Music Free-for-all

roadscholar

Music Free-for-all

Post by roadscholar »

The bitterest truth is more wholesome than the sweetest lie.
neonzx
Verified: 🤩✅✅✅✅✅🤩

Music Free-for-all

Post by neonzx »

Ohio friend sent this. He wants to go. This is down in Athens OH (university town). $40 bucks, not bad. Wants me to go with. (funny because I am way way more of a R.E.M. fan than he)

Aug_17_2024_18_55_40.jpg
Aug_17_2024_18_55_40.jpg (151.33 KiB) Viewed 599 times
John Thomas8

Music Free-for-all

Post by John Thomas8 »

The vocals are interesting:

northland10
Verified: ✅ I'm me.

Music Free-for-all

Post by northland10 »

The guy in the brown shirt should probably be saving up for his future surgery to remove his eventual vocal nodes.
101010 :towel:
Suranis

Music Free-for-all

Post by Suranis »

Hic sunt dracones
keith
Occupation: Retired Computer Systems Analyst Project Manager Super Coder
Verified: ✅lunatic

Music Free-for-all

Post by keith »

northland10 wrote: Sun Aug 18, 2024 7:55 am The guy in the brown shirt should probably be saving up for his future surgery to remove his eventual vocal nodes.
He's just channelling Jimmy Barnes. He'll be OK. But I do wish he'd lose that vocal fry.
Be assured that a walk through the ocean of most souls Would scarcely get your feet wet
bill_g
Verified: ✅ Checked Republic ✓ ᵛᵉʳᶦᶠᶦᵉᵈ

Music Free-for-all

Post by bill_g »

I liked it. That was a surprise to hear that big voice suddenly pop out. He did great. Definitely a Delta Blues voice or rocker ala Aerosmith et al. He could fit in a bunch of bands. Or he could flop because every song sounds like the last one. But hey, might be worth the risk to put himself out there and maybe get famous.
bill_g

Music Free-for-all

Post by bill_g »

Volkonski wrote: Wed Aug 14, 2024 9:42 pm Tonight is Ladies Night on the local Oldies Station. Their British DJ played this from 1975. How have I missed this until tonight?????? :?

https: //www.youtube.com/watch?v=3zzwbYyvWiU
Good choice. Never heard it before, but loved it. Definitely a lost gem. Clever band name too. Might be why they were not known outside of Dublin.
northland10
Verified: ✅ I'm me.

Music Free-for-all

Post by northland10 »

"Vocal fry" involves essentially a high level of friction on the vocal fold (rubbing and smacking them together). As with any friction like on your heel creating callouses, a regular high level of friction on the vocal cords may eventually create nodes. They have to be removed surgically, and usually, some of the fold is lost in the process, weakening the voice.

Chronic throat clearing can do the same thing.

Some rock and metal performers have actually contracted classically trained vocal coaches to help them use their voice in a way that prevents long-term damage as their voice is their primary asset.
101010 :towel:
bill_g

Music Free-for-all

Post by bill_g »

Well, all that put me in the mood for Tom's Diner. It's got a nice strut/shuffle. One of my favorite to sock dance on the kitchen floor to.

Lana Del Rey Mariner's Apartment Complex is another favorite. Brings a different mood.

keith

Music Free-for-all

Post by keith »

Mentioned Jimmy Barnes above. Here's his signature tune.

Barnes doesn't really sound like vocal fry, more like a strained scream. His style doesn't seem to have damaged his vocal cords.

Whether vocal fry damages the vocal cords or not is controversial, some say yes, some say no. I just don't like the sound of it when used a lot. Barnes is famous partially for his screaming, but he uses it to effect.

Be assured that a walk through the ocean of most souls Would scarcely get your feet wet
keith

Music Free-for-all

Post by keith »

3 minutes on vocal fry. This lady pretty much expresses what I feel about it.

On the other hand here's 27 minutes that takes a more generous view. Just call me Bond. Jaaaaammmmes Boooooonnnnd.

bill_g

Music Free-for-all

Post by bill_g »

And I don't even notice that in people's voices. It doesn't register or trigger something in my head. I recognized the examples in both videos, and consider them all normal almost to be expected. What's interesting to me is the response it elicits from people, not the sound itself. There's an irritation or even pain associated with it that I do not experience. That fascinates me.
pipistrelle

Music Free-for-all

Post by pipistrelle »

bill_g wrote: Tue Aug 20, 2024 10:23 am And I don't even notice that in people's voices. It doesn't register or trigger something in my head. I recognized the examples in both videos, and consider them all normal almost to be expected. What's interesting to me is the response it elicits from people, not the sound itself. There's an irritation or even pain associated with it that I do not experience. That fascinates me.
I cannot stand vocal fry. CANNOT STAND IT. It hurts me ears.
bill_g

Music Free-for-all

Post by bill_g »

pipistrelle wrote: Tue Aug 20, 2024 10:33 am
bill_g wrote: Tue Aug 20, 2024 10:23 am And I don't even notice that in people's voices. It doesn't register or trigger something in my head. I recognized the examples in both videos, and consider them all normal almost to be expected. What's interesting to me is the response it elicits from people, not the sound itself. There's an irritation or even pain associated with it that I do not experience. That fascinates me.
I cannot stand vocal fry. CANNOT STAND IT. It hurts me ears.
Case and point. And it's instant. You have no control of your reaction. It just happens, and you're captive to it. That's what I find intriguing.
bill_g

Music Free-for-all

Post by bill_g »

Happy National Radio Day.

Return to “Arts, Music, Photography, and stuff like that”