Kendra

Re: Hijack This Thread

Post by Kendra »

Phoenix520
Verified:

Post by Phoenix520 »

Estiveo wrote: Thu Mar 25, 2021 11:23 am Estiveoshot_20210325_082220.jpg
Holy ship, that’s a big boat! I’m astonished it can float.

Yep. Going back to Grand Canyon, South and North Rim, in June.
(Andy said in the NY Investigation of Former Guy thread)

We rafted the Canyon in ‘96. I loved it! The only thing I remember about the roads in or out is outrunning a surprise flash flood that came at us from the left on the way home. That was almost as exciting as Lava Rapid. :mrgreen:
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

Egypt's Suez Canal still blocked as huge ship leaves global trade in a jam
experts said that the frenzied flotation efforts could take weeks, with the head of one of the salvage companies likening the ship to a "beached whale."

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/world/egyp ... d_ms_tw_ma
“It is like an enormous beached whale. It's an enormous weight on the sand,” he said, speaking to Dutch TV.

“We might have to work with a combination of reducing the weight by removing containers, oil and water from the ship, tug boats and dredging of sand.”

"We can't exclude it might take weeks, depending on the situation," he added.

“We have already seen a jump in the price of oil because of the tankers that are sitting at anchor in the Red Sea,” Laleh Khalili, a professor in international politics at Queen Mary University in London, told NBC News.
“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
roadscholar

Post by roadscholar »

Estiveo wrote: Wed Mar 17, 2021 12:39 am Please note hypocritical use of sans serif font in the notice. Bitch might as well have used comic sans, freaking commie.
I hear there's a vaccine now against Helvetica.
The bitterest truth is more wholesome than the sweetest lie.
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

Kate520 wrote: Thu Mar 25, 2021 12:42 pm
Yep. Going back to Grand Canyon, South and North Rim, in June.
(Andy said in the NY Investigation of Former Guy thread)

We rafted the Canyon in ‘96. I loved it! The only thing I remember about the roads in or out is outrunning a surprise flash flood that came at us from the left on the way home. That was almost as exciting as Lava Rapid. :mrgreen:
I have never been to the bottom. My fear of heights keeps me from getting more than about six feet onto the trail that leads down. Just can't do it. We've done some rafting, kayaking, jet boating-- Alaska, Oregon, Maine, Pennsylvania--but not much.
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
Phoenix520
Verified:

Post by Phoenix520 »

My mother, who used to close her eyes while driving across bridges she was that afraid of heights, rode a donkey down the trail to Phantom Ranch! With her eyes mostly open! (There were a couple of places she just couldn’t). She made it and it helped with her acrophobia from then on.
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

Kate520 wrote: Thu Mar 25, 2021 1:46 pm My mother, who used to close her eyes while driving across bridges she was that afraid of heights, rode a donkey down the trail to Phantom Ranch! With her eyes mostly open! (There were a couple of places she just couldn’t). She made it and it helped with her acrophobia from then on.
I've been able a few times to overcome it if it's for a short time. Mt. Pilatus in Switzerland, a place in Bryce Canyon, a few others. But I got myself stuck in Machu Picchu. We climbed to the area that overlooks the flat part. I was sort of okay on the way up, with the wall of the mountain on my right side, and I didn't have to look down. It took three people well over an hour to coax and help me down. The bus left without us. :?
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
noblepa

Post by noblepa »

AndyinPA wrote: Thu Mar 25, 2021 1:55 pm
Kate520 wrote: Thu Mar 25, 2021 1:46 pm My mother, who used to close her eyes while driving across bridges she was that afraid of heights, rode a donkey down the trail to Phantom Ranch! With her eyes mostly open! (There were a couple of places she just couldn’t). She made it and it helped with her acrophobia from then on.
I've been able a few times to overcome it if it's for a short time. Mt. Pilatus in Switzerland, a place in Bryce Canyon, a few others. But I got myself stuck in Machu Picchu. We climbed to the area that overlooks the flat part. I was sort of okay on the way up, with the wall of the mountain on my right side, and I didn't have to look down. It took three people well over an hour to coax and help me down. The bus left without us. :?
I experienced something a little like that at Chichen Itza, the Mayan city in Yucatan, Mexico, in 2004.

At that time, the public was allowed to climb to the top of the large pyramid. The steps on the sides of the pyramid are very steep. The rise is longer than the tread on each step, meaning that the slope is more than 45 degrees. I forget how tall the structure is, but about halfway up, I looked around at the surrounding jungle, and suddenly remembered that I am mildly afraid of heights, especially if there is no guard rail or fence.

I made it to the top, where there is a small temple. The surrounding walkway is less than four feet wide, and the wall of the temple slopes outward, so if you stand with your back to the wall, your feet are thrust out into the walkway. Everyone up there is admiring the wonderful view, so no one is paying too much attention to their feet. I was always afraid that someone would trip and take a header down the side of the pyramid.

