Evangelicals Behaving Badly...

bill_g
Verified: ✅ Checked Republic ✓ ᵛᵉʳᶦᶠᶦᵉᵈ

Post by bill_g »

Neither do old issues of Penthouse, but I can guarantee the centerfold from June 72 does not look like that anymore.
Suranis

Post by Suranis »

bill_g wrote: Sat Jun 22, 2024 11:52 am Neither do old issues of Penthouse, but I can guarantee the centerfold from June 72 does not look like that anymore.
*looks it up out of curiosity* It was Nevenka Dundek.

NevD.jpg
NevD.jpg (34.6 KiB) Viewed 730 times
Hic sunt dracones
pipistrelle

Post by pipistrelle »

Suranis wrote: Sat Jun 22, 2024 12:17 pm
bill_g wrote: Sat Jun 22, 2024 11:52 am Neither do old issues of Penthouse, but I can guarantee the centerfold from June 72 does not look like that anymore.
*looks it up out of curiosity* It was Nevenka Dundek.

NevD.jpg
You may be an American-style evangelical if you look up centerfolds “out of curiosity.” :twisted:
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

Evangelicals need to have a long talk with Trump about commandments 7 through 10. ;)
“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
bob

Post by bob »

bill_g wrote: Sat Jun 22, 2024 10:12 am If it's *just* a historical document, it can be held in the library in a book along side other historical documents.
When Roy Moore dropped his rock in the SCoAL rotunda, the argument was it was part of the foundational law of Western civilization. And SCOTUS' east pediment has famous lawgivers, including Moses with the 10 Commandments.

But note, gentle reader, courthouses are not schoolhouses, and also aren't populated with children. (And Moore lost his case and his job over his rock.)
Image ImageImage
noblepa

Post by noblepa »

raison de arizona wrote: Fri Jun 21, 2024 6:19 pm "faith adviser to the Trump White House"

Only the best people...
That just shows the kind of faith practiced in the Trump Whitehouse.
MN-Skeptic

Post by MN-Skeptic »

I dare Louisiana to institute laws reflecting the commandment about remembering the Sabbath to keep it holy. Look to Orthodox Jews for guidance. No businesses can be open. No golf courses. No swimming pools. No shopping malls. Certainly no sporting events! Don't even think of driving your car on the Sabbath or using any electronic device. No computers, no cell phones. Spend the day with family and family. You may study your religious texts.

I bet most folks would be surprised that an Orthodox Jew won't even press an elevator button on their Sabbath. Elevators are programmed to just go up and down on the Sabbath, automatically opening on every floor.
raison de arizona
Verified: ✔️ he/him/his

Post by raison de arizona »

A former denizen of NYC, might I mention that Sabbath elevators suuuck. Imagine you get on the elevator and some miscreant has hit EVERY FLOOR. Takes forever.
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
bill_g
Verified: ✅ Checked Republic ✓ ᵛᵉʳᶦᶠᶦᵉᵈ

Post by bill_g »

MN-Skeptic wrote: Sat Jun 22, 2024 3:21 pm I dare Louisiana to institute laws reflecting the commandment about remembering the Sabbath to keep it holy. Look to Orthodox Jews for guidance. No businesses can be open. No golf courses. No swimming pools. No shopping malls. Certainly no sporting events! Don't even think of driving your car on the Sabbath or using any electronic device. No computers, no cell phones. Spend the day with family and family. You may study your religious texts.

I bet most folks would be surprised that an Orthodox Jew won't even press an elevator button on their Sabbath. Elevators are programmed to just go up and down on the Sabbath, automatically opening on every floor.
IIRC until the last two decades Germany had laws prohibiting working and trade on Sundays.

I remember growing up in Thuh Painhaindul uh Fladuh that pretty much everything was closed on Sunday. Around here the practicing Catholics from Central and South America cook Sunday's meal on Saturday - something that can be reheated easily. It's the day for family gatherings punctuated by the steccato of ESL crews working roofing and construction in the distance. Saturday evening before dusk is when the women with the tamale carts roam the neighborhood selling their fresh creations for cash.
MN-Skeptic

Post by MN-Skeptic »

Blue laws used to be very common among the states.

Until mid-2017, you couldn't buy liquor in Minnesota on Sundays.

