George Santos (R-NY) and his imaginative (but dishonest) résumé

Trying to make sense of a crazy world, with limited success mostly
RTH10260
Verified: ✔️ Eurobot

Post by RTH10260 »

Gregg wrote: Tue Feb 14, 2023 8:31 pm
neonzx wrote: Mon Feb 13, 2023 12:42 pm So... another day another Kitara Santos scandal.

I've never misplaced $365k. Just sayin'.
I did once, but we found it under the couch in the family room.
You're lucky the dogs didn't eat the homework :lol:
Tiredretiredlawyer
Verified: ✅🐴🐎🦄🌻5000 posts and counting

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer »

qbawl: Saw it at release on a BIG Cinema screen.
I did too! :biggrin:
"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.
Dr. Ken

Post by Dr. Ken »

ImageImagePhilly Boondoggle
Gregg

Post by Gregg »

RTH10260 wrote: Tue Feb 14, 2023 10:22 pm
Gregg wrote: Tue Feb 14, 2023 8:31 pm
neonzx wrote: Mon Feb 13, 2023 12:42 pm So... another day another Kitara Santos scandal.

I've never misplaced $365k. Just sayin'.
I did once, but we found it under the couch in the family room.
You're lucky the dogs didn't eat the homework :lol:

True Science Fact;

When she was just a puppy, Chili Dog once woke me up with a little less than half of a check for ~$65,000 her mouth. She was so proud she learned to get up on my desk.
Supreme Commander, Imperial Illuminati Air Force
:dog:

You don't have to consent, but I'm gonna tase you anyway.
bill_g
Verified: ✅ Checked Republic ✓ ᵛᵉʳᶦᶠᶦᵉᵈ

Post by bill_g »

Hence the phrase sixty four thousand dollar smile.
Gregg

Post by Gregg »

bill_g wrote: Wed Feb 15, 2023 6:55 pm Hence the phrase sixty four thousand dollar smile.
Hence the phrase "I almost took her to dinner at a Korean restaurant". :rotflmao:

Phoenix520
Verified:

Post by Phoenix520 »

That’s a good threat. Ima use that on Floyd next time he misbehaves.
RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 »

George Santos Gets Warning to Tell Truth About His Campaign Finances

Laura Davison
Wed, February 15, 2023 at 8:12 PM GMT+1

(Bloomberg) -- The Federal Election Commission is warning Representative George Santos to substantiate who is in charge of his campaign’s finances — or risk a ban on raising or spending any money.

The FEC sent a letter to Santos asking him to file paperwork to list the treasurer of his campaign, after his previous one resigned in January. The letter adds to confusion over who’s in charge of the embattled New York Republican’s campaign accounts.

“Failure to appoint a treasurer will result in the inability of the committee to accept contributions and make disbursements,” according to the letter dated Tuesday.

Santos, who is best known for fabricating much of his resume, is facing a series of inquiries from federal and local authorities over his campaign’s expenditures, the sources of his income and lies he’s told about his background.

The FEC began questioning who was running Santos’s campaign finances after his previous treasurer Nancy Marks abruptly resigned last month. The campaign then filed a statement listing Thomas Datwyler, a Wisconsin-based compliance professional, as its current treasurer, though Datwyler’s attorney said he had turned down the job.

Santos’s most recent campaign finance report listed an Andrew Olson as its treasurer. No one by that name has ever served as a campaign treasurer, FEC records show. The campaign never provided an address or contact information for Olson, as required by law.

This letter follows a late January FEC inquiry to Datwyler asking why the Santos campaign listed him as treasurer, a job he denies doing.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/george-santo ... 20203.html
(original: Bloomberg)
Dave from down under

Post by Dave from down under »

George Andrew Olson Santos
raison de arizona
Verified: ✔️ he/him/his

Post by raison de arizona »

“Stop! Or we’ll yell stop again!”

What’s the FEC going to do if he thumbs his nose at them?
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
Dave from down under

Post by Dave from down under »

raison de arizona wrote: Thu Feb 16, 2023 12:20 am “Stop! Or we’ll yell stop again!”

