Kyle Rittenhouse, previous owner of a Smith & Wesson M&P15

These people are weird, but we like to find out what weird people are doing and thinking. It's a hobby.
andersweinstein

Re: Kyle Rittenhouse, previous owner of a Smith & Wesson M&P15

Post by andersweinstein »

bob wrote: Mon Nov 01, 2021 9:06 pm
The start of jury selection was briefly delayed in the morning for unexplained reasons. During the delay, the judge played a mock game of “Jeopardy!” with prospective jurors in the courtroom, something he sometimes does as attorneys get organized.
I'm curious whether the judge had told the attorneys about this intention, and whether the defendant's attorney objected.
Defense said they'd put up with one round, but Double Jeopardy was out.
:biggrin:
zekeb
Occupation: Stable genius. One who tosses horseshit with a pitchfork and never misses the spreader.
Verified: ✅Of course

Post by zekeb »

No boring savants who appear week after week after week ad nauseum allowed.
Largo al factotum.
andersweinstein

Evidential issue from opening statement: Binger mentions that Rosenbaum "got out ofthe hospital" that day (to explain, I think, that plastic bag he was carrying was the type hospitals give you to hold your belongings, so harmless) and that he visited his girlfriend but could not stay with her (to explain why he was still carrying that bag around with him all night.) Girlfriend will be called by state.

I wondered immediately I heard this. Defense would be pleased if this opened the door to get before the jury that Rosenbaum was coming from a PSYCHIATRIC hospitalization after being committed for a suicide attempt and also that the reason his girlfriend didn't let him stay is that Rosenbaum was under a no-contact order after battering her (and which he violated by going there at all).

Before jury returned for Richards' opening, Binger spoke pre-emptively to remind judge that this was irrelevant and should be excluded. Judge said Richards shouldn't mention it in opening statement, but has not ruled, though suggests he's leaning against allowing it.

I was mainly surprised Binger would skate so close to opening the door to it.
bob

Post by bob »

Opening statements aren't evidence and can't "open the door" to anything.
Image ImageImage
andersweinstein

bob wrote: Tue Nov 02, 2021 1:23 pm Opening statements aren't evidence and can't "open the door" to anything.
Well they discussed it using exactly that phrase. Richards in fact said that Binger had not merely "opened the door" but had "danced through the door".

Binger wanted Richards warned not to mention any of those things in his (Richards') opening statement. I guess he also wanted to make sure defense was reminded prospectively it couldn't be introduced later on even though Binger's opening statement signalled he was planning to introduce evidence on these topics. He was like "I chose my words carefully, I very carefully said "hospital"' and 'I very carefully said 'he couldn't stay there that night' but there are many reasons that could be true" (I'm paraphrasing).

Again, Binger brought this issue up pre-emptively after his own opening statement.

Edit: I notice on review that Binger said his concern arose from an off-the-record discussion with defense where defense thought the statement "opened the door". And one thing Binger said in passing was indeed that his statement was not evidence and he didn't think it could "open the door" anyway. But the discussion went on about whether this stuff could be admitted.
Maybenaut
Verified: ✅✅

Post by Maybenaut »

bob wrote: Tue Nov 02, 2021 1:23 pm Opening statements aren't evidence and can't "open the door" to anything.
I’ve had cases where one side or the other opened the door during opening statements, but evidence was admissible only to correct or respond to an impression/misimpression raised by the statement. It’s not a crate blanche invitation.

And in this case, whether it’s a psychiatric vs. a regular hospital, or the protection order, or whatever… none of that is relevant.
Edit: Also, am I the only one who feels this way? It’s OK if I am, but here goes: I think the defense would be playing with fire by going down the Rosenbaum-was-a-crazy-lunatic road. That could backfire in a big way because, to me at least, it makes Rosenbaum seem very sympathetic. Maybe that’s because I have relatives who could have been Rosenbaum. Living on the street is a scary and dangerous place for a person with a mental illness. If I was on the jury I would be less inclined to look favorably on such a defense strategy, even though I’m supposed to set all that aside.
"Hey! We left this England place because it was bogus, and if we don't get some cool rules ourselves, pronto, we'll just be bogus too!" -- Thomas Jefferson
bob

Post by bob »

Maybenaut wrote: Tue Nov 02, 2021 2:01 pmI’ve had cases where one side or the other opened the door during opening statements, but evidence was admissible only to correct or respond to an impression/misimpression raised by the statement.
Yeah; the typical scenario where the defense lawyer says something like, "My client is gentle as a lamb." And the prosecutor essentially responds by calling someone who witnessed a wolf in a sheep's clothing. And even that sometimes has been called error (but harmless).

Regardless, the prosecutor's acknowledging someone had been discharged from a hospital doesn't open the door to the defendant's introducing evidence about the hospital. Because the case is about, yaknow, the killings.

