TESLA and Elon Musk - anything not elsewhere

RTH10260
Verified: ✔️ Eurobot

Post by RTH10260 »

Sounds to me like the European models will be getting a refit program soon. And the testing andlicensing authorities will be left with a :blackeye:
Suranis

Post by Suranis »

image0.jpg
image0.jpg (52.71 KiB) Viewed 1685 times
Hic sunt dracones
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

Legos and soda cans are much smaller than cybertrucks.
“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

My father for much of his life was a skilled machinist.

He once explained to me the futility when engineers request tolerances that the manufacturing equipment cannot possibly produce.

His advice was to spend some time on the factory floor learning what was possible before designing parts.
“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
Gregg

Post by Gregg »

Volkonski wrote: Thu Aug 24, 2023 5:52 pm Legos and soda cans are much smaller than cybertrucks.
I build transmissions with tolerances a decimal point or two smaller than that. The fact is, a micron is a boulder in machining terms.
Supreme Commander, Imperial Illuminati Air Force
:dog:

You don't have to consent, but I'm gonna tase you anyway.
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

From his post I am pretty sure he was talking about the outer vehicle panels which are stamped thin sheet metal rather than precision machined engine parts.

Sam the Centipede

Post by Sam the Centipede »

It's like something from a 1970s or 1980s low budget futurist science fiction serial for teenage boys.

Sort of thing that would appeal to Musk's permanently adolescent mind.
sugar magnolia

Post by sugar magnolia »

Does VW know he's bringing back the Thing?
Suranis

Post by Suranis »

Hell does John Carpenter know he is bringing back the Thing.
Hic sunt dracones
Kriselda Gray
Verified:

Post by Kriselda Gray »

That is just one super ugly vehicle.
neonzx
Verified: 🤩✅✅✅✅✅🤩

Post by neonzx »

Sam the Centipede wrote: Fri Aug 25, 2023 5:30 am It's like something from a 1970s or 1980s low budget futurist science fiction serial for teenage boys.

That is what I was grasping for and I believe you are spot-on. Old-school sci-fi rendition of futuristic vehicles. (not that those movies then were not fun -- they were).
Sam the Centipede

And with echoes of the DeLorean, as seen in Back To The Future … except if that heap gets up to 88 mph its batteries will catch fire.
Foggy
Dick Tater
Verified: as seen on qvc zombie apocalypse

Post by Foggy »

Gregg wrote: Fri Aug 25, 2023 4:16 amI build transmissions with tolerances a decimal point or two smaller than that. The fact is, a micron is a boulder in machining terms.
:shock:

Holy shit! A micron is too big for machining tolerances?

I had no idea, but I am seriously impressed. How the hell can you make a whole part of ... well, any kind of part, to tolerances a tenth, or a hundredth of a micron?

Ol' Wifehorn just said, "Wow." (She's buying a used Camry today, royal blue with 28K on it. She wouldn't listen to me recommending a Ford truck.) She's still having covfefe, I think she needs a little more time to let it sink in.

I mean, is a transmission manufacturing plant full of electron microscopes? :confuzzled:
Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity.
Estiveo
Verified:

Post by Estiveo »

Sam the Centipede wrote: Fri Aug 25, 2023 5:30 am It's like something from a 1970s or 1980s low budget futurist science fiction serial for teenage boys.

It's the Landmaster from Damnation Alley!
Estiveoshot_20230825_061746.jpg
Estiveoshot_20230825_061746.jpg (125.48 KiB) Viewed 1551 times
Image Image Image Image
Sam the Centipede

Those are stair-climbing wheels aren't they? Are they many staircases in extraterrestrial deserts?
RTH10260
Verified: ✔️ Eurobot

Post by RTH10260 »

At least one, when the Martian man stumbled and went extinct :twisted:

But did they have windows ?
tek

Post by tek »

Off Topic
It gets hard to see things below about .75um, because you're getting down to the wavelength of visible light..

