Bill_G, retired, affluence of effluent, and errata

Tell us about yourself. But only things you want us to know.
northland10
Verified: ✅ I'm me.

Post by northland10 »

bill_g wrote: Tue Jul 09, 2024 11:20 am Thanks Ruth. Oh yeah, monopoles are super-duper. And when you add fiberglass tree limbs, they blend right in. Nobody will notice especially if they aren't much taller than the prevailing tree canopy, and a similar species.

Putting them up on a hill/mountain with other windblown pine trees can start out well...
cell tower 2012.jpg
cell tower 2012.jpg (98.02 KiB) Viewed 2263 times
But after 10 years, without proper cell pole tlc it can start looking a little gumpy.
cell tower 2023.jpg
cell tower 2023.jpg (112.92 KiB) Viewed 2263 times
This is up the hill from Nederland, Colorado.
101010 :towel:
bill_g
Verified: ✅ Checked Republic ✓ ᵛᵉʳᶦᶠᶦᵉᵈ

Post by bill_g »

northland10 wrote: Fri Jul 19, 2024 2:45 pm Putting them up on a hill/mountain with other windblown pine trees can start out well...

cell tower 2012.jpg

But after 10 years, without proper cell pole tlc it can start looking a little gumpy.

cell tower 2023.jpg

I have to agree the first effort looked pretty good. But, time demonstrated how badly the plastic/metal/fiberglass fake limbs do in weather. It's an imperfect solution. If people would just quit using their phones, it wouldn't be a problem at all. :)
northland10
Verified: ✅ I'm me.

Post by northland10 »

bill_g wrote: Fri Jul 19, 2024 7:55 pm
northland10 wrote: Fri Jul 19, 2024 2:45 pm Putting them up on a hill/mountain with other windblown pine trees can start out well...

cell tower 2012.jpg

cell tower 2023.jpg

I have to agree the first effort looked pretty good. But, time demonstrated how badly the plastic/metal/fiberglass fake limbs do in weather. It's an imperfect solution. If people would just quit using their phones, it wouldn't be a problem at all. :)
There was a spot north of there where I was not using my phone. More accurately, Android Auto was not using my phone, or at least the street map.
101010 :towel:
bill_g

Post by bill_g »

👁️👁️👁️👁️👁️👁️👁️👁️👁️👁️👁️👁️👁️👁️👁️👁️👁️👁️👁️👁️👁️👁️👁️👁️👁️👁️👁️👁️👁️👁️👁️👁️👁️👁️👁️👁️👁️👁️👁️

Saving a page of red eye emogis for future use. Help yourself. I've got good connections.
RTH10260
Verified: ✔️ Eurobot

Post by RTH10260 »

bill_g wrote: Fri Jul 19, 2024 7:55 pm :snippity:
I have to agree the first effort looked pretty good. But, time demonstrated how badly the plastic/metal/fiberglass fake limbs do in weather radio waves. It's an imperfect solution. If people would just quit using their phones, it wouldn't be a problem at all. :)
FIFY as for the next conspiracy theory - the trees are loosing their leaves and limbs and some humans their minds :twisted:
bill_g

Post by bill_g »

RTH10260 wrote: Fri Jul 19, 2024 9:07 pm
FIFY as for the next conspiracy theory - the trees are loosing their leaves and limbs and some humans their minds :twisted:
You know, I always feel bad for the people that really believe that. They are quite sincere in their concern for what radio energy does to all creatures including humans.
bill_g

Post by bill_g »

My brother and I made a day trip to the coast yesterday. Destination - Cape Disappointment at the mouth of the Columbia. It did not fail to live up to it's name. We arrived just after noon to hike to one of the lighthouses, and it was completely socked in with heavy fog. Visability was barely a few hundred feet. It was a warm summer day, clear skies, a little muggy, and we drove into fog as soon as we entered the state park. The air was immediately cooler with a light rain of condensed water dripping from the trees. That felt pleasant, but you couldn't see a thing. So, we drove to the north jetty, and climbed up the massive man-made stack of boulders. Wear good shoes and seek your inner mountain goat because the potential ankle breakers were all around you.

