Traitor Tommy Tuberville (R-AL), white nationalist asshat

These people suck. They are bad people.
John Thomas8

Post by John Thomas8 »

IMHO tubbyfucker's clear and present danger to national security trumps that clause.
Estiveo
Verified:

Post by Estiveo »

Treason has a very narrow legal definition, and Tuberville's actions, reprehensible & damaging as they are, don't satisfy it, in my IANAL opinion.

For starters, there needs to be a formal declaration of war against...somebody.
Image Image Image Image
John Thomas8

Post by John Thomas8 »

Estiveo wrote: Thu Sep 21, 2023 8:53 pm Treason has a very narrow legal definition, and Tuberville's actions, reprehensible & damaging as they are, don't satisfy it, in my IANAL opinion.

For starters, there needs to be a formal declaration of war against...somebody.
We have troops in active hostile areas in almost every time zone on the planet. War? We don't declare war any longer, congress hasn't demonstrated that integrity since 8 Dec 41.

Our kids are dying anyway, tubby needs to be held accountable.
much ado

Post by much ado »

The problem is the "Senate Hold" rule:
In the United States Senate, a hold is a parliamentary procedure permitted by the Standing Rules of the United States Senate which allows one or more Senators to prevent a motion from reaching a vote on the Senate floor.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Senate_ho ... and_intent
The original intent of these sections was to protect a senator's right to be consulted on legislation that affected the senator's state or in which a senator had a great interest. The ability to place a hold would allow that senator an opportunity to study the legislation and to reflect on its implications before moving forward with further debate and voting.

According to Congressional Research Service research, holds were not common until the 1970s, when they became more common due to a less collegial atmosphere and an increasing use of unanimous consent to move business to the floor.

Holds, like filibusters, can be defeated through a successful cloture motion. However, the time required to bring around a cloture vote often allows fewer than 40 senators to block unimportant legislation when the majority is not willing to force the vote. The countermeasure to excessive holds may be increased determination on the part of the leadership to bring up measures despite holds, but the delay involved in cloture votes constrains the leader's ability to do this.
The problem with the Senate Hold is that it has no time limit. The rule should be modified to limit the hold to some fixed time, like 30 days, so that a single senator cannot abuse it.

The Senate can do this, if they want to.
Ben-Prime
Verified: ✅MamaSaysI'mBonaFide

Post by Ben-Prime »

I do note that treason, if it could be proven, is specifically and explicitly exempted from the speech and debate clause immunities. At least as written. Lawdy knows SCOTUS may have ruled otherwise, right?
But the sunshine aye shall light the sky,
As round and round we run;
And the truth shall ever come uppermost,
And justice shall be done.

- Charles Mackay, "Eternal Justice"
Foggy
Dick Tater
Verified: as seen on qvc zombie apocalypse

Post by Foggy »

In England before the American Revolution, very, very many things could get you killed for treason. As y'all know, both my state and the state capital where I live are named for gentlemen who were executed for treason. You could be executed for drawing an unflattering picture of the king.

And John Thomas8 and I spent many years reading the crazy rantings of a lady named Judy, who thought anything that she decided was against the interests of the United States of America was obviously treason. She accused me of treason because I used open source software (contributors sometimes live in foreign countries) and because not every stitch of clothing I wear is made in the US. Judy didn't like it? Treason.

But in this great land of ours, the founding fathers were damned careful to limit throwing around the word treason. It is the only crime specifically defined in the Constitution.

:flag:
Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity.
Ben-Prime
Verified: ✅MamaSaysI'mBonaFide

Post by Ben-Prime »

Foggy wrote: Sat Sep 23, 2023 11:14 am But in this great land of ours, the founding fathers were damned careful to limit throwing around the word treason. It is the only crime specifically defined in the Constitution.
Although, in fairness to the Founders, they were a little light on the meanings of 'aid and comfort'. But, yeah.
But the sunshine aye shall light the sky,
As round and round we run;
And the truth shall ever come uppermost,
And justice shall be done.

