💣 The Disastrous 118th Congress - MAGA Mike Johnson Saved by Shadow Speaker Hakeem Jeffries

Trying to make sense of a crazy world, with limited success mostly
Volkonski
Verified:

The 118th Congress with Pretzel Kevin "Only Kevin" "My Kevin" McCarthy, Speaker? /Clowns

Post by Volkonski »

GOP Rep. Chip Roy says there have been productive negotiations in the last 2 hours

https://www.cnn.com/politics/live-news/ ... index.html
In a welcome signal for Kevin McCarthy, GOP Rep. Chip Roy told CNN he has had “more productive” talks in the last two hours with McCarthy allies than he has had in the last few weeks.

He said he expects to be part of the talks that CNN first reported would take place tonight.

Roy also said he is not a hard-no on McCarthy.

While he said that the “clown show” GOP conference meeting yesterday “hardened opposition” to McCarthy, he added that they are “trying to repair that damage today, and progress has been made.”
“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
Volkonski
Verified:

The 118th Congress with Pretzel Kevin "Only Kevin" "My Kevin" McCarthy, Speaker? /Clowns

Post by Volkonski »

The 6th vote looks to be a replay of the 4th and 5th votes.
“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
Luke
Location: @orly_licious With Pete Buttigieg and the other "open and defiant homosexuals" --Bryan Fischer AFA

Post by Luke »

Fox News is so confused and freaked out that the only positive thing they could think of to say was, "I really don't mind the TRANSPARENCY that's happening with this process"! :rotflmao: Fox News is a delight to watch this afternoon.

These MAGAts are idiots, Scott Perry uses the tired old "Washington is broken" bullsh*t. He says Pelosi is responsible for the GOP taking the House, and that's really going to help the MAGAts. Yeah, this is the Democrats' fault. How will it impact Joe Biden? :lol: Now they're saying the "Rebels" won't vote for adjournment and they need Democrats to help. Yeah, sure, after Scott Perry just disrespected Nancy Pelosi. :lol:

Mike Huckabee just said Fox News should chyron "House Taken Hostage: Day 2" and Kevin needs to "put his feet in concrete" and never give up. Don't let them adjourn, "don't give them food and water for a few days".

This is absolutely hilarious. Now America is starting to get the news, it always takes at least 24 hours. If this doesn't end toot sweet, it's a complete disaster that we'll be using for 671 days (until the 2024 Election).

OrlyLicious 🇺🇸 @Orly_licious 1m
With this WINNING start by the MAGA GOP, it's a great reminder for #KevinMcCarthy #MattGaetz #ScottPerry #JimJordan #BryanDonalds #LaurenBoebert that the #2024Election is in 671 days. 🇺🇸 This is a perfect use of the GOP's time! 🥳 #Speakerofthehouse #MAGAmeltdown #SpeakerShambles

671.JPG
671.JPG (34.25 KiB) Viewed 831 times
Lt Root Beer of the Mighty 699th. Fogbow 💙s titular Mama June in Fogbow's Favourite Show™ Mama June: From Not To Hot! Fogbow's Theme Song™ Edith Massey's "I Got The Evidence!" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C5jDHZd0JAg
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

McCarthy says: 'We're gonna break ... then go meet'

https://abcnews.go.com/Politics/live-up ... d=95854349
McCarthy is likely to continue negotiating into Wednesday night, after two days of failed speaker votes, and ABC News has learned that he is working to set up talks to attempt to come to an agreement with the group of 20 voting against him.

The logistics of such talks are still being nailed down -- and according to people close to him, there is no singular leader of this group of 20.

When this will happen is unclear. Democrats and some Republicans have not yet wanted to adjourn the House, meaning they do not have the votes for adjourning and then continuing negotiations.

:snippity:

McCarthy has already made some major concessions to his critics without winning their support. He has agreed to lower the threshold to five members to force a vote to remove the speaker -- known as a motion to vacate the chair.

Rep. Kevin McCarthy listens to the fifth round of votes in the House chamber as the Hous...Read More
Some anti-McCarthy members want this threshold to be lowered to one member.

Others have said that they want more responsibilities on the the panel charged with placing members on committees -- known as the steering committee -- and have proposed giving more members of the House Freedom Caucus and Republican Study Committee designated seats on it.

McCarthy would likely only agree to this if he knew he was able to flip enough votes.
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

In the 6th round Donalds has his usual 20 votes.
Ben-Prime
Verified: ✅MamaSaysI'mBonaFide

Post by Ben-Prime »

My feels encapsulated right now.

But the sunshine aye shall light the sky,
As round and round we run;
And the truth shall ever come uppermost,
And justice shall be done.

- Charles Mackay, "Eternal Justice"
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

House Republicans discussing 4-member negotiating teams to work through impasse, source says

Republicans are considering appointing four members each from the pro-Rep. Kevin McCarthy and anti-McCarthy camps to negotiate a path forward on choosing a House speaker, one GOP source tells CNN.

One Democratic lawmaker also tells CNN they overheard Rep. Jim Jordan tell members huddled on the House floor that McCarthy wants each side to appoint four members to negotiate after this sixth round of voting for House speaker.

