Women's History

Post by Kriselda Gray »

:lol: :lol: :lol:
AndyinPA
Verified:

Women's History

Post by AndyinPA »

https://www.theguardian.com/global-deve ... -un-report
Bias against women is as entrenched as it was a decade ago and gender equality progress has gone into reverse, according to a UN report.

Nine out of 10 people of all genders have a bias against women, found the Gender Social Norms Index, a figure unchanged from data collected more than a decade ago.

Published by the UN development programme on Monday, it found that half of people in 80 countries believe men make better political leaders, 40% believe men are better business executives and a quarter believe it is justified for men to beat their wives.

These figures, from data collected between 2017 and 2022, were largely unchanged from the previous GSNI report, published in 2020, which used data from 2005 to 2014.

“My expectation was that we would see some progress, because nine out of every 10, I mean, how can it get any worse?” said Pedro Conceição, head of UNDP’s human development report office. “And it was also a period in which we saw, for example, the #MeToo movement and a lot of visibility to the very shocking ways in which these bias norms affect women.

“Unfortunately, doing this exercise has been an experience of shock after shock. The first time that we released it, I was shocked with the magnitude [of biases], and this time around I was shocked with the lack of progress.”
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
AndyinPA
Verified:

Women's History

Post by AndyinPA »

Speaking of the above article:

https://www.theguardian.com/artanddesig ... oise-gilot
On the evening of Tuesday 6 June, it was announced that the artist Françoise Gilot had died. Having lived to the age of 101, she had a career that spanned a staggering eight decades – leaving behind 1,600 paintings and 3,600 works on paper. She was also the acclaimed author of internationally bestselling books, one recently reissued by New York Review Books Classics.

An artist from the get-go, Gilot declared at the age of 21 that she “felt painting was my whole life”, and her output ranges from portraits to landscapes, still lifes to collage. Often luminously coloured, her work uses angular shapes that intersect to make up a beach scene, a cityscape, a speeding comet or a mother and child. But she also turned to monochrome: her 1994 Aspects of Femininity challenged the multitudinous ways women are perceived, while her 1946 work Adam Forcing Eve to Eat an Apple had hard-edged lines in its re-examination of the Biblical tale, focusing on temptation, punishment and the blaming of women. Her work now features in the collections of the Met and MoMA in New York, as well as the Centre Pompidou in Paris. In 2021, her 1965 work Paloma à la Guitare fetched $1.3m at Sotheby’s.

Gilot, the daughter of a ceramicist mother and lawyer father, received a bachelor’s degree in philosophy at the Sorbonne, and another in English literature from Cambridge University. Although initially interested in law, she switched to art full time due to “security reasons”, after the Germans invaded Paris. Sadly, her early work disappeared after a cart carrying all her family’s possessions crashed during the war.

Her first exhibition took place in 1943, when she was just 22. Her first book, detailing the life of her artist-lover, was published in 1964, despite the former partner trying to block it on multiple occasions. Gilot was sharp and formidable. When Emma Brockes interviewed her for the Guardian in 2016, she called her “fierce and uncompromising”. In 2010, Gilot was named a member of the Légion d’Honneur.

But when it came to the headlines announcing her death, the media had other concerns. Instead of honouring and remembering her as the accomplished woman she was, The New York Times wrote: “Françoise Gilot, Artist in the Shadow of Picasso, Is Dead at 101.” The Guardian followed with “painter and muse to Picasso”; The Washington Post defined her as “celebrated artist, writer and muse to Picasso”; ARTNews wrote that she was an “Artist Who Fearlessly Chronicled Her Relationship with Picasso”.
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
RVInit

Women's History

Post by RVInit »

“A know-it-all is a person who knows everything except for how annoying he is.”

— Demetri Martin
Slim Cognito
Verified:

Women's History

Post by Slim Cognito »

COOL!
My Crested Yorkie, Gilda and her amazing hair.

ImageImageImage x4
Suranis

Women's History

Post by Suranis »

We Are
Building Something
Special!

Women of the Ancient World (WOAW) is a digital history resource and research forum aimed at investigating the lives of ancient Mediterranean and Near Eastern women in a new way.

Our project explores the ways in which holistic, graphic reconstruction advances our understanding of ancient women’s experiences beyond their representation by ancient men and their male interpreters.

Informed by texts, inscriptions, archaeological excavations, and ethnographies, graphic reconstructions serve as central expressions of our arguments.

Portraying women in situ makes evident what we can know about how they lived, and their roles in society. It also renders transparent the act of (re)constructing history.

This site features original illustrations and translations of primary sources accompanied by articles that explain our research and decision making. The visual format provides researchers and students a forum for employing a wealth of specialized research available today.

Our nod to the graphic novel storytelling genre invites a broad audience to the study of the ancient world, and the place of women within it.
https://woawhistory.com/
Hic sunt dracones
Tiredretiredlawyer
Verified: ✅🐴🐎🦄🌻5000 posts and counting

Women's History

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer »

COOOOOOOOL!!!!!
"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.
bill_g
Verified: ✅ Checked Republic ✓ ᵛᵉʳᶦᶠᶦᵉᵈ

Women's History

Post by bill_g »

Young women of the modern world -

keith
Occupation: Retired Computer Systems Analyst Project Manager Super Coder
Verified: ✅lunatic

Women's History

Post by keith »

bill_g wrote: Mon Sep 18, 2023 7:47 am Young women of the modern world -

[img]https:
//uploads.disquscdn.com/images/87933b9d80aa42326e6d9470c98cbaf178d361bba5380b416b1701f06ad8d3c9.gif[/img]
Ahh yes... the old "i meant to do that" dismount!
Be assured that a walk through the ocean of most souls Would scarcely get your feet wet
bill_g
Verified: ✅ Checked Republic ✓ ᵛᵉʳᶦᶠᶦᵉᵈ

Women's History

Post by bill_g »

keith wrote: Mon Sep 18, 2023 9:10 am

[img]https:
//uploads.disquscdn.com/images/87933b9d80aa42326e6d9470c98cbaf178d361bba5380b416b1701f06ad8d3c9.gif[/img]
I liked her ballet toes at the end. Icing on the cake.
Foggy
Dick Tater
Verified: as seen on qvc zombie apocalypse

Women's History

Post by Foggy »

There are a few guys who could do that, he cautiously mansplained. :mrgreen:
Never trust a llama with a knife and a sombrero.
RVInit

Women's History

Post by RVInit »

bill_g wrote: Mon Sep 18, 2023 9:34 am
keith wrote: Mon Sep 18, 2023 9:10 am

[img]https:
I liked her ballet toes at the end. Icing on the cake.
She is pretty awesome!
“A know-it-all is a person who knows everything except for how annoying he is.”

— Demetri Martin
John Thomas8

Women's History

Post by John Thomas8 »

Amelia Earhart giving a flying lesson, 1933

AndyinPA
Verified:

Women's History

Post by AndyinPA »

:lovestruck:
John Thomas8

Women's History

Post by John Thomas8 »

Epically cool (there's some very ugly youtoobers talking about her, I ain't posting that crap and getting them views):

Haley Van Voorhis' journey into college football history

https://www.espn.com/college-football/s ... ll-history

#10 in red:

Today interview:

Return to “U.S. Culture and Media”