Going up wasn't too bad. There was a thick rope strung from the top to give climbers something to hang on to. Going down was problematic, since, as I said the steps were so high, maybe 18 inches. I ended up scooting down by sitting on my butt, facing away from the pyramid, and working my way down, one step at a time, like a little kid going down the stairs at home.

I've seen recent pictures of the site, and it appears that they no longer allow climbers. The rope seems to be gone, and I didn't see any climbers on the pyramid.
Phoenix520
Verified:

Post by Phoenix520 »

I once got stuck like that halfway up a
fire observation tower ladder in a state park in MA. Nothing as exotic as Machu Picchu or Chichen Itza :lol: .

Like the Ever Given, I blocked climbers going up and coming down. Those behind me went back down; those coming down scrambled over me as best they could. The last guy down took my ankle and gently talked me down with him.
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

I watched my husband climb at Chichen Itsa. Never would I have tried that. He didn't do it the second time we were there. I can't remember if it was because it was already closed off, or if once was enough. A couple of people got killed climbing every year, I think.
bill_g
Verified: ✅ Checked Republic ✓ ᵛᵉʳᶦᶠᶦᵉᵈ

Post by bill_g »

Gotta respect the height cuz it loves you. It and it's cousin gravity wanna give you a big dirt kiss real bad.
Maybenaut
Verified: ✅✅

Post by Maybenaut »

I’ve been up to the base of Half Dome in Yosemite. It’s a nine-mike hike mostly up hill just to get to the base, then you have to go the last 500 feet using a cable. By the time I got to the base I was exhausted and my hands and feet were swollen. I opted to stay at the base while everyone else went up the last bit. I don’t regret it.

One place I *will not* go is in a cave. We’re not far from Luray Caverns, and I’m like, nope.
"Hey! We left this England place because it was bogus, and if we don't get some cool rules ourselves, pronto, we'll just be bogus too!" -- Thomas Jefferson
pipistrelle

Post by pipistrelle »

Maybenaut wrote: Thu Mar 25, 2021 7:57 pm I’ve been up to the base of Half Dome in Yosemite. It’s a nine-mike hike mostly up hill just to get to the base, then you have to go the last 500 feet using a cable. By the time I got to the base I was exhausted and my hands and feet were swollen. I opted to stay at the base while everyone else went up the last bit. I don’t regret it.

One place I *will not* go is in a cave. We’re not far from Luray Caverns, and I’m like, nope.
I love Luray and would like to get back. Going into a cave from a souvenir shop was a trip. It’s a very open cave in most places and well lit. Hyper touristy or was in the dark ages.
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

It's a lovely cave. I have no problem in caves. My favorite is Carlsbad.
Phoenix520
Verified:

Post by Phoenix520 »

Hiking on that same Grand Canyon trip, there was a 1/4 mile stretch of trail that threatened to get me. The trail there was about 24” wide. Sheer cliff going up on one side, nothing at all on the other. I started to hyperventilate and get very dizzy.

“Distract me!”

My friend Kari regaled me with wonderful stories about her father and his twin brother, who both became physicists and were in competition with each other from childhood.

I don’t remember them now. ;) They kept me from falling off the cliff though.
Sunrise

Post by Sunrise »

noblepa wrote: Thu Mar 25, 2021 2:31 pm
:snippity:
I experienced something a little like that at Chichen Itza, the Mayan city in Yucatan, Mexico, in 2004.

At that time, the public was allowed to climb to the top of the large pyramid. The steps on the sides of the pyramid are very steep. The rise is longer than the tread on each step, meaning that the slope is more than 45 degrees. I forget how tall the structure is, but about halfway up, I looked around at the surrounding jungle, and suddenly remembered that I am mildly afraid of heights, especially if there is no guard rail or fence.

I made it to the top, where there is a small temple. The surrounding walkway is less than four feet wide, and the wall of the temple slopes outward, so if you stand with your back to the wall, your feet are thrust out into the walkway. Everyone up there is admiring the wonderful view, so no one is paying too much attention to their feet. I was always afraid that someone would trip and take a header down the side of the pyramid.

Going up wasn't too bad. There was a thick rope strung from the top to give climbers something to hang on to. Going down was problematic, since, as I said the steps were so high, maybe 18 inches. I ended up scooting down by sitting on my butt, facing away from the pyramid, and working my way down, one step at a time, like a little kid going down the stairs at home.
Glad to hear about someone else scooting down Chichen Itza on their butt. I’d still be at the top if I’d had to walk down, as I was absolutely petrified of falling while walking down. I was OK going up, and then panicked when I realized how high it really was.
RVInit

Post by RVInit »

bill_g wrote: Thu Mar 25, 2021 6:53 pm Gotta respect the height cuz it loves you. It and it's cousin gravity wanna give you a big dirt kiss real bad.
:lol:
“A know-it-all is a person who knows everything except for how annoying he is.”