BeastofBourbon

Post by BeastofBourbon »

Nice photos. I hope you had a nice time with your brother.

Do you know what the barge-with-a-crane thing is in your 3rd photo? It looks like there are remnants of a dock or something in the water closer to shore. I recall seeing a few areas of decommissioned docks around Astoria when we've been there. And there's a fancy-shmancy hotel built on one one of them that we stayed at. Can't recall the name of it, offhand.
bill_g

Post by bill_g »

BeastofBourbon wrote: Fri Aug 09, 2024 11:08 am Nice photos. I hope you had a nice time with your brother.

Do you know what the barge-with-a-crane thing is in your 3rd photo? It looks like there are remnants of a dock or something in the water closer to shore. I recall seeing a few areas of decommissioned docks around Astoria when we've been there. And there's a fancy-shmancy hotel built on one one of them that we stayed at. Can't recall the name of it, offhand.
We did enjoy our day trip together. Lots of windshield time to talk about everything. He's been hiking and biking OR and WA for decades, but he's never been to Cape D. We took Hwy 30 to Astoria which passes the decommissioned Trojan site. He's been there a few times for the trail system they have now. We stopped in to visit the one armed goose that lives year round on the cooling ponds. It's still there, and it almost immediately challenged us when we approached the pond he was in. I thought Canadian geese were big. This is a Mongolean and it's twice the size. It came within a couple yards, and then stood there "talking" to us for a bit. We think he wanted food, but we didn't have anything goose appropriate. A Canadian and three Swans were in his entourage, but they stayed near the shore. We gawked at them, and they gawked at us.

That boat is one of the river dredges. It keeps the shipping navigation channel open from Astoria to Portland. It was the only ship in the water yesterday. We saw a couple private fishing craft out there, but no commercial boats, no oil tankers, and no cargo transports. Very quiet on the water. The pilings are leftover from long ago. I don't know the story behind all of them, but there are lots of them close to shore, and out on several sand bars on the river. I can only imagine the hazard they present to big and small craft. Shoot - they don't even try to haul away the barges that are run ashore. They are part of the flotsum the tide brings in. It's seems like once something is in the water, it stays there forever.
Maybenaut
Verified: ✅✅

Post by Maybenaut »

That’s where the Coast Guard’s National Motor Lifeboat School is. The surf over the Columbia River bar is some of the most dangerous in the country.
"Hey! We left this England place because it was bogus, and if we don't get some cool rules ourselves, pronto, we'll just be bogus too!" -- Thomas Jefferson
bill_g

Post by bill_g »

Maybenaut wrote: Fri Aug 09, 2024 12:00 pm That’s where the Coast Guard’s National Motor Lifeboat School is. The surf over the Columbia River bar is some of the most dangerous in the country.
Yes it is. The CG station is on the leeward side of the cape in the lighthouse photos. The main gate is on the lighthouse approach road.
bill_g

Post by bill_g »

Oh Joy! Further adventures on the coast yesterday. This trip was professional - part of a scheduled equipment upgrade at four public safety sites in Tillamook Co. I love going to each of them because of the beauty, and the challenge. We get paid to go four wheeling. Is there a better job than that? Yesterday was a gorgeous day. Absolute Goldilocks conditions. Clear skies, light wind, warm but not hot.

Perfect for us, and perfect for hikers. With a holiday weekend coming up, and being the last gasp of Summer, the public was out in full force. They were actually something we had to be careful about as we rolled through the woods. People like paths and roads. It's easier than hiking through the thick. And once we're on site, it's not unusual for people to walk up curious about a mysterious accumulation of manmade industrial junk at the top of a mountain.

It's not unusual to have to rescue someone up there either. That's what happened yesterday. 2000ft is not that far to walk. It's not even a mile. But, when it's 2000ft up, it can kick your butt as you ascend by dirt paths, rocky trails, over fallen trees, and through snags that tear at your clothing. A mother / daughter pair approached us in shorts, tank tops, open toe sandals, phones in hand. No water. No jackets for the cooler elevations. Scratched to hell. Way out of their element, and Mom had signs of heat exhaustion.

