Bragg Manhattan DA charges tfg? Hush money. tfg “INDICATED!” - CONVICTED!!

Abandon reality, all ye who enter here. *Democracy*Under*Threat*
MN-Skeptic

Post by MN-Skeptic »

Adam Klasfeld
@KlasfeldReports

"Trump gag order appeal dismissed by New York's top court," via @CNBC https://cnb.cx/3z6EqnX

There's "no substantial constitutional question" that's "directly involved," the court found.

Doc https://www.nycourts.gov/ctapps/Decisio ... 061824.pdf
RTH10260
Verified: ✔️ Eurobot

Post by RTH10260 »

BUT... But.... but... he is running sorry - who has ever seen this guy running? campaigning for impotus :twisted:
Kendra

Post by Kendra »

So. Much. Winning.
Tiredretiredlawyer
Verified: ✅🐴🐎🦄🌻5000 posts and counting

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer »

:bunny: :dog: :blissy: :cheer2: :superhero: :groupdance:
"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.
RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 »

Alina Habba ...
Trump seeks recusal of judge who fined him $464M in civil fraud trial
Trump alleges Judge Arthur Engoron violated New York's Code of Judicial Conduct.

ByAaron Katersky and Peter Charalambous
June 21, 2024, 3:22 AM

Former President Donald Trump filed a motion Thursday to try to get the judge who oversaw his civil fraud trial in New York kicked off the case.

The motion alleges that Judge Arthur Engoron violated the rules governing how judges are supposed to behave.

Engoron in February ordered Trump to pay $464 million in disgorgement and pre-judgment interest after he found the former president and his adult sons liable for using "numerous acts of fraud and misrepresentation" to inflate his net worth in order to get more favorable loan terms. Trump has denied all wrongdoing and has appealed the decision in the case.

Trump's attorneys said in Thursday's filing that the judge "may have engaged in actions fundamentally incompatible with the responsibilities attendant to donning the black robe and sitting in judgment."

The defense alleged Engoron spoke to a New York real estate attorney about the substance of Trump's case, in violation of New York's Code of Judicial Conduct. The filing cited a conversation between Engoron and lawyer Adam Leitman Bailey, who alleged he spoke with Engoron three weeks before the judge issued his decision in the case.

"I saw him in the corner [at the courthouse] and I told my client, 'I need to go.' And I walked over and we started talking," Bailey told NBC New York, which first reported the story. "I wanted him to know what I think and why ... I really want him to get it right."

https://abcnews.go.com/US/trump-seeks-r ... =111289231
RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 »

MTN Michael Popok

sugar magnolia

Post by sugar magnolia »

It would be just fine with me if Jack Smith works in "may have engaged in actions fundamentally incompatible with the responsibilities attendant to donning the black robe and sitting in judgment" against Cannon at some point.
Slim Cognito
Verified:

Post by Slim Cognito »

https://www.axios.com/2024/06/21/missou ... trump-case

In a nutshell, Missouri’s AG is going to sue New York for election interference. But if you read to the end of the article, you’ll see that the Missouri AG is being primaried by a member of Trump’s legal team.

Nothing obvious about that.
My Crested Yorkie, Gilda and her amazing hair.

ImageImageImage x4
Foggy
Dick Tater
Verified: and it's really me

Post by Foggy »

So why hasn't he already sued? He's the attorney general, he has dozens of lawyers working for him, and the trial is already long OVER.

What's the point of waiting to file the lawsuit, and instead just announcing that he thinks he's gonna plan to have a definite intention to definitely probably absolutely file the actual lawsuit one of these fine days, but NOT YET. :talktothehand:

For some reason. Maybe publicity.
zekeb
Occupation: Stable genius. One who tosses horseshit with a pitchfork and never misses the spreader.
Verified: ✅Of course

Post by zekeb »

Slim Cognito wrote: Fri Jun 21, 2024 8:53 am https://www.axios.com/2024/06/21/missou ... trump-case

In a nutshell, Missouri’s AG is going to sue New York for election interference. But if you read to the end of the article, you’ll see that the Missouri AG is being primaried by a member of Trump’s legal team.

In the court of bundogs?
Largo al factotum.
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

Bragg Asks Judge to Extend Trump’s Gag Order, Citing Deluge of Threats
Donald J. Trump claims the order has unfairly restricted his free speech rights ahead of his sentencing on 34 felony counts. He has nonetheless attacked the judge, prosecutor and justice system.

https://www.nytimes.com/2024/06/21/nyre ... 595e2e6e66
Prosecutors in Manhattan said on Friday that a judge should keep in place major elements of a gag order that was imposed on Donald J. Trump, citing dozens of threats that have been made against officials connected to the case.

