Roe vs. Wade, American abortion rights

Trying to make sense of a crazy world, with limited success mostly
raison de arizona
Verified: ✔️ he/him/his

Re: Roe vs. Wade, American abortion rights

Post by raison de arizona »

I feel like it is possible that NYT is missing the real story here.
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
John Thomas8

Post by John Thomas8 »

Fails to mention the complete lack of respect for humans, that somebody leaked it is healthy.
humblescribe
Verified:

Post by humblescribe »

So, what will be next up on this apparent agenda to gut decency and civility and safety?

The EPA? Obamacare? Gender equality?

I bet you Mitch McFossil is grinning ear-to-ear in that smug pose he has when he pulls something off.

I don't think that anything is safe with these guys.
"Some cause happiness wherever they go; others whenever they go." O. Wilde
bob

Post by bob »

humblescribe wrote: Tue May 03, 2022 5:29 pm So, what will be next up on this apparent agenda to gut decency and civility and safety?
From a courts/constitution perspective, further attacks on abortion will not stop.

The states that will outlaw abortion next will attempt to punish those who attempt to seek an abortion in a different state, as well as attempt to punish those in other states who aid its citizens in obtaining an abortion. ("But states rights!" I hear you cry.)

The next front will be all-things transgender and same-sex, as they share the same philosophical underpinnings as abortion.
Image ImageImage
raison de arizona

bob wrote: Tue May 03, 2022 6:44 pm
humblescribe wrote: Tue May 03, 2022 5:29 pm So, what will be next up on this apparent agenda to gut decency and civility and safety?
From a courts/constitution perspective, further attacks on abortion will not stop.

The states that will outlaw abortion next will attempt to punish those who attempt to seek an abortion in a different state, as well as attempt to punish those in other states who aid its citizens in obtaining an abortion. ("But states rights!" I hear you cry.)

The next front will be all-things transgender and same-sex, as they share the same philosophical underpinnings as abortion.
:yeahthat: and don't forget that in the last couple months we have literally had a Senator opining multiple times that banning interracial marriage should be left to the states.
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
SuzieC
Verified:

Post by SuzieC »

Banning abortion pills. Right now they are still easy to get. Has anyone heard of plans to form an abortion underground, like the Underground Railroad? I would be interested in discussing it, in secret.
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

I know of no details, but I have heard that there were discussions.
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
raison de arizona

This where the tracking I posted about on the previous page comes in. Frightening.
Slarti the White
Verified: Badges... we don't need no stinkin' badges

Post by Slarti the White »

This is a perfect example of why we need a Constitutional Amendment on data rights...
Greatgrey
Verified: 💲8️⃣

Post by Greatgrey »

Foggy wrote: Tue May 03, 2022 1:19 pm I am too angry and horrified to comment without raging and ranting.
I'll wait for the final opinion of the Court to be released.
I'm trying to be a nicer person.
But they make it hard. :mad:
Those are the words I was looking for.
What's the Frequency, Kenneth?
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
Uninformed

Post by Uninformed »

“Raise Your Voice and Raise Hell!’ Here’s Where Activists Have Planned Abortion-Rights Rallies”:
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles ... ss-us-list
If you can't lie to yourself, who can you lie to?
RTH10260
Verified: ✔️ Eurobot

Post by RTH10260 »

a composition of the late night hosts at this webpage (cannot embed)

'Taliban,' 'Handmaid's Tale,' Here Is The Worst Of Late Night On Abortion
ALEX CHRISTY | MAY 4, 2022

The late night comedy show hosts did not take the draft opinion from Justice Samuel Alito overturning Roe v. Wade well on their Tuesday shows. From lamenting the fall of human rights to references to the Taliban and The Handmaid's Tale, here is a summary of their lamentations.
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

https://www.washingtonpost.com/us-polic ... -roe-wade/
Republican lawmakers are facing renewed internal pressure to support child benefit programs for parents after a leaked opinion on Monday showed the Supreme Court is prepared to strike down federal abortion protections.

The GOP has adamantly opposed President Biden’s proposals to provide cash payments for parents, universal prekindergarten and other family benefit programs such as expanded child-care subsidies. But with the Supreme Court appearing poised to overturn Roe v. Wade, even some Republican senators are acknowledging that the party may need to do more to provide support for parents.

