Hijack This Thread

qbawl

Hijack This Thread

Post by qbawl »

Reddog wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2023 7:20 pm I just found out local university has free tuition for over 65.
Has anyone had any experience about taking undergraduate courses, or something similar later.
My previous classes were mainly science, but I thought about history, economics, or English.
Can't say I ever did that however I have taken many OLLI (Osher Lifelong Learning Institute) classes. If these are offered at a nearby University they usually have an online catalog. The offerings are very diverse and interesting / entertaining. Worth a look!
keith
Occupation: Retired Computer Systems Analyst Project Manager Super Coder
Verified: ✅lunatic

Hijack This Thread

Post by keith »

Reddog wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2023 7:20 pm I just found out local university has free tuition for over 65.
Has anyone had any experience about taking undergraduate courses, or something similar later.
My previous classes were mainly science, but I thought about history, economics, or English.
How about Particle Physics?
Be assured that a walk through the ocean of most souls Would scarcely get your feet wet
RTH10260
Verified: ✔️ Eurobot

Hijack This Thread

Post by RTH10260 »

keith wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2023 9:35 pm
:confuzzled: How about Q-Antum Physics :?: :think:
Reddog

Hijack This Thread

Post by Reddog »

keith wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2023 9:35 pm
Good thought, I think it’s limited to 100-200 undergraduate classes though. I did have PChem in a different life though.
Lani

Hijack This Thread

Post by Lani »

This is worrisome,

Zero-calorie sweetener linked to heart attack and stroke, study finds
https://www.cnn.com/2023/02/27/health/z ... index.html
A sugar replacement called erythritol – used to add bulk or sweeten stevia, monkfruit and keto reduced-sugar products – has been linked to blood clotting, stroke, heart attack and death, according to a new study.

“The degree of risk was not modest,” said lead study author Dr. Stanley Hazen, director of the Center for Cardiovascular Diagnostics and Prevention at the Cleveland Clinic Lerner Research Institute.

People with existing risk factors for heart disease, such as diabetes, were twice as likely to experience a heart attack or stroke if they had the highest levels of erythritol in their blood, according to the study, published Monday in the journal Nature Medicine.

“If your blood level of erythritol was in the top 25% compared to the bottom 25%, there was about a two-fold higher risk for heart attack and stroke. It’s on par with the strongest of cardiac risk factors, like diabetes,” Hazen said.

Additional lab and animal research presented in the paper revealed that erythritol appeared to be causing blood platelets to clot more readily. Clots can break off and travel to the heart, triggering a heart attack, or to the brain, triggering a stroke. ....
More at the link. Very creepy.
Image You can't wait until life isn't hard anymore before you decide to be happy.
sugar magnolia

Hijack This Thread

Post by sugar magnolia »

Think good legal thoughts for me today. I have to testify at a prelim against a former employee who embezzled $50,000 from our nonprofit. She has a concurrent civil suit against us (the Board) in county court too, so unless something totally unexpected happens today this is only the first time I'll be on the stand.
Lani

Hijack This Thread

Post by Lani »

sugar magnolia wrote: Tue Feb 28, 2023 5:58 am Think good legal thoughts for me today. I have to testify at a prelim against a former employee who embezzled $50,000 from our nonprofit. She has a concurrent civil suit against us (the Board) in county court too, so unless something totally unexpected happens today this is only the first time I'll be on the stand.
Good legal thoughts coming your way! :bighug:
Image You can't wait until life isn't hard anymore before you decide to be happy.
Foggy
Dick Tater
Verified: as seen on qvc zombie apocalypse

Hijack This Thread

Post by Foggy »

Sugar M. :lovestruck: ❤️
sugar magnolia

Hijack This Thread

Post by sugar magnolia »

Thanks y'all. This is going to be a tough one. She was a 26 year employee and I've been a member for 16 years, and we all liked her! And trusted her! It was a huge disappointment and deep feeling of betrayal when we discovered it. This is just the criminal case today but her civil case against us stings even worse. We're all liars, untrustworthy, deceitful, you name it. It reads like a thesaurus list of ways to call us untruthful and vindictive. I have finally come around to hoping it gets sent to the Grand Jury and she is eventually found guilty. Our efforts since last September to work things out have been thrown back in our face so I couldn't care less if she winds up with a felony conviction and whatever sentence the Judge gives her.

