Weather Alerts

Lani

Re: Weather Alerts

Post by Lani »

I didn't know that there is a Hurricane Nora causing heavy rain and flooding in Mexico. It's just off the coast of west-central Mexico. https://www.nhc.noaa.gov/text/refresh/M ... 1137.shtml?
Image You can't wait until life isn't hard anymore before you decide to be happy.
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

Slim Cognito wrote: Sun Aug 29, 2021 7:38 am
filly wrote: Sun Aug 29, 2021 1:26 am
AND brisket tacos!
:lovestruck:
Yep! When we still lived down in Baytown Mrs.V. if she happened to be driving by the giant Buccee's would pick up some of those for dinner. :biggrin:
“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
Phoenix520
Verified:

Post by Phoenix520 »

Butterfly Bilderberg, I’ve got two words for you: Brookings, Oregon.
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

Ida is an over achiever. :(

I fear that some coastal communities will be damaged so badly that they will never recover. Louisiana has been losing land to the sea for decades. :(
“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

filly

Post by filly »

Volkonski wrote: Sun Aug 29, 2021 9:59 am
filly wrote: Sun Aug 29, 2021 1:26 am
AND brisket tacos!
:lovestruck:
Yep! When we still lived down in Baytown Mrs.V. if she happened to be driving by the giant Buccee's would pick up some of those for dinner. :biggrin:
In the midst of the Great Texas Freeze we came upon the Bastrop Buccee's and those brisket tacos were manna from heaven. Maybe this should be in the Food thread. :bag:
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

Meanwhile at Buccee's Baytown-

Sigh. Been there, done that. :(
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

Butterfly Bilderberg wrote: Sun Aug 29, 2021 12:17 am This fells like a strong dose of deja vu. I dread the news over the next 48 hours.

On a lighter note, if my house is rubble when I return I need suggestions for places (in the U.S.) to rebuild, because I am ready to retire any day between now and 2025. Climate, culture, not too hot, not too cold, foodie and live music paradise. Post your ideas. :shrug:

BC of all the water (and governor) problems here in FL, we've been thinking about Albuquerque. I think Santa Fe's altitude may be a problem for hubs heart issues, also too rich for our budget. But we'd fit in.

My biggest worry about moving there is, ironically, water. I don't know if NM also has to deal with the water shortage problems they're having further west.
I think the water issues in Albuquerque are the same as the rest of the West. I had a friend whose business was dealing with water issues in NM for the last 30 years. It's complicated.

Santa Fe is lovely! But it is high. A friend with health issues has to use oxygen at night there. If she goes to visit her daughter in Albuquerque, she doesn't need it.

But it doesn't have hurricanes! :dance:
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

:roll:
notorial dissent

Post by notorial dissent »

Albuquerque is nice, there are a lot of things I like about it. It is also hot, dry, and high. Sort of has two seasons, hot, and cold. Water is tight and expensive.
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

Luke
Location: @orly_licious With Pete Buttigieg and the other "open and defiant homosexuals" --Bryan Fischer AFA

Post by Luke »

Excellent picks of Jeff Masters and Rick Knabb to follow on Twitter, got to know both guys through Bryan. Great choice FiveAcres, Dr. Masters is incredible.

Landfall at 150mph. Winds 150 miles from center (NE) tropical storm winds, 75 miles for hurricane force winds. Ida is huge for a Category 4 (really a 5 as sadly it looked like, bet is when the dust settles it'll be reclassed which happens). Pressure 1013 normal, Ida 920mb, Katrina 930mb. 93K without power already at 1pm EDT. This wind is like an EF2 tornado, but it isn't hopping around.

As listed above, this station is doing excellent coverage. They also a another full station in a bunker so if the main station fails, they'll still be broadcasting. They also have in Baton Rouge.

There have been a lot of improvements with radars, predictive models, power outage charts and other internet-oriented reporting. It really is incredible what's happened in just the 16 years since Katrina (today). People are connected on social media and have much better reporting. We're really living through an unprecedented time in history.

Here's an interesting 2016 documentary about the rebuilding of the levees:
With the recent flooding of New York and New Jersey by hurricane Sandy it is a good time to revisit New Orleans and the work that was done by the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers to protect it from future flooding. The new system is believed to be Category 5 storm proof. A Category 5 storm has winds up to 155 mph and involves complete roof failure on many residences and industrial buildings. Some complete building failures with small utility buildings blown over or away occurs. Flooding causes major damage to lower floors of all structures near the shoreline. Massive evacuation of residential areas may be required. The areas protected include New Orleans East, metro New Orleans, the 9th Ward, and St. Bernard Parish all of which were inundated during Katrina.

And yet, the new levees are sinking.
New Orleans' levees won't be up to standard as early as 2023; Louisiana will need $200 million to fix them
The Corps warns that the levees “will no longer provide the 1 percent level of risk reduction as early as 2023."
While the notice is somewhat technical, it includes this language: “Absent future (levee) lifts to offset consolidation, settlement, subsidence and sea level rise, risk to life and property in the Greater New Orleans area will progressively increase.”
With the Corps acknowledging that more work needs to be done, Shearer said he is not being an alarmist, just a realist who knows the existential stakes for New Orleans are very steep if the system fails another test like Katrina.

“We know, I think in our hearts and in our bones, that a lot of people in this city will not come back and do it again.”

In other words, re-engineered levees are sinking, requiring more work much sooner than expected to keep the system within the risk posed by a 100-year storm.
https://www.wwltv.com/article/news/hold ... 1e1494430e

BB, there's only one choice: Rancho Santa Margarita, CA 92688. 8-)

By the way, for everybody: In case of emergency, call 949-683-5411. :towel:
Lt Root Beer of the Mighty 699th. Fogbow 💙s titular Mama June in Fogbow's Favourite Show™ Mama June: From Not To Hot! Fogbow's Theme Song™ Edith Massey's "I Got The Evidence!" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C5jDHZd0JAg
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

New Orleans is doomed. ;)
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

I'll bet those people aren't vaxxed either.
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

Return to “General Stuff”