The huddle came after McCarthy lost a fifth bid to secure the speakership, as a group of 20 Republicans remain opposed to the California Republican for the top position.
Dr. Ken

Post by Dr. Ken »

haahahahahahahaha
ImageImagePhilly Boondoggle
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

The new speaker, whoever it is, will have their lives made miserable by the Gang of 20.
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

Adjourned to 8 PM EST.
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
W. Kevin Vicklund

Post by W. Kevin Vicklund »

Freedumb Caecus :horse: Kevin McCarthy

Dems :popcorn:
pipistrelle

Post by pipistrelle »

Dr. Ken wrote: Wed Jan 04, 2023 4:29 pm haahahahahahahaha
Deleted, whatever it was.
Luke
Location: @orly_licious With Pete Buttigieg and the other "open and defiant homosexuals" --Bryan Fischer AFA

Post by Luke »

Dr. Ken, what was the tweet? It's been deleted :lol:

So OK, Hakeem said let them have their break until 8pm and watch them squirm. Democrats are magnanimous again for the nihilists. That guarantees it tops the evening news. Kevin McCarthy should be thinking of his outrageous conduct, running to Mar A Lago to take pix with the disgraced guy and not supporting Liz Cheney, Jaime Herrera Beutler, Peter Meijer and other sane Republicans that probably would have voted for him. He brought this all on himself and it's delicious. As of 4:45pm, Kevin just said "he's not going anywhere" and that the "majority of Republicans should decide policies". They're especially pissed that four of the NO votes are brand new Members who haven't even been sworn in yet.

Many MAGATs are saying they are thrilled, they want the government shut down forever. Recently restored Election Denier Rogan (thanks, Elon). "A Twitter spokesperson told Breitbart News that O’Handley’s account “was permanently suspended for repeated violations of its civic integrity policy.”
https://www.breitbart.com/tech/2021/02/ ... -ohandley/

Rogan O’Handley @DC_Draino 36m
I actually PREFER that Congress can’t get anything done and I’m not alone

Pointed out it is a great idea, but for some reason, none of his followers liked my tweet 😿😿😿

And MAGATs think we are TERRIFIED that Trump could be Speaker. 😱 Hey Realist, are we TERRIFIED about that prospect?

Lt Root Beer of the Mighty 699th. Fogbow 💙s titular Mama June in Fogbow's Favourite Show™ Mama June: From Not To Hot! Fogbow's Theme Song™ Edith Massey's "I Got The Evidence!" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C5jDHZd0JAg
Kendra

Post by Kendra »

A small upside to this kerfuffle is MSNBC is having David Jolley on air to comment from his perspective. :thumbsup: :bighug:
Dr. Ken

Post by Dr. Ken »

It was laura loomer tweeting this out

Apparently it was fake. It's hard to tell with trump anymore.
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

Byron Donalds' wife on The Tucker Carlson show:

https://www.thedailybeast.com/tucker-ca ... ouse-rules
“When I saw those COVID protocols, I definitely had to take a second thought about whether I wanted to attend and exert my freedom to live as a free person and exercise my right to eat and drink at a reception like everyone else, despite not being vaccinated,” Donalds said. She said she learned of the protocols after having RSVP’d and made travel plans.

Carlson agreed, and offered Donalds a suggestion.

“Well maybe you do it anyway,” the Fox News host said. “Maybe you show up, as is your right as an American. They don’t own the White House, by the way. They don’t get to make the rules. And just attack the hors d’oeuvre table, and have like eleven glasses of champagne, throw your arm around Dr. Jill and breathe on her. I’m serious. Has it occurred to you to do that?”

“Yes, I absolutely did think about going and just operating as a free person like I feel like I should be able to,” Donalds replied, adding she wasn’t sure how the rules would be enforced.
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
Dr. Ken

Post by Dr. Ken »

Can we just move Kevin to Dancing with the Stars already?
Jim

Post by Jim »

Dr. Ken wrote: Wed Jan 04, 2023 5:07 pm Can we just move Kevin to Dancing with the Stars already?
He'd be too scared about losing in the first round again.
Dr. Ken

Post by Dr. Ken »

bob wrote: Wed Jan 04, 2023 4:49 pm
You will build us a shrubbery! Then you will cut down the tallest tree with a herring.
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

Group of Republicans meeting in Emmer’s office right now

A group of Republicans are meeting in Rep. Tom Emmer’s office following Kevin McCarthy’s failure to clinch speaker for the sixth time.

The group includes Rep. Scott Perry, Rep. Chip Roy, Rep. Matt Gaetz, Rep. Lauren Boebert, Rep. Anna Paulina Luna, Rep. Byron Donalds, Rep. Jim Jordan and Rep. Thomas Massie.

It’s possible others were already inside when CNN arrived at the door.

“Of course, we’re going to get to 218. We just gotta find the right person,” Roy said as he walked into Emmer’s office moments ago.

Perry said the purpose of the meeting was to “hear what’s being offered” and Gaetz pledged that the McCarthy dissenters could continue to hold votes “until the cherry blossoms fall off the trees.”

Luna just left the office and shortly after Emmer walked in.
Suranis

Post by Suranis »

Just a reminder about some past McCarthy statements.

Hic sunt dracones
raison de arizona
Verified: ✔️ he/him/his

Post by raison de arizona »

Dr. Ken wrote: Wed Jan 04, 2023 5:07 pm It was laura loomer tweeting this out
https://twitter.com/Latinos4Trump/statu ... 3082493952

Apparently it was fake. It's hard to tell with trump anymore.
618A6EC3-E6C8-4708-998E-864D812EED23.png
618A6EC3-E6C8-4708-998E-864D812EED23.png (192.35 KiB) Viewed 575 times
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams

Return to “Current Politics”