What’s the FEC going to do if he thumbs his nose at them?
:fingerwag:
Ben-Prime
Verified: ✅MamaSaysI'mBonaFide

Post by Ben-Prime »

Dave from down under wrote: Thu Feb 16, 2023 12:15 am George Andrew Olson Santos
He's Olson-ish.
But the sunshine aye shall light the sky,
As round and round we run;
And the truth shall ever come uppermost,
And justice shall be done.

- Charles Mackay, "Eternal Justice"
neonzx
Verified: 🤩✅✅✅✅✅🤩

Post by neonzx »

It's the Daily Santos Briefing (DSB) ... the gift that keeps on giving while everyone is praying for it to STOP.
Foggy
Dick Tater
Verified: and it's really me

Post by Foggy »

I actually know a guy named Andy Olson. He's married to a lady who was a member of Fogbow a hundred years ago. I'm sure it's the right guy, there can't be more than one Andrew Olson. :think:

Oh, wait. My buddy is Olsen with an E. :blackeye:
Kendra

Post by Kendra »

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles ... #xj4y7vzkg
The Federal Election Commission is warning Representative George Santos to substantiate who is in charge of his campaign’s finances — or risk a ban on raising or spending any money.

The FEC sent a letter to Santos asking him to file paperwork to list the treasurer of his campaign, after his previous one resigned in January. The letter adds to confusion over who’s in charge of the embattled New York Republican’s campaign accounts.

“Failure to appoint a treasurer will result in the inability of the committee to accept contributions and make disbursements,” according to the letter dated Tuesday.

Santos, who is best known for fabricating much of his resume, is facing a series of inquiries from federal and local authorities over his campaign’s expenditures, the sources of his income and lies he’s told about his background.
RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 »

the boy now needs a police cordon ... :cantlook:
Rep. George Santos barricaded himself in his district office as angry constituents stood outside demanding his resignation: reports

Mia Jankowicz
Thu, February 16, 2023 at 6:02 PM GMT+1
  • Rep. George Santos hid from constituents who tried to deliver a petition to him on Wednesday.
    The embattled lawmaker sent a staffer to talk to the group instead, per multiple reports.
    "I'm not hiding," Santos had tweeted the day before the encounter.
Rep. George Santos hid inside his district office as constituents attempted to deliver a petition calling for his resignation on Wednesday, according to multiple reports.

Local residents who arrived at the scandal-hit Republican's district office in Douglaston, Queens, were greeted by a police cordon, UK newspaper The Independent reported.

A staffer told the group that Santos was in the building but added that he refused to meet with a "mob," according to the paper.

The group of around 25 constituents chanted as they attempted to hand over the petition, which they said had more than 1,000 signatures, per the paper.

"It's incredibly cowardly to hide behind his staff," protester Emily Raphael told The Independent.

NYPD's 111th precinct declined to confirm how long the police cordon had been in place and for what purpose. Santos' office did not immediately respond to a request for comment.

Santos had tweeted the day before, in response to online criticism, that he was "not hiding."

"Let me be very clear, I'm not leaving, I'm not hiding and I am NOT backing down," he tweeted.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/rep-george-s ... 50783.html
(original: INSIDER)
neonzx

Post by neonzx »

neonzx wrote: Thu Feb 16, 2023 1:05 am It's the Daily Santos Briefing (DSB) ... the gift that keeps on giving while everyone is praying for it to STOP.
Redux
RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 »

the Daily Santos Briefing (DSB)
George Santos Raked In Cash for a Recount That Never Happened

Roger Sollenberger
Thu, February 16, 2023 at 10:55 AM GMT+1

When George Santos first ran for Congress in 2020, he lost by more than 12 points. But even though he was running in a safely blue district, the “red mirage” of Election Day votes lent the false impression of a tight race, and before absentee ballot counting began the following week, Santos seized on a golden fundraising opportunity: a recount fund.

The only catch was, in Santos’ case, there never was a recount. Those 90,000 absentee ballots devoured Santos’ 4,000-vote Election Day lead, swinging the race—which had not even been ranked “competitive” by Cook Political Report—to Democratic opponent Tom Suozzi. Suozzi eventually won by more than 46,000 votes.

State election laws only trigger automatic recounts when the margin is 20 votes or less or 0.5 percent or less, and those laws do not allow candidates to call recounts independently.

