POLL: Who Should Kamala Harris Choose as Her VP Now That President Biden Declined The Nomination? (If Nominee)

Who should Kamala Harris choose as her VP if President Biden steps down?

Josh Shapiro - PA Gov
22%
Pete Buttigieg - DOT Secretary
22%
Andy Beshear - KY Gov
9%
Roy Cooper - NC Gov
14%
Mark Kelly - AZ Sen
21%
Jared Polis - CO Gov
No votes
JB Pritzker - IL Gov
9%
Gavin Newsom & Gretchen Whitmer - Passed
2%
Other
2%
Only Ridin' With Biden - No Change
No votes

Total votes: 58

SuzieC
Verified:

POLL: Who Should Kamala Harris Choose as Her VP Now That President Biden Declined The Nomination? (If Nominee)

Post by SuzieC »

I like Kelly. Can Gov. Hobbs appoint his replacement?
Foggy
Dick Tater
Verified: Inventor of flag baseball

Post by Foggy »

If it's Kelly, won't that be red meat for the "coming for your guns" ammosexuals? He's a shooting victim too, of course. If my wife gets shot, do I not suffer enormously? Pure speculation, but...
I am living in a world far beyond the scope of my imagination. Every time the planet rotates, I wake up in a brand new world full of wonders.
p0rtia

Post by p0rtia »

SuzieC wrote: Tue Jul 23, 2024 10:54 am I like Kelly. Can Gov. Hobbs appoint his replacement?
I read somewhere (maybe here) that Hobbs does appoint the replacement, and that since he's not up for reelection for four years, it means the replacement would serve for four years, which would be a good thing--no immediate damage.

No verification for the above, however, so, grain of salt.
Dr. Ken

Post by Dr. Ken »

What's the upside with Walz? Minnesota has been a relatively safe state is it the hope that he would somehow bring MI and WI back into the fold as neighboring states? But wouldn't Whitmer have the same advantage?
ImageImagePhilly Boondoggle
MN-Skeptic

Post by MN-Skeptic »

Dr. Ken wrote: Tue Jul 23, 2024 11:27 am What's the upside with Walz? Minnesota has been a relatively safe state is it the hope that he would somehow bring MI and WI back into the fold as neighboring states? But wouldn't Whitmer have the same advantage?
As much as I love our governor, I was surprised to see his name on the list too. Yes, Minnesota is probably safe and I can't see Walz having any effect on Wisconsin or Michigan voters. But I do like Walz getting national exposure. He is a good guy.
Dr. Ken

Post by Dr. Ken »

At this point I think it's going to be Kelly or Cooper. Shapiro has already said he wants to do work for the people of Pennsylvania and he is only about a year into his term. Cooper has been in his role since 2017 and Kelly since 2020.
andersweinstein

Post by andersweinstein »

SuzieC wrote: Tue Jul 23, 2024 10:54 am I like Kelly. Can Gov. Hobbs appoint his replacement?
One source. He's a political podcaster, but it's the same info I'm seeing elsewhere.

p0rtia

Post by p0rtia »

Dr. Ken wrote: Tue Jul 23, 2024 11:37 am At this point I think it's going to be Kelly or Cooper.
Agreed.
Foggy
Dick Tater
Verified: Inventor of flag baseball

Post by Foggy »

Shapiro is 51 years old
Kelly is 60
Cooper is 67

I hate to say this, but Cooper didn't look good on the Tee Vee clip I watched.
I am living in a world far beyond the scope of my imagination. Every time the planet rotates, I wake up in a brand new world full of wonders.
sterngard friegen

Post by sterngard friegen »

It's turtles governors and senators all the way down.

No one is mentioning Mayor Pete. It's hard enough for a lot of people to vote for a woman and a woman of color at that. Her campaign knows that and is trying to win.

I am still with my vote for Josh Shapiro even though he is Jewish.

Kelly has his own Youtube site. He's competent but not inspiring.

https://www.youtube.com/SenMarkKelly

I found this Youtube from Shapiro yesterday.