The order, issued before Mr. Trump’s Manhattan criminal trial began in mid-April, bars him from attacking witnesses, jurors, court staff and relatives of the judge who presided over the trial, Juan M. Merchan.

Mr. Trump’s lawyers have sought to have the order lifted since Mr. Trump’s conviction in late May. But in a 19-page filing on Friday, prosecutors argued that while Justice Merchan no longer needed to enforce the portion of the gag order relating to trial witnesses, he should keep in place the provisions protecting jurors, prosecutors, court staff and their families.

The New York Police Department has logged 56 “actionable threats” since the beginning of April directed against Alvin L. Bragg, the Manhattan district attorney who brought the case, and against his family and employees, according to an affidavit provided with the filing.

Such threats, evidently made by supporters of Mr. Trump, included a post disclosing the home address of an employee at the district attorney’s office, and bomb threats made on the first day of the trial directed at two people involved in the case.

The 56 threats that were logged, prosecutors said, did not include the hundreds of “threatening emails and phone calls” that were received by Mr. Bragg’s office in recent months, which the police are “not tracking as threat cases.”
“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
bob

Post by bob »

zekeb wrote: Fri Jun 21, 2024 11:13 am
Slim Cognito wrote: Fri Jun 21, 2024 8:53 am https://www.axios.com/2024/06/21/missou ... trump-case

In the court of bundogs?
SCOTUS, which has original jurisdiction for suits between the states.

Just like when Texas sued Pennslyvania over the 2020 election. :roll: SCOTUS summarily dismissed that nonsense, but two justices (guess which two) said SCOTUS had an obligation not to summarily dismiss it.
Image ImageImage
chancery
Verified:

Post by chancery »

I have questions ...

For one thing, shouldn't it be a suit against Bragg? And even if it were a suit against the City of New York, does that invoke the Court's "State shall be a party" jurisdiction?

State governments have the ability to limit the powers of local governments in any number of respects, and to reserve to the governor and the legislature authority over particular local matters. And I have an idea that some states have a single integrated criminal justice system, so that the state attorney general can, for example, take over a municipal or county prosecution.

But the office of the New York County District Attorney is, so far as I know, completely independent of the New York State government. It's not clear to me, for instance, whether it would be proper for the NYS Attorney General to represent Bragg or the City of New York in the contemplated suit.

And then there's the Younger v. Harris doctrine, under which, roughly speaking, federal courts are precluded from hearing federal claims that intrude on state criminal prosecutions.

:confuzzled:
Of course there are some narrow exceptions to the Younger v. Harris doctrine: bad faith prosecutions against persons known to be innocent; prosecutions that are part of some pattern of harassment against an individual; and state prosecutions under laws that are utterly and irredeemably unconstitutional.

Easy peasy, I guess, since every one of those exceptions clearly applies to Trump: he's known to be innocent, there's a pattern of harrasment reaching back to the Trump foundation matter, and NYS law is certainly utterly and irredeemably unconstitutional to the extent that it purports to exercise criminal jurisdiction over Trump.
:brickwallsmall: :brickwallsmall: :brickwallsmall:
raison de arizona
Verified: ✔️ he/him/his

Post by raison de arizona »

Republican Voters Against Trump @AccountableGOP wrote: Missouri AG Andrew Bailey on why he is suing New York:

“No one would think it’s okay for a rogue prosecutor...to take Lincoln off the campaign trail on the eve of the Civil War for speaking out against slavery. Well, that same thing is happening here today with Trump.”
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
bob

Post by bob »

chancery wrote: Fri Jun 21, 2024 4:23 pm I have questions ...

For one thing, shouldn't it be a suit against Bragg? And even if it were a suit against the City of New York, does that invoke the Court's "State shall be a party" jurisdiction?

State governments have the ability to limit the powers of local governments in any number of respects, and to reserve to the governor and the legislature authority over particular local matters. And I have an idea that some states have a single integrated criminal justice system, so that the state attorney general can, for example, take over a municipal or county prosecution.

But the office of the New York County District Attorney is, so far as I know, completely independent of the New York State government. It's not clear to me, for instance, whether it would be proper for the NYS Attorney General to represent Bragg or the City of New York in the contemplated suit.
These are interesting to law nerds questions.

