Verified: Inventor of flag baseball

George Santos (R-NY) and his imaginative (but dishonest) résumé

Post by Foggy »

No. Doesn't explain what he's really done. :fingerwag:
"Man Struck By Lightning Faces Battery Charge"
pipistrelle

Post by pipistrelle »

Voters voted for someone who doesn't exist mostly. How is that not fraud?
p0rtia

Post by p0rtia »

He just dug himself in quite a bit deeper.

Pulse: No, the four people who died weren't employees of his company--they were prospective employees whom he was going to hire.

Uh huh.
Dr. Ken

Post by Dr. Ken »

p0rtia wrote: Mon Dec 26, 2022 8:55 pm He just dug himself in quite a bit deeper.

Pulse: No, the four people who died weren't employees of his company--they were prospective employees whom he was going to hire.

Uh huh.
Not even in office yet and he's already having his nixon I'm not a crook moment
ImageImagePhilly Boondoggle
sugar magnolia

Post by sugar magnolia »

It's getting harder and harder to discern the difference between Republican and repulsive.
Kriselda Gray
Verified:

Post by Kriselda Gray »

sugar magnolia wrote: Tue Dec 27, 2022 12:52 am It's getting harder and harder to discern the difference between Republican and repulsive.
What difference?
tek

Post by tek »

IOKIYAR, I guess
“To get down to the nit and gritty, I’m not a fraud."
but
He also told the Post that he didn’t graduate from any college or university, despite claiming he had degrees from Baruch College and New York University.
https://www.cnn.com/2022/12/26/politics ... index.html
bill_g
Verified: ✅ Checked Republic ✓ ᵛᵉʳᶦᶠᶦᵉᵈ

Post by bill_g »

His new constituents should file a recall immediately.
Foggy
Dick Tater

Post by Foggy »

There's no such thing, sad to say. :(
Suranis

Post by Suranis »

No, AFAIK the only chance of booting him would be Impeachment. Good luck with that.

The Republicans and their bots are going all out in blaming real people responsible for this - the Dems! For not doing Opposition research, of course.
Hic sunt dracones
bill_g
Verified: ✅ Checked Republic ✓ ᵛᵉʳᶦᶠᶦᵉᵈ

Post by bill_g »

In that case, do a MAGATrump - claim as stolen election. Call for a couple dozen recounts, and bring in [big_booming_voice]** The Auditors **[/big_booming_voice].
Kendra

Post by Kendra »

https://edition.cnn.com/2022/12/26/poli ... index.html
GOP Rep.-elect George Santos of New York admitted in two separate interviews on Monday to lying about parts of his resume but claimed that he hasn’t committed any crimes and intends to serve in Congress.

Santos has faced scrutiny over discrepancies in his employment and education history, as well as other public claims he has made about his biography. In interviews with WABC radio and the New York Post – the first times Santos has spoken publicly about the controversy – he acknowledged that he had fabricated some facts.

“I am not a criminal. Not here, not abroad, in any jurisdiction in the world have I ever committed any crimes,” Santos said in an interview with WABC radio host John Catsimatidis.

“To get down to the nit and gritty, I’m not a fraud. I’m not a criminal who defrauded the entire country and made up this fictional character and ran for Congress. I’ve been around a long time. I mean, a lot of people know me. They know who I am. They’ve done business dealings with me,” he added.

“I’m not going to make excuses for this, but a lot of people overstate in their resumes, or twist a little bit. … I’m not saying I’m not guilty of that,” he said.

Santos also admitted that he never worked directly for the financial firms Citigroup and Goldman Sachs, as he has previously suggested, but claimed that he did do work for them through his company, telling the New York Post it was a “poor choice of words” to say he worked for them.
Kendra

Post by Kendra »

McCarthy on November 19th says with the election of George Santos, they have the largest Republican Jewish Caucus in 24 years
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

:brickwallsmall:
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
Kendra

Post by Kendra »

Santos during the debate: Do you have an honest moment inside of you ever when you’re campaigning?!
tek

Post by tek »

I'm just hoping some of these lies poorly worded statements made it into some required disclosure documents..
Gupwalla

Post by Gupwalla »

Suranis wrote: Tue Dec 27, 2022 9:27 am No, AFAIK the only chance of booting him would be Impeachment. Good luck with that.
Impeachment is not available for legislators; it is a tool for executive and judicial servants only.

Each legislative chamber has the power to serve as judge of its members’ qualifications, and to expel a member for any reason. Those are very rarely used remedies - Congress has a healthy tradition of respecting the choice of the electorate even if they don’t always like that choice. You take who the voters send you, for the most part.

But that’s the remedy here - so either Congress declines to seat Santos, or they seat him but then expel him, or they just deal with him for two years.

I think the first is unlikely. I don’t see Congress refusing to seat a member outside of some serious flaw in an election itself. I’m thinking about an 1876 situation where an outgoing and incoming state governor issue competing commissions to different candidates. Congress could reject them both and leave the seat vacant until a less messy election decided the issue more cleanly.

I’d put the odds at 33% for seat-and-expel and 66% for live with it. And in that case he’ll be another Cawthorn one-hit wonder.
raison de arizona
Verified: ✔️ he/him/his

Post by raison de arizona »

McCarthy has already said Santos will be seated and receive Committee assignments. Assuming McCarthy is Speaker, although I doubt any alternative Speaker would feel differently.
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
Kendra

Post by Kendra »

THREAD: for those asking where liar George Santos got the money to run a campaign, a sizable portion of it came from a man named Intrater. That name will sound familiar to folks who listened to the OG Mueller, She Wrote podcast. 1/
RTH10260
Verified: ✔️ Eurobot

Post by RTH10260 »

as above

Kendra

Post by Kendra »

Statement from Republican Jewish Coalition today: Santos "deceived us and misrepresented his heritage. In public comments and to us personally he previously claimed to be Jewish... he will not be welcome at any future RJC event."
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

Congressman-elect George Santos faces increasing calls to resign

https://www.nbcnews.com/nbc-out/out-pol ... -rcna63331
In a bombshell investigation published Dec. 19, The New York Times said it was unable to substantiate many of Santos’ alleged qualifications, such as that he had worked for Goldman Sachs and Citigroup and had graduated from Baruch College.

Santos, who made LGBTQ political history when he won the November race for New York’s 3rd Congressional District, which covers parts of Long Island and Queens, admitted to what he described as “overstat[ing]” and “embellishing” his qualifications in at least three interviews Monday.

“A lot of people overstate in their resumes or twist a little bit,” he said in an interview with radio station WABC. “I’m not saying I’m not guilty of that.”

In another interview with the New York Post, he said he did not graduate from Baruch College or any institution of higher learning.
“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
Foggy
Dick Tater

Post by Foggy »

Hay nao, one time Obama said 57 states. Both sides blah blah blah ... :biggrin:
raison de arizona
Verified: ✔️ he/him/his

Post by raison de arizona »

It’s Daily Caller, but good!
Daily Caller @DailyCaller wrote: .@TulsiGabbard takes on Republican Congressman-Elect for Lying About His Work at Goldman Sachs:

TULSI: "Is it debatable or is it just FALSE?"

Santos: "We can have this conversation that's gonna go WAY above the American People's head."
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams

Return to “Current Politics”