Spring forward.
To delete this message, click the X at top right.

U.S. Sen. Kyrsten Sinema (Ind.-AZ)

Trying to make sense of a crazy world, with limited success mostly
Phoenix520
Verified:

U.S. Sen. Kyrsten Sinema (D-AZ)

Post by Phoenix520 »

She can always be a fashion influencer if the other gigs don’t materialize. :mrgreen:
Ben-Prime
Verified: ✅MamaSaysI'mBonaFide

Post by Ben-Prime »

Phoenix520 wrote: Fri Dec 09, 2022 2:39 pm She can always be a fashion influencer if the other gigs don’t materialize. :mrgreen:
I mean, do you *want* there to be a run on denim? Because that's how you get a run on denim.
But the sunshine aye shall light the sky,
As round and round we run;
And the truth shall ever come uppermost,
And justice shall be done.

- Charles Mackay, "Eternal Justice"
Slim Cognito
Verified:

Post by Slim Cognito »

Ben-Prime wrote: Fri Dec 09, 2022 3:20 pm
Phoenix520 wrote: Fri Dec 09, 2022 2:39 pm She can always be a fashion influencer if the other gigs don’t materialize. :mrgreen:
I mean, do you *want* there to be a run on denim? Because that's how you get a run on denim.
Pup Dennis in training to be a guide dog & given to a deserving vet. Thx! ImageImageImage x4
Phoenix520
Verified:

Post by Phoenix520 »

:lol:
Gregg

Post by Gregg »

bob wrote: Fri Dec 09, 2022 1:18 pm From what I understand, Sinema's play here essentially is to concede that she's going to get primaried.

So, by switching to independent, she'll bypass the primary and aim to qualify to appear on the general-election ballot. And instead of relying on the kindness of the DNC's coffers for that effort, she rely on the kindness of her corporate patrons.

Sinema will, in effect, be extorting the DNC not to promote a serious candidate of its own. Because if the Democrats back someone more substantial than, say, Sedona's dogcatcher, Sinema will play spoiler, split the votes, and Kari Lake will be Arizona's next junior senator. Sinema could be the Perot to Bush the Elder.

Which why the party's response should be to find out her terms for her resignation (e.g., federal judgeship?), and buy her out.
I have a Wienerdog Wet Team on standby, if, you know...

:bwahaha:
Supreme Commander, Imperial Illuminati Air Force
:dog:

You don't have to consent, but I'm gonna tase you anyway.
Gregg

Post by Gregg »

bob wrote: Fri Dec 09, 2022 2:32 pm
Foggy wrote: Fri Dec 09, 2022 2:24 pmFuck her and I'm not any more scared of Senator Lake than I was Governor Lake. If'n she ever once does get in office, it will be such a clown show it will help us be rid of these MAGAts.
And that is part of the calculus: Don't tell OrlyLicious but there's a good chance the Democrats will lose the Senate in 2024, regardless of who wins the presidency. So acceding to Sinema may be useless; if the Democrats are going to lose anyway, a little party purity may be a good thing in the long term. Just rip the band-aid off sooner.

And honestly, from her perspective, what does she gain by helping Lake be elected, if she loses? She'd earn the hatred of the Democrats forever - John Edwards still can't show his face in public in this state. She might get a gig on Fox, but that's about it.
There's always the usual, e.g., think-tankery, a K Street address, board of directorships, etc. Hell, I hear Twitter might need a new deputy general counsel.

But I agree that tanking will kill her future political career.
Really.

Just say the word, I can be wheels up with Dachshunds in 30 minutes....

:biggun:
Supreme Commander, Imperial Illuminati Air Force
:dog:

You don't have to consent, but I'm gonna tase you anyway.
Tiredretiredlawyer
Verified: ✅🐴🐎🦄🌻5000 posts and counting

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer »

https://www.dailykos.com/stories/2022/1 ... ted-weirdo
Nothing Sinema does can take away Democrats' Senate majority—she's just an isolated weirdo

Sinema delights in being difficult, so it’s understandable that she caused a lot of consternation with her refusal to tell CNN that she plans to continue caucusing with the Democrats—especially since the Arizona Republic reported that she does plan to caucus with Democrats. But we don’t need to listen to anything she says (and who would even want to?). The only thing that matters is what she actually does, and she simply lacks any real power in a Senate with 50 bona fide Democrats (Does this include Manchin, I wonder).