As you know, the answer is "it depends." In other contexts, states have attempted to disclaim liability by saying, "counties' and states' governments are independent" but in yet other contexts state governments, as the superior governmental interest, have stepped into local affairs.

This context is slightly different: presumably Missouri will attempt to make the state a (nonconsensual) supervisor of the local prosecution.

Too also: The New York Constitution (or statutory law) may likely explain the relationship between the AG and the DAs. (Or maybe not!) But, generally speaking, the AG is considered the chief law enforcement officer, and therefore (in theory) can supervise the DAs (which may (or may not!) be a sufficient jurisdictional hook).

And, as an aside, criminal prosecutions are litigated in New York City in the name of the People of the State of New York.

But, if this ever is filed, I expect:
1) Missouri will name New York State as a defendant;
2) New York will rely primarily on a mind-yer-own-business response; and
3) SCOTUS will tersely deny (9-0, but maybe 7-2).
Image ImageImage
sugar magnolia

Post by sugar magnolia »

Do these (I'm including our AG in MS) chunky fucknuts actually go to lawyering school, or do they just buy a Black's and try to pretend like they did?
Sam the Centipede

Post by Sam the Centipede »

We have our wonderful chancery-bob tag team debates in a nutshell here!
chancery wrote: Fri Jun 21, 2024 4:23 pm Of course there are some narrow exceptions …
bob wrote: Fri Jun 21, 2024 4:44 pm As you know, the answer is "it depends."
:bighug: :thumbsup: Always illuminating! :bighug: :thumbsup:
jemcanada2

Post by jemcanada2 »

sugar magnolia wrote: Fri Jun 21, 2024 4:51 pm Do these (I'm including our AG in MS) chunky fucknuts actually go to lawyering school, or do they just buy a Black's and try to pretend like they did?
And do they use a later edition of Black's Law than the 5th edition that sovcits always quote?
raison de arizona

Ron Filipkowski @RonFilipkowski wrote: Missouri’s ridiculous AG explains his grounds for suing NY to overturn Trump’s conviction. These people are a pathetic clown show of stupidity.
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
bob

Post by bob »

Missouri’s ridiculous AG explains his grounds for suing NY to overturn Trump’s conviction. These people are a pathetic clown show of stupidity.
The AGoMO unironically accused the New York prosecutor of engaging in lawfare.
Image ImageImage
Chilidog

Post by Chilidog »

What particular and concrete grounds does Missouri have in New York?.
raison de arizona

Chilidog wrote: Fri Jun 21, 2024 7:03 pm What particular and concrete grounds does Missouri have in New York?.
MO AG sez that NY is denying MO access to the leading the presidential candidate due to NY tying him up in unlawful lawfare.

Basically.
bob

Post by bob »

Chilidog wrote: Fri Jun 21, 2024 7:03 pm What particular and concrete grounds does Missouri have in New York?.
None. (Just like Texas had no interest in Pennsylvania's 2020 election.)

But in the clip, the AGoMO says Missouri has the "right" to "see" the presidential candidate. :roll:

Even the felony convictions haven't stopped the candidate from being seen. (The opposite, really.)

The clip ends after the non-answer, so I don't know if there was any pushback to the ridiculous response.)
Image ImageImage
bob

Post by bob »

I keep mentioning Texas v. Pennsylvania because it played a large role in Eastman's disbarment.

Basically, whoever signs the lawsuit will be buying an ethics complaint.
Image ImageImage
raison de arizona

https://x.com/KGreenberg_/status/1804261300417032700
Kristy Greenberg @KGreenberg_ wrote: I have a message for DA Bragg and his team: THANK YOU.

Today, DA Bragg justified the need to continue Trump’s gag order by providing details about the serious and repeated threats against prosecutors during the trial. Here’s what we learned:

1. On the first day of trial, two people on the case had bomb threats directed at their homes.
2. The DA and his team have gotten death threats and other threatening posts, including one with a person’s home address and another depicting a sniper sights on them or their family members.
3. During the trial, there were roughly 500 threatening emails and calls to the DA’s office, as well as 56 actionable threats to the DA, his family and team that NYPD deemed serious enough to warrant further investigation.

I cannot imagine the pressure that these prosecutors faced in prosecuting the first criminal trial of a former President with the whole world watching. And I certainly cannot imagine the perseverance and fortitude it must have taken for them to try that case amid such vile threats of violence to themselves and their families.

DA Bragg and his team are exemplary public servants. We should thank them for their service.

Return to “The Big Lie & Aftermath of The Former Guy”