But that didn’t stop Santos from creating “Devolder Santos for Congress Recount” (DSCR) less than 24 hours after Election Day—a fundraising committee that raised and spent hundreds of thousands of dollars supposedly in connection with a recount that was never in the cards to begin with.

Saurav Ghosh, director of federal reform at government watchdog Campaign Legal Center, told The Daily Beast that Santos appears to have “abused” one of the “most unregulated areas of campaign finance.”

Essentially, Ghosh said, federal guidelines say candidates can have recount accounts, which allow them to raise money above the usual election contribution limits, “but they don’t really delineate how the money can be spent.”

“Recounts are one of the most unregulated areas of campaign finance. They’ve been around for decades, and I think some of the institutional views of recount funds in general reflect the thought that they’re going to have an impact on elections,” he explained. “However, recount accounts aren’t treated the same way as general election funds—which deal with money raised and spent to influence voters—because essentially recount money is only supposed to be related to post-election recounts or legal fees related to challenging election results.”

The rules around such funds are loose enough that Santos may be able to justify the fundraising, Ghosh said. As for the spending, he said, “Our view is that at a minimum that’s an abuse of what recount funds are supposed to be used for.”

Between Nov. 4 and Dec. 18, while then-President Donald Trump and his allies were raising boatloads of money on false claims of election fraud, DSCR pulled in more than $265,000, according to Federal Election Commission records. It was a huge windfall. For comparison, Santos’ actual campaign only raised around $358,000 for the entire 2020 election, not counting the $81,250 Santos claimed to have loaned from his “personal funds.”

Over the same period, DSCR also reported more than $260,000 in expenses, some of which campaign finance experts flagged as suspicious in discussions with The Daily Beast. (The group still has $5,148.04 in the bank today.)

Those costs were also highlighted in an FEC complaint filed on Jan. 31 by campaign finance reform group End Citizens United.

In a statement provided to The Daily Beast, an ECU spokesperson called the recount committee a “sham.”

https://www.yahoo.com/news/george-santo ... 17317.html
(original: The Daily Beast)
Lani

Post by Lani »

And he's going to jail when?
Image You can't wait until life isn't hard anymore before you decide to be happy.
Gregg

Post by Gregg »

Phoenix520 wrote: Wed Feb 15, 2023 8:30 pm That’s a good threat. Ima use that on Floyd next time he misbehaves.
Someone on Twitter threw fifteen hissy fits over that line and then blocked me. I guess it only works if you know that I exist only to meet every whim of my Dachshund overlords.

Free Biscuit Pic!

Phoenix520
Verified:

Post by Phoenix520 »

Awwwww. Look at that tail, waving like pampas grass. You must have pupperoni!
bill_g
Verified: ✅ Checked Republic ✓ ᵛᵉʳᶦᶠᶦᵉᵈ

Post by bill_g »

Prepare yourself. They say lightning cannot strike twice, but oddly it has ... in Tennessee. The GOP, the Democrats, and The Forth and Fifth Estates did a very poor job of vetting candidates this last election. The Republicans let fabricators like Santos on the ballot to represent their party, and literally nobody caught them until well after the elections.

Let me introduce you to newly elected congresscritter Andy Ogles, TN (R), who is *not* an economist, was never in law enforcement, he is not an internationally recognized expert in anything, and he's not a COO for an international company.

Can you imagine the field day the R's would have if any D were discovered to have done this? They are looking for election fraud on the wrong side of the ballot.

Nice Chiclet teeth Andy.

Kriselda Gray
Verified:

Post by Kriselda Gray »

Is he a state representative or a US representative?
neonzx

Post by neonzx »

Kriselda Gray wrote: Fri Feb 17, 2023 8:48 am Is he a state representative or a US representative?
US House Rep. (same as Kitara Santos)
jemcanada2

Post by jemcanada2 »

bill_g wrote: Fri Feb 17, 2023 8:26 am :snippity: :snippity:

Can you imagine the field day the R's would have if any D were discovered to have done this? They are looking for election fraud on the wrong side of the ballot.

:snippity: :snippity:
I think I can. :think: :think:

Elizabeth Warren and the time she said she had indigenous heritage several years before. We’re still hearing about it.

I guess IOKIYAR :roll:

Return to “Current Politics”