He's really articulate and laser focused. (And, yes, he would be delighted to be VP Harris' running mate.)

If Shapiro is not the VP candidate I will be shocked.
Neither disbarred nor disciplined after representing President Barack Obama. :oldman:
Rolodex

Post by Rolodex »

Yeah I'm thinking Shapiro or Kelly. If they can appoint a D to fill Kelly's seat till 2026, that's a good thing. It's probably a hard lift to get D senators from AZ (although maybe Lake is so horrible she'll lose). I guess he'll bring sunbelt folks.

Shapiro would be replaced by the Lt gov, I guess. Is that someone who's kinda popular? PA will bring rustbelt folks, hopefully.

I think PA has more electors than AZ; idk if that's part of the calculus. I guess they need to do their oppo and be sure that there aren't weirdo things. Not that the cult won't attack any stupid thing (like Shapiro's being Jewish).

Not sure if a VP choice has ever made a difference (although maybe Pence brought people who had to hold their nose to vote for trump and only do so bc they always vote GOP, or as in my area, people have been taught that ALL Ds are baby-killing satanists who just want free stuff for lazy people).
Do the right thing. It will gratify some people and astonish the rest. - Mark Twain
bob

Post by bob »

RVInit wrote: Tue Jul 23, 2024 10:49 am Great choices, and smart to make an announcement about it.
Concur. Mostly governors (read executive experience), all from swing states.

It is a bit of a power play, as Harris isn't the officially the presumptive nominee, but it projects confidence to act as if she is. Normalization.

(Technically, Harris has no officially pledged delegates. But she apparently has sufficient confidence in the unofficial commitments.)
Image ImageImage
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

Josh Shapiro was in town yesterday. He was asked again about accepting an offer as VP. Before, he has said absolutely not. I noted he equivocated a little yesterday.
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
andersweinstein

Post by andersweinstein »

Rolodex wrote: Tue Jul 23, 2024 12:45 pm
Shapiro would be replaced by the Lt gov, I guess. Is that someone who's kinda popular? PA will bring rustbelt folks, hopefully.
Lt Gov is Austin Davis, 34 years old, African American, from Pittsburgh area, had served in PA legislature. Pretty low profile, I would say (compare Fetterman who had that office). I doubt most Pennsylvanians have strong opinions of him one way or another, beyond knowing he's the first African American in that position -- the attention in that race was at the top, Shapiro vs MAGA Doug Mastriano. If Shapiro exits, Davis would become PA's first Black governor at a young age.
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

Yep. He's from here, and I know little about him. He was not my rep. Also, in PA the governor and lieutenant governor are chosen and run separately. If Shapiro is offered and accepts for VP, I'll be bringing myself up to speed. I'm sure there are a lot of people in Western PA who would be happy to have a governor from this part of the state. People here have often felt that most are from the eastern side of the state and the western part has been somewhat ignored. I will say, though, that both Shapiro and his predecessor, Governor Wolfe, have been good for this part of the state. And, of course, we had Fetterman, who was very well known before he ever went to Harrisburg. He was very much proud and loud of being from here (not originally, though).

I feel conflicted about Shapiro. I love him in this position. I loved his as AG. He's doing great stuff here, and I'd be happy to continue to have him here. But my loss would be our country's gain.
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
Rolodex

Post by Rolodex »

AndyinPA wrote: Tue Jul 23, 2024 1:50 pm Yep. He's from here, and I know little about him. He was not my rep. Also, in PA the governor and lieutenant governor are chosen and run separately. If Shapiro is offered and accepts for VP, I'll be bringing myself up to speed. I'm sure there are a lot of people in Western PA who would be happy to have a governor from this part of the state. People here have often felt that most are from the eastern side of the state and the western part has been somewhat ignored. I will say, though, that both Shapiro and his predecessor, Governor Wolfe, have been good for this part of the state. And, of course, we had Fetterman, who was very well known before he ever went to Harrisburg. He was very much proud and loud of being from here (not originally, though).