I've got first aid training, but one our crew was an EMT in a past life. I brought my kit with the portable blood pressure machine, pulse oximeter, plenty of water, a bottle of Pedialyte, salt tabs, aspirin and other OTC, towels, blanket, bandages, ointments, etc. After some accidents years ago, I totally nerded out on this rescue bag. I even have a tarp litter with woven nylon straps and handles that rolls up smaller than a tent. Only had to use it once. Didn't need it yesterday, but it became a good ground cover for us to get Mom to lay down.

Mom was 50 something, and daughter was 30's. They looked fit. They were just unprepared. Anyone who could climb this hill in sandals is in pretty good condition. The ancients did it with less, and no gps. So, we'll just say they were honoring the past. Some electrolytes, plenty of water, some Fritos (salt and carbs), an aspirin (blood thinner), our jackets, some time to rest, and they were ready to rock on. But, I insisted we drive them downhill to the trailhead parking. They didn't decline it. Our crew cabs seat four when we empty the backseat. Plenty of room.

And by the time our guy got back, we were done with our work ready to decend and head out. A Good Day. Everyone went home safe and sound. And we got another story to add to the collection of a lifetime in the woods. We stopped by the cheese factory to celebrate. My treat.
Foggy
Dick Tater
Verified: Inventor of flag baseball

Post by Foggy »

Good story. :thumbsup:
Don't mind me, I just fell out of a coconut tree. 🥥🌴
bill_g

Post by bill_g »

Thanks. It's one more pearl on the necklace. I've got a list ...

I've brought hikers down off Mt Hood in the summer when there's no snow and far fewer people around.

We got a guy's truck unstuck from a ditch out by T-Point (Triangulation Point) in the Tillamook Forest 30 miles from anywhere.

We did a water rescue while addressing problems aboard the dredge.

Brought a crashed motorcyclist off South Saddle.

Drove a retired couple traveling from New York that broke down on the highway in the Winter out by the John Day Dam. Took them to Biggs Jct to meet a deputy who got them to The Dalles.

Brought my SAR deputy back to Cascade Locks after he cracked up his snow mobile on our way back from Mt Defiance.

Brought one of our own guys down from Goat Mtn (Estacada / Colton area) after his fall restraint worked and then slammed him into the steel. People don't bounce very good.

Mrs and I rendered aid to a woman having a heart attack while we were driving back from Mt Saint Helens.

Towed a guy and his truck to Redmond out of the sage brush where we came across him.

Did a water rescue in Lake Huron during a fishing trip in Michigan. Rip tides had sucked two young women further out, and they couldn't swim back. Thankfully we had a canoe.

Stabilized a driver stuck in her car when a tree jumped out in front of her as she traveled from Seaside on Hwy 26 faster than the posted limit, and probably a higher blood alcohol than allowed.

Helped a family on 101 just North of Hebo when a BBQ escaped from the truck in front of them. It tried to join Mom and Dad in the front seat.

People with broken legs trying to change a flat. Families and truckers broke down on the road a long way to the next town, and no other traffic to be seen for hours. A lady with ALZ that shows up on our porch with her panties on her head. We never adopted a cat or dog - they found us.

I'm told most people go through Life and never encounter anything like this. I'm just going someplace, and this all happened in front of me. I didn't have a choice really. I am where I am supposed to be I guess.
bill_g

Post by bill_g »

File this under Things That Make You Chuckle -

As if the Universe is trying to say Attaboy, in the mail today was a real authentic Certificate of Gratitude for being a Good Samaritan from the Edmundite Missions of Selma AL. I will be remembered at a Special Mass at Our Lady Queen of Peace Catholic Church Wednesday Sept 25 (just three shopping months from Christmas!).

Never heard of them.

Prolly pulled my name from a mailing list. I get a ton of Catholic swag in the mail. In fact I just got another rosary in the mail last week. Clearly my name gets passed around. I get stuff from America Needs Fatima, and from what I've learned America does NOT need America Needs Fatima. Fatima herself might be okay, but her followers need an invite out the door with a slap on the ass as they depart. Same with Epoch News. At least it composts well. Shred it up, wet it, and add it with equal parts yard debris and kitchen waste. It's a great source of carbon.