Let’s say she does stick with the Democrats—fine then. That means the caucus would have 51 seats to just 49 for Republicans, your classic majority. Among other things, Democrats would also enjoy majorities on committees, allowing them to speed nominations to the Senate floor, just as we expected after we learned of Sen. Raphael Warnock’s runoff victory in Georgia. (For what little it’s worth, Sinema supposedly “expects to keep her committee assignments,” and there’s only one way she can ensure that.)

Maybe instead she’ll do her own eccentric thing and become a caucus of one. It’s Sinema, after all, and Politico reports that she “isn’t sure whether her desk will remain on the Democratic side of the Senate floor,” which sums her up perfectly. But again, fine. That would give Democrats 50 seats, Republicans 49, and the Connecticut for Sinema Party a single solitary seat. Once more, 50 is greater than 49, so Democrats would still have all the advantages of an outright majority, including on committees.

Door number three is the suckiest, but it still sucks infinitely worse for her: Sinema caucuses with the Republicans. She claims she won’t, but supposing she does, that would leave each side with exactly 50 seats … which is exactly where things stand now. In other words, Democrats would remain in charge thanks to Kamala Harris’ role as tiebreaker. Yes, we wouldn’t get those committee majorities, but Sinema would find herself in the minority and would no longer get to run the two subcommittees she currently chairs. She’s almost certainly too self-centered for that, but if that’s the course she chooses, I can assure you she’ll hate it.
► Show Spoiler
"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.
raison de arizona
Verified: ✔️ he/him/his

Post by raison de arizona »

Much, much more at link.
I Think I Found Kyrsten Sinema’s Side Hustle
Last week, she ditched the Democrats. Perhaps this is her real passion?

It is 11 a.m. on a Tuesday, and I am exchanging Facebook messages with Arizona Sen. Kyrsten Sinema about a lightly used pair of Badgley Mischka heels.

At least, I think it’s Kyrsten Sinema. It’s her name on the Facebook Marketplace listing, and it’s her in the profile photo, grinning at the finish line of a running race. The seller bio says she lives in Phoenix, and our one mutual Facebook friend is a former Democratic National Committee staffer. The shoes—4.5-inch stilettos adorned with rhinestone-studded flower appliqués—look as if they would fit pretty well in Sinema’s wardrobe.

But would a sitting senator respond within seconds on a weekday morning to a message about her used heels? Would it be worth her time to photograph a pair of old shoes, write a sales listing, field inquiries from potential buyers, and arrange pickup logistics—all for just $65?

“They’re beautiful shoes,” the user DMs me as I Venmo the money. “Enjoy them!
:snippity:
https://slate.com/news-and-politics/202 ... enate.html
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
Suranis

Post by Suranis »

Our next President is planning her leadership role for next year.

https://thehill.com/homenews/senate/378 ... en-system/
Sinema looks to lead bipartisan border trip to see ‘broken’ system

Sen. Kyrsten Sinema (I-Ariz.) plans to lead a bipartisan group of senators on a trip to the U.S.-Mexico border next Congress to see the country’s “broken” immigration system up close.

“Part of the problem is that many in Washington have never taken the time to really see our border up close,” Sinema said in a floor speech on Tuesday. “Without seeing it for all of its diversity and its challenges, it can be easy to rely on the partisan talking points instead of focusing on the meaningful, realistic solutions.”

Sinema said she and Sen. Thom Tillis (R-N.C.) plan to convene a bipartisan group of senators in January “who are willing and committed to get something done” on immigration and organize a trip to the border.

