Coronavirus on a Personal Basis

We have ALL your misinformation, plus some TRUE FACTS and SCIENCE.
Dave from down under

Re: Coronavirus on a Personal Basis

Post by Dave from down under »

:mad:
MN-Skeptic

Post by MN-Skeptic »

I know I probably shouldn't, but I'm going to a grand-niece's 12th birthday party on Aug 29 in NE Iowa. I'm vaccinated and I mask up when shopping, so I highly doubt I'll be bringing Covid to the party. I won't mask up there so I could very well come home with Covid, but if the weather is nice, the party will be outdoors at a campground which minimizes the risk. My husband didn't have many relatives and I really enjoy these folks and have missed seeing them.
sugar magnolia

Post by sugar magnolia »

So we have the grandbaby until Saturday morning and then the other grandmother will come pick her up until Tuesday morning. Yep. Now the daddy has covid. At least they gave in about getting the baby out of the plague house before she gets it too. This is the third day in a row our power has been turned off at 8 and not back on until after 3. They are either replacing poles along the recent construction or trimming tree limbs, depending on who you ask. 96 degrees and thick humidity. MJ has basically been screaming her lungs out since she got here at 11. Lovely fucking day in the neighborhood.
Dave from down under

Sorry to hear

At least the child now has a better chance of survival
Suranis

Post by Suranis »

Well done for taking the baby. Is the Daddy Symptomatic?
Hic sunt dracones
LM K
Occupation: Professor Shrinky Lady, brainwashing young adults daily!

Post by LM K »

MN-Skeptic wrote: Wed Aug 18, 2021 2:40 pm I know I probably shouldn't, but I'm going to a grand-niece's 12th birthday party on Aug 29 in NE Iowa. I'm vaccinated and I mask up when shopping, so I highly doubt I'll be bringing Covid to the party. I won't mask up there so I could very well come home with Covid, but if the weather is nice, the party will be outdoors at a campground which minimizes the risk. My husband didn't have many relatives and I really enjoy these folks and have missed seeing them.
I've been thinking about your plan travel and gathering plans MN-Skeptic.

I understand that you are willing to take a risk with your health. That's your choice.

Here's where I find your decision to not mask unacceptable. The R Naught for delta is 5-7/8. Every person whom is infected spreads covid to at minimum 5 others. If any of those become infected, they spread to another 5-7/8.

Are you prepared to isolate for 14 days beginning immediately after the party? No stops at the gas station or to get food on your way home if your driving? If you're flying, your could be exposing hundreds of strangers.

Your decision to go without a mask makes a decision to expose other people to covid, including any healthcare provider that diagnoses and treats you if necessary. Like my sister whom is a critical care nurse. Whom is isolating herself from her family ... again. Whom can't see her 2 week old granddaughter even though her granddaughter lives a few miles away. Whom can't help her daughter recover from a traumatic birth and C-section.

If you attend, I recommend that you ask every single person to take a covid home test the morning before getting together with any family members one on one or as a group. Even if folks plan to wear a mask.

Delta is one of the most vicious viruses in history. Your choices make choices for others, including the person standing next to you at the grocery store. And before you say that you'll just socially distance from everyone, remember, you're expecting others to not enter your 6 foot bubble. And you don't know stranger's vaccination status.

And if you get infected but remain asymptomatic you won't be able to let contact tracers know to inform others.

I truly appreciate that you want to go maskless. I'd like to spread my dad's ashes in CA as was planned in Sept. But my sister will be treating covid patients at the hospital. And it's not safe for anyone to be at airports 4 times. We don't always get what we want.

All because you wouldn't wear a mask.

I debated all day whether or not to say something. I decided to say something. Because your choice forces consequences for others. And frankly, admitting all of this on fogbow is a cry for others to call you out.
"The jungle is no place for a cellist."
From "Take the Money and Run"
MN-Skeptic

Post by MN-Skeptic »

LM K wrote: Thu Aug 19, 2021 3:28 am
MN-Skeptic wrote: Wed Aug 18, 2021 2:40 pm I know I probably shouldn't, but I'm going to a grand-niece's 12th birthday party on Aug 29 in NE Iowa. I'm vaccinated and I mask up when shopping, so I highly doubt I'll be bringing Covid to the party. I won't mask up there so I could very well come home with Covid, but if the weather is nice, the party will be outdoors at a campground which minimizes the risk. My husband didn't have many relatives and I really enjoy these folks and have missed seeing them.
I debated all day whether or not to say something. I decided to say something. Because your choice forces consequences for others. And frankly, admitting all of this on fogbow is a cry for others to call you out.
Sigh.

