X -Where Twitter goes to die.

optimusprime

Post by optimusprime »

Elon Musk Now Wants to Charge ALL Users For Twitter
I will not pay $8/mo just to look at posts from people who hate America.
:nope:
raison de arizona
Verified: ✔️ he/him/his

Post by raison de arizona »

If he pulls that, it will be Twitter’s death knell. Anyone left hanging on will jump ship.
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
Gregg

Post by Gregg »

But at $44 billion not only will it be the most spectacular bonfire in history, it might get him on the shitlist of a guy who sends out guys with bonesaws to deal with people who make him angry.
Supreme Commander, Imperial Illuminati Air Force
:dog:

You don't have to consent, but I'm gonna tase you anyway.
p0rtia

Post by p0rtia »

What is the best incantation to use to manifest the Twitter subscription for users?

Asking for a friend.

:fiesta: :blissy: :prettyplease:

(please please please, Elmo, do it!!!!)
RVInit

Post by RVInit »

p0rtia wrote: Tue Sep 19, 2023 10:33 am What is the best incantation to use to manifest the Twitter subscription for users?

Asking for a friend.

:fiesta: :blissy: :prettyplease:

(please please please, Elmo, do it!!!!)
I had that same thought. I have an account, I read stuff but don't really post. I wouldn't miss it one bit if he decides to charge for it. It would be worth losing my account to see X go totally up in flames and see the Saudis and Musk lose every freaking penny they put into it.
“A know-it-all is a person who knows everything except for how annoying he is.”

— Demetri Martin
Ben-Prime
Verified: ✅MamaSaysI'mBonaFide

Post by Ben-Prime »

I mean, the easiest way would seem to be to get Trump to tell him it's a good idea. Or maybe one of his ex-wives (didn't Talulah Riley beg him at one point to buy Twitter to save us all from "the woke"?).
But the sunshine aye shall light the sky,
As round and round we run;
And the truth shall ever come uppermost,
And justice shall be done.

- Charles Mackay, "Eternal Justice"
raison de arizona

Well this bodes poorly, surprised it took this long though.
https://twitter.com/MeidasTouch/status/ ... 72405?s=20
MeidasTouch @MeidasTouch wrote: CONFIRMED: Elon Musk has fired the entire Election Integrity Team at X, the unit created to identify threats from foreign and domestic sources manipulating our elections.
► Show Spoiler
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
Gregg

Post by Gregg »

No worry, Comrade!

I send people I know to help.

Supreme Commander, Imperial Illuminati Air Force
:dog:

You don't have to consent, but I'm gonna tase you anyway.
poplove
Verified: ✅💚💙💜☮️💐🌈⚽️✅

Post by poplove »

What’s going on with Elon Musk, and why is he doing this to Twitter?

I spent the last few months digging into it.

I found a pretty big clue.
raison de arizona

Musk is shilling for Carlson's crap.
Elon Musk @elonmusk wrote: Worth listening. These are important issues.
Tucker Carlson @TuckerCarlson wrote: Ep. 27 Donald Trump appeared in court today, but it wasn’t a legal proceeding. It was a grotesque parody of the system our ancestors created. Victor Davis Hanson explains.
pipistrelle

Post by pipistrelle »

Victor Hanson. I can’t believe he’s such a dope.
MN-Skeptic

Post by MN-Skeptic »

Musk has changed how news stories are linked at Twitter. Now you just get a picture but no text. He's trying to keep folks from clicking away from Twitter. This tweet demonstrates one of the problems with that -
-
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

Did anyone see Rachel Maddow on Monday? I was doing something else and in and out of the room, but she was talking some stuff about sort of left-wing "conspiracy theories" about right-wing writers and organizations. One of the things I heard her mention, I think, was about Elon Musk being part of it and buying Twitter just to put it out of business. Interesting. I will have to look that up and watch it again.
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
pipistrelle

Post by pipistrelle »

AndyinPA wrote: Thu Oct 05, 2023 12:32 pm Did anyone see Rachel Maddow on Monday? I was doing something else and in and out of the room, but she was talking some stuff about sort of left-wing "conspiracy theories" about right-wing writers and organizations. One of the things I heard her mention, I think, was about Elon Musk being part of it and buying Twitter just to put it out of business. Interesting. I will have to look that up and watch it again.
I’ve heard this before.
Suranis

Post by Suranis »

To believe that you have to forget that he fought like hell to avoid buying Twitter in the first place. He only said that he would buy it as he wanted to be a shit stirrer and have everyone talking about him. But then Twitter sued him to force him to follow through on his obligation, and they actually had the same kind of money to equal him in Lawyers.
Hic sunt dracones
Sam the Centipede

Post by Sam the Centipede »

Setting fire to $44B is not something done by a brilliant mind with a cunning multilayered plan.
Ben-Prime
Verified: ✅MamaSaysI'mBonaFide

Post by Ben-Prime »

Musk has proven to be to business what TFG is to politics.

