Hijack This Thread

bill_g
Verified: ✅ Checked Republic ✓ ᵛᵉʳᶦᶠᶦᵉᵈ

Hijack This Thread

Post by bill_g »

Gathers of the famdamnly can be interesting.
neonzx
Verified: 🤩✅✅✅✅✅🤩

Hijack This Thread

Post by neonzx »

MsDaisy 2 wrote: Wed Aug 28, 2024 10:19 am Great news! My sister-in-law & her husband will be coming across the pond to Virginia on 9/16 and the cousins are coming down from Philly. The house will be full and all of them will be talking at the same time! :lol:
Sounds like potential mass chaos. :biggrin:

Have fun!!
Rolodex

Hijack This Thread

Post by Rolodex »

Depending on the family, that could be great fun or I'd schedule my knee replacement surgery that week.
Do the right thing. It will gratify some people and astonish the rest. - Mark Twain
p0rtia

Hijack This Thread

Post by p0rtia »

Yay! I'm doing a family get-together too, in a few weeks. All but one of the three generations will be there. Of course the one who can't make it is my special fave--but he's in NYC. Law school (!).
MsDaisy 2
Occupation: Retired Medic and a Grandma (AKA Moppie) until I die
Verified:

Hijack This Thread

Post by MsDaisy 2 »

p0rtia wrote: Wed Aug 28, 2024 11:44 am Yay! I'm doing a family get-together too, in a few weeks. All but one of the three generations will be there. Of course the one who can't make it is my special fave--but he's in NYC. Law school (!).
There's always FaceTime! :thumbsup:
MN-Skeptic

Hijack This Thread

Post by MN-Skeptic »

My power just came back on... YAY! It went out Monday evening and they predicted I would have it by noon tomorrow. I was in the process of throwing away stuff from my freezer when the lights came back on. A niece texted me this morning asking if I wanted to go out for supper with her and her husband tonight so this is a great day!
Tim Walz’ Golden Rule: Mind your own damn business!
RVInit

Hijack This Thread

Post by RVInit »

Rolodex wrote: Wed Aug 28, 2024 11:31 am Depending on the family, that could be great fun or I'd schedule my knee replacement surgery that week.
:rotflmao:
"It actually doesn't take much to be considered a difficult woman. That's why there are so many of us."

--Jane Goodall
Kendra

Hijack This Thread

Post by Kendra »

https://www.king5.com/article/news/crim ... 83e24f6d11
DNA evidence leads to arrest in 44-year-old cold case murder in Kent
These cold case detectives are amazing. :bighug:
Foggy
Dick Tater
Verified: grumpy ol' geezer

Hijack This Thread

Post by Foggy »

I have indisputable evidence, beyond a reasonable doubt, that my left foot is half an inch longer than my right foot. That's 1.25 cm in certain civilized countries. Ol' Wifehorn agrees and says "That's weird" so she's a big help. :towel:
I'm Foggy and I forget if I approved this message.
Dave from down under

Hijack This Thread

Post by Dave from down under »

Just wondering if the following products would sell in your bit of the world…

“Start you bastard!” - engine starting spray for mowers etc

“Die you bastard!” - wasp killer spray
RTH10260
Verified: ✔️ Eurobot

Hijack This Thread

Post by RTH10260 »

This man saved his town from deadly floodwaters. So why did the US government try to stop him?
Windell Curole built a vast levee to protect his district from disappearing into the ocean – despite federal resistance to his plan. Had he listened to officials, he says, ‘we wouldn’t have a community’

By Katie Thornton with photographs by Thalía Juárez
Wed 28 Aug 2024 16.00 CEST

On 29 August 2021, as Hurricane Ida made landfall on Louisiana’s Gulf coast, 69-year-old Windell Curole sought refuge with others at the three-story Lady of the Sea hospital in Galliano, located 90 minutes south-west of New Orleans.

As Curole looked out the window, watching Ida’s rain hammer the grass, a question tormented him: would the levees that encircled his community be tall enough to hold back the water that was surging toward them?

To Curole, a lifelong resident of the area, the question was personal. Since he was primarily responsible for the levees’ existence, it was political, too. If I can see green out there tomorrow morning, he thought to himself, we’re good.

Across the surrounding bayou communities, home to several hundred thousand, Ida’s gale-force winds blew out windows and ripped apart buildings. Outside the hospital window, sheets of black tar paper began to whip across the sky. “Get back!” a nurse yelled from behind him. Running into the hallway, Curole realized that the airborne material was the hospital’s roof, a portion of which had peeled away in the storm.

