Bragg Manhattan DA charges tfg? Hush money. tfg “INDICATED!” - CONVICTED!!

Abandon reality, all ye who enter here. *Democracy*Under*Threat*
MN-Skeptic

Post by MN-Skeptic »

Dave from down under wrote: Thu May 30, 2024 6:45 pm Jim Wright pointed out

Trump the Felon cannot vote in Florida :)
If Trump is not in prison, he will be able to vote in Florida.
Tim Walz’ Golden Rule: Mind your own damn business!
Tiredretiredlawyer
Verified: ✅🐴🐎🦄🌻5000 posts and counting

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer »

How about for Trump - jailed until the Republican Convention.
"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.
raison de arizona
Verified: ✔️ he/him/his

Post by raison de arizona »

MN-Skeptic wrote: Thu May 30, 2024 6:56 pm

:yeahthat:

It goes by NY rules since the conviction is in NY per FL law.
https://www.usvotefoundation.org/voting ... on/florida
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
Frater I*I
Verified: ✅Verified Devilish Hyena

Post by Frater I*I »

Unfortunately I think you are right, due to the Florida law, out of state convictions carry the felony voting rights of the state they occurred. Since NYS allows felons who are not in prison to vote [even on parole or probation], I think he'll get loop holed around the FL law...
"He sewed his eyes shut because he is afraid to see, He tries to tell me what I put inside of me
He's got the answers to ease my curiosity, He dreamed a god up and called it Christianity"

Trent Reznor
MN-Skeptic

Post by MN-Skeptic »

Trump so very much likes to be referred to as President Trump. I propose that newscasters start referring to him as Felon Trump.
Tim Walz’ Golden Rule: Mind your own damn business!
Kendra

Post by Kendra »

PRESS CONFERENCE TOMORROW MORNING AT 11:00 A.M. TRUMP TOWER ATRIUM. MAGA2024!
MY CIVIL RIGHTS HAVE BEEN TOTALLY VIOLATED WITH THIS HIGHLY POLITICAL, UNCONSTITUTIONAL, AND ELECTION INTERFERING WITCH HUNT. OUR FAILING NATION IS BEING LAUGHED AT ALL OVER THE WORLD!
https://truthsocial.com/@realDonaldTrum ... 6644073776

Video at the link. Disturbing.
neonzx
Verified: 🤩✅✅✅✅✅🤩

Post by neonzx »

Frater I*I wrote: Thu May 30, 2024 7:02 pm

Unfortunately I think you are right, due to the Florida law, out of state convictions carry the felony voting rights of the state they occurred. Since NYS allows felons who are not in prison to vote [even on parole or probation], I think he'll get loop holed around the FL law...
Should notbe true for Florida. It is a hellroad to restore basic civil rights like voting. Oh, wait, he is wealthy and white. Nevermind. Proceed.
Kendra

Post by Kendra »

MN-Skeptic wrote: Thu May 30, 2024 7:02 pm Trump so very much likes to be referred to as President Trump. I propose that newscasters start referring to him as Felon Trump.
Yes. So far, I've only taken a brief glimpse over at Fox, but sounds they're a bit stunned over it.
Frater I*I
Verified: ✅Verified Devilish Hyena

Post by Frater I*I »

Kendra wrote: Thu May 30, 2024 7:10 pm
MN-Skeptic wrote: Thu May 30, 2024 7:02 pm Trump so very much likes to be referred to as President Trump. I propose that newscasters start referring to him as Felon Trump.
Yes. So far, I've only taken a brief glimpse over at Fox, but sounds they're a bit stunned over it.
That's what happens when one starts to drink their own bullsh.....I mean kool-aide....
"He sewed his eyes shut because he is afraid to see, He tries to tell me what I put inside of me
He's got the answers to ease my curiosity, He dreamed a god up and called it Christianity"

Trent Reznor
jez
Verified: ✅ Medicated

Post by jez »

Just the usual IANAL questions.
I know that he can appeal and from what I have read it goes something like this: NY Supreme Court (Trial court) > NY Supreme Court, Appellate Division (1st level) > NY Court of appeals (Final level).

