1st 2024 Presidential Debate - 6/27/2024 on CNN

What will Trump do on Thursday night during the presidential debate?

He will cancel and try to blame Biden for his own failure to appear.
29%
He will be yelling when they cut his microphone. And when it's on.
33%
He will try to push Biden aside and use his microphone.
11%
He will walk close to Biden and yell really loud so Biden can't speak, trying to use Biden’s mic.
15%
He will take off his shirt and show us the wounds.
5%
He will hire a ringer to debate for him, probably Alex Jones.
3%
He will act thoughtful, presidential, and utterly civilized, and he will do a good job in the debate.
4%

Total votes: 75

MN-Skeptic

Post by MN-Skeptic »

Here are CNN's rules for qualifying to participate in the debate (sorry, RFK Jr, you do not qualify :lol: ) -

CNN TO HOST 2024 ELECTION PRESIDENTIAL DEBATE BETWEEN PRESIDENT JOE BIDEN AND FORMER PRESIDENT DONALD J. TRUMP ON JUNE 27
CNN will host an election debate between President Joe Biden and former President Donald J. Trump on June 27, 2024 at 9pm ET from the crucial battleground state of Georgia.

The debate will be held in CNN’s Atlanta studios. CNN Anchors Jake Tapper and Dana Bash will serve as moderators. To ensure candidates may maximize the time allotted in the debate, no audience will be present. Additional details will be announced at a later date.

To qualify for participation, candidates must fulfill the requirements outlined in Article II, Section 1 of the Constitution of the United States; file a Statement of Candidacy with the Federal Election Commission; a candidate’s name must appear on a sufficient number of state ballots to reach the 270 electoral vote threshold to win the presidency prior to the eligibility deadline; agree to accept the rules and format of the debate; and receive at least 15% in four separate national polls of registered or likely voters that meet CNN’s standards for reporting.

Polls that meet CNN editorial standards and will be considered qualifying polls include those sponsored by: CNN, ABC News, CBS News, Fox News, Marquette University Law School, Monmouth University, NBC News, the New York Times/Siena College, NPR/PBS NewsHour/Marist College, Quinnipiac University, the Wall Street Journal, and the Washington Post.

The polling window to determine eligibility for the debate opened March 13, 2024, and closes seven days before the date of the debate.
Tim Walz’ Golden Rule: Mind your own damn business!
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

bob wrote: Wed May 15, 2024 3:14 pm
AndyinPA wrote: Wed May 15, 2024 2:37 pm Isn't this a little early as they aren't even "official" candidates yet?
Well, they are official candidates at this point: Candidates for their parties' nominations. ;)

But I take your point (and I somewhat agree), in June they'll both still be "presumptive nominees," and not actual nominees. June does feel a bit early for a debate. Yet, as the cartoon suggests, maybe one of the nominees will be in jail come September.
:pray:
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
p0rtia

Post by p0rtia »

And...fuckhead says the debate will be on...Fox.

Oopsie!

First move in the plan to scuttle??? Or a mis-speak?

:bored:
debates.jpg
debates.jpg (316.93 KiB) Viewed 899 times
MN-Skeptic

Post by MN-Skeptic »

aaron navarro
@aaronlarnavarro

Biden campaign signaling the answer is no on a third debate in October hosted by Fox News

"President Biden made his terms clear for two one-on-one debates, and Donald Trump accepted those terms," wrote Biden campaign chair Jen O'Malley Dillon.

“No more debate about debates”
Tim Walz’ Golden Rule: Mind your own damn business!
neonzx
Verified: 🤩✅✅✅✅✅🤩

Post by neonzx »

That's hilarious. Dementia Don.

To borrow from Mike Dunford "LOL, no."
noblepa

Post by noblepa »

Trying to move the goalposts again.
Foggy
Dick Tater
Verified: Inventor of flag baseball

Post by Foggy »

Yanno, the presidential debates used to be run by the Commission on Presidential Debates. For so many years, they almost seemed to be official, and they certainly had a lock on the only officially scheduled debates.

But they didn't make Trump and his minions submit to the COVID-19 testing protocols that the Commission itself put in place.

In the fall of 2020, when we still had no idea how many people were going to die in the pandemic.

So the Biden team left them out this year. They still have a website, but they're dead as a mackerel.