Communication went out around the region. Curole slept on a hospital bed on the second floor. It would take 24 hours for him and his wife to inform one another that they were alive, and another month before their power came back on.
They have rules coming in from Washington, but they’ve never had marsh between their toes
Windell Curole
This is what “land loss” – an abstract concept to many Americans – looks like. Southern Louisiana is among the fastest-disappearing land masses in the world, with an area about the size of Manhattan vanishing every year. Sometimes the erasure happens gradually, as our warming planet melts ice caps, and the geologically young soil of the Gulf of Mexico compresses under its own weight and sinks into the sea. Other times it happens cataclysmically, as it did that day in 2021, when Ida tore out an estimated 106 sq miles (275 sq km) of land, devouring in an afternoon what a rising sea would have taken years to dissolve.

It wasn’t that long ago that southern Louisiana held a quarter of the world’s wetlands, whose rich soils and teeming grassy waters not only fueled the area’s booming fishing industry, but also functioned as natural hurricane protection that could absorb storm surges like a sponge. But small towns and villages are the new frontlines of weather disaster. Everything from muddy swamps to Main Streets are subsumed by the water.

https://www.theguardian.com/environment ... levee-gulf
bill_g

Hijack This Thread

Post by bill_g »

Attachments
fogbow in landsat.jpg
fogbow in landsat.jpg (396.83 KiB) Viewed 1439 times
keith
Occupation: Retired Computer Systems Analyst Project Manager Super Coder
Verified: ✅lunatic

Hijack This Thread

Post by keith »

:thumbsup: COOL
Be assured that a walk through the ocean of most souls Would scarcely get your feet wet
Foggy
Dick Tater
Verified: grumpy ol' geezer

Hijack This Thread

Post by Foggy »

:like:
I'm Foggy and I forget if I approved this message.
AndyinPA
Verified:

Hijack This Thread

Post by AndyinPA »

:thumbsup:
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
Mrich

Hijack This Thread

Post by Mrich »

bill_g wrote: Sat Aug 31, 2024 8:47 am Spell your name with Landsat imagery.
The first time I did it I used mixed case and got 7 images back, which is odd since my name has 5 letters. But I retried using all caps, and it worked, and the results came back using a cap for the first letter only and small letters for the rest.
jez
Verified: ✅ Medicated

Hijack This Thread

Post by jez »

Found my caffeine limit.

Two Venti medium roasts and a Venti mocha with 6 shots of espresso.

I'm actually a little bit shaky.
“What is better ? to be born good or to overcome your evil nature through great effort ?”

~Paarthurnax
bill_g

Hijack This Thread

Post by bill_g »

Sounds like a good time to get your laundry and dishes caught up! 8-)
neonzx
Verified: 🤩✅✅✅✅✅🤩

Hijack This Thread

Post by neonzx »

jez wrote: Sun Sep 01, 2024 3:40 pm Found my caffeine limit.

No kidding. I'd be bouncing off the walls.
MsDaisy 2
Occupation: Retired Medic and a Grandma (AKA Moppie) until I die
Verified:

Hijack This Thread

Post by MsDaisy 2 »

Dave from down under wrote: Thu Aug 29, 2024 8:05 am Just wondering if the following products would sell in your bit of the world…

“Start you bastard!” - engine starting spray for mowers etc

“Die you bastard!” - wasp killer spray
I'd buy Die you bastard. This morning I killed a European hornet in the dog room with a can of Wasp spray. I've been stung twice by those nasty fucking little bastards. Once on the back of the head over by the tractor shed and the second one by a little bastard who had gotten into one of my yard boots which I put on every time I go out into the yard. Now I always bang my boots out before putting them on. We live in a very rural area, no telling what might turn up here. Much better to be safe than sorry. :?
Dave from down under

Hijack This Thread

Post by Dave from down under »

It’s never fun to put your foot in a boot and hear and feel the carapace of a large spider crumple…

European wasps.. hate them!
And they are hard to kill!

I was filleting a fish outside when one decided to have its share… I hit it with a chopping board… it looked up at me and I backed away…
Tiredretiredlawyer
Verified: ✅🐴🐎🦄🌻5000 posts and counting

Hijack This Thread

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer »

"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.
qbawl

Hijack This Thread

Post by qbawl »

Tiredretiredlawyer wrote: Mon Sep 02, 2024 12:15 pm

I think I see the problem. Try switching to dark roast.
Tiredretiredlawyer
Verified: ✅🐴🐎🦄🌻5000 posts and counting

Hijack This Thread

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer »

"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.
pipistrelle

Hijack This Thread

Post by pipistrelle »

I drank a half dozen cups of coffee in college right before going to my gym attendant job. (This was back when you made your own regular Folger's/Maxwell House type coffee yourself, not bought from one of them fancy Starbucks places.) Everyone who came through made a comment ranging from, "Are you high?" to "You okay? Should I call Student Health?"

Return to “General Stuff”