It didn't have to be like this.
Kriselda Gray
Verified:

Hijack This Thread

Post by Kriselda Gray »

sugar magnolia wrote: Tue Feb 28, 2023 6:41 am It didn't have to be like this.
:bighug: :bighug: :bighug:
Tiredretiredlawyer
Verified: ✅🐴🐎🦄🌻5000 posts and counting

Hijack This Thread

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer »

:bighug: :bighug:

sugar - BTDT with a former employee.
"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.
RTH10260

Hijack This Thread

Post by RTH10260 »

sugar magnolia wrote: Tue Feb 28, 2023 6:41 am Thanks y'all. This is going to be a tough one. She was a 26 year employee and I've been a member for 16 years, and we all liked her! And trusted her! It was a huge disappointment and deep feeling of betrayal when we discovered it. This is just the criminal case today but her civil case against us stings even worse. We're all liars, untrustworthy, deceitful, you name it. It reads like a thesaurus list of ways to call us untruthful and vindictive. I have finally come around to hoping it gets sent to the Grand Jury and she is eventually found guilty. Our efforts since last September to work things out have been thrown back in our face so I couldn't care less if she winds up with a felony conviction and whatever sentence the Judge gives her.

It didn't have to be like this.
To this armchair warrior it sounds that that one should not survive a motion to dismiss. Especially if the criminal case and evidence out of it can be presented.
AndyinPA
Verified:

Hijack This Thread

Post by AndyinPA »

Good luck, Sugar!
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
Danraft

Hijack This Thread

Post by Danraft »

Lani wrote: Tue Feb 28, 2023 4:57 am This is worrisome,

Zero-calorie sweetener linked to heart attack and stroke, study finds
https://www.cnn.com/2023/02/27/health/z ... index.html
A sugar replacement called erythritol – used to add bulk or sweeten stevia, monkfruit and keto reduced-sugar products – has been linked to blood clotting, stroke, heart attack and death, according to a new study.

“The degree of risk was not modest,” said lead study author Dr. Stanley Hazen, director of the Center for Cardiovascular Diagnostics and Prevention at the Cleveland Clinic Lerner Research Institute.

People with existing risk factors for heart disease, such as diabetes, were twice as likely to experience a heart attack or stroke if they had the highest levels of erythritol in their blood, according to the study, published Monday in the journal Nature Medicine.

“If your blood level of erythritol was in the top 25% compared to the bottom 25%, there was about a two-fold higher risk for heart attack and stroke. It’s on par with the strongest of cardiac risk factors, like diabetes,” Hazen said.

Additional lab and animal research presented in the paper revealed that erythritol appeared to be causing blood platelets to clot more readily. Clots can break off and travel to the heart, triggering a heart attack, or to the brain, triggering a stroke. ....
More at the link. Very creepy.
sugar magnolia

Hijack This Thread

Post by sugar magnolia »

A 1:15 court time and her lawyer texts at 11:30 to say it's being turned over to the DA to present to the Grand Jury whether she has the prelim or not, so NO COURT today!!! Apparently, the city prosecutor had a little chat with her attorney this morning and he decided they might want to skip this hearing. :)
p0rtia

Hijack This Thread

Post by p0rtia »

:bighug:
AndyinPA
Verified:

Hijack This Thread

Post by AndyinPA »

:thumbsup: :bighug:
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
RTH10260

Hijack This Thread

Post by RTH10260 »

Linda Kasabian: Manson family member dies at 73

Joe Sommerlad
Tue, February 28, 2023 at 4:07 PM GMT+1

Linda Kasabian, a member of Charles Manson’s notorious “Manson Family” criminal gang, has died at the age of 73.

Kasabian passed away on 21 January at a hospital in Tacoma, Washington. Her body has reportedly since been cremated but her precise cause of death has not been revealed.

A death certificate, obtained by TMZ, recorded that Kasabian had changed her surname in later life to “Chiochios” in order to protect her identity after she ended her association with the cult.

After participating in the “two nights of mayhem” in which the gang killed seven people in Los Angeles, California, in August 1969, Kasabian agreed to serve as a key prosecution witness at Manson’s trial in 1970-71 in exchange for immunity.

Over the course of 18 days of testimony, Kasabian described the murder of Sharon Tate, the pregnant actress wife of the Polish film director Roman Polanski after gang members Charles “Tex” Watson, Patricia Krenwinkel, Susan Atkins and herself entered the couple’s Cielo Drive home in Benedict Canyon.