I feel conflicted about Shapiro. I love him in this position. I loved his as AG. He's doing great stuff here, and I'd be happy to continue to have him here. But my loss would be our country's gain.
We also elect our Gov and Lt Gov in separate races.
So, I wonder what happens if your lt gov become gov because Shapiro leaves. Will there be a special election? I know you hate to lose Shapiro but it sounds like the lt gov did well enough to win that position and hasn't blown anything up yet.

I said in my earlier post that Shapiro brings rust belt/PA voters. But... is that really true? Does a VP pick affect elections in specific geographical areas? Kennedy picked LBJ bc Texas/south, but LBJ turned out to be way more liberal than JFK was.
Do the right thing. It will gratify some people and astonish the rest. - Mark Twain
Dr. Ken

Post by Dr. Ken »

Rolodex wrote: Tue Jul 23, 2024 2:25 pm
AndyinPA wrote: Tue Jul 23, 2024 1:50 pm Yep. He's from here, and I know little about him. He was not my rep. Also, in PA the governor and lieutenant governor are chosen and run separately. If Shapiro is offered and accepts for VP, I'll be bringing myself up to speed. I'm sure there are a lot of people in Western PA who would be happy to have a governor from this part of the state. People here have often felt that most are from the eastern side of the state and the western part has been somewhat ignored. I will say, though, that both Shapiro and his predecessor, Governor Wolfe, have been good for this part of the state. And, of course, we had Fetterman, who was very well known before he ever went to Harrisburg. He was very much proud and loud of being from here (not originally, though).

We also elect our Gov and Lt Gov in separate races.
So, I wonder what happens if your lt gov become gov because Shapiro leaves. Will there be a special election? I know you hate to lose Shapiro but it sounds like the lt gov did well enough to win that position and hasn't blown anything up yet.

I said in my earlier post that Shapiro brings rust belt/PA voters. But... is that really true? Does a VP pick affect elections in specific geographical areas? Kennedy picked LBJ bc Texas/south, but LBJ turned out to be way more liberal than JFK was.
It really depends. Right now if Davis took over for Governor it would be the President Pro Tempore of the Senate a republican who would take over as LT Governor. However, if the democrats flip 3 senate seats and win the white house then Davis would be able to vote with the new senate to replace the president pro tempore and the lt governor position. New senate is seated before the inauguration. If the Democrats can pull off a miracle and flip the state senate a new president pro tempore can be appointed by the new majority before Shapiro takes over as VP and before Davis becomes governor. In turn that president pro tempore would become Lt Governor and then they can appoint another president pro tempore.
bob

Post by bob »

Dr. Ken wrote: Tue Jul 23, 2024 2:39 pm It really depends. Right now if Davis took over for Governor it would be the President Pro Tempore of the Senate a republican who would take over as LT Governor. However, if the democrats flip 3 senate seats and win the white house then Davis would be able to vote with the new senate to replace the president pro tempore and the lt governor position. Inauguration takes place before the seating of the new PA senate.
Does Pennsylvania have a resign-to-run law? (I'm guessing no.)

So, if nominated, Shapiro could stay on as governor, resign post-election, Davis would become the new governor, and a new state senate's president pro tempore would become the lieutenant governor. Yes?
Image ImageImage
Dr. Ken

Post by Dr. Ken »

bob wrote: Tue Jul 23, 2024 2:53 pm
Dr. Ken wrote: Tue Jul 23, 2024 2:39 pm It really depends. Right now if Davis took over for Governor it would be the President Pro Tempore of the Senate a republican who would take over as LT Governor. However, if the democrats flip 3 senate seats and win the white house then Davis would be able to vote with the new senate to replace the president pro tempore and the lt governor position. Inauguration takes place before the seating of the new PA senate.
Does Pennsylvania have a resign-to-run law? (I'm guessing no.)

