Spring forward.
To delete this message, click the X at top right.

Supply Chain Bottlenecks

PaulG

Re: Supply Chain Bottlenecks

Post by PaulG »

northland10 wrote: Wed Nov 24, 2021 5:48 pm
Then there is that other minor issue. The transportation company or the railway that is contracted to pick up the containers are out west, not in Florida. For railways, Los Angeles is the Union Pacific and BNSF world. Florida is CSX or contracting with a class II railway to deliver it to Norfolk Southern in northern Florida. Depending on where things were going, this may require another handoff in the middle of the country.
And wouldn't Florida be a bottleneck anyway? It does sound like the effort to get the containers off the peninsula would be a waste; maybe the ship can carry it farther up the east coast or into a gulf port with a shorter way into the national rail system.

ETA given that the idea is daft, anyway.
RTH10260
Verified: ✔️ Eurobot

Post by RTH10260 »

Why you may never receive your goods stuck in the supply chain

RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 »

interesting presentation, especially discussing seafarers

Lani

Post by Lani »

POTUS.png
POTUS.png (18.35 KiB) Viewed 2026 times
Image You can't wait until life isn't hard anymore before you decide to be happy.
RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 »

"Fake News" ? That the ports are getting cleared has more to do with fines than getting the containers delivered to their final destination. Now they are just dropped off along unsafe roadsides and truck parks. Or sitting on trains on side lines.
Slim Cognito
Verified:

Post by Slim Cognito »

And I just got an email from an airline (Allegiant) suggesting I buy plane tickets for Christmas because there's nothing in the stores. :mad:

(I haven't been to a store yet that had significant shortages, hell had any shortages. Except maybe for juice boxes and energy drinks at Publix.)
Pup Dennis in training to be a guide dog & given to a deserving vet. Thx! ImageImageImage x4
raison de arizona
Verified: ✔️ he/him/his

Post by raison de arizona »

I can't buy a quart of Dunn Edwards paint due to supply chain bottlenecks. They were happy to sell me a gallon though. Something about limited resin and they were only using it for gallons. I have a few feet of conduit to paint. Garg.
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
sugar magnolia

Post by sugar magnolia »

A woman on one of my artist boards posts empty paint shelf photos about once a week. She goes from NOLA to Mobile trying to find paint. No love at Lowe's, Home Depot, Walmart, or any of the independent stores. They're all running short.
raison de arizona

I guess I'm lucky I could get some at all!

“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

Chris Murphy got that one right.
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
bill_g
Verified: ✅ Checked Republic ✓ ᵛᵉʳᶦᶠᶦᵉᵈ

Post by bill_g »

Another of my suppliers shuttered suddenly yesterday citing supply chain issues. Ugh.

To all valued CPI customers:

Due to the ongoing supply chain crisis for electronic components, CPI has made the difficult decision to close business operations. I would like to thank all past and present employees, suppliers, and customers that have kept CPI going for the last 48 years.

CPI can still be reached at 972-429-7160.
General questions can be emailed to orders@cpicomm.com.
Repair questions can be emailed to tech@cpicomm.com.

– Phil Easterling
MN-Skeptic

Post by MN-Skeptic »

As most of you are aware, the computer chip shortage has dramatically affected the car market. Demand for new cars exceeds their supply and that's driving up prices for both new cars and used cars. The Minneapolis StarTribune recently had an article about the car shortage - Empty lots, long waitlists, high prices: Twin Cities car market is at an extreme moment.

My brother's family recently had first hand experience with this and I thought I would share their experience. Their Daughter #3, who turns 22 later this month and graduated from college last May, was in a fender bender earlier this month. No one was hurt, and while the other three cars could drive away, her car was totaled. A mere four days later their Daughter #2, age 23, had her car stolen. It was recovered, but spray painted inside and out, and with drug paraphernalia found in it and blood smeared in various places - a total loss.

My 22-year old niece had a 2004 Pontiac Vibe for which she paid $1,000 for it three years ago (family discount). The insurance company valued it at 3,300. The 23-year old niece had a 2009 (I think, maybe it was a 2007) Toyota Corolla. She bought it four years ago for about $5,500. The insurance company valued it at about $6,500. Isn't that remarkable?

My sister-in-law enjoys the challenge of used car shopping so she did all the research and found great used cars for her daughters. She discovered that prices are high and you have to act quickly because cars are quickly sold. While dealerships might take a down payment to hold a car that has just come in, they won't hold a car once it is cleaned up and on the lot, ready for sale.