You’re right that I shouldn’t go. I changed my reply to the Facebook invite to Can’t Make It. The biggest problem is my unvaccinated niece and her unvaccinated husband with two young children starting school next week. I have a dentist appointment two days later and I would never want to expose them to the virus. I will go visit my vaccinated sister-in-law down there (it’s a 2½ hour drive) on a nice fall day, but it’ll just be the two of us then.

Edited to add - It’s my nephew’s daughter who is turning 12. He and his wife are both vaccinated and his daughter will be getting vaccinated that next week. He’s not happy with his sister procrastinating on getting vaccinated.
LM K

Post by LM K »

Thank you , MN-Skeptic.

I am so ready for this hell to be over!
Uninformed

Post by Uninformed »

MN-Skeptic wrote: Thu Aug 19, 2021 3:50 am “…You’re right that I shouldn’t go. I changed my reply to the Facebook invite to Can’t Make It…”
Much has been made of the emotional and psychological damage done by lock-downs and this is a personal example of the everyday consequences of not accepting that vaccination is the only sensible course. Vaccination is not a silver bullet but has been shown to mitigate the against the more serious affects of Covid although it doesn’t prevent one from being able to infect others.

The decisions of others leave you in the situation that any passing of infection is likely to have more serious consequences. To not take that chance is a rational choice, and a display of your compassion when faced by others without such sense.
If you can't lie to yourself, who can you lie to?
Dave from down under

:yeahthat: :yeahthat:
FiveAcres

Post by FiveAcres »

From Colorado Springs

I went to my dog agility class yesterday. There are three of us and the trainer. Each of us have two dogs in class. We are all fully vaccinated.

We were wondering why the third woman, who lives up in the mountains, was across the parking lot in her car with her dogs. (Once she had decided on her trip down that she might be showing symptoms of C19 and should get a test before exposing the rest of us. She conveyed that information from ten feet away in the parking lot. She is a Republican, but apparently one of the remaining few that believe in science and personal responsibility.)

The trainer went to talk to her and she got out of her car. She was attending, via Zoom, the funeral of a family friend in Houston. Died of Covid. She joined the class late.
Avatar was a photo I took by Killary Fjord in 2005. Killary Fjord is in Northern Connemara, Ireland.
MN-Skeptic

Post by MN-Skeptic »

I graduated from high school in 1971 so I'm invited to two high school 50th reunions this fall - one in Iowa and one in Wisconsin (I moved from there after 7th grade but know a lot of the graduating class). But this thread now has me realizing that with the Delta variant, these could really be super spreader events. The only person I would really like to see is a cousin who I haven't seen in years. I guess I'll just take a trip to Phoenix when things settle down and visit her then.
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

My husband has a class reunion coming up next month. We were planning to attend, but it's an indoors event, so I am very seriously thinking about not going. Also, I'm pretty sure most of the people there will be a RWNJ. That doesn't sound like a pleasant way to spend an evening.
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
sugar magnolia

Post by sugar magnolia »

The good news is, both parents are getting the vaccine now. A little late, but better late than never. My daughter said earlier, "I wouldn't wish this one anyone" and they both have mild cases.
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

:thumbsup: :bighug:
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
slq

Post by slq »

sugar magnolia wrote: Thu Aug 19, 2021 2:46 pm The good news is, both parents are getting the vaccine now. A little late, but better late than never. My daughter said earlier, "I wouldn't wish this one anyone" and they both have mild cases.
Well, I suppose better late than never. I'm glad you (and the other grandparents) have the grandbaby.
"Try not. Do. Or do not. There is no try."
--Yoda
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

Our SIL's (the lawyer) mother has a sudden lack of taste and chest cold symptoms. She is going to get tested ASAP. :?
“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
sugar magnolia

Post by sugar magnolia »

Volkonski wrote: Thu Aug 19, 2021 3:27 pm Our SIL's (the lawyer) mother has a sudden lack of taste and chest cold symptoms. She is going to get tested ASAP. :?
That's how Aidan's started.
Lani

Post by Lani »

I've written about the so called vaccine "mandate" where I work. The attestations were due this week. Check vaccinated, check awaiting 2nd shot, or check not to disclose vaccination status. For the latter, vaccination not required, but weekly testing is! (Or more often as needed.) So far, our method has avoided the screaming and threatening lawsuits about my body/my right to destroy my body choice & religious beliefs. :thumbsup: I'm sure something will happen, tho.