He has a gift for knowing what a not-insignificant number of people want and if he can get to market with it first, he gets rewarded, but then he has no idea how to actually run things from there and gives in to baser impulses in the process.

I am willing to be disputed on this, of course, but, come on.
But the sunshine aye shall light the sky,
As round and round we run;
And the truth shall ever come uppermost,
And justice shall be done.

- Charles Mackay, "Eternal Justice"
Sam the Centipede

Post by Sam the Centipede »

What you describe is a more general problem, seen in many fields.

The techniques and ethics needed to build something from nothing in adverse conditions are rarely the same as those required to run the larger established successor.

Ex-colonial countries have often found that liberation movements do not naturally transform into stable or democratic governments.
raison de arizona

It's very bad, you have no idea what you are clicking on anymore.
Twitter/X's removal of link headlines slashes site accessibility even further
Elon Musk creates a new hurdle in the path to web accessibility.

Once again, Elon Musk's design decisions for the rebranded X (formerly Twitter) are isolating users with disabilities — this time in the name of "esthetics."

On Wednesday evening, the site began rolling out a new preview format for posted links, which removes all headlines and subheader text from the post in favor of displaying only the article's header image overlaid with a publication's watermark. While Musk and his team might view the minimalist change as a step towards a sleeker version of the site, it also removes essential information for users considering clicking on third-party links.

It also implies a continued disregard for X users with disabilities, limiting accessibility to linked posts for those who use assistive technologies like screen readers and VoiceOver.

Musk has previously stated his intent to devalue third-party links on X. On Oct. 3, in response to a chart reportedly displaying declining numbers of traffic to major media sites, the CEO wrote: "Our algorithm tries to optimize time spent on X, so links don't get as much attention, because there is less time spent if people click away. Best thing is to post content in long form on this platform."

He's also demolished other longtime commitments to accessibility on the site, including the removal of Twitter's accessibility team (@TwitterA11y) and the move towards paid models that limit access to former Twitter APIs that help accessibility advocates build a more inclusive site.
:snippity:
https://mashable.com/article/x-accessib ... -headlines
RTH10260
Verified: ✔️ Eurobot

Post by RTH10260 »

What have disabilites laws to say to this? There was recently a law suit filed (Uk or US) cause a small business owner had no support for a screen reader for a blind person.
RTH10260
Verified: ✔️ Eurobot

Post by RTH10260 »

raison de arizona wrote: Fri Oct 06, 2023 4:53 pm It's very bad, you have no idea what you are clicking on anymore.
Musk has previously stated his intent to devalue third-party links on X. On Oct. 3, in response to a chart reportedly displaying declining numbers of traffic to major media sites, the CEO wrote: "Our algorithm tries to optimize time spent on X, so links don't get as much attention, because there is less time spent if people click away. Best thing is to post content in long form on this platform."
How does he wish to have longer content when the Xitter trademark are 128 character burps?
raison de arizona

RTH10260 wrote: Sat Oct 07, 2023 11:10 am
raison de arizona wrote: Fri Oct 06, 2023 4:53 pm It's very bad, you have no idea what you are clicking on anymore.
How does he wish to have longer content when the Xitter trademark are 128 character burps?
You just have to pay extra for it.
raison de arizona

Elmo is being a bad boy.
MN-Skeptic

Post by MN-Skeptic »

Musk's response -
-

Elon Musk
@elonmusk

Our policy is that everything is open source and transparent, an approach that I know the EU supports.

Please list the violations you allude to on 𝕏, so that that the public can see them.

Merci beaucoup.
pipistrelle

Post by pipistrelle »

The groveling to Musk from alleged Europeans is gagworthy.🤮

Return to “Law and Lawsuits”