I know that federal issues can be appealed to the USSC, but in this case, there aren't any federal issues, are there?
“What is better ? to be born good or to overcome your evil nature through great effort ?”

~Paarthurnax
Ben-Prime
Verified: ✅MamaSaysI'mBonaFide

Post by Ben-Prime »

Mrich wrote: Thu May 30, 2024 5:40 pmIMG_7767.jpeg
I'm sure Mr. Trudeau has himself been waiting to reuse this one.
But the sunshine aye shall light the sky,
As round and round we run;
And the truth shall ever come uppermost,
And justice shall be done.

- Charles Mackay, "Eternal Justice"
Ben-Prime

Post by Ben-Prime »

I'm waiting for him to try anyway, though.

Ben-Prime

Post by Ben-Prime »

I am now calling him 'FJT'. Felonious J. Trump.

jcolvin2
Verified:

Post by jcolvin2 »

jez wrote: Thu May 30, 2024 7:19 pm Just the usual IANAL questions.
I know that he can appeal and from what I have read it goes something like this: NY Supreme Court (Trial court) > NY Supreme Court, Appellate Division (1st level) > NY Court of appeals (Final level).

I know that federal issues can be appealed to the USSC, but in this case, there aren't any federal issues, are there?
Defendants convicted in state courts can raise Fifth Amendment due process issues. I have not followed the trial closely enough to know whether there are any such issues in this case.
bob

Post by bob »

jcolvin2 wrote: Thu May 30, 2024 7:23 pm
jez wrote: Thu May 30, 2024 7:19 pm Just the usual IANAL questions.

Defendants convicted in state courts can raise Fifth Amendment due process issues. I have not followed the trial closely enough to know whether there are any such issues in this case.
Almost every aspect of the Bill of Rights has been incorporated through the 14th Amendment onto the states.

So, yes, any state criminal defendant may raise in SCOTUS violations of the 4th, 5th, 6th, 8th, and 14th Amendments. (Let's be generous and throw in the 1st Amendment because of the gag order.)

Such claims are very rarely successful.

Cf.:

(It is a law joke.)
Image ImageImage
wavey davey

Post by wavey davey »

“And hast thou slain the Trumperwock?
Come to my arms, my beamish boy!
O frabjous day! Callooh! Callay!”
He chortled in his joy.
Image Image ImageImage
Kendra

Post by Kendra »

https://www.cnn.com/politics/live-news/ ... index.html
Republican Larry Hogan drew the ire of Trump's team for comments he made before the verdict was even read
From CNN's Veronica Stracqualursi and Matt Holt

Maryland Republican Senate candidate Larry Hogan on Thursday urged Americans to “respect the verdict and the legal process” when news broke that the jury in Donald Trump’s hush money trial reached a verdict.

“At this dangerously divided moment in our history, all leaders—regardless of party—must not pour fuel on the fire with more toxic partisanship,” the former Maryland governor said in a statement released before the jury delivered their guilty verdict.

Hogan’s comments drew the ire of Trump’s senior adviser Chris LaCivita, who later responded on X: “You just ended your campaign.”

Hogan has been critical of Trump and said he won’t vote for neither Trump nor President Joe Biden in the presidential election. Earlier this month, Hogan won the Republican nomination to take on Democrat Angela Alsobrooks in November for a Senate seat that Republicans view as important to flip to expand their battleground map.
I've seen some clips of NY residents I guess celebrating the verdicts. Good. Any signs of counter protestors?
Kendra

Post by Kendra »

https://truthsocial.com/@realDonaldTrum ... 5510739548

Turley is :confuzzled: and can't respect the jury's decision. It will be reversed on appeal.
raison de arizona
Verified: ✔️ he/him/his

Post by raison de arizona »

Kendra wrote: Thu May 30, 2024 7:57 pm https://truthsocial.com/@realDonaldTrum ... 5510739548

Turley is :confuzzled: and can't respect the jury's decision. It will be reversed on appeal.
Give. Me. A. Break. What a smokescreen, we know exactly what he was convicted of. 34 counts worth.
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
jez
Verified: ✅ Medicated

Post by jez »

bob wrote: Thu May 30, 2024 7:39 pm :snippity:
Almost every aspect of the Bill of Rights has been incorporated through the 14th Amendment onto the states.

