourites are mine, I like what I like.

We've seen the Venom: Let There Be Carnage; Bond's Not Time To Die, and the MCU universe Eternals. We liked the Venom movie, it was a silly giggle-fest of a comic book movie. The Bond movie looked to have been phoned in by almost everyone involved, and the MCU movie was a complete mess, over 2.5 hours and they developed 1 character far enough to care about.

So maybe going back to the theater is an exercise in futility? I will admit I'm an AMC Stubs member and 60 years old, the combination makes for extremely affordable tickets, keeps my annoyance level down when I dropped less than $40 to get 4 people in to see the movie.
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

Foggy wrote: Sun Nov 07, 2021 5:39 pm Nobody told me until it ended. Then my son leans over and says, "That was Part 1."

OK, that explains why it's over and we're only halfway through the book. :doh:
:lol:

I recall that when we went to see the first "Lord of the Rings" film in a theater (quite some years ago) that a guy in front of us expressed surprise that it ended without any plot resolution. Guess he hadn't read the books. ;)
“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
Foggy
Dick Tater

Post by Foggy »

:biggrin: Yeah, I admit the MCU hasn't done a good job lately, 'course didn't they get bought by Disney? Ya knew that wouldn't be a good thing.

So I wanted to see Black Widow but it was only in the theaters for about 5 minutes, it was still too early. They had it on Disney for $30, but I won't pay that much, so I waited them out and rented it for $6 this weekend. And ... it's not a great movie, but damn, that lady Scarlett can act, and I really liked Florence Pugh, not a legendary beauty but a strong, kickass, emotional woman. It was fun.

I'm gonna rent The Eternals, too also. When the price comes down. Maybe it's bad. But if you miss one of the MCU flicks, the next one will be great and you won't understand it all because you didn't see the bad ones.

And the usually-high-priced, fancy theater with the reserved seating and the electric reclining chairs was $6.50 for a ticket.

My Numbah One Son and I like the MCU. We like going to the theater and eating popcorn. We hadn't seen a movie since the last Spider Man. The one with Zendaya. Who showed up in the Dune movie yesterday. Circle, closed, or sumpin'.

It was a good day. :biggrin:
Foggy
Dick Tater

Post by Foggy »

I am going to say this about Dune:

I have seen better movies, but it is a good movie. The thing that hits me, the day after, is that I think it's the movie Frank Herbert had in his head when he wrote the book. He died long before the CGI tech existed that they used to create Arrakis. But it was true to the book, in ways big and small.

I read the book when it came out. I was 12, and it was an amazing book, for a 12 year old. I'm not 12 anymore - OK, some days, maybe :biggrin: - but I have read it a few times, and that is the world I envision, except for the funny hats on the Bene Gesserit.
John Thomas8

Post by John Thomas8 »

If you're going to watch the upcoming Spider Man movie (release date 17 Dec 21), ya gotta see Venom: Let There Be Carnage. The plot of the former will make almost no sense without seeing the latter. And Venom is a PG-13, zero nudity, minimal gore and is just a giggle-fest.
Foggy
Dick Tater

Post by Foggy »

Ol' Wifehorn and Numbah One and Two Sons got me into the MCU. I'd go watch a movie with my fambly, and in the car on the way home they would have this long, interesting discussion about how the movie we just watched fit in with the overall MCU (and they were watching the Tee Vee shows, too also).

And I was left out of what seemed to be an interesting world, that my wife and sons knew all about. :?

So you can imagine how I dealt with that noise ... :biggrin:

'Course, I had a lot of the original Marvel comic books. My alcoholic mother burned them in the fireplace. :nope:
Foggy
Dick Tater

Post by Foggy »

John Thomas8 wrote: Mon Nov 08, 2021 7:57 am Venom: Let There Be Carnage
Wow, that's in the theater now. Will go.
John Thomas8

Post by John Thomas8 »

Foggy wrote: Mon Nov 08, 2021 8:11 am
John Thomas8 wrote: Mon Nov 08, 2021 7:57 am Venom: Let There Be Carnage
Wow, that's in the theater now. Will go.
And stay to the end, the end-credit scenes specifically set up the next Spider Man.
Foggy
Dick Tater

Post by Foggy »

Yeah, when you rent online you can skip ahead to that bitter-end scene. :biggrin:

I still remember a cat horking up a tesseract ... :eek:
Tiredretiredlawyer
Verified: ✅🐴🐎🦄🌻5000 posts and counting

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer »

I got "lessoned" by The Kid about DC v. MCU. I was pondering out loud if a certain character was DC or Marvel. When The Kid answered Marvel I, being an old lady, questioned the young whippersnapper. He gave me "the look" he and Firstborn give me when they are absolutely right. Then he said in the voice they use when they are absolutely right, "Mom, I KNOW Marvel." Nuff said. :oldlady:
"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.
Tiredretiredlawyer

Ya know, there is NO way Dune could be done well in one film. Didn't they try in the 80's?
"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.
Foggy
Dick Tater

Post by Foggy »

Yeah, but nobody TOLD me. :violin: :crying:
John Thomas8

Post by John Thomas8 »

Tiredretiredlawyer wrote: Mon Nov 08, 2021 8:24 am Ya know, there is NO way Dune could be done well in one film. Didn't they try in the 80's?
David Lynch did one in 1984. Max Von Sydow, Sting and Patrick Stewart among the cast.
Tiredretiredlawyer

John Thomas8 wrote: Mon Nov 08, 2021 8:31 am
Tiredretiredlawyer wrote: Mon Nov 08, 2021 8:24 am Ya know, there is NO way Dune could be done well in one film. Didn't they try in the 80's?
David Lynch did one in 1984. Max Von Sydow, Sting and Patrick Stewart among the cast.
I saw it with someone who hadn't read the book. I spent the entire movie answering questions. The production was good and followed the book closely. Kyle Maclachlan was in it too.
Frater I*I
Verified: ✅Verified Devilish Hyena

Post by Frater I*I »

The SciFi channel did a two-part mini series back in the early 2000s, it was rather well done....except for the Sardukar all wearing these poofy Chef Boyardee hats...
"He sewed his eyes shut because he is afraid to see, He tries to tell me what I put inside of me
He's got the answers to ease my curiosity, He dreamed a god up and called it Christianity"

Trent Reznor
Tiredretiredlawyer

I thought that was well done too, also. Can't wait to see what Foggy saw!
chriswatson

Post by chriswatson »

I am also waiting to go watch the movies on the big screen.
John Thomas8

Post by John Thomas8 »

Being 60 and a member of AMC Stubs has a benefit. Bought 3 tickets to the latest installation of the Ghostbusters series for next Tuesday. AMC Tuesday discount + senior discount I bought 3 tickets for $11.80 with tax.

Return to “General Stuff”