So, if nominated, Shapiro could stay on as governor, resign post-election, Davis would become the new governor, and a new state senate's president pro tempore would become the lieutenant governor. Yes?
Which right now is a republican. But this would depend on what happens in the election and if the democrats can swing the state senate. They need 3 seats. New senate is seated weeks before the inauguration. I'm updating what I said above.
bob

Post by bob »

Dr. Ken wrote: Tue Jul 23, 2024 3:06 pm Which right now is a republican. But this would depend on what happens in the election and if the democrats can swing the state senate. They need 3 seats. New senate is seated weeks before the inauguration. I'm updating what I said above.
Gotcha. Sounds like, if Shapiro is nominated, Harris-Shapiro wins, and the state senate flips, Shapiro could delay his resignation* until the new senate is seated, and the new senate's new PTP would become the new LG.

* Recalling, of course, how much the sore losers whined when Harris delayed her Senate resignation. :roll:
Image ImageImage
Dr. Ken

Post by Dr. Ken »

bob wrote: Tue Jul 23, 2024 3:15 pm
Dr. Ken wrote: Tue Jul 23, 2024 3:06 pm Which right now is a republican. But this would depend on what happens in the election and if the democrats can swing the state senate. They need 3 seats. New senate is seated weeks before the inauguration. I'm updating what I said above.
Gotcha. Sounds like, if Shapiro is nominated, Harris-Shapiro wins, and the state senate flips, Shapiro could delay his resignation* until the new senate is seated, and the new senate's new PTP would become the new LG.

* Recalling, of course, how much the sore losers whined when Harris delayed her Senate resignation. :roll:
Exactly. He could stall his resignation until right before inauguration.

Kamala Harris didn't resign until 2 days before the inauguration
https://www.cnn.com/2021/01/18/politics ... index.html
New Turtle

Post by New Turtle »

They didn't need Pete on the vetting list because he's already been through it.
Suranis

Post by Suranis »

Hokay, I guess I'm the guy once again in the horrible position of having to say something because no-one else has the balls to (though Stern hinted at it above) - Putting Mayor Pete on the ticket would be a major mistake.

Yes, it's because of the Ghay.

If you put 2 people with controversial backgrounds on a ticket you are going to be hit from both sides. It will be seen as the worst form of social engineering. It will be called the ultimate Affirmative Action ticket. People will say with considerable justification that there is no way that he would be on the ticket if it wasn't for his sexuality. He will become the conversation.

PLUS, you will have the closet homophobes on the left acting up. Oh nothing will be said, they are too afraid of the Mob for that. But you will suddenly find that the enthusiasm for Harris that you are seeing right now will mysteriously go away. People will stop showing up to volunteer, they will stop donating money, they will stop defending on social media. The campaign will suddenly run out of Oxygen.

And the thing about Pete is that he his whole schtick is that he a cause celebre of the left. Once you strip away the positive discrimination because of the ghey, he does not bring much. He really isn't that impressive. He is a good speaker in a room full of good speakers. People gush about him because he is homosexual, but without the rose tinted glasses and desperately willing him to be fantastic because he has to be, he is just not that exceptional. He's never particularly impressed me at all. He's a better VP pick than Vance is, but that's not saying much.

And, I'm sorry, I know some people want a Black Asian Satanist Homosexual Cannibal Lesbian Indian Polyamorous Nativeamerican Trans Smurf NoWhitesPlease ticket to force America to be tolerant and to stick it to THOSE PEOPLE. But when you are in an election to stop Fascists wrecking your country you don't want to start pissing voters off, because they WILL vote if you do.

IN short, it would be an unnecessary own goal with very little upside, and I hope the team are smart enough to avoid driving into a sink hole of their own creation.

The need someone competent, impressive, and without Social Justice Warrior baggage on the Ticket with Harris. She will have to deal with enough crap, no need to add to it with obvious stuff.

This will be my only comment on here because besides Pete being a mistake I really have no idea who would be a good pick. I don't know down ballot stuff at all.
Hic sunt dracones

Return to “US President”