I'm hoping for a quick trial, so this thread can close itself.
Image ImageImage
Slim Cognito
Verified:

Post by Slim Cognito »

I'm sorry, whut?
Ron Filipkowski
@RonFilipkowski
In the opening statement of the Rittenhouse trial, his attorney argues he was justified in shooting the victim carrying a skateboard, since it’s possible to decapitate someone with a skateboard if you decide to use it as a deadly weapon.
ImageImageImage x5
bob

Post by bob »

In the opening statement of the Rittenhouse trial, his attorney argues he was justified in shooting the victim carrying a skateboard, since it’s possible to decapitate someone with a skateboard if you decide to use it as a deadly weapon.
"Possible" is doing all the work there. :roll:

There are ways to say the defendant's fears were reasonable; this is not one of them.

These anecdotes are not improving my assessment of defense counsel's abilities.
Image ImageImage
Maybenaut
Verified: ✅✅

Post by Maybenaut »

bob wrote: Tue Nov 02, 2021 2:23 pm
"Possible" is doing all the work there. :roll:

There are ways to say the defendant's fears were reasonable; this is not one of them.

These anecdotes are not improving my assessment of defense counsel's abilities.
I imagine getting hit in the head edge-on by a skateboard would hurt like a motherfucker, and would probably qualify as an assault likely to result in death or grievous bodily injury. But even that “possibility”, without evidence that such a thing was occurring or reasonably likely to occur under the circumstances, wouldn’t be enough, IMO. I haven’t seen the videos, though, so I don’t know how the defense is planning to argue this.
"Hey! We left this England place because it was bogus, and if we don't get some cool rules ourselves, pronto, we'll just be bogus too!" -- Thomas Jefferson
Suranis

Post by Suranis »

You can beat someone to death with a chicken. It does not make it easy, nor does it mean anyone holding a chicken would be reasonably regarded as a deadly enemy requiring a response of lethal force.

Prosecution, if you are reading this, feel free to use that example.
Hic sunt dracones
realist

Post by realist »

Slim Cognito wrote: Tue Nov 02, 2021 2:19 pm I'm sorry, whut?
Ron Filipkowski
@RonFilipkowski
Sounds kind of like this infamous but losing defense:
The term "Twinkie defense" is an umbrella term that, in the most general sense, refers to an unconventional defensive argument. The term originated from the 1979 trial of Dan White, a San Francisco politician, who was charged with first-degree murder.A testifying psychiatrist pointed out that White's consumption of sugary foods, such as Twinkies, could lead to diminished capacity.]
https://www.law.cornell.edu/wex/twinkie_defense
Image X 4
Image X 33
Jim

Post by Jim »

Ron Filipkowski
@RonFilipkowski
So since he was carrying a M&P15, anyone would have been justified in killing his client?
Slim Cognito
Verified:

Post by Slim Cognito »

Oops.
ImageImageImage x5
RVInit

Post by RVInit »

Slim Cognito wrote: Tue Nov 02, 2021 3:40 pmOops.
Exactly. The defense really handed the prosecution something on a platter as far as I can see. The guy with the skateboard is a scary gonna kill me kinda guy. And the guy with the AR15 is...
"It actually doesn't take much to be considered a difficult woman. That's why there are so many of us."

--Jane Goodall
Dave from down under

Post by Dave from down under »

A: a heroic patriotic American exercising his 1A right to threaten and intimidate and kill via the 2A…
bill_g
Verified: ✅ Checked Republic ✓ ᵛᵉʳᶦᶠᶦᵉᵈ

Post by bill_g »

I always show up to a gun fight with a skateboard cuz they're equivalent. I bring tacos to a baby shower too.
Dave from down under

Suranis wrote: Tue Nov 02, 2021 3:14 pm You can beat someone to death with a chicken. It does not make it easy, nor does it mean anyone holding a chicken would be reasonably regarded as a deadly enemy requiring a response of lethal force.

Our chickens would peck us to death if they could…
NEVER turn your back on a chicken - they are just feathered dinosaurs with a taste for meat!
Dave from down under

Jim wrote: Tue Nov 02, 2021 3:38 pm
Ron Filipkowski
@RonFilipkowski
So since he was carrying a M&P15, anyone would have been justified in killing his client?
In a stand your ground state - it is a civic duty!
bob

Post by bob »

RVInit wrote: Tue Nov 02, 2021 5:31 pmThe guy with the skateboard is a scary gonna kill me kinda guy.
Is Wisconsin a skate your ground state?

To paraphrase Frater: I'll let myself back in.
Image ImageImage
LM K
Occupation: Professor Shrinky Lady, brainwashing young adults daily!

Post by LM K »

andersweinstein wrote: Tue Nov 02, 2021 1:12 pm Evidential issue from opening statement: Binger mentions that Rosenbaum "got out ofthe hospital" that day (to explain, I think, that plastic bag he was carrying was the type hospitals give you to hold your belongings, so harmless) and that he visited his girlfriend but could not stay with her (to explain why he was still carrying that bag around with him all night.) Girlfriend will be called by state.