A court decision overturning Roe would lead about half the states to make abortion illegal immediately or soon after the Supreme Court acted. The ruling is the culmination of a decades-long Republican project but could also put a spotlight on the party’s resistance to efforts to aid parents.

“I think that needs to be an important part of the discussion,” Sen. Mike Rounds (R-S.D.) said in an interview. “It’s not just a matter of saying, ‘We are pro-life.’ It’s a matter, then, of promoting and allowing these people who are making very difficult decisions with their lives to make sure we can help individuals facing these tough decisions.”
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

Perhaps any man who impregnates a woman not his wife should be held responsible for child support until the child is 18. Modern DNA analysis makes it possible to prove paternity.
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

Have anti-abortionists stopped to think that reduced access to family planning and abortion for poorer communities might hasten the relative increase in the non-white population?
neeneko

Post by neeneko »

Volkonski wrote: Wed May 04, 2022 1:28 pm Have anti-abortionists stopped to think that reduced access to family planning and abortion for poorer communities might hasten the relative increase in the non-white population?
Think about? They are salivating at the idea. Many of the thought leaders are also religious leaders, and poor communities are one of their sources of wealth and power. Cut abortion, cut government assistance, cut sex education, cut contraception, and then welcome them with open arm as their only hope.
humblescribe
Verified:

Post by humblescribe »

Thanks, Bob. Perhaps we should toss in a smidgen of the Commerce Clause too? Ain't it up to Congress to regulate commerce among the several states, and not the individual states? So, if I want to go out of state to do something, only Congress can say :fingerwag:
"Some cause happiness wherever they go; others whenever they go." O. Wilde
sugar magnolia

Post by sugar magnolia »

It took us longer to pay off the bill for my pregnancy and birth for our first child than it did to have 2 more kids. Insurance didn't cover a penny of the first one because my husband changed jobs and it was a non-covered "pre-existing" condition. My third child was a year and a half old before we made the last payment for the first one. The last 2 were paid as we went.
Phoenix520
Verified:

Post by Phoenix520 »

► Show Spoiler
raison de arizona

sugar magnolia wrote: Wed May 04, 2022 3:36 pm It took us longer to pay off the bill for my pregnancy and birth for our first child than it did to have 2 more kids. Insurance didn't cover a penny of the first one because my husband changed jobs and it was a non-covered "pre-existing" condition. My third child was a year and a half old before we made the last payment for the first one. The last 2 were paid as we went.
Hidden Content
This board requires you to be registered and logged-in to view hidden content.
But yeah. The price tag on pregnancies is no joke, and in a civil country wouldn't really be a consideration. But here in the US we should probably be talking about it.
bob

Post by bob »

humblescribe wrote: Wed May 04, 2022 3:36 pmSo, what will be next up on this apparent agenda to gut decency and Perhaps we should toss in a smidgen of the Commerce Clause too? Ain't it up to Congress to regulate commerce among the several states, and not the individual states? So, if I want to go out of state to do something, only Congress can say :fingerwag:
There's very little federal law protecting abortion.

Nor will there be. Even if the filibuster is scrapped (and it won't be), there aren't 51 votes to codify a federal abortion law.

And the Democrats' federal trifecta is going away for the foreseeable future in 2023.
Image ImageImage
sugar magnolia

Post by sugar magnolia »

Another thing we should probably be talking about is the absolutely idiotic argument about men having a say in a woman's decision. I just want to scream every time some man uses the illogical fucking 'logic' of men having just as much right to make the decision as women. "But he's the daddddyyyyy" they cry, all the while completely ignoring all the women who are pressured into abortions by men who have no desire to reproduce and be financially responsible for a kid. Unmarried women, mistresses, women in abusive relationships, parental influence, young girls, so many women who have been forced to have abortions who might not have on their own.

And before you bring up the relative number of the 2 groups, I realize the choice is made much more often by the woman but that doesn't mean we can't also discuss the MEN who make the same decision for the woman. So if you're one of the morons whining about men not having a voice in the argument, take it some place else, please.

Not in any way directed at anyone in particular, just triggered by another fucking man on facebook trying to control women.

Return to “Current Politics”