Back when I was in the particle-sizing business, I learned about "Mie scattering" ... this is an effect where, when a particle gets down to a size on the order of the wavelength of light, instead of reflecting light it will focus it. So the particles actually become nearly invisible. Fun stuff ;)

That said, half-micron tolerances are not all that uncommon in precision machining. 0.01um is pretty difficult to deal with, thoug.. that's getting down to integrated-circuit feature size..
neeneko

Post by neeneko »

Volkonski wrote: Thu Aug 24, 2023 6:00 pm My father for much of his life was a skilled machinist.

He once explained to me the futility when engineers request tolerances that the manufacturing equipment cannot possibly produce.

His advice was to spend some time on the factory floor learning what was possible before designing parts.
When I was in school, the just showed us a pricing chart for cost vs tolerances.. explaining that sure you could ask for really tight tolerances, but it drives the cost way up, so you should really think about what you actually need.
Gregg

Post by Gregg »

Foggy wrote: Fri Aug 25, 2023 8:27 am
Gregg wrote: Fri Aug 25, 2023 4:16 amI build transmissions with tolerances a decimal point or two smaller than that. The fact is, a micron is a boulder in machining terms.

I had no idea, but I am seriously impressed. How the hell can you make a whole part of ... well, any kind of part, to tolerances a tenth, or a hundredth of a micron?

Ol' Wifehorn just said, "Wow." (She's buying a used Camry today, royal blue with 28K on it. She wouldn't listen to me recommending a Ford truck.) She's still having covfefe, I think she needs a little more time to let it sink in.

I mean, is a transmission manufacturing plant full of electron microscopes? :confuzzled:

No electron mocroscopes,, but some pretty nifty stuff, including laser measurment beams and this little gimcrack which I just to love towatch...

Sam the Centipede

Off Topic
After watching a demo of the new build Difference Engine of Charles Babbage (the shiny brass mechanical calculator, very steampunk) in London sometime last century I chatted with one of the builders. He said the Victorian drawings are very good but require some thought in a modern shop because – as was the custom – none of the drawings show tolerances, so builders must decide what's good enough and adjust to fit as necessary.

Somebody here probably knows when tolerances became A Thing. :shrug:
tek

Post by tek »

Tiredretiredlawyer
Verified: ✅🐴🐎🦄🌻5000 posts and counting

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer »

Cool museum!
"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.
chancery
Verified:

Post by chancery »

Foggy wrote: Fri Aug 25, 2023 8:27 am

Foggy, have I got a book for you. Precision engineering for machine tools had advanced to crazy tiny units by the early-mid 19th century. Read The Perfectionists, by Simon Winchester, about the history of precision engineering, people like Henry Maudslay. q.v..

From the NYT review:
He tells us of the moment in his boyhood when his father brought a series of small metallic blocks — gauge blocks — to his London home. These blocks, carefully ground to exact specifications, could be stacked in different ways to make accurate lengths for measuring. As a 10-year-old, he watched in awe as his father lifted them from their velvet case. Young Simon was challenged to separate two blocks placed one on top of the other. He pulled at them to no avail. Then his father slid them apart with a flick of his wrist. As Winchester explains, the blocks were so perfectly flat that their surfaces bonded at a molecular level. The only way to separate them was by sliding them. This extreme flatness could be achieved only because humans had mastered precise manufacturing; and so, his fascination with the subject began.
gift link for the review: https://www.nytimes.com/2018/05/14/book ... =url-share

IIRC, the book begins to lose focus towards the end, but the first 2/3 are riveting history. Winchester is a superb writer.

:hijacked:

sorry-not-sorry ;)
Gregg

Post by Gregg »

I have a set of very cool Austrian gauge blocks.

tek

Post by tek »

Off Topic
when I was in 7th grade, we had a half-year class in Mechanical Drawing... the teacher was an ex-machinist, and he brought in a set of "Jo Blocks" ... and explained to us what they were for and why checking your tools is important.

This was just the general public school system, not a voke school.
I learned a lot in public school, in a not particularly well-off school district. Good times.

Return to “Whatever Doesn't Fit Elsewhere”