The Media are the Goddam Problem

raison de arizona
Verified: ✔️ he/him/his

Post by raison de arizona »

Pretty sure the WaPo subscription is in my name. That will be canceled by EOD.
Miranda Yaver, PhD!@mirandayaver wrote: Ooh, ooh, tell me what happened next!
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
raison de arizona

raison de arizona wrote: Sun Jun 30, 2024 3:55 pm Image
Follow-up:
IMG_8354.png
IMG_8354.png (442.29 KiB) Viewed 688 times
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
Suranis

Post by Suranis »

raison de arizona wrote: Sun Jun 30, 2024 4:44 pm Pretty sure the WaPo subscription is in my name. That will be canceled by EOD.
WA-PO is going through some changes behind the scenes y'all probably should be aware of. Via Private Eye...

PE-01.jpg
PE-01.jpg (275.75 KiB) Viewed 679 times
Eh not a good photo. I'll take another one tomorrow that hopefully will be easier to read
Hic sunt dracones
raison de arizona

WaPo is offering me a $29/yr special offer since I am canceling my $120/yr subscription. I'm struggling with the courage of my convictions because that is a good deal.
p0rtia

Post by p0rtia »

raison de arizona wrote: Sun Jun 30, 2024 7:32 pm WaPo is offering me a $29/yr special offer since I am canceling my $120/yr subscription. I'm struggling with the courage of my convictions because that is a good deal.
Been there. Failed the test. :bag:
raison de arizona

Fuck the NYT. Over a hundred years of being on the wrong side of history.
https://x.com/cliffschecter/status/1807495020330807394
Cliff Schecter @cliffschecter wrote: On Nov 21, 1922, the NY Times wrote about some guy Hitler. They actually wrote these 2 paragraphs in a row:

"So violent are Hitler's fulminations against Jews that a number of prominent Jewish citizens are reported to have sought safe asylum in the Bavarian highlands"

"But several reliable, well-informed sources confirmed Hitler's anti-Semitism was not so genuine or violent as it sounded.."

Ya see! No biggie! The NY Times, being wrong, dumb & pigheaded for well over 100 yrs *UNSUBSCRIBE
Still waiting to see if the boss is going to stop the funding from my pocket at least.
raison de arizona

tfg is openly calling for Liz Cheney's death. Why isn't this headline news?
raison de arizona

Brian Stelter? That's right, he can eat a dick and choke on it. Fuck him. He doesn't get a bag. How do these assholes get on the air? And how do we get them off it? No one wants to listen to this blatant bullshit.
Nicholas Grossman @NGrossman81 wrote: Nope. I’m drawing a line.
Talk about Biden’s age, bad debate, what Dems should do, etc. Make it a top story, sure.
But the only thing the election is about? No.
It’s still effectively an up-or-down vote on Constitutional democracy, and media obfuscating that would be malpractice.
p0rtia

Post by p0rtia »

"The NY Times is to Biden as Piers Morgan is to Meghan Markle: A pompous but shallow media fixture whose inability to get over being rejected by someone who they assumed wanted them has led them to behave like an obsessive stalker with a clear desire for revenge"
Dr. Ken

Post by Dr. Ken »

Didn't know where to put this but
ImageImagePhilly Boondoggle
raison de arizona

Just an NYT blast from the -more recent- past.
https://www.nytimes.com/2017/01/31/opin ... rsuch.html
Ben-Prime
Verified: ✅MamaSaysI'mBonaFide

Post by Ben-Prime »

raison de arizona wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2024 11:34 pm Just an NYT blast from the -more recent- past.
https://www.nytimes.com/2017/01/31/opin ... rsuch.html
Seeing Katyal on the screen the last day or so on the SCOTUS decision fallout, I wanted just once someone to raise this op-ed with him. So far, I haven't seen it, but in fairness, I've been hella busy winding down my tour at my current assignment and am not at my desk for more than 10-15 minutes at a time to catch snippets of the panels.
But the sunshine aye shall light the sky,
As round and round we run;
And the truth shall ever come uppermost,
And justice shall be done.

- Charles Mackay, "Eternal Justice"
raison de arizona

I'm not going to bother gathering links, because frankly, fuck Jake Tapper, but he posted a bunch of tweets this morning about Democrat governors getting together to discuss the Biden situation, such as it is, but then it turned out it was all BS so he deleted them all.

