Air Travel - Flying the Friendly Skies

Luke
Location: @orly_licious With Pete Buttigieg and the other "open and defiant homosexuals" --Bryan Fischer AFA

Post by Luke »

When very little, my parents and I flew back and forth from our family homebase in NJ to California where we moved in the early 70s. By 1973, we were flying to Asia to live in Taiwan. The 747s still had the upstairs piano lounge (and smoking), and everyone was dressed up and well-behaved. Dad's job got us 1st Class. I remember from LA, we had to fly to Anchorage, then Tokyo for a layover (will never forget they had Sesame Street in Japanese), then Taipei. I also remember competing with flight attendants to see who could carry more drinks on a tray (they usually won). Flying was so fun back then, I'm sorry so many younger people missed the time before they became lousy buses.

Luke Johnson 🇺🇸 @Orly_licious 10s

✈️ Terrific documentary with original footage: "The Golden Age of Flying: How it used to be in the 1950s & '60s! The allure of this bygone yesteryear, exploring what it was truly like onboard, both before and after the jet age." Luxurious & elegant.

https://x.com/Orly_licious/status/1798599201313657264
Lt Root Beer of the Mighty 699th. Fogbow 💙s titular Mama June in Fogbow's Favourite Show™ Mama June: From Not To Hot! Fogbow's Theme Song™ Edith Massey's "I Got The Evidence!" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C5jDHZd0JAg
Frater I*I
Verified: ✅Verified Devilish Hyena

Post by Frater I*I »

Luke wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2024 2:20 am I'm sorry so many younger people missed the time before they became lousy buses.

In aviation we call em Cattle Cars...
"He sewed his eyes shut because he is afraid to see, He tries to tell me what I put inside of me
He's got the answers to ease my curiosity, He dreamed a god up and called it Christianity"

Trent Reznor
MN-Skeptic

Post by MN-Skeptic »

Some folks here may not realize that, at one time, airline fares and routes were regulated by the federal government. The Airline Deregulation Act of 1978 removed that control. The aftermath was predictable, both good and bad.
Atticus Finch

Post by Atticus Finch »

I remember a time when passengers weren't refer to as luggage with an attitude.
You don't need religion to have morals. If you can't determine right from wrong then you lack empathy, not religion.
tek

Post by tek »

"self-loading freight'
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

I remember that time too. Service was great but airfares were very very high.
“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
northland10
Verified: ✅ I'm me.

Post by northland10 »

Volkonski wrote: Sat Jun 08, 2024 9:52 pm I remember that time too. Service was great but airfares were very very high.
Yep. While I despise much of the industry's stupidity now, we can't expect champagne service on a cheap beer ticket. Airlines gave folks what they wanted, cheap tickets.

When regulated, airlines had to find something beyond price and flight schedule convenience to attract customers.
101010 :towel:

Return to “General Stuff”