I wondered immediately I heard this. Defense would be pleased if this opened the door to get before the jury that Rosenbaum was coming from a PSYCHIATRIC hospitalization after being committed for a suicide attempt and also that the reason his girlfriend didn't let him stay is that Rosenbaum was under a no-contact order after battering her (and which he violated by going there at all).

Before jury returned for Richards' opening, Binger spoke pre-emptively to remind judge that this was irrelevant and should be excluded. Judge said Richards shouldn't mention it in opening statement, but has not ruled, though suggests he's leaning against allowing it.

I was mainly surprised Binger would skate so close to opening the door to it.
Ms. Shrinky Lady here.

Nope. The judge did rule that previous criminal history is off-limits. Rosenbaum's restraining order is linked to criminal behavior prior to his killing.

Rosenbaum's psychiatric issue is irrelevant. He was discharged by the hospital because psychiatrists AND psychologists deemed him to no longer be a risk to self or other. He was hospitalized for, at minimum, a 72 hour. Rosenbaum couldn't leave if he wanted to.

Bringing up Rosenbaum's hospitalization will backfire on the defense. Why? Psychiatric experts agreed that he was no longer a risk to self or others just hours before Rosenbaum's killing.

Now, before you start saying that Rosenbaum must of tricked the DOCTORS (psychiatrists AND psychologists are doctors). It's extremely hard to trick yourself out of a psychiatric ward. Doctors rely not just on their evaluations of the patient. They rely on the detailed 24/7 hour reports by psychiatric nurses, reports by group therapists, and reports by the other psychiatric experts who worked with the patient. Oh, and patients see more than one psychiatrist. There's the ER hospital admitting doctor, the psychiatric admitting doctor, the assigned treating psychiatrist, and the relief psychiatrist.

Oh! And there's the fact that Rosenbaum was self-harming. There is no evidence (available to the public) that Rosenbaum was deemed a risk to others. No on is going to say that throwing a light bag was evidence that Rosenbaum was a risk to others.

Oh, and it's not a crime to be mentally ill. In fact, the mentally ill are substantially less likely to engage in violence than those not mentally ill.*

Oh, and one could argue that Rosenbaum, esp because of his fragile mental health, was more likely to interpret Rittenhouse to be a serious risk to his own safety.

Oh, and any psychiatrist/psychologist would be extremely reluctant to testify regarding Rosenbaum. Professional ethics forbid psychiatrists/psychologists from diagnosing patients they've never seen. So, the defense can try to call their own psychiatrists/psychologists, but that's a bazillion percent risky because of legally mandated limitations for psychiatric experts. The defense could call the doctors that treated Rosenbaum, with the knowledge that those doctors will testify that, in their professional opinion, Rosenbaum was not a risk to self or others the day he was killed.

Those are serious risks to Rittenhouse.

And no, psychiatric patients aren't booted early because of covid.

*The only exception is those diagnosed with schizophrenia who have command hallucinations. Schizophrenia is rare. There is no publicly available evidence that Rosenbaum had schizophrenia.
"The jungle is no place for a cellist."
From "Take the Money and Run"
LM K
Occupation: Professor Shrinky Lady, brainwashing young adults daily!

Post by LM K »

Suranis wrote: Tue Nov 02, 2021 3:14 pm You can beat someone to death with a chicken. It does not make it easy, nor does it mean anyone holding a chicken would be reasonably regarded as a deadly enemy requiring a response of lethal force.

Hell, John Wick killed 3 people with a pencil.
"The jungle is no place for a cellist."
From "Take the Money and Run"
bob

Post by bob »

Maybenaut wrote: Tue Nov 02, 2021 2:01 pmAlso, am I the only one who feels this way? It’s OK if I am, but here goes: I think the defense would be playing with fire by going down the Rosenbaum-was-a-crazy-lunatic road. That could backfire in a big way because, to me at least, it makes Rosenbaum seem very sympathetic. Maybe that’s because I have relatives who could have been Rosenbaum. Living on the street is a scary and dangerous place for a person with a mental illness. If I was on the jury I would be less inclined to look favorably on such a defense strategy, even though I’m supposed to set all that aside.
You are not the only one.

The way to thread the needle, IMO, is to let other witnesses describe Rosenbaum's actions and appearance. Let someone else say, for example, Rosenbaum was in a combative stance, appeared hypervigilant, was swinging his skateboard like a club, etc. Draw out the evidence of his aggressive appearance without calling him crazy.

"Just defending from a sane aggressor" is a better tactic than accusing the victim rioter of being crazy.

LM K wrote: Tue Nov 02, 2021 6:28 pm Hell, John Wick killed 3 people with a pencil.
Jack Ryan killed with a book!
Image ImageImage
Dave from down under

My wife can kill with a look!
bill_g
Verified: ✅ Checked Republic ✓ ᵛᵉʳᶦᶠᶦᵉᵈ

Post by bill_g »

LM K wrote: Tue Nov 02, 2021 6:28 pm

Hell, John Wick killed 3 people with a pencil.
Over a dog!

Return to “Other weirdos”