Way to go Jake!

Doorknob.
raison de arizona

Wow, what an unmitigated asshole Brian Stelter is.
Brian Stelter @brianstelter wrote: Today, of all days...
President Biden @POTUS wrote: Today I signed the National Plan to End Parkinson’s Act – a law that will help prevent, treat, and cure Parkinson’s disease and similar disorders.

This law is about dignity. It gives people hope that we can end this cruel disease and that we can still do big things.
keith
Occupation: Retired Computer Systems Analyst Project Manager Super Coder
Verified: ✅lunatic

Post by keith »

raison de arizona wrote: Wed Jul 03, 2024 12:12 am Wow, what an unmitigated asshole Brian Stelter is.
Brian Stelter @brianstelter wrote: Today, of all days...
President Biden @POTUS wrote: Today I signed the National Plan to End Parkinson’s Act – a law that will help prevent, treat, and cure Parkinson’s disease and similar disorders.

This law is about dignity. It gives people hope that we can end this cruel disease and that we can still do big things.
Two things:

1) Marty McFly should be there for the signing ceremony.
2) If it can 'fix' Linda Ronstadt, the sooner they get 'er done, the better. Maybe they can hook up with the Doc's DeLorean and go back a couple of decades?
Be assured that a walk through the ocean of most souls Would scarcely get your feet wet
raison de arizona

The end of Democracy doesn't make the front page? Sheesh, tough crowd.
Horatio McFlabbergasted @HMcdoolittle wrote: Washington Post this morning. Democracy may end. Details on A4.
Ben-Prime
Verified: ✅MamaSaysI'mBonaFide

Post by Ben-Prime »

raison de arizona wrote: Wed Jul 03, 2024 9:54 am The end of Democracy doesn't make the front page? Sheesh, tough crowd.
Horatio McFlabbergasted @HMcdoolittle wrote: Washington Post this morning. Democracy may end. Details on A4.
I mean, in fairness, their motto is 'Democracy Dies in Darkness'. Who knew it was aspirational?
But the sunshine aye shall light the sky,
As round and round we run;
And the truth shall ever come uppermost,
And justice shall be done.

- Charles Mackay, "Eternal Justice"
p0rtia

Post by p0rtia »

:rimshot:
Foggy
Dick Tater
Verified: Inventor of flag baseball

Post by Foggy »

Democracy is dying in broad fucking daylight for everyone to see.
raison de arizona

NYT running with straight up misinformation. And P.S. Fuck Brian Stelter.
raison de arizona

Matt Stoller @matthewstoller wrote: First reader comment on this WSJ story: "Pretty horrifying analogy, considering Yoda died in exile after being in charge when the whole Jedi order collapsed and a fascist took over and named himself emperor."
Andrew Elrod @andrewelrod wrote: Lede to a story in the Wall Street Journal on donor conversations atop the Democratic Party.
raison de arizona

NYT is trash.
@StephenWolf.bsky.social @PoliticsWolf wrote: This is what the New York Times chose to publish on Independence Day just one week after the Supreme Court ruled that Republican presidents are above the law.
raison de arizona

https://x.com/Deb4Democracy/status/1808886299031654419
Norman Ornstein @NormOrnstein wrote: Trump says battery powered planes can’t fly in cloudy weather, inflation is 30%. Revelations about shocking Trump rapes and sexual assaults with Jeffrey Epstein. Washington Post leads with two front page stories on Biden’s debate meltdown, pressure to withdraw. One on Trump—on his strategy to lie low because of firestorm over Biden. NOTHING on these Trump scandals. Nothing. Journalistic malpractice to the max. Sleepwalking to autocracy. New slogan for the Post: Democracy dies in negligence.
💙Deb 🇺🇸 @Deb4Democracy wrote: Today’s NY Times has 11 stories about Biden and one about Trump laying low. I’ve seen no stories about the many negatives about DJT or the harrowing Project 2025 for weeks, if ever. It’s an appalling disservice to this country.
pipistrelle

Post by pipistrelle »

And...
p0rtia

Post by p0rtia »

JHK, Chris Cillizza has an annoying voice and even more annoying delivery.

Why am I listening to this schmuck, you ask?

I'm listening to Mona Charon's pod.

Why am I listening to Mona Charon's pod, you ask?

Because the ball gane is over, that's why.

Return to “U.S. Culture and Media”