“We’re gonna see what Arizonans see every day because a crisis this big should not and cannot be ignored,” she added.
Hic sunt dracones
tek

Post by tek »

Sinema looks to lead bipartisan border trip to see ‘broken’ system
I'm sure her clothing will be the most newsworthy item that comes out of this adventure.
mojosapien
Occupation: Desktop support. Retired juror for the next three years, thanks.
Verified:

Post by mojosapien »

Cinema.
Think like a fortune cookie. ©2022-Mojosapien
RVInit

Post by RVInit »

So, she's going to the border to see what the situation is, but she already knows it's a "crisis"? Dead giveaway that you are lying about wanting to find out what's going when you admit you already have a verdict.
There's a lot of things that need to change. One specifically? Police brutality.
--Colin Kaepernick
Ben-Prime
Verified: ✅MamaSaysI'mBonaFide

Post by Ben-Prime »

RVInit wrote: Wed Dec 21, 2022 1:11 pm So, she's going to the border to see what the situation is, but she already knows it's a "crisis"? Dead giveaway that you are lying about wanting to find out what's going when you admit you already have a verdict.
I mean, the R-leaning votes she'll need to win a three-way race in 2024 aren't going to materialize on their own without some dog-whistling, yanno?
But the sunshine aye shall light the sky,
As round and round we run;
And the truth shall ever come uppermost,
And justice shall be done.

- Charles Mackay, "Eternal Justice"
Reality Check
Verified: ✅ Curmudgeon

Post by Reality Check »

mojosapien wrote: Wed Dec 21, 2022 9:35 amCinema.
Indeed.
W. Kevin Vicklund

Post by W. Kevin Vicklund »

You wanna help solve the border crisis? Fine. I have one for you, with a catchy slogan:

Make Immigration Legal Again.
Slim Cognito
Verified:

Post by Slim Cognito »

I know the title of the thread is accurate but whenever I see it, at least since the big announcement, I think U.S. Sen Kyrsten Sinema (Clearance Rack - AZ)
Pup Dennis in training to be a guide dog & given to a deserving vet. Thx! ImageImageImage x4
Phoenix520
Verified:

Post by Phoenix520 »

:lol:

Also:
Fashion Victim
Reality Check
Verified: ✅ Curmudgeon

Post by Reality Check »

Slim Cognito wrote: Wed Dec 21, 2022 6:52 pm I know the title of the thread is accurate but whenever I see it, at least since the big announcement, I think U.S. Sen Kyrsten Sinema (Clearance Rack - AZ)
What's really funny is that according to Keith Olbermann who used to date Sinema when she was a state senator she is a nudist. Could that account for her poor fashion choices? :o
raison de arizona

Things currently bleak for Sinema in a three way Senate race.
https://twitter.com/ppppolls/status/1605921865800814592
PublicPolicyPolling @ppppols wrote: Fresh new Arizona numbers! In a three way race Kyrsten Sinema would get just 13% to 41% for Kari Lake and 40% for Ruben Gallego: mailchi.mp/802647d37bde/n…
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
pipistrelle

Post by pipistrelle »

Kari Lake? :nooo:

My opinion of Arizona has undergone a drastic change.
raison de arizona

They found Sinema was a spoiler for Gallego (D), without her he edges over Lake. FWIW.
keith
Occupation: Retired Computer Systems Analyst Project Manager Super Coder
Verified: ✅lunatic

Post by keith »

raison de arizona wrote: Thu Dec 29, 2022 10:54 pm Things currently bleak for Sinema in a three way Senate race.
https://twitter.com/ppppolls/status/1605921865800814592
PublicPolicyPolling @ppppols wrote: Fresh new Arizona numbers! In a three way race Kyrsten Sinema would get just 13% to 41% for Kari Lake and 40% for Ruben Gallego: mailchi.mp/802647d37bde/n…
You know that that is the race that is going to happen.

(Of course my remark ass-u-mes that she fails the audition for TFG's running walking golfcart riding VP partner in grift)
Has everybody heard about the bird?
raison de arizona

Supervillains, unite!
Sawyer Hackett @SawyerHackett wrote: Kyrsten Sinema and Joe Manchin—surrounded by billionaire CEOs in Davos—share a high five after agreeing that they won’t reform the Senate filibuster.

She still hasn’t held a town hall for her constituents.
raison de arizona

RVInit

Post by RVInit »

Sinema is a Democrat the same way Tulsi Gabbard was a Democrat.
There's a lot of things that need to change. One specifically? Police brutality.
--Colin Kaepernick

Return to “Current Politics”