The 22-year old bought a 2008 Toyota Highlander for $10K. I forget the mileage - maybe 170K? Anyway, my sister-in-law wrote a check for it and my niece will finance it through a local bank. The 23-year old bought a 2015 Suburu Outback for $18K. It had 130K miles on it. If my niece had financed it through the dealership, she would have paid about 11% interest. :o Again, my sister-in-law wrote a check for it and that niece will also get a loan from the local bank.

I am so glad that I don't need a new car at this time!
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

We need a new second car right now. Not good timing.

Also, I went to Costco yesterday. If there's a supply chain bottleneck, they aren't feeling it. I've never seen their shelves so well stocked.
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 »

Maybe settle for less than the dream but check-in for reality
What to Expect When You’re Expecting: Supply Chain Issues
Expectant parents have keenly felt the inconvenience of global shipping delays caused by the pandemic. With a baby due, “it’s a different ballgame.”

By Sydney Ember and Sapna Maheshwari
Dec. 29, 2021

Almost as soon as Eryn Yates made it through her first trimester of pregnancy last spring, she started shopping for her dream nursery.

But getting the items she wanted turned into a nightmare.

The crib that she had ordered from Crate & Barrel arrived within weeks, but the rocking chair from Pottery Barn Kids was back-ordered for months, and then lost somewhere in transit. The delivery of the dresser she was going to use as her changing table was repeatedly postponed until West Elm informed her that it would be delivered in late April or May 2022 — more than six months after her daughter’s birth.

“I definitely thought that we were ahead of the game since we started ordering everything so early,” said Ms. Yates, 27, who lives in Winter Garden, Fla., and works in health care. “I was wrong.”

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/12/29/busi ... chain.html
jcolvin2
Verified:

Post by jcolvin2 »

AndyinPA wrote: Tue Dec 21, 2021 2:52 pm We need a new second car right now. Not good timing.
I also need a new second car. In early December, a woman rear-ended me as I was driving to work on I-5 in Seattle. Did more than $6k in damage (bumper and left rear quarter panel), which was enough for the driver’s insurance company to total my 2003 Toyota Highlander, although the GEICO total loss adjuster has not yet told me what they will pay me. With the Holidays and the Seattle snow/ice issues, I haven’t started shopping. Not looking forward to it.
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

jcolvin2 wrote: Thu Dec 30, 2021 9:37 am
AndyinPA wrote: Tue Dec 21, 2021 2:52 pm We need a new second car right now. Not good timing.
I also need a new second car. In early December, a woman rear-ended me as I was driving to work on I-5 in Seattle. Did more than $6k in damage (bumper and left rear quarter panel), which was enough for the driver’s insurance company to total my 2003 Toyota Highlander, although the GEICO total loss adjuster has not yet told me what they will pay me. With the Holidays and the Seattle snow/ice issues, I haven’t started shopping. Not looking forward to it.
Sorry about that.
keith
Occupation: Retired Computer Systems Analyst Project Manager Super Coder
Verified: ✅lunatic

Post by keith »

Any lawyers here want to sue the USPS to get them to honor their International Postal Union obligations and start sending mail to Australia again?

Please?
Has everybody heard about the bird?
RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 »

tsk tsk tsk --- you don't want an international incident just after signing that yuuuuge contract for submarines! :twisted:
keith
Occupation: Retired Computer Systems Analyst Project Manager Super Coder
Verified: ✅lunatic

Post by keith »

Mail from France is getting through just fine.

It is the US that is illegally blockadeing Australia
Has everybody heard about the bird?
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

Sifting Through the Train Thefts of Los Angeles
A Union Pacific rail hub is strewn with the castoffs from goods looted from train cars that dip below street level. The company put losses, claims and damages at about $5 million.

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/01/19/us/l ... tw-nytimes
The railroad tracks are a wasteland of discarded cartons, envelopes and boxes. Pieces of clothing lie disgorged from packaging and tossed aside. A family photograph, propped up in the garbage, stands sentimental to someone, somewhere, but of no interest to those who loot the tracks of Lincoln Heights.

The authorities in this east Los Angeles neighborhood have been aware for months of the thefts, affecting a busy hub for freight from the West Coast, but the losses have worsened over the last year, they said.

