Broadway Musicals and Plays! Broadway and Beyond

John Thomas8

Post by John Thomas8 »

orlylicious wrote: Mon May 15, 2023 10:48 pm Some plays (vs. musicals) use pre-recorded music (that goes back a long way, Torch Song Trilogy has tracks), but all musicals use musicians from Local 802 - American Federation of Musicians. For tech reasons, occasionally there's some pre-record -- Phantom Overture's opening verse is pre-record. When the chandelier reaches the ceiling and the strings kick in, that's when the live orchestra begins.
Thank you.

Too bad it's all getting replaced with AI, the joy of watching people perform music is remarkable.
Luke
Location: @orly_licious With Pete Buttigieg and the other "open and defiant homosexuals" --Bryan Fischer AFA

Post by Luke »

Broadway is fully and highly unionized, from Local 1 for scenery to SSD&C for Directors and Choreographers. Actor's Equity (actors) joined the WGA picket line. AI will be everywhere, but live orchestras for Broadway musicals are here to stay for a long time. Seeing the orchestra is a big part of the live theatre experience -- producers would lose more in ticket sales then they'd gain even trying it.
On May 10, members and leadership of Actors’ Equity Association joined a picket line of the ongoing Writers Guild of America (WGA) strike. This demonstrated fellowship between the union for professional actors and stage managers in live theater and writers in television, film, news and new media. Equity’s executive director Al Vincent, Jr., director of communications David Levy and Equity members showed up at the HBO/Amazon offices in New York City to support members of the WGA.

“The default needs to be solidarity, especially right now with what’s happening with workers all over the world, all over our country,” Equity president Kate Shindle told Broadway News. “And arts workers are part of that too.” Of course, members of Shindle’s union were nearly on strike just a few weeks ago, but Equity and the Broadway League were able to reach a deal.
Lt Root Beer of the Mighty 699th. Fogbow 💙s titular Mama June in Fogbow's Favourite Show™ Mama June: From Not To Hot! Fogbow's Theme Song™ Edith Massey's "I Got The Evidence!" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C5jDHZd0JAg
northland10
Verified: ✅ I'm me.

Post by northland10 »

John Thomas8 wrote: Mon May 15, 2023 10:49 pm
orlylicious wrote: Mon May 15, 2023 10:48 pm Some plays (vs. musicals) use pre-recorded music (that goes back a long way, Torch Song Trilogy has tracks), but all musicals use musicians from Local 802 - American Federation of Musicians. For tech reasons, occasionally there's some pre-record -- Phantom Overture's opening verse is pre-record. When the chandelier reaches the ceiling and the strings kick in, that's when the live orchestra begins.
Thank you.

Too bad it's all getting replaced with AI, the joy of watching people perform music is remarkable.
AI does not work as well live, well maybe in large arenas. I somehow remember there being some dustup about Phantom doing the lip sync thing in Toronto. It was some time ago so I don't remember any details.

Speaking of Phantom using piped music at the beginning, they won't be using it much longer as the Broadway Phantom is set to finally close.

I am glad they could get something worked out. Broadway needs a boost to help get back on its feet and they would lose far more without televised Tonys than CBS which I heard really does not make anything anyway. In this case the union could have ended up hurting their fellow artists and not the folks they are striking against.
101010 :towel:
Luke
Location: @orly_licious With Pete Buttigieg and the other "open and defiant homosexuals" --Bryan Fischer AFA

Post by Luke »

:like: (for this and all you do, Northland)
Lt Root Beer of the Mighty 699th. Fogbow 💙s titular Mama June in Fogbow's Favourite Show™ Mama June: From Not To Hot! Fogbow's Theme Song™ Edith Massey's "I Got The Evidence!" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C5jDHZd0JAg

Return to “U.S. Culture and Media”