Post by neonzx »

Uh oh. Marc Elias's firm is defending Media Matters. Sorry for you, Elon. :lol:
John Thomas8

X -Where Twitter goes to die.

Post by John Thomas8 »

NewMexGirl

Post by NewMexGirl »

neonzx wrote: Fri Dec 01, 2023 7:11 pm Uh oh. Marc Elias's firm is defending Media Matters. Sorry for you, Elon. :lol:
:popcorn:

Abbe Lowell would also be a good choice but I think Mr. Lowell is having too good a time defending Hunter Biden.
RTH10260
Verified: ✔️ Eurobot

Post by RTH10260 »

John Thomas8 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 9:13 am
:shock: :shock: He has a LaVoy :?: Selling MyExcrements :?:
raison de arizona
Verified: ✔️ he/him/his

Post by raison de arizona »

Elon Musk's X platform fueled far-right riots in Ireland, experts say

Elon Musk's social media platform X has fueled far-right disinformation in Ireland and played a key role in riots last month in the country's capital Dublin, experts tell CBS News. The violent clashes erupted on Nov. 23 between about 200 civilians and riot police in central Dublin as demonstrators vented rage after a stabbing incident that left multiple people wounded earlier in the day, including a 5-year-old girl who was hospitalized with serious injuries.

False reports circulating on social media had suggested the stabbings were carried out by an illegal immigrant. The alleged assailant was in fact a naturalized Irish citizen originally from Algeria, the Irish Times reported.

The violence, which saw a tram and a bus set on fire and stores looted, was partially incited by far-right local actors with significant followings on X, which was called Twitter before Musk bought the platform.

"What we saw at the beginning of the riot was what started out to be a protest, you know, either organized by the far-right or if it wasn't organized by the far-right, the far-right wasn't far behind," Matthew Donoghue, an assistant professor in social policy at University College Dublin, told CBS News.

"The fact that we saw attacks on the [police] cordon and the crime scene, these are clearly organized and orchestrated activities which need quite a lot of background organization… this is where we see the far-right's use of X," he said. "They were able to get a lot of people there very quickly to basically take control of that situation, direct it."

Eileen Culloty, a deputy director of the Institute for Media, Democracy and Society at Dublin City University, told CBS News the riots had been plotted by "a core group" of prominent right-wing influencers on X who "have a relatively high profile within that kind of alternative, right-wing world. Some of them will be alternative media outlets, some of them are right-wing anti-immigration activists."
https://www.cbsnews.com/news/elon-musk- ... migration/
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
RTH10260
Verified: ✔️ Eurobot

Post by RTH10260 »

If this can formally substantiated then Elon Musk can prepare for a huge fine by the EU for failing to control hate speech within Europe. He already had been warned.

ETA clarification
NewMexGirl

Post by NewMexGirl »

RTH10260 wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2023 9:23 pm If this can formally substantiated then Elon Musk can prepare for a huge fine by the EU to control hate speech within Europe.
I wondered about that, and what kind of solid evidence the university experts could produce. :popcorn:
Dave from down under

Post by Dave from down under »

The fine can be as much as 8% if profits
Which for

Xitter would be….

Ummm €0
FiveAcres

Post by FiveAcres »

Bluesky invitation code. Bluesky will let me know when it gets used.

bsky-social-igsc5-mmjqy
Avatar was a photo I took by Killary Fjord in 2005. Killary Fjord is in Northern Connemara, Ireland.
raison de arizona

FiveAcres wrote: Wed Dec 06, 2023 8:41 am Bluesky invitation code. Bluesky will let me know when it gets used.

bsky-social-igsc5-mmjqy
I used it. Much thanks, I’ve been wanting to get on there!
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
johnpcapitalist
Verified: ✅ Totally legit!

Post by johnpcapitalist »

Dave from down under wrote: Wed Dec 06, 2023 12:15 am The fine can be as much as 8% if profits
Which for

Xitter would be….

Ummm €0
IIRC (haven't looked at GDPR in years), there's a revenue-based or other alternative calculation method if companies are not profitable. That prevents artificially loading up losses in a subsidiary that violates GDPR to avoid fines for the overall enterprise.
raison de arizona

:crazy:
https://twitter.com/CollinRugg/status/1 ... 70382?s=20
Collin Rugg @CollinRugg wrote: JUST IN: South Carolina state Treasurer Curtis Loftis has announced that South Carolina will be divesting from Disney after the company pulled ads from X.

Good 🔥

Loftis blasted Disney during the announcement for their “far-left activism” saying they should never participate in boycotts that silence “those with less power and money.”

“Disney has abandoned its fiduciary responsibilities to its investors and customers by joining far-left activist in boycotting legal, taxpaying, employment-creating corporations to further Disney’s political agenda.”