Anyway... Today we have the figures! 77% fully vaccinated. 20% not fully vaccinated or choose not to disclose. (People on leave don't have to file the attestation until they return.) That is way better than we anticipated. Should top 80% soon as people get their 2nd shots.
Image You can't wait until life isn't hard anymore before you decide to be happy.
Phoenix520
Verified:

Post by Phoenix520 »

And if you get infected but remain asymptomatic you won't be able to let contact tracers know to inform others.
This is something I worry about in the wee hours. What if I’m exposed somewhere but don’t know for days or longer and expose my family. :cry:
Lani

Post by Lani »

I worry about that, too. I have a lot of options for free testing, and I'm considering biweekly testing even though I don't have much contact with humans other than phone calls & zoom meetings.
Image You can't wait until life isn't hard anymore before you decide to be happy.
Patagoniagirl

Post by Patagoniagirl »

My mother lives in a lovely independent/assisted facility run by the county. Most of the residents are vaccinated. Her apartment section has active, independent residents. Less than 45% of staff in the entire facility are vaccinated.

The few independent resident who are not vaccinated are allowed to mingle with the rest unmasked. They leave and visit family, go shopping, etc. Unmasked, unvaccinated.

I have seen facility employees at the grocery store, two who have made it abundantly clear they are not vaccinated, shopping and congregating without masks or socially distancing. The only Covid cases have been workers, no residents, but with the relaxed visitations and out-of-facility allowances, I dont want anyone exposed, let alone my mom.

With the Delta Delta variant surging, I am extremely upset, and my mother is panicked. I dont think either of us are unreasonable.

I am waiting on a call back from the Administrator. She is afraid also because she doesn't want to be kicked out for making trouble.

How the fuck can facilities be caring for compromised people like this and not have a gawddamned simple responsibility to be vaccinated and masked?!
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

PG, not good news. My mom spent her last seven years in assisted living, and I've thought frequently over the last year and a half that I'm glad she's not around for this. It would have been tough on all of us, but I don't think she would have understood it.

As for my friend who was diagnosed on Tuesday, she's doing okay, but being severely immunocompromised, she has an uncertain future ahead of her. The antibodies last 60 days, then she can't get another vaccination until November 17, which will be three months from diagnosis. She's going to get some other treatment off and on during this (may be specific to her needs). She considers herself lucky; she has a very bad cough, no sense of taste or smell, feels like she has been hit by a big truck, and says Covid brain fog is very real. She's not having any breathing problems because she already monitors her level and has oxygen at home.

She cancelled the Spain/Portugal trip next month, as are we. Hubby is having medical issues anyway, but our insurance when we booked the trip was cancel for any reason because of the Covid, so we won't have to go the insurance route. I don't think foreign travel is anywhere close in the future.

:grouphug: to all who need it.
LM K

Post by LM K »

sugar magnolia wrote: Thu Aug 19, 2021 2:46 pm The good news is, both parents are getting the vaccine now. A little late, but better late than never. My daughter said earlier, "I wouldn't wish this one anyone" and they both have mild cases.
:bighug:
LM K

Post by LM K »

Patagoniagirl wrote: Fri Aug 20, 2021 3:57 pm My mother lives in a lovely independent/assisted facility run by the county. Most of the residents are vaccinated. Her apartment section has active, independent residents. Less than 45% of staff in the entire facility are vaccinated.

The few independent resident who are not vaccinated are allowed to mingle with the rest unmasked. They leave and visit family, go shopping, etc. Unmasked, unvaccinated.

I have seen facility employees at the grocery store, two who have made it abundantly clear they are not vaccinated, shopping and congregating without masks or socially distancing. The only Covid cases have been workers, no residents, but with the relaxed visitations and out-of-facility allowances, I dont want anyone exposed, let alone my mom.

With the Delta Delta variant surging, I am extremely upset, and my mother is panicked. I dont think either of us are unreasonable.

I am waiting on a call back from the Administrator. She is afraid also because she doesn't want to be kicked out for making trouble.

How the fuck can facilities be caring for compromised people like this and not have a gawddamned simple responsibility to be vaccinated and masked?!
Is contacting the county health department an option?

It sounds like the admin isn't happy with the state of things. What are her options?

Could daily or biweekly testing for staff be implemented? Or will staff scream about their "freedoms" and "HIPAA"?

Check out Bonafide Masks or Project 95 for authentic KN95 and N95 masks.

Return to “COVID-19 and its several variants”