She testified that Watson, Krenwinkel and Atkins fatally shot and stabbed five victims at the scene – Tate and her unborn child Paul, hairdresser Jay Sebring, coffee heiress Abigail Folger, her boyfriend Wojciech Frykowski and Steven Parent, a friend of Tate’s groundskeeper – while Mr Polanski was away in Europe shooting a movie.

Kasabian denied taking part in that atrocity but admitted to being the driver on the second night of the attacks, when Leno and Rosemary LaBianca were also murdered inside their home.

Kasabian’s testimony helped secure murder convictions for Manson and the other members of the “Family” who carried out his orders and were subsequently handed life sentences.

Their leader passed away in 2017 behind bars after suffering a cardiac arrest arising from colon cancer.

https://news.yahoo.com/manson-family-me ... 39673.html
(original: The Independent)
AndyinPA
Verified:

Hijack This Thread

Post by AndyinPA »

Thanks for not putting it in RIP.
Phoenix520
Verified:

Hijack This Thread

Post by Phoenix520 »

Tiredretiredlawyer wrote: Tue Feb 28, 2023 8:40 am :bighug: :bighug:

sugar - BTDT with a former employee.
Yup. Fucker tried to take the whole bidness from us. Did not prevail, and then he died. We had a key man policy on him that we never stopped, so we got some costs back.
Dave from down under

Hijack This Thread

Post by Dave from down under »

me: Watch the video at :)

https://www.abc.net.au/news/science/202 ... /102027600

Ancient medieval texts suggest a sea monster in Norse sagas called Hafgufa was a trap-feeding whale

:snippity:

Stories of sea monsters
The first hints of a sea creature that trapped fish appeared in Greek manuscripts from Egypt around 300 AD, which were copied and embellished in several languages for centuries after.

An Icelandic story from 1200 AD starts: Es hualr i sø̨ er heiter aspedo (there is a whale in the sea called the aspido).

It is believed this formed the basis of 13th-century depictions of the Hafgufa, which was said to emit a smell and trap fish in its mouth, in a text known as Konungs skuggsjá (the King's Mirror).
RTH10260

Hijack This Thread

Post by RTH10260 »

:doh: :cantlook:
Schoolchildren stranded on US ski trip after hotel ‘shredded 44 passports’ by mistake

Lucy Skoulding
Tue, February 28, 2023 at 7:00 PM GMT+1

Children from a UK school have been stranded in the US after a ski trip because their hotel accidentally shredded their passports.

Pupils at Barr Beacon School, in Walsall, were meant to fly home from Boston on Saturday after their skiing holiday but they missed their flight back after the mistake.

Teachers couldn’t believe it when the Kancamagus Lodge Hotel in New Hampshire where the group had been staying said they had accidentally destroyed 44 passports.

The group has been forced to go to the British Embassy in New York to obtain emergency travel documents, delaying their journey home by four days.

Parents of the children who have been stranded were left shocked, with one saying they “couldn’t believe their eyes” when they read a message informing them about the passports.

The school’s headteacher, Katie Hibbs, has praised the teachers who are currently managing the situation in America.

She told the Express & Star: “We have a group of pupils and staff currently in New York after spending a week skiing in Boston.

“Unfortunately, the hotel managed to destroy the passports in their care, which has led to all those affected having to apply for Emergency Travel Documents.

“The group are at the British Embassy in New York today to finalise all of the documents before they fly home on Tuesday, four days later than planned.

https://news.yahoo.com/schoolchildren-s ... 10016.html
(original: The Independent)
Phoenix520
Verified:

Hijack This Thread

Post by Phoenix520 »

Oops! There was a passport in that pile of documents I just shredded.

Forty four times? I truly don’t understand how.
noblepa

Hijack This Thread

Post by noblepa »

Phoenix520 wrote: Tue Feb 28, 2023 5:20 pm Oops! There was a passport in that pile of documents I just shredded.

Forty four times? I truly don’t understand how.
I know it is common in Europe, for hotels to keep guest's passports during their stay, but I didn't think that was a thing in the US.
AndyinPA
Verified:

Hijack This Thread

Post by AndyinPA »

That surprised me, too.

Return to “General Stuff”