— Demetri Martin
neonzx
Verified: 🤩✅✅✅✅✅🤩

Post by neonzx »

Pilot decided to end his career with a rant on an open radio mic. Oh well... :whistle:

Southwest pilot on hot mic goes on expletive-laden rant against the Bay Area
https://www.sfgate.com/travel/article/p ... 049942.php
March 24, 11:15 a.m. In a hot mic incident recorded over the Mineta San Jose International Airport’s air traffic control scanner, an unidentified pilot was heard delivering an expletive-heavy rant, according to the travel site One Mile at a Time.

In the March 12 recording, the pilot says, “F—k this place, goddamn liberal f—ks.” He then continues, making several other curse-word-laden comments before being interrupted by what seems to be an air traffic controller.

The audio is archived online at Live ATC, a website that livestreams air traffic control audio transmissions. Though the audio is fuzzy and the context of the remarks unclear, the pilot can be heard repeatedly cursing.

“F—king weirdos, probably driving around in f—king Hyundais, f—king roads and s—t that go slow as f—k,” and, “You don’t have balls unless you’re f—king rolling coal, man, goddamn it.”

Live ATC confirmed the authenticity of the recording, but not which pilot or airline might have been involved. “We can neither confirm nor verify who made those comments,” a company representative wrote in an email.
The audio is on youtube, but can't be embedded:
https://youtu.be/nQaYKOquFyI
tek

Post by tek »

Daughter notes:
I mean, it's San Jose, so all the liberal f--ks drive Teslas.
Greatgrey
Verified: 💲8️⃣

Post by Greatgrey »

neonzx wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 6:15 am Pilot decided to end his career with a rant on an open radio mic. Oh well... :whistle:

Southwest pilot on hot mic goes on expletive-laden rant against the Bay Area
https://www.sfgate.com/travel/article/p ... 049942.php
March 24, 11:15 a.m. In a hot mic incident recorded over the Mineta San Jose International Airport’s air traffic control scanner, an unidentified pilot was heard delivering an expletive-heavy rant, according to the travel site One Mile at a Time.

In the March 12 recording, the pilot says, “F—k this place, goddamn liberal f—ks.” He then continues, making several other curse-word-laden comments before being interrupted by what seems to be an air traffic controller.

The audio is archived online at Live ATC, a website that livestreams air traffic control audio transmissions. Though the audio is fuzzy and the context of the remarks unclear, the pilot can be heard repeatedly cursing.

“F—king weirdos, probably driving around in f—king Hyundais, f—king roads and s—t that go slow as f—k,” and, “You don’t have balls unless you’re f—king rolling coal, man, goddamn it.”

Live ATC confirmed the authenticity of the recording, but not which pilot or airline might have been involved. “We can neither confirm nor verify who made those comments,” a company representative wrote in an email.
The audio is on youtube, but can't be embedded:
https://youtu.be/nQaYKOquFyI
Not the first time a Southwest shithead has done that.

https://abcnews.go.com/US/pilots-rant-f ... d=13903790
What's the Frequency, Kenneth?
bill_g

Post by bill_g »

Gigi the cat adopted our war nurse a few years ago. So far this week it spends most of it's day outside sitting on the sidewalk looking up and down the street wondering where Mama is. I took her some food yesterday evening. She nibbled a bit, but mostly just tucked into my thigh as we sat on the curb together.
Tiredretiredlawyer
Verified: ✅🐴🐎🦄🌻5000 posts and counting

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer »

Hypocrisy is not unusual for hate filled rants. This is a perfect example. The guy flying the plane criticizes others for "not rolling coal." :roll:
"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.
bill_g

Post by bill_g »

Tiredretiredlawyer wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 10:29 am Hypocrisy is not unusual for hate filled rants. This is a perfect example. The guy flying the plane criticizes others for "not rolling coal." :roll:
I didn't realize only Liberals drove Hyundais.
zekeb
Occupation: Stable genius. One who tosses horseshit with a pitchfork and never misses the spreader.
Verified: ✅Of course

Post by zekeb »

bill_g wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 10:31 am
Tiredretiredlawyer wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 10:29 am Hypocrisy is not unusual for hate filled rants. This is a perfect example. The guy flying the plane criticizes others for "not rolling coal." :roll:
Conservatives drive 1974 Buick Roadmasters, like Paul Harvey use to sell.
Largo al factotum.
neonzx
Verified: 🤩✅✅✅✅✅🤩

Post by neonzx »

bill_g wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 10:31 am
I thought liberals were suppose to drive a Toyota Prius. Have I been doing it all wrong?

Return to “General Stuff”