- Charles Mackay, "Eternal Justice"
raison de arizona
Verified: ✔️ he/him/his

Post by raison de arizona »

Asshat traitor says what?
Ron Filipkowski @RonFilipkowski wrote: Tuberville explains why he voted against Chair of Joint Chiefs: “I heard some things that he talked about race and things that he wanted to mix into the military. Our military is not an equal opportunity employer. It’s like a football team I coached …”
I try not to judge a state based on their representation, but I swear the a sizable portion of Alabamians must be ignorant racist MFers to elect this asshole. He's horrible.
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

They haven't even figured out that his main home is in Florida.
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
raison de arizona

:fuckyou:
Acyn @Acyn wrote: Tuberville: They made everything else woke from their education to the FBI, the CIA.. In terms of Wokeness in the military, I singlehandedly am going to fight this by not letting admirals and generals be able to be promoted.
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
neeneko

Post by neeneko »

raison de arizona wrote: Wed Sep 27, 2023 1:54 pm I try not to judge a state based on their representation, but I swear the a sizable portion of Alabamians must be ignorant racist MFers to elect this asshole. He's horrible.
I remember a time when saying the quiet part out loud was something elected officials tried to avoid rather than embrace.
RTH10260
Verified: ✔️ Eurobot

Post by RTH10260 »

raison de arizona wrote: Wed Sep 27, 2023 1:54 pm Asshat traitor says what?
https://twitter.com/RonFilipkowski/stat ... 54556?s=20
Ron Filipkowski @RonFilipkowski wrote: Tuberville explains why he voted against Chair of Joint Chiefs: “I heard some things that he talked about race and things that he wanted to mix into the military. Our military is not an equal opportunity employer. It’s like a football team I coached …”
:snippity:
Says the guy who never served ...
raison de arizona

RTH10260 wrote: Wed Sep 27, 2023 9:27 pm
Somehow, I suspect that everything is like a football team he coached to this guy. He's got one gear.
RTH10260
Verified: ✔️ Eurobot

Post by RTH10260 »

raison de arizona wrote: Wed Sep 27, 2023 10:08 pm
RTH10260 wrote: Wed Sep 27, 2023 9:27 pm

Somehow, I suspect that everything is like a football team he coached to this guy. He's got one gear.
Coached at the college level. I bet he would not have lasted long in the NFL. The professional NFL would be (with a stretch) comparable to the professional US armed forces. He would have at best been a boy scout :twisted:
pipistrelle

Post by pipistrelle »

He's an example of how many Americans venerate football and other coaches over academics, artists, et alia.
Suranis

Post by Suranis »

Isn't it pronounced FOOTBAW! ?
Hic sunt dracones
raison de arizona

Kelly and the other combat veterans need to take Tuberville behind the woodshed for a little talk.
Senator Mark Kelly @SenMarkKelly wrote: In a room of veterans, some with decades of service, Senator Tuberville said “there’s no one more military” than him.

Meanwhile, he’s threatening our national security and harming military families by blocking military promotions.

It just doesn’t make any sense.
Frater I*I
Verified: ✅Verified Devilish Hyena

Post by Frater I*I »

raison de arizona wrote: Thu Sep 28, 2023 6:04 pm Kelly and the other combat veterans need to take Tuberville behind the woodshed for a little talk.
And beat him with a hose....
"He sewed his eyes shut because he is afraid to see, He tries to tell me what I put inside of me
He's got the answers to ease my curiosity, He dreamed a god up and called it Christianity"

Trent Reznor
raison de arizona

Biden’s Wins @BidensWins wrote: Everyone needs to see this. President Biden blasted Tommy Tuberville today: “The strongest military in the history of the world… accused of being weak and ‘woke’? Frankly, these extremists have no idea what the hell they’re talking about.”
raison de arizona

White nationalist asshat. Still.
David Gura @davidgura wrote: Why did @SenTuberville vote against the next chairman of the Joint Chiefs?

“I heard some things he talked about, about race and things that he wanted to mix into the military," he told @BloombergTV. "Our military is not an equal opportunity employer."
raison de arizona

Wouldn't normally quote Abramson, but he is correct here, Tuberville was among the insurrectionists.
Seth Abramson @SethAbramson wrote: Is it worth noting here that Senator Tuberville was intimately involved in the planning for January 6 and was in touch with Trump’s team on Insurrection Day?

He’s not just any MAGA senator—he’s an *insurrectionist* MAGA senator.

So yes, his actions must be seen in that light.
Simon Rosenberg @SimonWDC wrote: Should we start talking about what Tuberville is doing as a continuation of the Jan 6th insurrection?

