Spring forward.
To delete this message, click the X at top right.

U.S. Sen. Kyrsten Sinema (Ind.-AZ)

Trying to make sense of a crazy world, with limited success mostly
Ben-Prime
Verified: ✅MamaSaysI'mBonaFide

Re: U.S. Sen. Kyrsten Sinema (D-AZ)

Post by Ben-Prime »

Yeah, the 2024 Senate primary for AZ is going to be interesting, I think. If that poll link hasn't already been crossposted to the 2024 elections forum and its Sinema topic (if one already exists), it likely should be.

She's either an Instant Gratification Candidate -- gimme cash, gimme headlines, and screw the future -- or she thinks she's playing Six-Dimensional Hyperchess. And I still can't figure out what.
But the sunshine aye shall light the sky,
As round and round we run;
And the truth shall ever come uppermost,
And justice shall be done.

- Charles Mackay, "Eternal Justice"
Gregg

Post by Gregg »

A panel on Bipartisanship hosted by Mitch McConnell.

Irony is dead. How did that old phuck not burst into flames when he crossed the threshold.

He also called Senator Forever 21 the most effective first term Senator he has seen in his 360 years in the Senate. And by that, he means she has been the kind of Useful Idiot that Lenin only dreamed of.
Supreme Commander, Imperial Illuminati Air Force
:dog:

You don't have to consent, but I'm gonna tase you anyway.
Slim Cognito
Verified:

Post by Slim Cognito »

Fuck her and the turtle she rode in on.
Pup Dennis in training to be a guide dog & given to a deserving vet. Thx! ImageImageImage x4
keith
Occupation: Retired Computer Systems Analyst Project Manager Super Coder
Verified: ✅lunatic

Post by keith »

I remember when she first ran for Senate, the RWNJ were :panic:

I reminded them that she was probably the most conservative Democrat since George Wallace but all they could see was 'Democrat' not ideology.
Has everybody heard about the bird?
Gregg

Post by Gregg »

keith wrote: Tue Sep 27, 2022 12:46 am I remember when she first ran for Senate, the RWNJ were :panic:

I reminded them that she was probably the most conservative Democrat since George Wallace Alexander Stephens but all they could see was 'Democrat' not ideology.
fify

keith
Occupation: Retired Computer Systems Analyst Project Manager Super Coder
Verified: ✅lunatic

Post by keith »

Gregg wrote: Tue Sep 27, 2022 3:42 am
keith wrote: Tue Sep 27, 2022 12:46 am I remember when she first ran for Senate, the RWNJ were :panic:

I reminded them that she was probably the most conservative Democrat since George Wallace Alexander Stephens but all they could see was 'Democrat' not ideology.
fify
I have to disagree. I don't think she is worse than Wallace, so there is no need to go past him to get to Stephens.

Meh, YMMV.
Has everybody heard about the bird?
Gregg

Post by Gregg »

keith wrote: Tue Sep 27, 2022 3:54 am
Gregg wrote: Tue Sep 27, 2022 3:42 am

fify
I have to disagree. I don't think she is worse than Wallace, so there is no need to go past him to get to Stephens.

Meh, YMMV.
You're right, I'm just frustrated. I don't think she really has any ideology beyond "Look at me!", she can't think she's ever gonna get re-elected.

raison de arizona
Verified: ✔️ he/him/his

U.S. Sen. Kyrsten Sinema (D-AZ)

Post by raison de arizona »

185k followers, <300 "likes." People really don't like you, Kyrsten.
Kyrsten Sinema @SenatorSinema wrote: When Roe v. Wade was overturned, many worried what would be next. We saw elected officials drum up outrage to fuel clicks and retweets.

Outrage can help propel political stars, but it doesn’t solve problems – and it doesn’t improve people’s lives. 🧵
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
Lani

Post by Lani »

Sinema leaving the Democratic Party and registering as an independent
https://www.cnn.com/2022/12/09/politics ... index.html
Arizona Sen. Kyrsten Sinema is leaving the Democratic Party and registering as a political independent, she told CNN’s Jake Tapper in an exclusive TV interview.