As for the Edmundite Mission, their certificate was accompanied by a donation slip, and they weren't shy about asking for $100, $200, $500 and more. Nope. This will get round filed and recycled as chub fuel at the transfer station. The two page letter, certificate, donation slip, and envelope will briefly yield their BTU's to power the garbage plant before they pass through the big chimney in the sky. Buh-bye.

But, your letter did make me smile.
Maybenaut
Verified: ✅✅

Post by Maybenaut »

:bighug:
"Hey! We left this England place because it was bogus, and if we don't get some cool rules ourselves, pronto, we'll just be bogus too!" -- Thomas Jefferson
bill_g

Post by bill_g »

Add retrieving the neighbor's dog to my list.

I keep the back door propped open for the cat. The weather is nice. It's actually cooler outside than inside. Breezes through the house are welcome. But, it also means Tinker Bell, an 8mo red/brown Pom belonging to my golf pro friend came over for a visit followed two minutes behind by my 87yo friend. Tinker is younger and faster than both of us, and she relished the freedom of the World outside the fenced backyard. And as fascinating as my house is, when Mom showed up, it was time to scoot. So now we got to wander the other neighbors as Tink explored everyone's backyard. She got about four houses away from home when things became unfamiliar and scary. That's when she plopped in a drive and waited for us. Even then she considered another run before running into my arms instead of hers. Okay. Going home. We got some quality time.

Now I'm wondering where the cat skedaddled to when Tink came busting in. It's dusk and the monsters come out after dark. Time to tuck the cat in.
Tiredretiredlawyer
Verified: ✅🐴🐎🦄🌻5000 posts and counting

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer »

I love your stories and Oregon!
"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

Tiredretiredlawyer wrote: Thu Aug 29, 2024 10:57 am I love your stories and Oregon!
One of my favorite states, and I've been to all of them. Oregon, many times.
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
bill_g

Post by bill_g »

Tiredretiredlawyer wrote: Thu Aug 29, 2024 10:57 am I love your stories and Oregon!
AndyinPA wrote: Thu Aug 29, 2024 12:53 pm One of my favorite states, and I've been to all of them. Oregon, many times.
Thanks. I love that you love it. I have enjoyed our life in Oregon. Florida - oh hell no. Michigan - meh. Wisconsin (Mrs' stomping ground) - meh. We treaded water. We stayed alive. Oregon was a good move for us.
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

I might be back later in the fall, to Portland. I'm trying to get my act together for a late fall, early winter around-the-country Amtrak trip. Going on arrival and departure times, Portland is a good stopping point on the Coast Starlight. I'd stay for just a day or two, somewhere around the station. Then, I'd catch the train back down to Sacramento. I don't want any layovers where the train either arrives or departs in the middle of the night, traveling alone.

I tried to set this up last winter, but couldn't manage it with all that was going on. But the weather in the mountains was pretty rough, so it was probably just as well. I'm missing a train trip. We usually did at least once a year. I did take my granddaugher to NYC, which is about an eight-hour trip. That helped. :biggrin:
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
bill_g

Post by bill_g »

Keep us posted on your itinerary. We can put together a Fogbow-PDX Meet. We will have entered the Annual Rain Festival by then. Natives won't need their SAD drugs yet, but the paint stores will most definitely be out of gray color sample fans. I'll see what I can rustle up for you when shopping this week since it's high season to get a fresh one right now. The pocket size ones are all you need to tell if today is a Cool Ash, Light Pewter, Driftwood, or Dorian Gray.

If you're lucky, a seasonal storm will blow in. We could go to the beach and lean into the wind to see how far it will hold you up. You won't need sunglasses, but you will want some eye protection against the blistering rain. Ever since covid, a lot of people prefer the full clear face shield. Plenty of those around. It's not sexy, but staying warm and dry never really follows fashion. Nobody is judging.

Return to “Introduce Yourself”