He's trying to assume Presidential level powers over the military, dictating staffing and policy. It's an upending of the Constitutional order.

https://twitter.com/ChrisMurphyCT/statu ... 2867415383
https://x.com/SethAbramson/status/17074 ... 60521?s=20
raison de arizona

much ado

Post by much ado »

Last night, after the CR was passed, Schumer did this...
MR. PRESIDENT, I ASK UNANIMOUS CONSENT THAT THE SENATE CONSIDER THE FOLLOWING NOMINATIONS, ALL NOMINATIONS PLACED ON THE SECRETARY'S DESK IN THE AIR FORCE, ARMY, MARINE CORPS AND NAVY, THAT THE NOMINATIONS BE CONFIRMED EN BLOC, THE MOTIONS TO RECONSIDER BE CONSIDERED MADE AND LAID UPON THE TABLE WITH NO INTERVENING ACTION OR DEBATE, THAT NO FURTHER MOTIONS BE IN ORDER TO ANY OF THE NOMINATIONS AND THAT THE PRESIDENT BE IMMEDIATELY NOTIFIED OF THE SENATE'S ACTIONS. THE PRESIDING OFFICER: WITHOUT OBJECTION. THE QUESTION OCCURS ON THE NOMINATIONS EN BLOC. ALL THOSE IN FAVOR SAY AYE. ALL THOSE OPPOSED SAY NO. THE AYES APPEAR TO HAVE IT. THE AYES DO HAVE IT. THE NOMINATIONS ARE CONFIRMED EN BLOC.
C-SPAN video...

https://www.c-span.org/video/?c5086613/ ... promotions

As reported...

Senate Bypasses Tuberville, Approves All Military Promotions
The Senate on Saturday approved, by unanimous consent, all nominations for military promotions on the Secretary's desk for the Air Force, Army, Marine Corps, and Navy.

According to the Senate Record, Senate Majority Leader Chuck Schumer, D-N.Y., asked for the unanimous consent motion "with no intervening action or debate, that no further motions be in order to any of the nominations," and that President Joe Biden be "immediately notified of the Senate's actions."

The Senate Record lists hundreds of names of the promoted military members.
I was watching C-SPAN live at the time and found it hard to believe what I was hearing.
much ado

Post by much ado »

The Congressional Record for September 30, 2023 as a PDF:
https://www.congress.gov/118/crec/2023/ ... -09-30.pdf

The confirmations are listed on pages S4898 and S4899...

The very long list begins...
CONFIRMATIONS
Executive nominations confirmed by the Senate September 30, 2023:
FEDERAL COMMUNICATIONS COMMISSION
BRENDAN CARR, OF VIRGINIA, TO BE A MEMBER OF THE FEDERAL COMMUNICATIONS COMMISSION FOR A TERM OF FIVE YEARS FROM JULY 1, 2023.
GEOFFREY ADAM STARKS, OF KANSAS, TO BE A MEM- BER OF THE FEDERAL COMMUNICATIONS COMMISSION FOR A TERM OF FIVE YEARS FROM JULY 1, 2022.
IN THE AIR FORCE
AIR FORCE NOMINATION OF DAVID M.P. SPITLER, TO BE COLONEL.
AIR FORCE NOMINATIONS BEGINNING WITH HEATHER A. BODWELL AND ENDING WITH CHRISTIAN L. WILLIAMS, WHICH NOMINATIONS WERE RECEIVED BY THE SENATE AND APPEARED IN THE CONGRESSIONAL RECORD ON JULY 25, 2023.
AIR FORCE NOMINATIONS BEGINNING WITH EGLON AUBYN ANGEL AND ENDING WITH THOMAS H. WEST, WHICH NOMINATIONS WERE RECEIVED BY THE SENATE AND APPEARED IN THE CONGRESSIONAL RECORD ON JULY 25, 2023.
AIR FORCE NOMINATION OF MARTIN J. SLOVINSKY, TO BE COLONEL.
AIR FORCE NOMINATION OF JASON E. LITTLE, TO BE COLONEL.
AIR FORCE NOMINATION OF JOANNE M. WHITLOCK, TO BE MAJOR.
AIR FORCE NOMINATION OF FREDDY R. ORELLANA, TO BE MAJOR.
AIR FORCE NOMINATION OF MELISSA L. HULL, TO BE COLONEL.
AIR FORCE NOMINATION OF ALICIA C. PALLETT, TO BE LIEUTENANT COLONEL.
AIR FORCE NOMINATION OF JOSHUA N. YOUNG, TO BE MAJOR.
IN THE ARMY
ARMY NOMINATION OF ROBERT M. MCTIGHE, TO BE COLONEL.
ARMY NOMINATION OF EDWARD B. SAUTER, TO BE COLONEL.
ARMY NOMINATION OF JOAN E. SOMMERS, TO BE COLO- NEL.
Take that, Tommy.
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

:clap:
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler

Return to “Worst of the Right-Wing Pieholes”