SCOTUS

raison de arizona
Verified: ✔️ he/him/his

Re: SCOTUS

Post by raison de arizona »

Huh, well good. I didn’t expect that.
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
Slim Cognito
Verified:

Post by Slim Cognito »

That's a pleasant surprise. Credit where it's due.

I saw on Marketwatch that the committee vote was tied, but still moving forward. No link yet.
My Crested Yorkie, Gilda and her amazing hair.

ImageImageImage x4
Frater I*I
Verified: ✅Verified Devilish Hyena

Post by Frater I*I »

Slim Cognito wrote: Mon Apr 04, 2022 6:36 pm That's a pleasant surprise. Credit where it's due.

I saw on Marketwatch that the committee vote was tied, but still moving forward. No link yet.
This article mentions it, also reports that Murkowski will vote yea.

https://apnews.com/article/ketanji-brow ... wLTN5wSHCE
"He sewed his eyes shut because he is afraid to see, He tries to tell me what I put inside of me
He's got the answers to ease my curiosity, He dreamed a god up and called it Christianity"

Trent Reznor
raison de arizona

“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
tek

Post by tek »

Apparently "admire and respect" is approximately equal to "thoughts and prayers"
Suranis

Post by Suranis »

Angry Staffer 🌻@Angry_Staffer
·
12h
Can’t wait until later this week when we get to hear about how Jackson is “narrowly” confirmed with 53+ votes in stories which will almost certainly fail to mention that Barrett and Kavanaugh both got less votes.
Hic sunt dracones
Tiredretiredlawyer
Verified: ✅🐴🐎🦄🌻5000 posts and counting

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer »

Suranis- Thanks for this VERY eye opening tweet! I am spreading it throughout Arkansas' liberal social media!!!!!!!!!

May I attribute this to our Irish correspondent? :bighug:
"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.
Suranis

Post by Suranis »

Tiredretiredlawyer wrote: Tue Apr 05, 2022 9:06 am Suranis- Thanks for this VERY eye opening tweet! I am spreading it throughout Arkansas' liberal social media!!!!!!!!!

May I attribute this to our Irish correspondent? :bighug:
Go ahead, but I just copied this Tweet

https://twitter.com/Angry_Staffer/statu ... 5849213962

Thanks for the hug though, needed it. :oopsy:
Hic sunt dracones
Tiredretiredlawyer

:bighug: :bighug: :bighug: :lovestruck:
"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.
andersweinstein

Post by andersweinstein »

Tom Cotton keeps up Republican standards of civility, honesty and respect for the nominee:

BTW he's also a Harvard Law School grad.
RVInit

Post by RVInit »

Maybe he should also be a student of history.
Why John Adams Defended British Soldiers in the Boston Massacre Trials
https://www.history.com/news/boston-mas ... dan-abrams
“A know-it-all is a person who knows everything except for how annoying he is.”

— Demetri Martin
RTH10260
Verified: ✔️ Eurobot

Post by RTH10260 »

U.S. Supreme Court clears the way for unlawful arrest lawsuit against NYPD
By LEONARD GREENE
NEW YORK DAILY NEWS |
APR 04, 2022 AT 6:32 PM

A Brooklyn man falsely arrested in a child molestation case will finally get his day in court after the U.S. Supreme Court paved the way for him to sue the NYPD even though his case was dismissed.

Postal worker Larry Thompson was wrongly accused of sexually abusing his newborn daughter in 2014 and was arrested when he refused to let police in his home without a warrant.

Thompson said cops barged into his Lincoln Place home and handcuffed him after a brief scuffle. The baby was taken to a hospital for evaluation, but the only marks on the child turned out to be diaper rash.

Thompson was charged with resisting arrest and kept in jail for two days. The prosecutor then dropped the charges, and the judge dismissed the case without explanation.

Thompson sued the city, the NYPD and the arresting officer, claiming he was the victim of a malicious prosecution that violated his constitutional rights.

He prevailed before a federal trial judge, but the U.S. Court of Appeals for the 2nd Circuit ruled that such a claim can succeed only when a case ends with some affirmative indication of innocence.

The Supreme Court of the United States disagreed, allowing Thompson to proceed with his lawsuit.

“The question of whether a criminal defendant was wrongly charged does not logically depend on whether the prosecutor or court 0 why the prosecution was dismissed,” Justice Brett Kavanaugh wrote for the court’s majority.

https://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/ny ... story.html

https://www.supremecourt.gov/opinions/2 ... 9_3ea4.pdf
raison de arizona

They know that.
Lani

Post by Lani »

I love her.
Image You can't wait until life isn't hard anymore before you decide to be happy.
Tiredretiredlawyer

She was answering a question from Harvard lawyer Tom Cotton. :sick:
tek

Post by tek »

(CNN) - A 5-4 Supreme Court reinstated a Trump-era rule Wednesday that restricts the authority of states to reject federal permits under the Clean Water Act in another ruling putting the court's emergency docket in the spotlight.
Chief Justice John Roberts joined the court's liberal justices in dissent, arguing that the court's majority had "gone astray" by granting an unwarranted request on its emergency docket.
"That renders the Court's emergency docket not for emergencies at all," Justice Elena Kagan wrote for the four dissenters. She said that the Republican-led states and others that had petitioned the court for emergency relief had not shown they would suffer the necessary irreparable harm to make their case.

[...]
The five conservative justices did not explain their reasoning for reinstating the Trump-era rule.
https://www.cnn.com/2022/04/06/politics ... index.html
raison de arizona

Been stewing about this one all day. How do you overturn decades of precedence without even bothering to explain your reasoning? Is this what we are in for with this new Court makeup?
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
Kendra

Post by Kendra »

Sen Marsha Blackburn says Judge Jackson should’ve been prepared to talk about “biological males competing against biological females” in sports. And says “dark money” and “woke agenda” were reasons why judge didn’t answer question about how to define a woman.
:roll:
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
Kendra

Post by Kendra »

Paul just voted (no of course).

:groupdance:
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

:bunny: :winner: :bunny:
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
raison de arizona

Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

raison de arizona

They left Lindsey in the closet.
John Harwood @JohnJHarwood wrote: update from colleagues @alizaslav and @tedbarrettcnn:

Lindsey Graham didn't wear a tie for the occasion of Ketanji Brown Jackson's confirmation to become the 1st black woman on the Supreme Court

that meant he wasn't allowed on the Senate floor and voted "no" from the cloakroom

Return to “Law and Lawsuits”