At this section of the tracks, a center for Union Pacific Railroad, trains carrying an array of items, including electronics and jewelry, are reconfigured for routes toward Canada or Chicago, a pause in the journey that has made them targets.

While train theft occurs at other hubs around the country, it is particularly challenging to guard the cargo around Lincoln Heights because of the lay of the land. The tracks dip below street level, putting them out of sight in an urban valley of walls and shipping containers.
“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
raison de arizona

Seem like for $5M in losses they could, I dunno, post a few security guards in the area they are having trouble with or something :shrug:
RVInit

Post by RVInit »

raison de arizona wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 1:40 pm Seem like for $5M in losses they could, I dunno, post a few security guards in the area they are having trouble with or something :shrug:
ThatWouldMakeTooMuchSense. Or something like that.
There's a lot of things that need to change. One specifically? Police brutality.
--Colin Kaepernick
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

I was out to three different grocery stores last week, as I mentioned then. Basically, the shelves were pretty much full every place I was. I ran out briefly today and picked up a few things at the grocery store again. Same thing, very well-stocked. I'm sure they were down over the weekend as we had a big snow storm, but they are certainly good again.

Something was posted on Next Door today. There was a photo with only one or two items on a really long set of shelves. It got shot down almost immediately as a political post.
raison de arizona

Manufacturers have less than five days’ supply of some computer chips, Commerce Department says

Wafer-thin inventories leave factories vulnerable to shutdowns if their chip deliveries are interrupted by weather or covid-19

Manufacturers and other buyers of computer chips had less than five days’ supply of some chips on hand late last year, leaving them vulnerable to any disruptions in deliveries, the Commerce Department reported Tuesday as it pushed Congress to endorse federal aid for chip makers.
The report highlighted the severity of a global shortage that has hobbled manufacturing and fueled inflation for more than a year and that defies easy solutions.

Manufacturers’ median chip inventory levels have plummeted from about 40 days’ supply in 2019 to less than five days, according to a survey of 150 companies worldwide that the Commerce Department conducted in September.

“This means a disruption overseas, which might shut down a semiconductor plant for 2-3 weeks, has the potential to disable a manufacturing facility and furlough workers in the United States if that facility only has 3-5 days of inventory,” the Commerce Department concluded in a six-page summary of its findings.

The lack of chip inventory leaves auto manufacturers and other chip users with “no room for error,” Commerce Secretary Gina Raimondo said Tuesday as she presented the findings.
“A covid outbreak, a storm, a natural disaster, political instability, problem with equipment — really anything that disrupts a [chip-making] facility anywhere in the world, we will feel the ramifications here in the United States of America,” she said. “A covid outbreak in Malaysia has the potential to shut down a manufacturing facility in America.”
:snippity:
https://www.washingtonpost.com/technolo ... 022-chips/
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

The Real Reason America Doesn’t Have Enough Truck Drivers
A 1,000-mile journey through the middle of America reveals the fundamental reason for truck driver shortages: It is a job full of stress, physical deprivation and loneliness
https://www.nytimes.com/2022/02/09/busi ... ticleShare
Mr. Graves is nearing the 11-hour limit on driving before he is legally required to rest for 10 hours. He could push on for another hour, creep closer to the Texas border and shorten the distance to his drop-off the next morning — a warehouse alongside the Dallas-Fort Worth airport.

The calculus is tricky. The next truck stop down the interstate is notoriously short on parking. He might get there and have to settle for the shoulder of a highway on-ramp. This stop outside the minuscule town of Springer is unappealing — its bathrooms rank and its dining options minimal. But it has parking in abundance. So he pulls in for the night and climbs into the bunk at the back of his cab for a few hours of fitful sleep.

:snippity:

“The lifestyle probably is the first thing that smacks people in the face,” he says. “You know what it does to you. You’re thinking about it all the time. We’re tired. Our bodies are starting to go. Our bladders have been put to the test. And no exercise. We end up with all types of heart and other health ailments. You can’t truly fathom what it’s done to you.”

In a world contending with the unrelenting impact of the Great Supply Chain Disruption and its attendant worry of the moment, rising consumer prices, a shortage of truck drivers is frequently cited as an explanation for shortages of many other things — from construction supplies to electronics to clothing.

Last year, trucking companies in the United States suffered a record deficit of 80,000 drivers, according to the American Trucking Associations, a trade association. Given that trucks move 72 percent of American freight, a lack of drivers spells substantial disruption.
“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace

Return to “Economy”