South Carolina has $105 million in Disney debt instruments that will mature and won’t be replaced.
Dave from down under

Post by Dave from down under »

Loftis blasted Disney during the announcement of South Carolina anti 1A far-right activism saying the Government will participate in boycotts that silence “those with less power and money.”

“The Government has abandoned its constitutional responsibilities to its citizens by joining far-right activist in boycotting legal, taxpaying, employment-creating corporations to further The GOP political agenda.”
neonzx
Verified: 🤩✅✅✅✅✅🤩

Post by neonzx »

I think Disney is going to be fine without their investment.
raison de arizona

Speaking of investments…
Before Musk's Outburst At Twitter Advertisers, Fidelity Had Taken A Swipe At Valuation
:snippity:
Fidelity previously marked its valuation of Twitter at a discount earlier this year. It raised the valuation in June, July, and August.

A new monthly disclosure report from Fidelity shows the valuation of its Twitter stake at $6,267,608 — representing around 0.01% of the fund's assets.

The latest valuation for October represents a discount of 68.1% from the original purchase price by Musk, as shared by Dan Primack.
:snippity:
https://www.benzinga.com/markets/mutual ... -valuation
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

Elon Musk demands Bob Iger ‘be fired’ after Disney pulled ads from X

https://www.cnn.com/2023/12/07/business ... index.html
The X owner and erratic billionaire conspiracy theorist went on a rampage Thursday against the Disney chief executive, assailing Iger for the Magic Kingdom’s decision to pull advertisements from his imperiled social media platform, and declaring that Iger should be forcibly removed from his job.

“He should be fired immediately,” Musk, who often uses his influential perch to bully critics and others, wrote about Iger on the platform formerly known as Twitter. “Walt Disney is turning in his grave over what Bob has done to his company.”

Representatives for Disney did not immediately respond to a request for comment. But Iger is widely credited for boosting Disney into an entertainment juggernaut through a series of well-executed acquisitions — Star Wars, Marvel Studios, and Pixar — during his first stint as chief executive.

Disney, like a slew of other major companies, stopped advertising on X last month, after Musk endorsed an antisemitic conspiracy theory popular among White supremacists. Musk tacitly apologized for the post last week after the flurry of companies ceased their relationships with X, but simultaneously delivered a profanity-laced message to companies who decline to purchase ads from his social media platform.
“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
Reality Check
Verified: ✅ Curmudgeon

Post by Reality Check »

RC Radio demands that Elon Musk be fired ...

... fired along with his next Starship rocket from Texas, which I'd give a better than even chance of exploding over the Gulf of Mexico.
NewMexGirl

Post by NewMexGirl »

Elmo is the chief proponent of cancel culture.

I suppose he is just cunning enough not to make any cut-and-dried defamatory or libelous remarks about people with deep pockets. Pity. It would bring me so much malicious pleasure if he were to be slammed by a dozen or so lawsuits.
raison de arizona

TheQuartering @TheQuartering wrote: 3h
Think about how much letting Alex Jones BACK on X would make the machine rage @elonmusk.

It's time.
Erika Wulff Jones @WulffJones wrote: Tucker Carlson’s interview with the most censored man in the World drops tonight!
Elon Musk @elonmusk wrote: Will consider. In general, since this platform aspires to be the global town square, permanent bans should be extremely rare.

Also, if he does say something false on this platform, then @CommunityNotes will correct him, whereas that would not be the case elsewhere.

Let’s hold a poll:
raison de arizona

Reinstating Jones is currently winning at 70% to 30%.
p0rtia

Post by p0rtia »

70 to 30? That gives you a clue as to who is on Twitter these days...
Frater I*I
Verified: ✅Verified Devilish Hyena

Post by Frater I*I »

And naturally Jones is allowed back on...

https://www.npr.org/2023/12/10/12184316 ... alex-jones
"He sewed his eyes shut because he is afraid to see, He tries to tell me what I put inside of me
He's got the answers to ease my curiosity, He dreamed a god up and called it Christianity"

Trent Reznor
neonzx
Verified: 🤩✅✅✅✅✅🤩

Post by neonzx »

Frater I*I wrote: Sun Dec 10, 2023 1:14 pm And naturally Jones is allowed back on...

https://www.npr.org/2023/12/10/12184316 ... alex-jones
He let tfg back on so why not?
pipistrelle

Post by pipistrelle »

The comments looked a lot like they were coming from bots and trolls. Not to sound too conspiracy-ish but I suspect Musk isn't above manipulating these "polls." I doubt decent people play his games anymore.
Estiveo
Verified:

Post by Estiveo »

Well this was inevitable, I guess.
GBAqmN7XgAAMQie.png
GBAqmN7XgAAMQie.png (33.28 KiB) Viewed 13564 times
Image Image Image Image

Return to “Law and Lawsuits”