“I’ve registered as an Arizona independent. I know some people might be a little bit surprised by this, but actually, I think it makes a lot of sense,” Sinema said in a Thursday interview with Tapper in her Senate office.

“I’ve never fit neatly into any party box. I’ve never really tried. I don’t want to,” she added. “Removing myself from the partisan structure – not only is it true to who I am and how I operate, I also think it’ll provide a place of belonging for many folks across the state and the country, who also are tired of the partisanship.”
More at the link.
Image You can't wait until life isn't hard anymore before you decide to be happy.
pipistrelle

Post by pipistrelle »

Lani wrote: Fri Dec 09, 2022 8:08 am Sinema leaving the Democratic Party and registering as an independent
“I’ve registered as an Arizona independent. I know some people might be a little bit surprised by this,
:lol:
Tiredretiredlawyer
Verified: ✅🐴🐎🦄🌻5000 posts and counting

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer »

What will Schumer do about her committee assignments?
"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.
Kriselda Gray
Verified:

Post by Kriselda Gray »

Tiredretiredlawyer wrote: Fri Dec 09, 2022 8:28 am What will Schumer do about her committee assignments?
In the article, she says she expects to keep them. Apparently she has talked to Schumer about this.
Tiredretiredlawyer

OR, she says that to the press hoping Schumer agrees.
"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.
Gupwalla

Post by Gupwalla »

Kriselda Gray wrote: Fri Dec 09, 2022 8:30 am
Tiredretiredlawyer wrote: Fri Dec 09, 2022 8:28 am What will Schumer do about her committee assignments?
In the article, she says she expects to keep them. Apparently she has talked to Schumer about this.
NBC is reporting that Sinema will continue to caucus with Dems. That implies she would keep her seniority and committee asssignments. She would join King and Sanders as Dem-aligned independents.
Tiredretiredlawyer

Thanks!
Dr. Ken

Post by Dr. Ken »

pipistrelle wrote: Fri Dec 09, 2022 8:26 am
Lani wrote: Fri Dec 09, 2022 8:08 am Sinema leaving the Democratic Party and registering as an independent
“I’ve registered as an Arizona independent. I know some people might be a little bit surprised by this,
:lol:
Absolutely no one is surprised by this. She sold out the voters and isn't going to last in a primary. Fuck her. Appoint her to ambassador of micronesia and let hobbs appoint Gallego as her successor
ImageImagePhilly Boondoggle
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

Sigh.
“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
bob

Post by bob »

From what I understand, Sinema's play here essentially is to concede that she's going to get primaried.

So, by switching to independent, she'll bypass the primary and aim to qualify to appear on the general-election ballot. And instead of relying on the kindness of the DNC's coffers for that effort, she rely on the kindness of her corporate patrons.

Sinema will, in effect, be extorting the DNC not to promote a serious candidate of its own. Because if the Democrats back someone more substantial than, say, Sedona's dogcatcher, Sinema will play spoiler, split the votes, and Kari Lake will be Arizona's next junior senator. Sinema could be the Perot to Bush the Elder.

Which why the party's response should be to find out her terms for her resignation (e.g., federal judgeship?), and buy her out.
Image ImageImage
Slarti the White
Verified: Badges... we don't need no stinkin' badges

Post by Slarti the White »

bob wrote: Fri Dec 09, 2022 1:18 pm From what I understand, Sinema's play here essentially is to concede that she's going to get primaried.

So, by switching to independent, she'll bypass the primary and aim to qualify to appear on the general-election ballot. And instead of relying on the kindness of the DNC's coffers for that effort, she rely on the kindness of her corporate patrons.

Sinema will, in effect, be extorting the DNC not to promote a serious candidate of its own. Because if the Democrats back someone more substantial than, say, Sedona's dogcatcher, Sinema will play spoiler, split the votes, and Kari Lake will be Arizona's next junior senator. Sinema could be the Perot to Bush the Elder.