So, yes, any state criminal defendant may raise in SCOTUS violations of the 4th, 5th, 6th, 8th, and 14th Amendments. (Let's be generous and throw in the 1st Amendment because of the gag order.)

Cf.:

(It is a law joke.)
Ok. Hypothetical question for the Fogbow School of Lawyer Stuff.

On any appeal (state or federal) you have to allege specific error(s) in the charges, verdict, conduct of the court, etc. Something specific went wrong, not just "I didn't like this verdict, please toss it out". Yes/No?
“What is better ? to be born good or to overcome your evil nature through great effort ?”

~Paarthurnax
chancery
Verified:

Post by chancery »

I've read that the Florida rule for voting by residents with out-of-state felony convictions is that Florida applies the law of the state in which the resident was convicted. And I believe that the recently reformed voting law in New York State provides that the only convicts who cannot vote are incarcerated felons, and only during the period of their incarceration.

Yeah, I know, too bad. But it's a good reform; think Categorical Imperative.
W. Kevin Vicklund

Post by W. Kevin Vicklund »

jez wrote: Thu May 30, 2024 8:01 pm
bob wrote: Thu May 30, 2024 7:39 pm :snippity:

Cf.:

(It is a law joke.)
Ok. Hypothetical question for the Fogbow School of Lawyer Stuff.

On any appeal (state or federal) you have to allege specific error(s) in the charges, verdict, conduct of the court, etc. Something specific went wrong, not just "I didn't like this verdict, please toss it out". Yes/No?
If you want to have a chance of being successful, yes (insert standard bob :oldman: disclaimer)
Kendra

Post by Kendra »

raison de arizona wrote: Thu May 30, 2024 8:00 pm
Kendra wrote: Thu May 30, 2024 7:57 pm https://truthsocial.com/@realDonaldTrum ... 5510739548

Give. Me. A. Break. What a smokescreen, we know exactly what he was convicted of. 34 counts worth.
Yeah, the folks at Fox seem gob-smacked right now. Desperately trying to spin...

ETA: speaking of spin and assuming that the video appears at top of this link: https://www.msn.com/en-us/movies/news/b ... 0a1e&ei=20
chancery
Verified:

Post by chancery »

jez wrote: Thu May 30, 2024 8:01 pm Ok. Hypothetical question for the Fogbow School of Lawyer Stuff.

Yeah, that's mostly correct. There are some grounds for appeal that encompass the trial record in its entirety, e.g., the verdict was against the great weight of the evidence. And there's always the claim of absence in the record of any evidence of guilt. See Thompson v. City of Louisville, 362 U.S. 199 (1960) (on writ of certiorari to the Police Court of Louisville), a bravura piece of civil rights litigation on the part of one of my law school professors, who at the time was practicing law in his home town at a 2-3 person firm.
bob

Post by bob »

jez wrote: Thu May 30, 2024 8:01 pm On any appeal (state or federal) you have to allege specific error(s) in the charges, verdict, conduct of the court, etc. Something specific went wrong, not just "I didn't like this verdict, please toss it out". Yes/No?
Generally yes, unless you are a criminal defendant in front of Judge Cannon, apparently. :roll:

A criminal defendant must also object, and specify the basis for the objection, in the trial court to preserve the issue for an appeal. Competent counsel knows how to do it.
Image ImageImage

Return to “The Big Lie & Aftermath of The Former Guy”