And f*ck 'em if they can't take a joke. :boxing:
Edit: And they have already announced the times and dates and locations of the debates in which no one will participate:

First presidential debate:
Monday, September 16, 2024
Texas State University, San Marcos, TX

Vice presidential debate:
Wednesday, September 25, 2024
Lafayette College, Easton, PA

Second presidential debate:
Tuesday, October 1, 2024
Virginia State University, Petersburg, VA

Third presidential debate:
Wednesday, October 9, 2024
The University of Utah, Salt Lake City, UT

We're gonna call that a big NOPE.
Don't mind me, I just fell out of a coconut tree. 🥥🌴
raison de arizona
Verified: ✔️ he/him/his

Post by raison de arizona »

Trump, Biden debate will face obstacles in bypassing commission, co-chair predict

Two presidential debates have been announced — without the involvement of the Commission on Presidential Debates (CPD) — putting the CPD in a rare and potentially perilous void of irrelevance.

Commission co-chairman Frank Fahrenkopf, a veteran of 33 presidential and vice presidential clashes, isn't convinced President Joe Biden and former President Donald Trump will go through with debates announced for June 27 on CNN and Sept. 10 on ABC. CBS News has proposed a vice presidential debate that Kamala Harris has accepted. Trump, who does not yet have a running mate, has not accepted this debate yet.

"There are a lot of things that have to be worked out," Fahrenkopf told CBS News on this week's episode of "The Takeout." "There's a lot of questions…that aren't to my knowledge worked out yet. That could prevent it from happening."

Fahrenkopf, who, outside of the Biden and Trump campaigns, is possibly the most interested observer of the debate schedule and machinations, listed some unresolved issues: drug tests (Trump said he will "demand" one of Biden); whether the candidates will be seated at a table or standing behind podiums; opening statements; length of response time/rebuttal; and commercial breaks (commission-sponsored debates were 90 uninterrupted minutes).

Eager to share debate commission history, Fahrenkopf said disputes over issues like these came close to paralyzing debates before the commission was formed in 1987.

"That's the reason that we were created," Fahrenkopf said. "The history of two campaigns sitting down and arguing and arguing and arguing. Remember — we went 16 years without debates. Little things can get in the way. I don't know whether that's as true here, but there are a lot of things."
:snippity:
https://www.cbsnews.com/news/trump-bide ... l-debates/
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
New Turtle

Post by New Turtle »

Maybe if the CPD had been more interested in putting on actual debates, they would still be relevant, but they've ceded too much ground to the TV networks and the campaigns.
RVInit

Post by RVInit »

p0rtia wrote: Wed May 15, 2024 2:20 pm So, here's the thing.

Despite my rapidly advancing age--and despite overwhelming evidence to the contrary--I haven't quite gotten rid of the idea that I'm a font of wisdom (don't judge me). So I find myself thinking, "You've gotta be kidding. No _way_ fuckhead shows up for this. Just like he won't testify at any trial, he won't allow the real world to see his ignorance and babble." He has no grasp of any issue; he doesn't know the names of the heads of state internationally, and he sounds like a buffoon.

Just me, then?
Not just you. I do not believe he will show up. He will win by continuing to spew nonsense and have his "big" rallies. This election is going to be like all elections, the low information voters that are fickle are the ones who ultimately decide who wins. And those people have one and only one thing they care about - their perception of the economy. It doesn't matter what Biden does or says or what Trump does or says. Republicans seem to know this, and that is why they behave the way they do. They don't have to have policies, they don't have to debate, and they don't have to say anything that is true or real. Thanks to the goddam media, the perception for low information voters is that under Biden we have runaway inflation (again, it doesn't freaking matter what the real reason for the inflation is) and they will vote accordingly. Trump does not need to debate to win, and I would bet any amount of money that he knows this.
“A know-it-all is a person who knows everything except for how annoying he is.”

— Demetri Martin
noblepa

Post by noblepa »

Foggy wrote: Mon Jun 03, 2024 11:57 am Yanno, the presidential debates used to be run by the Commission on Presidential Debates. For so many years, they almost seemed to be official, and they certainly had a lock on the only officially scheduled debates.
And before the two parties staged a coup and took over the debates, by creating the commission, the League of Women Voters did an infinitely better job of staging debates. The LWV was not controlled by any party and were interested in staging an informative debate about the issues, not about creating sound bites for the candidates.
noblepa

Post by noblepa »

RVInit wrote: Mon Jun 03, 2024 2:43 pm
p0rtia wrote: Wed May 15, 2024 2:20 pm So, here's the thing.

Despite my rapidly advancing age--and despite overwhelming evidence to the contrary--I haven't quite gotten rid of the idea that I'm a font of wisdom (don't judge me). So I find myself thinking, "You've gotta be kidding. No _way_ fuckhead shows up for this. Just like he won't testify at any trial, he won't allow the real world to see his ignorance and babble." He has no grasp of any issue; he doesn't know the names of the heads of state internationally, and he sounds like a buffoon.