Which why the party's response should be to find out her terms for her resignation (e.g., federal judgeship?), and buy her out.
I think this analysis and advice is exactly right. Here's hoping the Democratic party is smart enough to figure it out for themselves and wise enough to do it.
Phoenix520
Verified:

Post by Phoenix520 »

I knew it would be one of them but I was sure it’d be Manchin.

Is there a smaller -nesia than Micronesia? Send her there.
pipistrelle

Post by pipistrelle »

I didn't do as detailed an analysis in my head. Thought was: "Open for BIDNESS, both sides, any side!"
bob

Post by bob »

Phoenix520 wrote: Fri Dec 09, 2022 1:24 pm I knew it would be one of them but I was sure it’d be Manchin.
Manchin, IMO, actually is in a stronger position, as there's no chance he'll be primaried. Manchin's biggest opponent is time; he'll be 77 when he stands for election in 2024.

Having said that, I also would not surprised if Manchin around a year from now straight-up switches parties.

Only other -nesia country is Indonesia.

There are plenty of countries with smaller populations; many with beautiful locales.

But if I were Sinema, I'd hold out for something better than a temporary gig, even if it is in a tropical paradise.

I note, however, there presently are no vacancies in D.Ariz, nor is there presently a vacant Arizona seat on the 9th.

pipistrelle wrote: Fri Dec 09, 2022 2:07 pm Thought was: "Open for BIDNESS, both sides, any side!"
No doubt; being an "independent" means it'll be easier for the wealthy to "influence" her.
Image ImageImage
Foggy
Dick Tater
Verified: as seen on qvc zombie apocalypse

Post by Foggy »

Fuck her and I'm not any more scared of Senator Lake than I was Governor Lake. If'n she ever once does get in office, it will be such a clown show it will help us be rid of these MAGAts.

Sinema'd have to be actually, honest-to-murgatroyds, 110% willing to split the vote AND LOSE or she wouldn't scare anybody. And she'd have to show that if she suddenly did get a deal, she could say, "I'm backing out, vote for the Dem," and her voters would actually vote for the Dem. Because those who support her against a real Democrat are not entirely reliable.

You don't want a deal where she supports the Dem but her supporters don't.

And honestly, from her perspective, what does she gain by helping Lake be elected, if she loses? She'd earn the hatred of the Democrats forever - John Edwards still can't show his face in public in this state. She might get a gig on Fox, but that's about it.

This is not a brilliant lady playing 5-dimensional chess. I think she's just a little too big for her britches, is what it is.
Out from under. :thumbsup:
bob

Post by bob »

Foggy wrote: Fri Dec 09, 2022 2:24 pmFuck her and I'm not any more scared of Senator Lake than I was Governor Lake. If'n she ever once does get in office, it will be such a clown show it will help us be rid of these MAGAts.
And that is part of the calculus: Don't tell OrlyLicious but there's a good chance the Democrats will lose the Senate in 2024, regardless of who wins the presidency. So acceding to Sinema may be useless; if the Democrats are going to lose anyway, a little party purity may be a good thing in the long term. Just rip the band-aid off sooner.

And honestly, from her perspective, what does she gain by helping Lake be elected, if she loses? She'd earn the hatred of the Democrats forever - John Edwards still can't show his face in public in this state. She might get a gig on Fox, but that's about it.
There's always the usual, e.g., think-tankery, a K Street address, board of directorships, etc. Hell, I hear Twitter might need a new deputy general counsel.

But I agree that tanking will kill her future political career.
Image ImageImage
Dr. Ken

Post by Dr. Ken »

Phoenix520 wrote: Fri Dec 09, 2022 1:24 pm I knew it would be one of them but I was sure it’d be Manchin.

I'm just going off my west wing knowledge of places to send someone for punishment
ImageImagePhilly Boondoggle

Return to “Current Politics”