You still can't buy a car in Minnesota on Sunday.
keith
Occupation: Retired Computer Systems Analyst Project Manager Super Coder
Verified: ✅lunatic

Post by keith »

bill_g wrote: Sat Jun 22, 2024 10:12 am If it's *just* a historical document, it can be held in the library in a book along side other historical documents. Codify that. Thou shalt have a book with the Ten Commandments in it on a shelf in the school library. There you go. See how easy that is?
There's too much sex and violence in that book. BANNED!
Be assured that a walk through the ocean of most souls Would scarcely get your feet wet
Ben-Prime
Verified: ✅MamaSaysI'mBonaFide

Post by Ben-Prime »

MN-Skeptic wrote: Sat Jun 22, 2024 3:21 pm I dare Louisiana to institute laws reflecting the commandment about remembering the Sabbath to keep it holy. Look to Orthodox Jews for guidance. No businesses can be open. No golf courses. No swimming pools. No shopping malls. Certainly no sporting events! Don't even think of driving your car on the Sabbath or using any electronic device. No computers, no cell phones. Spend the day with family and family. You may study your religious texts.

I mean, for that matter, does the law specify the 10Cs have to be in English? One could print up a poster with appropriate font size of the Hebrew version, I should think. I have already seen this as a meme on Facebook, but I wasn't sure enough of the facts of the LA law to share it.
But the sunshine aye shall light the sky,
As round and round we run;
And the truth shall ever come uppermost,
And justice shall be done.

- Charles Mackay, "Eternal Justice"
bob

Post by bob »

Ben-Prime wrote: Sat Jun 22, 2024 8:41 pmI mean, for that matter, does the law specify the 10Cs have to be in English?
Yes:
Image ImageImage
pipistrelle

Post by pipistrelle »

I demand the entire Code of Hammurabi be posted.
neonzx
Verified: 🤩✅✅✅✅✅🤩

Post by neonzx »

raison de arizona

Joe G @EastEndJoe wrote: This. Is. Fantastic!
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

:thumbsup:
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
raison de arizona

Rev. Benjamin Cremer @Brcremer wrote: As a pastor, I’ve experienced this far too often in my ministry.

When the way of Jesus sounds “liberal” or “weak” to us, that’s when we know we have replaced his gospel with our own partisan politics.
RTH10260
Verified: ✔️ Eurobot

Post by RTH10260 »

raison de arizona wrote: Tue Jun 25, 2024 11:34 am https://twitter.com/Brcremer/status/1805310235093221518
Rev. Benjamin Cremer @Brcremer wrote: As a pastor, I’ve experienced this far too often in my ministry.

When the way of Jesus sounds “liberal” or “weak” to us, that’s when we know we have replaced his gospel with our own partisan politics.

One could think that these church members are illiterate and have never opened their precious book cause it could challenge their intellect. :roll:

Upset cause the content of the book is actually their cherished KJV :shock:
raison de arizona

And here we find Ascension Catholic Church preparing for the next crusade, more at link.
Laura Burkhardt @LauraAnnSTL wrote: 🧵Ascension Catholic Church in Chesterfield, Missouri is actively recruiting young men, ages 18-29, to join their newly-formed militia.

Chesterfield has a violent crime rate of 0.71 per 1,000 residents, compared to 4 nationally and 4.88 in MO.
@MomsDemand @Everytown
Flatpoint High
Occupation: professional pain in the ass, voice actor & keeper of the straight face
Verified:

Post by Flatpoint High »

In the replies is this:
twitter_c833ac9787314e22921905f718b7385b.jpeg
twitter_c833ac9787314e22921905f718b7385b.jpeg (320.5 KiB) Viewed 156 times
Now imagine if a Mosque or Synagogue put out this type of call.
castigat ridendo mores.
VELOCIUS QUAM ASPARAGI COQUANTUR
RTH10260
Verified: ✔️ Eurobot

Post by RTH10260 »

"to establish platoons at parishes around the world"

far reaching plans. maybe check local legislation before collecting convictions for weapons traffiking and running thug gangs and terroristic activities.
northland10
Verified: ✅ I'm me.

Post by northland10 »

They took it down. If it was snuck on to the bulletin I am not sure how some guy pulled that off unless their communication staff were not paying attention. It looks like it could have been a paid ad (it does not completely fit the style of other stuff). I cannot imagine even the St. Louis diocese allow that.

101010 :towel:
raison de arizona

Huh. Weird. Back pedaling like crazy?
northland10
Verified: ✅ I'm me.

Post by northland10 »

raison de arizona wrote: Wed Jun 26, 2024 8:19 pm Huh. Weird. Back pedaling like crazy?
I am not going to read more into this than what I see. I don't know how it ended up in the bulletin and I am not going to let any bias make me assume it was something nefarious, not without more proof.

Actually, I am wondering if they got punk'd. The only Saint Lana I could find was a mathematician so I am thinking the whole thing was BS to begin with.

There is such a thing as a "militia" in the Roman Catholic world but it is not what we think of as a militia. Militia Immaculatae is an evangelical movement, not an armed militia.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Militia_Immaculatae
101010 :towel:

Return to “Earthlings Behaving”