Just me, then?
Not just you. I do not believe he will show up. He will win by continuing to spew nonsense and have his "big" rallies. This election is going to be like all elections, the low information voters that are fickle are the ones who ultimately decide who wins. And those people have one and only one thing they care about - their perception of the economy. It doesn't matter what Biden does or says or what Trump does or says. Republicans seem to know this, and that is why they behave the way they do. They don't have to have policies, they don't have to debate, and they don't have to say anything that is true or real. Thanks to the goddam media, the perception for low information voters is that under Biden we have runaway inflation (again, it doesn't freaking matter what the real reason for the inflation is) and they will vote accordingly. Trump does not need to debate to win, and I would bet any amount of money that he knows this.
I hope that, if fuckhead doesn't show up, CNN goes ahead with the debate. They should have an empty podium for him. They should ask questions of the candidates, with the camera showing 10 seconds of Trump's empty podium and then allowing the President to answer the question.

If he does show up, perhaps the two candidates should be in separate studios, so that tfg can't try to wander around behind President Biden, the way he did to HRC in 2016. Or maybe a wall should be erected between them. Personally, I like the idea of putting him on an actual leash, that won't allow him to stray more than three feet from the podium.
RTH10260
Verified: ✔️ Eurobot

Post by RTH10260 »

noblepa wrote: Mon Jun 03, 2024 2:57 pm :snippity:

If he does show up, perhaps the two candidates should be in separate studios, so that tfg can't try to wander around behind President Biden, the way he did to HRC in 2016. Or maybe a wall should be erected between them. Personally, I like the idea of putting him on an actual leash, that won't allow him to stray more than three feet from the podium.
A incredible funny situation though, each opponent has their personal Secret Service teams :lol: Let the team fight it out among themselves whose candidate gets to wander behind whom :roll:
RVInit

Post by RVInit »

RTH10260 wrote: Mon Jun 03, 2024 3:09 pm
noblepa wrote: Mon Jun 03, 2024 2:57 pm :snippity:

A incredible funny situation though, each opponent has their personal Secret Service teams :lol: Let the team fight it out among themselves whose candidate gets to wander behind whom :roll:
:lol: That would be a hoot.

I agree with noblepa that if when Trump does not show up, they have the debate anyway and allow Biden to stand there looking like the grown up and have coherent responses to questions.

I am fearful of how I think the election is going to turn out anyway, given that it's those low information, fickle voters, who change their minds from year to year who actually will make the difference between who wins and who does not win the election. And sadly, the media have been feeding them downers ever since Biden took office, pissing and moaning about every tiny little thing and barely mentioning Biden's Herculean accomplishments. But maybe the very best thing that could happen would be for Trump to not show up and for CNN to go ahead anyway (which they won't) and allow Biden to make his case to those low information dunces that are currently showing all signs of abandoning Biden for Trump this year.

— Demetri Martin
SuzieC
Verified:

Post by SuzieC »

sugar magnolia

Post by sugar magnolia »

RVInit wrote: Mon Jun 03, 2024 3:18 pm But maybe the very best thing that could happen would be for Trump to not show up and for CNN to go ahead anyway (which they won't) and allow Biden to make his case to those low information dunces that are currently showing all signs of abandoning Biden for Trump this year.
What makes you think the low information dunces will watch the debate long enough to be swayed?

Btw, I don't agree with Eeyore scenario. If the media is as biased against Biden as you say then why is he even close to him in the polls? If it was working as planned trump would be the runaway favorite. Just because one faction of people screams louder than another doesn't make them a larger group, it just makes them a louder group. Cibbons are on the low end of primate intelligence, yet they are among the loudest.
RVInit

Post by RVInit »

sugar magnolia wrote: Mon Jun 03, 2024 4:19 pm
RVInit wrote: Mon Jun 03, 2024 3:18 pm But maybe the very best thing that could happen would be for Trump to not show up and for CNN to go ahead anyway (which they won't) and allow Biden to make his case to those low information dunces that are currently showing all signs of abandoning Biden for Trump this year.
What makes you think the low information dunces will watch the debate long enough to be swayed?

Btw, I don't agree with Eeyore scenario. If the media is as biased against Biden as you say then why is he even close to him in the polls? If it was working as planned trump would be the runaway favorite. Just because one faction of people screams louder than another doesn't make them a larger group, it just makes them a louder group. Cibbons are on the low end of primate intelligence, yet they are among the loudest.
I didn't say that I know that the motivation of the media is, i.e. they are "biased". I said they have done nothing but spout doom and gloom to the masses. Instead of talking about Biden's accomplishments they choose to continuously remind us of inflation. Low information voters do not go out of their way to get information, whatever just happens to show up on their Facebook page, twitter feed and occasional watching of news is all they generally know. And the kind of repetition of doom and gloom, inflation, and Joe Biden's age has been going on now for 3 years. I will be happy to be wrong, but I don't have enough trust and confidence in low information dunces to believe Biden will pull this one off.

— Demetri Martin
sugar magnolia

Post by sugar magnolia »

Doom and gloom is sort of the definition of an Eeyore scenario. Didn't you also predict not guilty verdicts in the trump trial, and yet not only did they convict, they did it relatively quickly. I'm not sure the doom and gloom attitude is as prevalent as some do.

Or maybe I'm just a cock-eyed optimist.
SuzieC
Verified:

Post by SuzieC »

Here's another article to combat the doom and gloom scenario. Polls show significant loss of support for the felon convicted on 34 counts.

https://statuskuo.substack.com/p/voters ... irect=true
Suranis

Post by Suranis »

Ya I think when you are activly resisting hearing good news, that indicates an unhealthy attitute. I suppose its kind of PTSD - you were shocked and hurt in 2016, so now you dare not begin to believe in good news as you are afraid you will be hurt again.
Hic sunt dracones
RVInit

Post by RVInit »

sugar magnolia wrote: Mon Jun 03, 2024 5:14 pm Doom and gloom is sort of the definition of an Eeyore scenario. Didn't you also predict not guilty verdicts in the trump trial, and yet not only did they convict, they did it relatively quickly. I'm not sure the doom and gloom attitude is as prevalent as some do.

Or maybe I'm just a cock-eyed optimist.
Not quite

https://thefogbow.com/forum/viewtopic.p ... ty#p264882

https://thefogbow.com/forum/viewtopic.p ... 69#p264869

— Demetri Martin
Slim Cognito
Verified:

Post by Slim Cognito »

Up thread in the discussion about whether Trump will attend the debates, he’s already trying to weasel out by insisting on a drug test for Biden. He’s also bitching about the request to sit. He will take both of those issues, spin them to his benefit and his loonies will blame Biden when Trump doesn’t show.
ImageImageImage x4
RVInit

Post by RVInit »

Slim Cognito wrote: Mon Jun 03, 2024 7:20 pm Up thread in the discussion about whether Trump will attend the debates, he’s already trying to weasel out by insisting on a drug test for Biden. He’s also bitching about the request to sit. He will take both of those issues, spin them to his benefit and his loonies will blame Biden when Trump doesn’t show.
:yeahthat: I would bet the chances are greater that he doesn't show than he does show. It doesn't surprise me that he is already starting to make excuses.

— Demetri Martin
Foggy
Dick Tater

Post by Foggy »

New Turtle wrote: Mon Jun 03, 2024 2:27 pm Maybe if the CPD had been more interested in putting on actual debates, they would still be relevant, but they've ceded too much ground to the TV networks and the campaigns.
That's true, but that's not the issue for the Biden campaign. Their story is, the CPD let Trump run the show in 2020, and they're not going to get a second chance to do it again. They fucked up, and they're out of the game. Period.

Only the June 27 debate has Biden, but that debate won't happen either. There is a LESS THAN ZERO CHANCE that Trump will show up for the June 27 debate. He's a coward and a bully, but he can't stand up to Biden man-to-man, especially now that he is a convicted felon.

NO DEBATE JUNE 27. Write that shit down.

But do NOT expect the Biden campaign to change their minds about the CPD. They are out, and so maybe there won't be any debates this year.

That's OK, though. If anybody wants to know what they would have said, just ask Fogbow. :mrgreen:
Foggy
Dick Tater

Post by Foggy »

Trump, Biden debate will face obstacles in bypassing commission, co-chair predict
https://www.cbsnews.com/news/trump-bide ... l-debates/
That's a marvelously one-sided article, which makes no attempt to interview anyone from either presidential campaign - if you read it, you have only the vaguest idea why the campaigns ditched the CPD, but you can learn all about exactly what the CPD thinks. Gosh, I interviewed the CPD, that doesn't mean I should think about any other aspects of the story, should I? :confuzzled:

Typical 21st century shit journalism, proudly parading on CBS. Good thing they included lots of clickbait ads, so you wouldn't get bogged down reading this stupid story.

But the bottom line is, if Biden doesn't agree to the CPD schedule by Independence Day, then there will be no CPD debates, and Biden isn't going to agree. Here's the money quote from the CPD guy:
"If there's no commitment to the commission by July 4th, then probably this isn't going to happen."
That's right, pal. You have 30 days.

Return to “US President”